Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

SNNUS wrote: »
    RTE have been shocking, just turned it on there, someone with a formula 1 helmet on to cut your hair while a blue tooth thermometer up your arse as back up.

Yeah after the hairdresser piece it was your employer might ask you wear a temperature monitor, get real

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Yeah after the hairdresser piece it was your employer might ask you wear a temperature monitor, get real

Can we flatten RTE while we are at it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

road_high wrote: »
    That show is utter twaddle. Byrne is seriously dumb, completely unable to delve into topics and offer objective insights. Presenting Crimecall was the height of her ability- something that is fact based involving simple interviewing.

Yeah, it’s incredible how poor RTE have been through this in general. I always considered them the go-to source for excellent news coverage and current affairs but they’ve been appalling recently. From George miserable Lee fawning over every word the CMO says every evening to this twaddle on the Claire Byrne Show. Prime Time has been absolutely rubbish too, basically a mouthpiece for the government agenda. Not questioning anything.

Virgin Media are completely kicking their arses, particularly Ivan Yates.

The economy is going down the pan. We’ve no government 100+ days after the general election and we have Diarmuid Fcuking Gavin telling us how to plant our flowers. There are no words.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Relax, just a joke. No restrictions on them. Yet...

Oh yeah no I'm agreeing with you..the standard on rte and in particular Claire Byrne show has been awful

• Advertisement

It’s baffling how disproportionate the level of fear is in this country. I can only assume people are reading too many headlines and listening to Tony/Simon way too much.

There is a graph posted just a page back showing that barely anyone under 65 has even died.

On social media, some people are saying they won’t send their kids back to school in September as it’s too dangerous. Lots of curtain twitchers today criticising anyone that went out to a hardware store.

One guy saying the queues for ICU will be out the door next week.

I had RTÉ on myself the other day and I heard the words deadly virus every 5 mins. It’s only deadly if you’re over 75 and have an underlying health issue.

I just don’t see this level of fear in any other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Oh yeah no I'm agreeing with you..the standard on rte and in particular Claire Byrne show has been awful[/QUOTgh

Oh yeah sorry, it's awful garbage, it's a government spin channel really.. At least there is more balanced debate over on The Tonight show. I did not have the stomach to stick around for the pub bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

road_high wrote: »
    It’s embarrassing how gutless people are here. They’re cowering in fear. Is it any wonder we are “neutral” - we never put our necks on the line or take a chance on anything.

What are we putting our necks on the line for though? To go back to work and help make someone who couldn't care if we or someone we loved died? To have a pint and a haircut? I'll put my neck on the line for a decent cause...

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

Fear is more deadly than the virus, which is petering out across the world.

https://youtu.be/uk2YZfnsOPg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Beanybabog wrote: »
    That was a different person to the Israeli mathematician the poster quoted there. Last week everyone was discussing Michael Levitt a professor of structural biology in Stanford and a Nobel prize winner. Although they are broadly saying something similar

That Israeli fellows thoughts were around last week as well.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    What are we putting our necks on the line for though? To go back to work and help make someone who couldn't care if we or someone we loved died? To have a pint and a haircut? I'll put my neck on the line for a decent cause...

Lots of people have a negative view of the economy.

But the economy is what is responsible for our entire way of life. And we have a very good way of life.

Life expectancy is 82 in this country. Anyone who really wants work will find it. Most people can afford to go on decent holidays/travel. We have nice luxuries like smartphones, broadband, cable tv, Netflix, Spotify etc.

We want our kids to have opportunities here, in Ireland!

This is what we’re fighting to protect. I sure as hell don’t want this country to become economically depressed. I don’t want to wave my kids off at the airport as they leave to find work.

If that’s not worth fighting for, than I don’t know what is.

Oh yeah no I'm agreeing with you..the standard on rte and in particular Claire Byrne show has been awful

Oh yeah sorry, it's awful garbage, it's a government spin channel really.. At least there is more balanced debate over on The Tonight show. I did not have the stomach to stick around for the pub bit...

Yeah the pub bit was something else. And on that note the vice chair of the LVA

https://twitter.com/NoelAnderson_/status/1262517387871518720?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

CSO says vast majority of firms have continued to trade through pandemic.

00146261-614.jpg?ratio=1.77

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0518/1139071-business-impact-covid-survey/

23.9% indicated they had ceased trading temporarily or permanently.

Most positive figure is that nearly 70% reported no change in ability to access finance.

I'm of the opinion the recovery from this period looks likely to be much quicker than a lot of people think.

Assuming there is no need for reimposition of measures later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It’s only deadly if you’re over 75 and have an underlying health issue....

ah here,,,

ah here,,,

I meant 65.
    Apologies for the typo, it’s not only the government that make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Lots of people have a negative view of the economy....

I don't have a negative view of it though I would be very pro UBI and slainte care because I don't think people should be held to ransom by employers out of fear for financial or health security and it was something we saw with the meat factory whistle blowers that were afraid to lose their jobs. So maybe I'm a lil bit of a communist. But yes I'd like to see things get back to normal but your kids probably wouldn't want people to die for their financial benefit imo.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So maybe I'm a lil bit of a communist.

Yeah this isn't you at all ;)

tenor.gif

Get him!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

CSO says vast majority of firms have continued to trade through pandemic.

00146261-614.jpg?ratio=1.77

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0518/1139071-business-impact-covid-survey/

23.9% indicated they had ceased trading temporarily or permanently.

Most positive figure is that nearly 70% reported no change in ability to access finance.

I'm of the opinion the recovery from this period looks likely to be much quicker than a lot of people think.

Assuming there is no need for reimposition of measures later on.

And how Many of those 70% are continuing to trade because they were able to let people go or have the State subsidise wages. How many of the 30% will trade again. If it is 30% of the workforce, do you realise that is 600,000 + jobs. The hospitality industry is decimated. Tourism is decimated. Every business will be cutting back on expenditure and staffing if they wish to consider trading.

I disagree completely.

I think the economy will be flying along by the end of the year IF there is no requirement to reintroduce measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

And how Many of those 70% are continuing to trade because they were able to let people go or have the State subsidise wages. How many of the 30% will trade again. If it is 30% of the workforce, do you realise that is 600,000 + jobs. The hospitality industry is decimated. Tourism is decimated. Every business will be cutting back on expenditure and staffing if they wish to consider trading.

It's amazing just who accuses who of feeding fear and scaremongering in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

It's amazing just who accuses who of feeding fear and scaremongering in this thread.

Well what do you think is going to happen to the economy? I don't see how that's scaremongering. Simple fact of the matter is locking down the country for weeks on ends came with consequences. People either didn't care or said one life trumped the whole economy. Now people will have to put their money where their mouths are.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well what do you think is going to happen to the economy? I don't see how that's scaremongering. Simple fact of the matter is locking down the country for weeks on ends came with consequences. People either didn't care or said one life trumped the whole economy. Now people will have to put their money where their mouths are.

You want it both ways.

You want to criticise the correct global and Irish response and criticise those of us trying to get the risk to people through to them.

And you want to criticise and doom monger over the economy then afterward.

You'll end up wrong on both counts.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Except this is the view that is going against the Group Think. I am not spending millions of euros on ad campaigns frightening the **** out of people. I hope I am wrong but the more I hear from this Government including the supreme leader Tony I fear I will not be.

But I do sense that people are now starting to make up their own minds on what is safe. People are asking the right questions, and even people here are beginning to realise that we need to lift ourselves out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What will happen when the restaurants reopen and people try to use them as bars, ordering one course and a rake of drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It’s baffling how disproportionate the level of fear is in this country. I can only assume people are reading too many headlines and listening to Tony/Simon way too much.

There is a graph posted just a page back showing that barely anyone under 65 has even died.

On social media, some people are saying they won’t send their kids back to school in September as it’s too dangerous. Lots of curtain twitchers today criticising anyone that went out to a hardware store.

One guy saying the queues for ICU will be out the door next week.

I had RTÉ on myself the other day and I heard the words deadly virus every 5 mins. It’s only deadly if you’re over 75 and have an underlying health issue.

I just don’t see this level of fear in any other countries.

There is scare mongering absolutely and the risk remains small to those under 70 (and almost non existent to under 45) but youre taking it to extreme levels. Almost 2000 people in Brazil under 59 have died so far(out of the hugely underestimated death toll), and in New York almost 4400 people under 59 years of age have died

New York stats
    https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2020/04/coronavirus-state-issues-list-of-3565-deaths-by-age.html
    Brazil stats
    https://www.poder360.com.br/coronavirus/covid-19-death-toll-by-age-groups-in-brazil-italy-spain-the-us/

You want it both ways.

You want to criticise the correct global and Irish response and criticise those of us trying to get the risk to people through to them.

And you want to criticise and doom monger over the economy then afterward.

You'll end up wrong on both counts.:cool:

I agree with the lock down 100% what I don't agree with is the drawn out saga for reopening, it'll do more damage compared to emulating the likes of Austria and Denmark. What makes Ireland so exceptional to every other country in Europe we need to drag our feet? Maybe try reading what people say rather than play pretend intellectual trying to half arsedly catch people out.

I agree with the lock down 100% what I don't agree with is the drawn out saga for reopening, it'll do more damage compared to emulating the likes of Austria and Denmark. What makes Ireland so exceptional to every other country in Europe we need to drag our feet? Maybe try reading what people say rather than play pretend intellectual trying to half arsedly catch people out.

The govt has said moving forward will be based on raw data.

They have also left flexibility in the timetable either way.

What we all should be doing is urging people to stick to the rules so we get out quicker.

Some on here (not saying you) have been telling people to ignore the rules!

The govt has said moving forward will be based on raw data.

They have also left flexibility in the timetable either way.

What we all should be doing is urging people to stick to the rules so we get out quicker.

Some on here (not saying you) have been telling people to ignore the rules!

But with additional cases in double digits and deaths down to single digits I don't see how lower they want the numbers to go. As the Ikea fiasco has shown they're more likely to move the goalposts to suit their whim on a particular day than in any favour of the public.

• Advertisement

But with additional cases in double digits and deaths down to single digits

Has to stay like that for a protracted period of time.

A second lock down would be disasterous. We need to put the foot on this now and keep the social distancing measures in place after the economy is fully open.

Otherwise in Autumn we head to disaster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement