Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Your concerns over Brazil covid impact and 0.007% of their population dying has been addressed multiple times last week.

Why do you keep bringing this up? Brazil has over 210,000,000 people... this thread is about Ireland lifting restrictions.

As is more people have died from road crashes in Brazil than Covid this year...

Surely on a day of packed busses, construction workers breaking social distancing as early as 9:01 AM, you would have other topics to discuss?

Jair Bolsonaro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Your concerns over Brazil covid impact and 0.007% of their population dying has been addressed multiple times last week.

Why do you keep bringing this up? Brazil has over 210,000,000 people... this thread is about Ireland lifting restrictions.

Surely on a day of packed busses, construction workers breaking social distancing as early as 9:01 AM, you would have other topics to discuss?

And how many of Brazil's 210 million people have a quality of life comparable to the average Irish person? It's an utterly ridiculous comparison people are making and they're the very same ones who mocked people for comparing Ireland to Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Does anyone know when DIY shops/Ikea will reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Ye cant be comparing us to Sweden, too many cultural differences blah blah but here have ye seen Brazil though!!

The latest figures I can see for car crashed in Brazil is 2017 with 27000. So more people have died from COVID-19 than car crashes if we work off those figures. You don't dictate what I want to talk about by the way. But keep going with your false statistics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Mic 1972 wrote: »

Hardware stores should be open today

Homeware like IKEA in three weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Monday the 18th of May.

Ooops sorry my bad, thats a typo, June 8th i believe along with other small retail outlets i presume.

And no i dont know what defines a small retail outlet either or no deinition as to what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DIY shops are already open.

There's no specific guidance on IKEA, but given that it has a huge retail space and no doubt has a detailed plan on how to maintain social distancing, I expect they'll be able to open in phase 2 or 3.

8th June I if all goes to plan.
    Unless there are more typo's on the plan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    And how many of Brazil's 210 million people have a quality of life comparable to the average Irish person? It's an utterly ridiculous comparison people are making and they're the very same ones who mocked people for comparing Ireland to Sweden

Likewise amusing how the people who couldn't get enough about Sweden are outraged at the mention of Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Hardware stores are only open if it is absolutely essential. The advice remains to stay home.

The latest figures I can see for car crashed in Brazil is 2017 with 27000. So more people have died from COVID-19 than car crashes if we work off those figures. You don't dictate what I want to talk about by the way. But keep going with your false statistics :)

Actually 16,000 have died from covid in Brazil so he's right by a good 11,000.

Carol25 wrote: »
    I’m just reading Luke O’Neil’s article in the Irish Independent and took this direct quote from the article:

‘The Irish Government is taking things cautiously, most likely because we are not where we want to be with testing, tracing and isolating. As well as protecting the vulnerable, this has to be the number one priority right now’.

We’ve been closed since March...and they still have not the strictures in place that we need re testing. There needs to be more transparency with the public on what exactly is going on behind the scenes.
    This is costing lives, billions of Euros and thousands of jobs, the stakes could not be higher and the media’s incompetence in publishing the relevant information has been very poor during this crisis.

Everyone in the world is looking for testing materials

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The mandatory 14 day quarantine upon entry to the country should've been brought in when the schools closed.

The fact that it still hasn't been brought in is a complete and utter joke.

I still haven't heard a good explanation from anyone in power as to why it hasn't been implemented.

The government need to grow a pair of balls and stop ****ing dithering.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Likewise amusing how the people who couldn't get enough about Sweden are outraged at the mention of Brazil.

So you feel that Brazil has more in common with ireland? I posted a big list of similarities Ireland and Sweden share already so I feel it's not an unfair comparison to draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

This thing of queuing outside shops doesn't make sense to me. Not everybody is 2 metres apart. When you go into the shop itself the aisles have only 1 or 2 people on them.

You have to be at least 15 mins in close contact with an infected person, so you are more likely to get it standing in a long queue with others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I dont dictate by any means, a friendly advice given a lot of OT conversations yesterday.

Below is from WHO. I dont know why but given population has grew, and Brazil government not really being on top of their game, I dont see how deaths per year would decrease since.

"Road safety in Brazil. The Global status report on road safety 2013 estimates that more than 43 800 people are killed in road traffic crashes in Brazil every year. Road traffic crashes are a leading cause of death, injury and hospitalization, resulting in high economic and social costs."

43,800 / 12 x 5 = more deaths than COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics

Approximately 1.35 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,700 people lose their lives every day on the roads.

https://www.asirt.org/safe-travel/road-safety-facts/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Conte..

Very few masks worn at the supermearket today

Still some idiots afraid to pass me on the footpath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

risteard7 wrote: »
    This thing of queuing outside shops doesn't make sense to me. Not everybody is 2 metres apart. When you go into the shop itself the aisles have only 1 or 2 people on them.

You have to be at least 15 mins in close contact with an infected person, so you are more likely to get it standing in a long queue with others?

The theory is its harder to spread the virus outdoors afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

The theory is its harder to spread the virus outdoors afaik

Maybe so, just my tuppence worth

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

risteard7 wrote: »

Shops can't really police what people do when they stand in a queue outside.

One would hope that people queuing would have the sense to maintain distance and ask anyone who isn't, to stand back.

If someone can't follow a simple instruction to queue at a distance, what hope is there that they would keep their distance inside a busy shop? At least if the shop is quiet, then the damage that the mouth breathers can do is limited.

I dont dictate by any means, a friendly advice given a lot of OT conversations yesterday.

Below is from WHO. I dont know why but given population has grew, and Brazil government not really being on top of their game, I dont see how deaths per year would decrease since.

"Road safety in Brazil. The Global status report on road safety 2013 estimates that more than 43 800 people are killed in road traffic crashes in Brazil every year. Road traffic crashes are a leading cause of death, injury and hospitalization, resulting in high economic and social costs."

43,800 / 12 x 5 = more deaths than COVID.

Data I've seen suggests that there was only 27000 road deaths in 2017 which is more recent.

27000 over 12 months Vs 16000 over 5 months. Also, traffic will be down this year in Brazil so presumably road traffic accidents will be too. Also, the covid figure is dynamic, I was just correcting the poster misunderstanding (s)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

And lets not forget that public sector taxes are going towards supporting people who aren't working. 350 euro should mean nobody starves in Ireland due to been out of work.

Public sector pay comes from the public purse, the same as the €350.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Enough of this horsesh*t.

More people die of cigarettes and other things each year than this.
    Some US data for March/April in a (hopefully) easy-to-understand animation.
    https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

polesheep wrote: »
    Public sector pay comes from the public purse, the same as the €350.

Still get taxed. Do people on the 350 euro a week get taxed on that? I don't actually know. I actually make quite substantial cost savings for the HSE that multiples of my salary.

Also get taxed on consultancy work I do for pharmaceutical companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well, there are thousands of unreported deaths in Brazil.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/brazil-manaus-coronavirus-mass-graves
    The situation is really really bad there, in a few weeks multiples of the annual car crash fatalities will have died from COVID in brazil. But it still is not comparable or applicable to irish circumstances

Brazil will be the worst affected nation on earth, it is incredibly densely populated with huge poverty levels ,almost no lockdown. a large elderly population for a developing country and many of native descent who appear to have even less immunity than most people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Still get taxed. Do people on the 350 euro a week get taxed on that? I don't actually know. I actually make quite substantial cost savings for the HSE that multiples of my salary.

Also get taxed on consultancy work I do for pharmaceutical companies.

The point is the tax you pay is just some of the money that the state paid to you from the public purse coming back. It does not aid the state in paying the €350 or any other payment it has to make during the lockdown. That's why it is essential to get business up and running again. BTW I am very happy to pay for public services, that is not the issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement