Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

polesheep wrote: »
    That is not a valid source. Do you have a source for Ireland? If not, then your claim has no validity.

Love that you are suggesting an audit has no validity.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    75 out of 387 is 19.38%

I can only speak from the internal figures from my hospital which are broadly similar to the ICNARC numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

That particular audit has no validity for Ireland. KrustyUCC has given us the figures and the fact is that one has a less than 20% chance of dying in an Irish ICU from Covid-19. Therefore, you were wrong in your claim of 50%.

Your number of 50% has been demonstrated to not be correct for Ireland

I can only speak from the internal figures from my hospital which are broadly similar to the ICNARC numbers.

You are an anonymous poster on the Internet. You could be Rin Tin Tin for all I know. Without a source to support your claim, it is mere opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Is this the same hospital that had a 300% increase in cases yesterday?

Maybe the problem is your hospital...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Well I find it horrifying that there are people who are dying off cancer but covid19 is put down as cause of death on death cert. How can you expect to treat covid even remotely serious if such stories circulate and they are clearly valid?

Perhaps explains why RTE/NPHET not once said what underlying conditions any person dying from covid had in the state, in the 60 + news episodes now.

You are gas, you take so much out of context and put up what suits your narrative! Fairly sustained throughout this thread.
    This poster mentioned a personal story of one person he knew , fair enough.
    Nobody said anything about multiple people dying of cancer being registered as Covid 19 deaths.
    These deaths are gone through with a fine tooth comb after registration by NPHET who do have pathology experts on contract . Some are de- registered after the event as they are not considered Covid related even though positive!
    The statistics are important for how the virus will be contained and treated.
    Why in God's name do you think that there is some conspiracy with RTEand NPHET?
    They have repeatedly stated the underlying conditions and the numbers of those that have them, but you probably didn't bloody listen, like you don't listen to anyone who posts anything you don't agree with.

It's not masks some of you need , but tinfoil hats!

Your number of 50% has been demonstrated to not be correct for Ireland

Jesus Christ. I didn't say the data was from Ireland. I said the ICU in my hospital broadly matched the ICNARC data.

brokensoul wrote: »
    Is this the same hospital that had a 300% increase in cases yesterday?

Maybe the problem is your hospital...

Could be or it could be people using Reddit as a source.:confused:

Jesus Christ. I didn't say the data was from Ireland. I said the ICU in my hospital broadly matched the ICNARC data.

That is a meaningless comment for reason that I pointed out in my comment above. You are anonymous. Without a legitimate source your opinions are simply that, opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

uli84 wrote: »
    Harris '"We need people to stay within 5km to stop the spread of the virus.'' - where did he get that from or is it the case of he says that so it's right?
    jeez, you do start to wonder how other countries are managing.
    He's just reminding people of the current regulations and not to head cross country without a good reason. He's been doing that all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

US deaths have passed 90000 it’s reported from the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You are gas, you take so much out of context and put up what suits your narrative! Fairly sustained throughout this thread.
    Nobody said anything about multiple people dying of cancer being registered as Covid 19 deaths.

Interesting how when Dazzer makes a claim a valid source must be supplied. But a story detailing one case can be magnified multiples without any source.

That is a meaningless comment for reason that I pointed out in my comment above. You are anonymous. Without a legitimate source your opinions are simply that, opinions.

What evidence have you provided? You seem quite agitated? Maybe I could recommend some quetiapine?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Interesting how when Dazzer makes a claim a valid source must be supplied. But a story detailing one case can be magnified multiples without any source.

I am the poster that requested a source from that poster. I have not magnified any other post without a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

And said Reddit poster copy and pastes directly from gov.ie and dept of health figures. Hence the source is government figures so not exactly made up ones

What evidence have you provided, hurler on the ditch?

You made the claim, not I.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Day one of phase 1 and already all we are hearing is that if things go anyway wrong we will be going back into lockdown.
    We are no more going to go back than the man in the moon. No EU country has gone back yet and they are way ahead of us in terms of lifting restrictions. I wish they (Harris and Holohan especially) would stop taking to us like bold children.
    Do feel like a bold child? How long has this been the case?

What evidence have you provided? You seem quite agitated? Maybe I could recommend some quetiapine?

So you are now suggesting that another poster take an anti-psychotic drug. How you have avoided moderation is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

More hospitalisations in under 65s than over 65s though. It depends what stats you are looking at. Just looking at deaths is a simplistic analysis of the effect that COVID-19 can have medically.

Yes ,and maybe not as many dying in younger age groups but for a lot of people who end up hospitalised ,and its very nasty.
    People with no underlying conditions fighting for their lives with severe pneumonia , and having multi organ failure and strokes .
    These are not the majority of people infected but it's a bit of Russian Roullette as to who, out of a group of 10 younger infected people , is going to be the one in hospital one ventilator.
    No they don't talk about these things on the briefings . Maybe it's time they did ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Why are people actually bothering to reply . You are being played like a violin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Goldengirl wrote: »
    These deaths are gone through with a fine tooth comb after registration by NPHET who do have pathology experts on contract . Some are de- registered after the event as they are not considered Covid related even though positive!
    The statistics are important for how the virus will be contained and treated.
    Why in God's name do you think that there is some conspiracy with RTEand NPHET?
    They have repeatedly stated the underlying conditions and the numbers of those that have them, but you probably didn't bloody listen, like you don't listen to anyone who posts anything you don't agree with.

It's not masks some of you need , but tinfoil hats!

Not even remotely true. This is not the first poster that I see that informs us of cancer patient dying off cancer but being reported as covid death.

Why do you assume I base my judgement on the poster alone?

BTW from earlier poster it is quite obvious nearly everybody has had an underlying condition.

Deaths: 1506
    Hospitalised + died in hospital: 615 41%
    Died in ICU: 75 5%
    Underlying conditions: 1305 87%
    Median age: 84
    Mean age: 82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

So you are now suggesting that another poster take an anti-psychotic drug. How you have avoided moderation is beyond me.

He's more impervious than bloody Superman at this point.

In fairness, early data, especially from Italy, did indicate up to 50% of patients admitted to ICU were dying. As hospitals have learned however the way patients have been treated has been greatly improved. No one is talking of ventilators anymore, and that's because it has been identified that only in certain clinical presentations or as a last resort is ventilation an appropriate treatment. One of the main ways this was identified was through the shortage of ventilators in northern Italy, where certain patients were put on oxygen as they waited for vents to become available, but this cohort were sometimes found to have better outcomes then those already on ventillation

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/how-is-this-possible-researchers-grapple-with-covid-19s-mysterious-mechanism

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Quit it with the smartarsery. Take 24 hours away from the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Huh? All most people want is a reasonable time frame for the current plan.

I have issues with the ordering of items in certain phases, but the real problem is we are taking 3 months to execute our plan, when the rest of Europe have already eased things we are waiting until July and August for.
    I think most people who want easing agree that our plan should be shorter and with some phases rolled into another. In line with the rest of Europe.

I still haven't seen a reasonable explanation why we are the only ones who need to drag it out to August when the rest of Europe are already at that stage now or by early June. Why are we different?

And saying "they locked down before us" is all well and good, but at the most anywhere was ahead was 2 to 3 weeks, it does not explain why our reopening plan is 2-3 months longer.

This thread seems to have veered more into the realm of whether the restrictions should have been imposed in the first place (maybe that could be it's own thread), this is a pointless argument as what's done is done, and is irrelevant now - all that matters now is how we get back out of it.

Couldnt agree more,

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Just walked past a playground that Cork council taped up around late March. The tape has been torn down and kids playing in it. They're being watched of course but it's good to see.

Fcxking delighted. Of all the places that present risk, outdoors is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

In fairness, early data, especially from Italy, did indicate up to 50% of patients admitted to ICU were dying. As hospitals have learned however the way patients have been treated has been greatly improved. No one is talking of ventilators anymore, and that's because it has been identified that only in certain clinical presentations or as a last resort is ventilation an appropriate treatment. One of the main ways this was identified was through the shortage of ventilators in northern Italy, where certain patients were put on oxygen as they waited for vents to become available, but this cohort were sometimes found to have better outcomes then those already on ventillation

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/how-is-this-possible-researchers-grapple-with-covid-19s-mysterious-mechanism

This might also account for at least some of the significant decline in deaths in Spain, Italy, France etc.

Lockdowns have helped, but without doubt doctors have applied better practices.

I think ICU and ventilators go hand in hand, whereas other methods keep them out of ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

I think the government is right in being very cautious with relaxing the restrictions- it’s too high stakes - countries like Iran and parts of Africa are having to deal with two plagues - the other one being the millions of devouring locusts eating all in front of them - which means no food - this has not being obviously as widely reported

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

nickkinneg wrote: »
    I think the government is right in being very cautious with relaxing the restrictions- it’s too high stakes - countries like Iran and parts of Africa are having to deal with two plagues - the other one being the millions of devouring locusts eating all in front of them - which means no food - this has not being obviously as widely reported

They are right to be cautious but they also have to hold their nerve when cases or clusters appear. South Korea should be the example. No generalised lockdown. Instead they try to track down every case through a significant and well established contact tracing system.

Even today with hardware stores opening up here, it would be very difficult to trace all customers of a particular store. The only way they could do that is credit card transactions. But with GDPR I don't think that's even possible any more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement