Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Stheno wrote: »
    I think you are living in a dreamworld if you think we'll get to phase four by the start of next week tbh

I doubt anything will change now before June 8

Unfortunately I agree. Would be nice if they fast tracked but unless there are developments over the coming weeks they are committed to at least the timing already indicated. All the noise from the supreme leaders (Nphat) over the weekend is that they are prepared to lock back down again and the elected leaders are toeing the line - the Taoiseach has made some economic mutterings on relaxing things more but he quickly falls back into line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

seamus wrote: »
    Agreed. If anything has been consistent with Fine Gael, is that they are as a matter of policy cautious and risk averse. They will almost certainly wait until 8th June before they make any more major changes. However, at that stage I do expect a few things to be brought forward based on the experience of other countries, such as reopening creches for limited numbers, allowing all sports without spectators and allowing cafés and restaurants to reopen under strict guidelines that will be slowly relaxed over time.

At that point, assuming the numbers are all solid, they will potentially make phase 2 & 3, two-week periods before moving to phase 4 in early July.

Yes, that's what I'd hope for if everything goes well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The UK had over 3,500 new cases yesterday.

Going back to the usual travel patterns between us and GB would represent an enormous risk to the country.

I have said it many times the biggest risk to this country getting out of this quicker is the UK.

And they ask us not to quarantine their citizens? I'd say that's a hell of an easier request for them to make!

We should quarantine the sh!t out of them - 4 weeks min :pac:

If Harris signs the quarantine in you can be sure it will include the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52701524

What can happen if things are relaxed too much.

Below is what will 100% happen if restrictions arent relaxed. Dead certain btw, no ifs or buts or maybes

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/thousands-queue-at-food-banks-in-madrid-as-the-coronavirus-crisis-takes-an-economic-toll-1.4255418

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

wakka12 wrote: »
    I know the government will resist but I seriously cannot imagine the majority happily sitting at home for almost another month waiting for another tiny shift of changes while almost no new cases are announnced each day by then
    1:You can have the bug and be asymptomatic.
    2: You can have, and spread, the bug for 5 days before you show any symptoms
    3: It make take a week for the test results from 2 above
    So zip will happen for 2 weeks.
    There is no vaccine, so in the absence of one, the annualised C19 kill rate will hit north of 50,000 (1%) much, but not all, will add to the normal death rate of 33,00.
    The 50,000 will increase exponentially if the medical system collapses

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Below is what will 100% happen if restrictions arent relaxed. Dead certain btw, no ifs or buts or maybes

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/thousands-queue-at-food-banks-in-madrid-as-the-coronavirus-crisis-takes-an-economic-toll-1.4255418

Possible alright. It will be common sense that will prevail in the end not permanent lockdowns, all doing our bit to avoid the virus as much as we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

A certain amount of what's happening in Asia is theatre.
    Turns out spraying down the streets with disinfectant doesn't stop the spread of illness and is bad for public health.
    The disinfection processes for kids going to into schools doesn't work in any real way either, and exposes the children to a lot of chemicals.

We've seen from the start, that Asian countries are big on being seen to be doing something, whether it works or not.

The 8-hour turnaround in Hong Kong I have no doubt is at least some way effective, but its main goal is deterrence. To make it appear like the country is open, while discouraging anyone from coming unless they're willing to go through the process.

A proper isolate and test strategy would require two tests, a couple of days apart. Testing visitors once and then sending them into the country will miss anyone in the early stages of infection. To get 99%+ effectiveness, they would all need to be isolated for the mean incubation period (4/5 days?) and the retested before being sent on.

I think you are one of the few posters on here that understands how testing works, you would definitely need 4/5 days between testing I would also add that probably require 3 sites of testing oropharyngeal, Nasopharyngeal and stool to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If Harris signs the quarantine in you can be sure it will include the UK.

The British govt seems to believe differently...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52676899
    On Thursday, he said he understood the Irish government was reviewing plans to require travellers from Great Britain to observe a 14-day quarantine period

They seem of the belief that the common travel area takes precedent and what they say goes - in other words they don't quarantine us, we don't quarantine them.

That's not how it works.

The British govt seems to believe differently...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52676899

They seem of the belief that the common travel area takes precedent and what they say goes - in other words they don't quarantine us, we don't quarantine them.

That's not how it works.

I don’t know, we’ll have to see. My money is on that there will be a quarantine but maybe temporary.

This was the weekend of May bank holiday. Have not seen one since.

Been more than one going in/out of the nearest town to us each weekend and some week days since March from what I have seen.

Good few around Navan also from what I heard, but don't go there regularly, so only seen two when I went there over the last 8 weeks

Missus has to travel six days a week for work and has been stopped loads of times and then allowed through, often by the same garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Highly unlikely' weddings of up to 100 people allowed by July, Simon Harris says
    Small weddings are due to be permitted by 20 July, according to the government roadmap out of lockdown.

"Speaking on RTÉ radio’s Morning Ireland, Simon Harris said he can’t give a specific number of attendees for a small wedding at this time, but this will be advised in the future.

I think it’s highly unlikely that we would be in a position where there would be anything like 100 people being able to be able to be at a wedding in July, it’s likely to be a very very small number of people."

https://www.thejournal.ie/small-weddings-coronavirus-lockdown-5101365-May2020/

Some plan where even now they can't tell what a small wedding or a large wedding is

Other countries plan on being fully open at that stage whilst we will be limited to very very small number of people

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Highly unlikely' weddings of up to 100 people allowed by July, Simon Harris says
    Small weddings are due to be permitted by 20 July, according to the government roadmap out of lockdown.

"Speaking on RTÉ radio’s Morning Ireland, Simon Harris said he can’t give a specific number of attendees for a small wedding at this time, but this will be advised in the future.

I think it’s highly unlikely that we would be in a position where there would be anything like 100 people being able to be able to be at a wedding in July, it’s likely to be a very very small number of people."

Some plan where even now they can't tell what a small wedding or a large wedding is

Other countries plan on being fully open at that stage whilst we will be limited to very very small number of people

Not to fear, Czech republic will allow indoor weddings of up to 1000 people before July. Just pity Irish hotels will miss out on so much revenue while participating in Simon's battle to defeat the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

Spain's economy was in a worse place than ours to start with and is disproportionately based on tourism, which is the hardest hit industry. I also have no idea what financial supports their government have put in place, but the 350 euros per week you get here should be more than enough to keep food on anyone's table.

And even if not, if push comes to shove, if it came to a choice between thousands suffering the indignity of queuing for food, and thousands dying, it's still a no brainer decision.

Not to fear, Czech republic will allow indoor weddings of up to 1000 people before July. Just pity Irish hotels will miss out on so much revenue while participating in Simon's battle to defeat the virus.

Ours will prob be limited to 50

Another example of how over cautious they are with our plan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Yeah I listened to that interview earlier and it was really just a oh well we're looking at it. No substance what so ever. It was pushed back to we'll take whatever the medical advice is.

But yeah some countries will be open by then and we'll be the last in Europe to open up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Harris interview this morning.

He appears to be saying that the 5km is in all circumstances bar extenuating, so no trips outside 5km for shopping etc?

I'm confused at this stage

Oh and we all need to "cop on"
    In response to questions about the so-called “phase one” limited lifting of restrictions introduced to combat Covid-19, Mr Harris said the five kilometre rule still applied, although exceptions could be made if medical care was required.

He was given the example of a couple, both aged 79, cocooning since beginning of March in Kerry, who wanted to return to their principle residence in Dublin and then go back to Kerry after a couple of days.

“Simple answer is they definitely cannot go back. This is the real challenge and pain of the virus, that people find themselves having gone to visit relatives and not being able to get back to where they need to, I get that.

“But the reality of the challenge is we need people to keep within five kilometres of where they’re currently residing to stop the spread of the virus.

“Of course there are extenuating circumstances - if you need for care reasons, or medical reasons to get back somewhere else that’s fully understandable, but you can’t obviously move from one house and back again.”

In reply to a question whether a bouncy castle business could reopen from today, the Minster said no, that it was difficult to practice social distancing on a bouncy castle.

Beaches are now open, he said, and people could drive five kilometres to walk on a beach, but they should apply social distancing rules while there.

“The virus is potentially within us and we’re asking people to stay at home as much as possible and extra movement brings extra risk,” he said.

Cemeteries are outdoor areas and should be open from today, depending on local authorities, but again the five kilometre travel limit still applies, he said.

The government had no plans to nationalise public hospitals, Mr Harris said in response to a question about transplant operations in public hospitals, but a future government could examine that issue, he added.

It was in the interest of the construction industry “to get this right”, he said of the return to work today. “If they don’t they will be closed down.”

Mr Harris said that today is an important day and that he was both pleased and nervous about phase one of the easing of restrictions. Mr Harris said he was pleased that the efforts of the Irish people had brought us this far, but nervous because the virus had not gone away.

There needed to be a “collective sense of cop on”, he added.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/weddings-with-100-guests-highly-unlikely-to-be-allowed-this-summer-harris-1.4256114

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

It's simple. If you're at risk or feel like you don't want to be outdoors or far from your home - stay the f*ck home or near it.

If you're under 60 and otherwise healthy, even more so for young people, you should be allowed to go as and where you please.

Enough of this horsesh*t.

More people die of cigarettes and other things each year than this.

If you think this is an epidemic, wait to you see the aftermath of this; mental health such as anxiety cases etc will soar as we come to the end of this. The longer this imposed "lockdown" goes on the worse it gets.

For the June Bank holiday weekend, if people want to go to their holiday homes, let the garda f*ck off and let people live a little.

quokula wrote: »
    Spain's economy was in a worse place than ours to start with and is disproportionately based on tourism, which is the hardest hit industry. I also have no idea what financial supports their government have put in place, but the 350 euros per week you get here should be more than enough to keep food on anyone's table.

And even if not, if push comes to shove, if it came to a choice between thousands suffering the indignity of queuing for food, and thousands dying, it's still a no brainer decision.

Not that simple actually. Unless you only care about Ireland. What about millions of hunger deaths on other continents that will accelerate if Ireland and in fact other economies are unable to contribute?

350 a week runs out end of June. Unlikely to be extended by more than 4 weeks, then we ll need to put hundreds of thousands on 820 eur per month income. This is when the choice will get that much tougher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

road_high wrote: »
    Yes but the jobs and economic activity most certainly are. Every job is essntial.

I said takeaway is allowed - this preserves all the jobs.

But sitting down to have a chat with friends for an hour or two in a confined space, without a mask, is not essential.

• Advertisement

And lets not forget that public sector taxes are going towards supporting people who aren't working. 350 euro should mean nobody starves in Ireland due to been out of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stheno wrote: »
    Harris interview this morning.

He appears to be saying that the 5km is in all circumstances bar extenuating, so no trips outside 5km for shopping etc?

I'm confused at this stage

Oh and we all need to "cop on"

The bouncy castle thing could be easily worked around by only allowing one at a time on the bouncy castle, sanitise between turns. Probably a lot safer generally too as you won't have kids smacking heads off each other. A little less intransigence and more engagement would be good.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/weddings-with-100-guests-highly-unlikely-to-be-allowed-this-summer-harris-1.4256114[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yeah I listened to that interview earlier and it was really just a oh well we're looking at it. No substance what so ever. It was pushed back to we'll take whatever the medical advice is.

But yeah some countries will be open by then and we'll be the last in Europe to open up.

I can't listen to that lad. He's just a moralising little know all "oh you shouldn't be doing that" type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Or even opt for a normal test with the usual 2/3 day results, better than 14 days.

Yep that's a good idea.

5 day quarantine to allow for covid 19 to manifest. Then do the test. Pass - out of quarantine. Fail, remain in quarantine. Something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

The 5km limit only applies to travelling for leisure/exercise.

If you need to go to a mechanic, an optician, a hardware shop or a doctor, then the 5km limit doesn't apply.

This is how it will be until 10th August.

They won’t be able to keep people in lockdown until the 10th August. They have likely made an overly cautious roadmap but will likely bring these forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And they ask us not to quarantine their citizens? I'd say that's a hell of an easier request for them to make!

We should quarantine the sh!t out of them - 4 weeks min :pac:
    We can isolate people landing in the Republic from wherever we want.

We have no control over the ports in the North though, and there is no practical way to police visitors coming over the border; especially if they landed in Belfast.

At best we could stop all yellow regs and order them back over the border, but that's not too practical either given the volume of commercial traffic crossing the border.

It's a massive open hole in any containment strategy. While I'm glad to see that the rest of the UK isn't following England's lead on their suicide run, I can't see Stormont going as far as quarantining other UK citizens. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Mr Harris said he was pleased that the efforts of the Irish people had brought us this far, but nervous because the virus had not gone away.

This was not the goal Simon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

Not that simple actually. Unless you only care about Ireland. What about millions of hunger deaths on other continents that will accelerate if Ireland and in fact other economies are unable to contribute?

350 a week runs out end of June. Unlikely to be extended by more than 4 weeks, then we ll need to put hundreds of thousands on 820 eur per month income. This is when the choice will get that much tougher

Ending lockdown in Ireland isn't going to feed other continents, stop trying to portray selfishness as a virtue.

Ah so you can drive within the 5km not just exercise. I had a poster stomping their feet because i asked that earlier.

• Advertisement

They seem more likely to delay than bring things forward if the experience of homeware in phase 1 is anything to go by

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement