Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Nope, haven't seen anyone with one. Had been a few in the weeks gone by but none that I saw today.

Was out and about yesterday evening, saw about 500 people. One person about 80 wearing a mask, which was understandable.

Looks like this farce is rapidly being forgotten by most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I dont think you fully understand how this works.

9/10 places serving lunch in city centre have people in the kitchen making food, have people at the counter taking in cash/payment, have staff who clean /look after the seating area and some businesses will have security.

If these businesses "adapt" to your proposal, 75% of jobs will be lost and only jobs that will remain are the kitchen ones.

When do we start creating "more jobs" as you say?

Its not doom and gloom, i am very sorry to tell you this, its the reality. 28% CSO unemployment figure is a reality. What we are discussing here is how much will that % be when we are at 10th of August. If businesses adapt to takeaways then this figure may very well be 18% - 20% into the future.

Astonishing to see the same level of gloom from someone with a degree or master as you stated before.
    I won't engage further but any business will require a software to process online orders, a website designer to create the website and maintain it, people to cook, people to take orders online/or via phone, cleaners are still required, delivery staff are needed and the list goes on and on...I am a firm believer in finding workable solutions than just pointing out problems...I am sure you will find other problems and you will post them without any workable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

easypazz wrote: »
    Was out and about yesterday evening, saw about 500 people. One person about 80 wearing a mask, which was understandable.

Looks like this farce is rapidly being forgotten by most people.

The leaving is cancelled, that’s all that mattered

I feel sorry for anybody who lost their jobs. I work in the HSE and I believe that the easing of restrictions is been done too slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

alwald wrote: »
    Astonishing to see the same level of gloom from someone with a degree or master as you stated before.
    I won't engage further but any business will require a software to process online orders, a website designer to create the website and maintain it, people to cook, people to take orders online/or via phone, cleaners are still required, delivery staff are needed and the list goes on and on...I am a firm believer in finding workable solutions than just pointing out problems...I am sure you will find other problems and you will post them without any workable solution.

Yes but if your working from home, you are more likely to go to the fridge and make your lunch. I have been working from home 3 days a week and have not gone or ordered lunch on any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

alwald wrote: »

5-9, Thursday to Saturday or even Sunday will not get them all back to work; plus, I wonder how profitable this model is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its the next logical step, to go from direct family to your circle of friends. As Leo said himself there is only a certain time limit you can put on restrictions and with the over the top restriction phases we have in place, it is not viable. Other European countries have seen this and have planned accordingly.

Yeah that's my point, CMO kept saying they were worried about people moving ahead of them, it's already happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

I feel sorry for anybody who lost their jobs. I work in the HSE and I believe that the easing of restrictions is been done too slowly.

Real Life has overtaken the plan at this stage

People did their bit and they're getting back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tensions truly are high in this thread. We all need to calm down. We are talking about idealistic things of "lifting restrictions" or "not lifting restrictions".

Was out and about around Phoenix park:

Reality is, every business/small shop I've just walked by is opened, some offering outside seating, completely disregarding govt's "plan".

See group of 20 + people completely disregarding social distancing rules.

2 people were wearing masks (out of about 300 I came across)

And then I had a very awkward encounter, as I was leaving Phoenix park there was a mother and her daughter trying to get in, I just stepped outside of the park and was somewhat in the way, froze up as they were approaching me fast and breaking social distancing.

As I stood there a bit paralysed thinking of doing a bit of social distancing, daughter walked by me with less than 1 metre between us, while her mother looked at me and said "just walk, its not difficult".

Damn was she right. Walked right past me. Social distancing seems to be a thing we read here + advertised on TV. it is not a thing out there in real world...

Just a matter of opening businesses now, hopefully ahead of schedule.

Is this reality? The only places I have seen open are convenience stores, off licences, chemist's and supermarkets. Everywhere else is shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I wonder will still feel the same way,when the second wave of the virus is worse than the first initial phase, and the death rate is higher ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Arghus wrote: »
    Is this reality? The only places I have seen open are convenience stores, off licences, chemist's and supermarkets. Everywhere else is shut.
    Anti-vaxers are desperate to get everything opened because they can only hope for herd immunity. I'd take everything with a pinch of salt.

This is what happened in Georgia as they tried to open everything without convincing potential customers it was safe:
    https://www.pymnts.com/coronavirus/2020/georgia-push-reopen-falls-flat-consumers-stay-home/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Professor Luke O Neill done a very good interview on Eamonn Dunphys podcast if anyone is interested.

Both himself and Niall Moynagh have emphasised the real need to get our testing turnaround time down as soon as possible for example.

It makes perfect sense, but at the moment the time it takes here for a test result to come back is a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    I wonder will still feel the same way,when the second wave of the virus is worse than the first initial phase, and the death rate is higher ?

Where is the evidence for this (genuine question)?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yeah that's my point, CMO kept saying they were worried about people moving ahead of them, it's already happened

He is also aware that 7 weeks of lockdown is the limit that people can tolerate . They knew that from day one and actually said it themselves

Now what we need is more freedom with heightened awareness of hand washing and distance and outdoor chats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    He is also aware that 7 weeks of lockdown is the limit that people can tolerate . They knew that from day one and actually said it themselves

Now what we need is more freedom with heightened awareness of hand washing and distance and outdoor chats

Dead right, anyone who seriously thinks we can continue this until there's a vaccine even if it's here in 12-18 months is fooling themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

What date is this due to start?

Roanmore wrote: »
    Where is the evidence for this (genuine question)?

when more and more people go out and start mixing and forgetting about the past couple of months then you can count on there being a spike in cases..... Germany are opening up and are finding an increase in cases.......

robbiezero wrote: »

When the lockdown starts to ease, only natural that cases will start to rise..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

robbiezero wrote: »

Same people predicting the second wave are the same ones who predicted tens of thousands dead in Ireland and millions dead worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Bambi wrote: »
    One thing the government should be insisting on is that office environments should be closed permanently unless the business can show its an absolute neccissity to have their staff on premises. Lack of infratructure should not be accepted as an excuse. Same with education delivery. Unless there's an absolute necissity for physical presence, all third level education be delivered remotely, second level to be delivered remotely in part time

Time to call bull**** on it all and fix it in one go. Housing, transport, childcare, rural depopulation, environment.

Micro managers the problem with the offices going back. Most staff are now set up to work at home and should continue to do so. There is plenty of jobsworths about with trust issues who feel their workers need to be visible.

Utter morons in this current climate. Sort yourselves out micro managers and learn how to get the best out of your staff without endangering their health. I'm sure there are a few knocking about this thread.

• Advertisement

Same people predicting the second wave are the same ones who predicted tens of thousands dead in Ireland and millions dead worldwide.

have you gone around and done a poll on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

when more and more people go out and start mixing and forgetting about the past couple of months then you can count on there being a spike in cases..... Germany are opening up and are finding an increase in cases.......

Can you link to Germanys second wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So Germany have brought lockdown measures back to towns after spike in cases.

Where's the lads who said Germany had the right ides and we are lagging behind other countries and economy something something?

Something about causing more deaths by not opening the country up?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Rodin wrote: »
    We no longer have an intra-EU border

I don't say we did. Thst was a reply to a comment from another poster...

Show me any evidence of a definitive second wave. Especially that it would be worse? You are just a scaremongering layperson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Micro managers the problem with the offices going back. Most staff are now set up to work at home and should continue to do so. There is plenty of jobsworths about with trust issues who feel their workers need to be visible.

Utter morons in this current climate. Sort yourselves out micro managers and learn how to get the best out of your staff without endangering their health. I'm sure there are a few knocking about this thread.

These people are utterly lost these days, and just highlights how little work they actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

"Its not the flu!" as people who compare are constantly told but this hypothetical second wave is based on a flu

Its almost like they want it to happen. We're all gonna die from this. Any day now, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Well of course there'll be an increase in cases once people start mixing again, there isn't much you can do other than welding people into their homes.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement