Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Advised that we cut ourselves off from Europe and keep our economy closed until then

We cant even cut off Phoenix Park

Europe :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Those low figures will hurt the new normal brigade

No they’re banking on a deadly “second wave”. It’s all the hypochondriacs are fixated on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

https://twitter.com/IrishDataViz/status/1259200152851619843

I know it's from a week ago, but it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Arghus wrote: »
    Well I work in a busy supermarket and my father is over 70. So I made the decision that even if the chances were low of transmitting the virus, it still, ultimately, wasn't worth it. The chances of something bad happening were in absolute terms quite low, but considering where I worked put me slightly more at risk than a regular person and also considering that my father was slightly more at risk than a regular person - I decided that it was best to err on the side of caution. It's perfectly logical and it too was a personal choice.

I think if I was in your position, I'd likely err on the side of caution too. Hopefully you won't have to wait the 2 months and they will bring that forward, with the way things are going, I think there is a good chance of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If admitted to ICU, there is roughly a 50% chance of dying from COVID-19 irregardless of sex, age etc. This is what is factoring into slow relaxing of restrictions. Do I think they are going through the process too slowly? Perhaps.

But their plan is more reasonable than any the "pro economic brigade" put forward....

It's easy to be a hurler on the ditch.

Just looked it up. 391 people have been in ICU with COVID19 in Ireland to date. I can't find the up-to-date number of people who died in ICU but when I saw it last week it was 65. Even if it was 85 today which I'm pretty sure it isn't thats a long way off 50%.

Found it, died in ICU: 75, under 20%. Not that thats good but wrong numbers need to be called out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Was listening to Prof Anthony Staines of DCU earlier on The Last Word. Gives an insight into what many in the academic community feel on the matter.

Claimed that flattening the curve was nonsense and we have to eridicate the virus completely until a vaccine is found. Advised that we cut ourselves off from Europe and keep our economy closed until then.

Not one mention of the catostrophic economic consequences.

I think this is what led to our conservative measures in the first place. Academics and Doctors advising the government without any regard for the consequences for people of the extended lockdown.

You cant eradicate a virus. It mutates, changes it complexity. This is very embaressing to hear, hes really not doing DCU any favours.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My take on the "homeware" situation. I think it suddenly dawned on them that there are only 2 IKEAs in the country, both in Dublin. I think they were paranoid that people would travel long distances on the basis "only IKEA sell what I want", and indeed it could become an easy "explanation" at Garda checkpoints. Equally they's had to cut back seriously on those checkpoints and I think their concern was that long distance travel would become the norm if loads of people were posting on social media about their trips to Dublin

Given the large number of cases in Dublin, there would then be concerns that people could take the virus back to places that had few cases to date

Pure speculation on my part, but it's a way I would have looked at the specifics of IKEA, and they could not pick them out as a single case - they had to keep all "homeware" stores closed for now at least

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Beasty wrote: »
    My take on the "homeware" situation. I think it suddenly dawned on them that there are only 2 IKEAs in the country, both in Dublin. I think they were paranoid that people would travel long distances on the basis "only IKEA sell what I want", and indeed it could become an easy "explanation" at Garda checkpoints. Equally they's had to cut back seriously on those checkpoints and I think their concern was that long distance travel would become the norm if loads of people were posting on social media about their trips to Dublin

Given the large number of cases in Dublin, there would then be concerns that people could take the virus back to places that had few cases to date

Pure speculation on my part, but it's a way I would have looked at the specifics of IKEA, and they could not pick them out as a single case - they had to keep all "homeware" stores closed for now at least

I think you're on the ball there tbh

Was listening to Prof Anthony Staines of DCU earlier on The Last Word. Gives an insight into what many in the academic community feel on the matter.

Claimed that flattening the curve was nonsense and we have to eridicate the virus completely until a vaccine is found. Advised that we cut ourselves off from Europe and keep our economy closed until then.

Not one mention of the catostrophic economic consequences.

I think this is what led to our conservative measures in the first place. Academics and Doctors advising the government without any regard for the consequences for people of the extended lockdown.

Jesus. He said that??!! He’s equally as bad as those nut jobs who tried to get the lockdown struck down in court. Just on the other end of the spectrum

https://twitter.com/IrishDataViz/status/1259200152851619843

I know it's from a week ago, but it stands.

Showing on the next page because it was at the end of the last.

Good info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Jesus. He said that??!! He’s equally as bad as those nut jobs who tried to get the lockdown struck down in court. Just on the other end of the spectrum

I had to go back and make sure I hadn't been mistaken. He's trying to get a new hashtag trending,

#crushthecurve

https://mobile.twitter.com/astaines/status/1262440453519147009

It's embarrassing.

Beasty wrote: »

Yep, I surmised as much when the 'oops, typo' announcement was made.

Ikea is as much a day-out for people as it is somewhere to pick up a new spatula.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Claire Byrne live is something that needs to be seen to be believed at the moment.

McConkey on and hairdresser with some home made contraption. McConkey being asked to give his opinion on hairdressers and their clients. The man must be getting splinters sitting on the fench at the moment.

I had to go back and make sure I hadn't been mistaken. He's trying to get a new hashtag trending,

#crushthecurve

https://mobile.twitter.com/astaines/status/1262440453519147009

It's embarrassing.

Baffling.

Besides, we've already pretty much crushed the curve.

Claire Byrne live is something that needs to be seen to be believed at the moment.

McConkey on and hairdresser with some home made contraption. McConkey being asked to give his opinion....

What kind of contraption lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Arghus wrote: »
    It was all over the place last week. I must have seen twenty plus posters link to it in this forum.

I read it. It's interesting, but it's one guy's work. It doesn't prove anything. You can't base public health decisions on the word of one obscure Israeli mathematican.

That was a different person to the Israeli mathematician the poster quoted there. Last week everyone was discussing Michael Levitt a professor of structural biology in Stanford and a Nobel prize winner. Although they are broadly saying something similar

Colibri wrote: »
    What kind of contraption lol?

Well shes got some sort of doll sat on a chair surrounded by perspex and can only reach their hair from the side. Says she wont go infront of someone again.

Every other country you go into the barbers or hairdresser and everyone is in masks and will be getting on with it, here they suggest you basically in an enclosed box, seems to be a hell of a lot more fear in this country than others in terms of reopening businesses and adjusting.

She had goggles on as well and they started fogging up, pulling around at the mask etc.

Well shes got some sort of doll sat on a chair surrounded by perspex and can only reach their hair from the side. Says she wont go infront of someone again.

Every other country you go into the barbers or hairdresser and everyone is in masks and will be getting on with it, here they want you basically in an enclosed box.

She had goggles on as well and they started fogging up, pulling around at the mask etc.

Ah ffs 😂

Masks on both people, sorted.

A bloody bulletproof casing isn't the answer lol

Ah ffs 😂

Masks on both people, sorted.

A bloody bulletproof casing isn't the answer lol

Yeah I honestly dont understand it, there seems to be such an above and beyond reaction here that everyone seems to need to be decked out in PPE when they go the barbers or hairdressers.

Theres pictures from Denmark, Germany and even Italy, hairdresser and client in masks, simple.

I don't know if it's an increased fear here or what it is but we seem to be so much more over the top than the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Just looked it up. 391 people have been in ICU with COVID19 in Ireland to date. I can't find the up-to-date number of people who died in ICU but when I saw it last week it was 65. Even if it was 85 today which I'm pretty sure it isn't thats a long way off 50%.

Found it, died in ICU: 75, under 20%. Not that thats good but wrong numbers need to be called out.

20% is likely around the normal mortality rate of people going into ICU too, as in this is no spike at all it's the same rate as non-pandemic times.

No one is saying covid isn't bad or isn't ugly but people really need to stop this scare mongering bs.

• Advertisement

Every other country you go into the barbers or hairdresser and everyone is in masks and will be getting on with it, here they suggest you basically in an enclosed box, seems to be a hell of a lot more fear in this country than others in terms of reopening businesses and adjusting.

It’s embarrassing how gutless people are here. They’re cowering in fear. Is it any wonder we are “neutral” - we never put our necks on the line or take a chance on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

road_high wrote: »
    No they’re banking on a deadly “second wave”. It’s all the hypochondriacs are fixated on now.
    like this, you mean?
    The thing is too, our cases are low as hell. There's guaranteed to be extra cases once we lift up even more, and then CMO et al will sing doomsday because cases have arisen. F-ck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭prunudo

And then you have Kingston Mills on the Tonight show saying lockdown should be eased quicker once they can test all contacts of confirmed cases. At least some commentators are making sensible points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That Claire Byrne show has gone off the cliff since this pandemic started. From the garden shed fiasco to the hairdressing demos. Is this show not supposed to be a serious current affairs programme?

The typical content is more Philip Schofield daytime TV than serious current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Jaysus just saw Simon Harris there on News. People need to show a bit of "cop on". Just because places are open doesn't mean people have to go there..... he says!
    I just think its an awful way to be speaking on the day deaths are just 4. Would you not give people a bit of praise and a bit of hope after all this time? We've been doing this for 10 weeks now - a bit of appreciation would go a long way.

He talks sense. Since you post in this thread I presume you read it enough to see enough people not having cop on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Baffling.

Besides, we've already pretty much crushed the curve.

The meme "okay boomer" very apt as a reply to that looper.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

JoeA3 wrote: »
    That Claire Byrne show has gone off the cliff since this pandemic started. From the garden shed fiasco to the hairdressing demos. Is this show not supposed to be a serious current affairs programme?

The typical content is more Philip Schofield daytime TV than serious current affairs.

RTE have been shocking, just turned it on there, someone with a formula 1 helmet on to cut your hair while a blue tooth thermometer up your arse as back up.

JoeA3 wrote: »

That show is utter twaddle. Byrne is seriously dumb, completely unable to delve into topics and offer objective insights. Presenting Crimecall was the height of her ability- something that is fact based involving simple interviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Fair play, you are doing a brilliant job. Keep up the great work.

I just hope the medical staff working in ICU are doing as good a job as you are.

• Advertisement

Fair play, you are doing a brilliant job. Keep up the great work.

I just hope the medical staff working in ICU are doing as good a job as you are.

Why so antagonistic? They literally cited a statistic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement