Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

I agree with all except the last part. Recessions tends to disproportionately affect males for whatever reason. The last recession saw male suicide rates jump up.

I know that and that is a very well made point. But (and it is only an opinion) the closing of Crèches and Schools may this time out lead to a different effect or perhaps be the first equal opportunities recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Fair play, you are doing a brilliant job. Keep up the great work.

I just hope the medical staff working in ICU are doing as good a job as you are.

Are you seriously scolding me for calling someone out on wrong and exaggerated numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Too busy reading Gemma O'Doherty and the EndTheLockdown on FB

You're like a broken record on about bloody Gemma, use some creativity

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the longer this lockdown goes on the worse it gets we are now losing people with non covid health issues and childcare issues. despite full home working .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dr Ronan Glynn on morning Ireland saying routine breast check screen etc suspended still and can't give a date as to when it restarts, says that the aim of the screening is to pick up asymptomatic cases and that anyone concerned should visit their GP as its not safe to resume screening.

I'm sorry but that's a disgrace, early diagnosis in cancer and other diseases is crucial to treatment. It's awful to say but I fear a spike in the coming year from diseases that could have been prevented with early treatment such as some cancers.

Yesterday I heard two advertisements on Radio

1. The weather is good, the sun is shining, we’re all out walking , “ please put on sunscreen we’re all in this together “

2. We’re all at home, we’re all eating more “please just eat 3 meals a day we’re all in this together”

“Please stay the course”
    ............brought to you by the Government of Ireland .

This country is beginning to sound more like a dictatorship every day, there is an element of control about these. I know the are public health announcements but it’s nobody’s business how much anyone eats . We’re not babies, if the weather is warm we know to put on sunscreen. We don’t need our government to give a list of instructions every day !

On another note a woman was interviewed at a garden centre on the News yesterday, saying it’s nice to get out but “we’re doing what we’re told”! Another man coming out of Woodies saying this queueing will be part of life for YEARS ! A lot of people seem to need hand holding and instructions on everything. Fear, fear, fear !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Yesterday I heard two advertisements on Radio

1. The weather is good, the sun is shining, we’re all out walking , “ please put on sunscreen we’re all in this together “

2. We’re all at home, we’re all eating more “please just eat 3 meals a day we’re all in this together”

“Please stay the course”
    ............brought to you by the Government of Ireland .

This country is beginning to sound more like a dictatorship every day, there is an element of control about these. I know the are public health announcements but it’s nobody’s business how much anyone eats . We’re not babies, if the weather is warm we know to put on sunscreen. We don’t need our government to give a list of instructions every day !

On another note a woman was interviewed at a garden centre on the News yesterday, saying it’s nice to get out but “we’re doing what we’re told”! Another man coming out of Woodies saying this queueing will be part of life for YEARS ! A lot of people seem to need hand holding and instructions on everything. Fear, fear, fear !

How dare the government give medical advice. Outrageous.

VonLuck wrote: »

I’d rely on my doctor to give me medical advice . Not the Government.

(Since when did we need to be told that eating more puts on weight? )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed. Never mind the Irish government is so far from a "dictatorship" as you can get. We see this during this covid crisis. Their general way of responding has been either delayed, non existent, or half hearted.

As for the medical advice. Clearly someone needs to tell us to ease up on stuffing our faces as Irish men and women are among the fattest in Europe and we have over 10,000 people per annum come down with skin cancers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I’d rely on my doctor to give me medical advice . Not the Government.

(Since when did we need to be told that eating more puts on weight? )

Since a large portion of the population became obese and lost self control.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Dr Ronan Glynn on morning Ireland saying routine breast check screen etc suspended still and can't give a date as to when it restarts, says that the aim of the screening is to pick up asymptomatic cases and that anyone concerned should visit their GP as its not safe to resume screening.

I'm sorry but that's a disgrace, early diagnosis in cancer and other diseases is crucial to treatment. It's awful to say but I fear a spike in the coming year from diseases that could have been prevented with early treatment such as some cancers.

Absolutely agree, complete disgrace. Why is this not picked up by the media?

manniot2 wrote: »

Just for anyone who hasn't heard it this is the interview piece where screening services are mentioned

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1262650823500345344?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wouldn't call it outrageous but it is as a friend of mine put it, it's real "fighting the last war" stuff. They don't know what they're doing in this Covid battle so they're doubling down on what they do know, hence all the anti-alcohol/obesity/skin cancer messages etc.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Since a large portion of the population became obese and lost self control.

I know, I can see that , but surely the obese were there for the last 10 years if not more ?
    And are yet more public service announcements going to stop that cohort from having another doughnut ? Don’t this so.

By the way I’m not obese, 5’9” and 10.5 stone I’ve actually lost weight as I’m exercising far more........but I’m really really weary of all this Government “advice” and bullet pointed announcements every day . They’re on every station too so it’s hard to avoid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭prunudo

And yet they didn't learn anything with regards how to increase testing and how to deal with vulnerable groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

It is an easy place for Tony and co to be in as they will never be accountable for their actions.

They will say that they saved lives with their actions (any mistakes such as in nursing homes will be at the door of the HSE).

They will make the point in hindsight that they are asked to advise and Government makes the decisions (perhaps on paper).

They will distance themselves from the economic arguments (we saved lives).

They will point to utterances that the hospitals were open for other procedures (the reality is different).

I fear you’re right.

Re Dail Committee, spin has begun already. Jim Breslin, Sec Gen of Department of health telling media that the ‘acute’ phase of pandemic will last years. Up there with any other scare-mongering and depressing headline so far. ‘Acutr’

He and Reid and Holohan will bring their questionable data that their modelling software spat out to ‘prove’ that only for their advice 39,000 would have died of Covid by now.

They do seem untouchable now - any mistakes will be blamed on HSE (care homes) and government (borders).

But good at least they are being called to account even if it may be a pointless exercise. Will watch with interest, hope they will be pressed to explain themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He and Reid and Holohan will bring their questionable data that their modelling software spat out to ‘prove’ that only for their advice 39,000 would have died of Covid by now.

Hasn't even been that many in Spain, Italy, France, UK, countries with approx 10 times the population of Ireland and late lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

it is a total disgrace, heard about someone who was diagnosed with cance rtwo months ago and hasnt had any contact since forem the HSE, but then the hse seem good at ignoring cancer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Wibbs wrote: »
    Indeed. Never mind the Irish government is so far from a "dictatorship" as you can get. We see this during this covid crisis. Their general way of responding has been either delayed, non existent, or half hearted.

As for the medical advice. Clearly someone needs to tell us to ease up on stuffing our faces as Irish men and women are among the fattest in Europe and we have over 10,000 people per annum come down with skin cancers.

That would require a sense of self responsibility, Wibbs. Something Irish people ain't the best at.

All for screaming about "My Rights!!" or "I'm entitled to", not so much in taking some responsibility.

And then turn around and blame "The Government." when things go tits up as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

snowcat wrote: »
    Hopefully we have learned from this mess and another lockdown is never imposed.

The 2 parts of your statement are mutually exclusive.

Based on this thread the last few days the only thing that surprises me is that Gemma O'Doherty didn't manifest more votes than she did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

That would require a sense of self responsibility, Wibbs. Something Irish people ain't the best at.

All for screaming about "My Rights!!", not so much in taking some responsibility.

And then turn around and blame "The Government." when things go tits up as a result.

And you've spoken to every Irish person to come to that conclusion? Amazing stuff. Or maybe you're just making sweeping statements with nothing to back them up other than your own sense of superiority.

manniot2 wrote: »

Are you for real, it was the media that feckin asked and aired the question and answer on national radio.

This thread is hanging on the precipice and about to fall in to the conspiracy theories forum.

Paywall but nonetheless an interesting first paragraph into their thinking going into this

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/senior-officials-fear-bullying-from-d%C3%A1il-covid-19-committee-1.4256698?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

I know, I can see that , but surely the obese were there for the last 10 years if not more ?
    And are yet more public service announcements going to stop that cohort from having another doughnut ? Don’t this so.

By the way I’m not obese, 5’9” and 10.5 stone I’ve actually lost weight as I’m exercising far more........but I’m really really weary of all this Government “advice” and bullet pointed announcements every day . They’re on every station too so it’s hard to avoid. :(

It's okay sure aren't you leaving the country as you are sick of it all.

Not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

almostover wrote: »
    First day of easing restrictions not going well. Was in the local park earlier, jammed full of large gangs of teenagers blind drunk. Girlfriend reported it to the Gardai, they've had multiple complaints and had been there earlier to break other groups up. Elderly people out in the park with masks on and terrified. Another local village has had fires lit in a graveyard by drunk teens.

Time to open up the schools or else put them all on work experience in an ICU. Would soften their cough fairly lively.

BTW I'm 29, so not a old fart giving out. Still young enough to remember when I was 15.

oh lord
    I hope you patted her on the back too and sent in her application for citizen/comrade of the year.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Paywall but nonetheless an interesting first paragraph into their thinking going into this

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/senior-officials-fear-bullying-from-d%C3%A1il-covid-19-committee-1.4256698?mode=amp

What are you reading into it?

It appears to be nothing more than ensuring that the new Oireachtas code of conduct is implemented following the fall out from when Kerins appeared before one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

it is a total disgrace, heard about someone who was diagnosed with cance rtwo months ago and hasnt had any contact since forem the HSE, but then the hse seem good at ignoring cancer

exactly. well said.

this is the harsh truth.
    we have a very poor health system with disgraceful waiting times.

we were told the country had no money to improve it.
    we are now on course to borrow anywhere from 21 to 30 billion to aid in fighting the virus and its economic fallout.

cancer kills thousands every year in Ireland and will continue to do so long after this virus is gone, biggest killer by a distance.
    If i could ask tony holohan one question - why is this not an emergency that requires billions of investment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Hurrache wrote: »
    The 2 parts of your statement are mutually exclusive.

Based on this thread the last few days the only thing that surprises me is that Gemma O'Doherty didn't manifest more votes than she did.

And yet you keep reading and posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement