Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Still get taxed. Do people on the 350 euro a week get taxed on that? I don't actually know. I actually make quite substantial cost savings for the HSE that multiples of my salary.

Also get taxed on consultancy work I do for pharmaceutical companies.

If you were to donate your cape to mask manufacturers it would solve any shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Data I've seen suggests that there was only 27000 road deaths in 2017 which is more recent.

Data you've seen? Suggests?

Is this what you heard in your hospital again?

On a more relevant note

"Almost a quarter of businesses have stopped trading and a third have laid off staff - CSO

“Two of every three responding enterprises in the construction sector had ceased trading either temporarily or permanently as of 3 May 2020,” the CSO said, adding that 70pc of firms in the accommodation and food sector were closed.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/almost-a-quarter-of-businesses-have-stopped-trading-and-a-third-have-laid-off-staff-cso-39213290.html

We clearly need to bring forward phase 5 and 4 into June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭uli84

The doom and gloom coming from the politicians and the media is shocking, they should seriously be sent to the worst affected countries to see what ‘bad’ really is.

polesheep wrote: »
    If you were to donate your cape to mask manufacturers it would solve any shortage.

So begrudging, So I reduce HSE expenditure and I get vilified.

My tax is the same as your tax. It all goes back to the exchequer, therefore I am contributing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

uli84 wrote: »
    The doom and gloom coming from the politicians and the media is shocking, they should seriously be sent to the worst affected countries to see what it really is.

A perfect example of the sure why did we bother with all these restrictions when we're not that badly affected by it argument, an argument which always puts on display the person's making it abject failure of logic and cause and affect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Conte.. wrote: »
    Still some idiots afraid to pass me on the footpath

why do you consider them idiots? What do you think they are afraid of? the virus or upsetting you?

You could have some conspiracy theory nutjob who thinks there is no virus at all, and that nutjob would probably still give people a wide berth out of respect for them.

As you call them idiots I take it you do NOT give people any more room than normal on footpaths? are you seriously walking past old grannies as closely as you would have before all this? you are likely terrifying them if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

So begrudging, So I reduce HSE expenditure and I get vilified.

My tax is the same as your tax. It all goes back to the exchequer, therefore I am contributing.

We all pay tax. The point is that we have to get non-public service jobs up and running again in order to get more money into the public purse so that we can continue to pay for public services and continue to pay those who cannot go back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yes but that is in a very densely populated country, I would imagine many of the people living in slums are also in poorer health than most Irish people. Ireland will probably turn out like Sweden ; deaths increasing a lot but not to as unmanageable levels as what Brazil and New York and other densely populated areas experienced

Is it possible that we are further along then Brazil in the life cycle of this virus?.I think the real test will be in the poorer countries. If they have falling numbers in a few weeks without good lockdown or medical services maybe just maybe this virus is weakening by its self. Granted the human cost is still way to high but it will give an idea of second waves etc. I don't know.

polesheep wrote: »
    We all pay tax. The point is that we have to get non-public service jobs up and running again in order to get more money into the public purse so that we can continue to pay for public services and continue to pay those who cannot go back to work.

In a safe manner. I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

I would reckon this is the relaxation before the next lockdown remember Spanish flu came in 3 waves the last 2 more deadly than the 1st. Sorry to play devils advocate. The 2nd wave affected more young people and was a deadlier strain. The 3rd more deadly than the 1st but not as deadly as the second - effecting more of the Australia region. Late autumn/winter is when it will renew its onslaught. Just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭growleaves

nickkinneg wrote: »
    I would reckon this is the relaxation before the next lockdown remember Spanish flu came in 3 waves the last 2 more deadly than the 1st. Sorry to play devils advocate. The 2nd wave affected more young people and was a deadlier strain. The 3rd more deadly than the 1st but not as deadly as the second - effecting more of the Australia region. Late autumn/winter is when it will renew its onslaught. Just my opinion

Apology not accepted.

There have been many pandemics during the 20th century and down through the centuries. There is no particular reason to be believe the worst ones are relevant to our situation here and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

For every worst case scenario there is a best case scenario. I'm sure there has also been examples of pandemics where the second wave was less deadly than the first. Is there any reason to believe the situation will evolve more like the former than the latter? Nobody knows

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

Playground in the centre of my town full of parents and children yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Conte.. wrote: »
    Very few masks worn at the supermearket today

Still some idiots afraid to pass me on the footpath

What is with this? I was wearing a mask in the city a few days ago and most people were looking at me like I have 2 heads. It's usually the middle aged women and older people who do it, young people seem to either wear a mask themselves or not look twice at someone wearing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Biscuitus wrote: »

Hopefully u reported it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

For every worst case scenario there is a best case scenario. I'm sure there has also been examples of pandemics where the second wave was less deadly than the first. Is there any reason to believe the situation will evolve more like the former than the latter? Nobody knows

if the antibodies are strong and lasting any new wave will be less devastating than this one. The Spanish flue, being a flue, didn't provide good antibodies and people could catch it multiple times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's hardly shocking is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

murpho999 wrote: »

Nope just chiming in to point out how people will relax restrictions themselves regardless of the governments plan. Every weekend it's been a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Benimar

murpho999 wrote: »

Given they aren't supposed to open until June 29th, I'd say it is, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    if the antibodies are strong and lasting any new wave will be less devastating than this one. The Spanish flue, being a flue, didn't provide good antibodies and people could catch it multiple times
    Where are you getting this? It is now understood that those who got 'Spanish flu' in the first wave were the lucky ones as they had immunity against the second deadlier wave.
    The fact that most of those who recovered from first-wave infections had become immune showed that it must have been the same strain of flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sorry but it's been said numerous times you simply can't compare the spanish flu to this now. There is so much different now than then. There may well be a second wave or there might not be, there hasn't been in other countries at this moment.

risteard7 wrote: »
    This thing of queuing outside shops doesn't make sense to me. Not everybody is 2 metres apart. When you go into the shop itself the aisles have only 1 or 2 people on them.

You have to be at least 15 mins in close contact with an infected person, so you are more likely to get it standing in a long queue with others?

Most shops I have seen have marked out 2 meters on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Iran is now experiencing a second wave it seems after relaxing restrictions, despite the population apparently having a large number of people with antibodies. Cases growing consistently by several hundred daily over the last 14 days, reported 2300 new cases today, the highest number since April 5th

I'm sure the "pro economic brigade" on here would be whinging about how dare the government eased the restrictions if there is a second wave?:rolleyes:

Related to the virus, there is no indication that there will be a severe second wave, we will have a rise of some sort going into winter months but as for the virus mutating to be more fatal. I believe this is unlikely.

Another issue is that irregardless of age, if you are admitted to ICU, you still have a 50% chance of dying even though we have been living with the virus for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Nope just chiming in to point out how people will relax restrictions themselves regardless of the governments plan. Every weekend it's been a little more.

Naturally. Irony in all this is that majority of people who have been told to stay at home have been watching netflix, that have showed plenty of series and moves where there is 0 social distancing, 0 masks, 0 gloves

And then these same people are expected to practice social distancing once they go pick up some milk or interact with friends.

Talk about confusing messages, especially for under 21s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Iran is now experiencing a second wave it seems after relaxing restrictions, despite the population apparently having a large number of people with antibodies. Cases growing consistently by several hundred daily over the last 14 days, reported 2300 new cases today, the highest number since April 5th

Well - on that basis we have to go back to Phase 0.

That is scary. Should give some people pause for thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Conte..

Might be as well now for the virus to spread while we have the chance

Before holohan and varadkar get the jitters again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can you say for sure whether they are following the social distancing? I saw a veritable horde out walking yesterday, probably 20-30 in each direction but social distancing all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Widely acknowledged Iran are cooking their numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement