Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Heavily policed social distancing and masking up will need to be made compulsory to put peoples minds at ease until they get their vaccines. Claire Byrnes socially distanced pub is the way forward. Compulsory masks needs to become a thing, if people thought of them as condoms for their potentially infected faces it would soon become taboo not to wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Yesterday I heard two advertisements on Radio

1. The weather is good, the sun is shining, we’re all out walking , “ please put on sunscreen we’re all in this together “

2. We’re all at home, we’re all eating more “please just eat 3 meals a day we’re all in this together”

“Please stay the course”
    ............brought to you by the Government of Ireland .

This country is beginning to sound more like a dictatorship every day, there is an element of control about these. I know the are public health announcements but it’s nobody’s business how much anyone eats . We’re not babies, if the weather is warm we know to put on sunscreen. We don’t need our government to give a list of instructions every day !

On another note a woman was interviewed at a garden centre on the News yesterday, saying it’s nice to get out but “we’re doing what we’re told”! Another man coming out of Woodies saying this queueing will be part of life for YEARS ! A lot of people seem to need hand holding and instructions on everything. Fear, fear, fear !

He's right though. While there was good news out of the US yesterday regarding a vaccine it still has a long way to go. It looks like the Oxford vaccine that got all the funding can stop symptoms but won't stop people catching the virus. This will go on until a vaccine or a cure is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

exactly. well said.

this is the harsh truth.
    we have a very poor health system with disgraceful waiting times.

we were told the country had no money to improve it.
    we are now on course to borrow anywhere from 21 to 30 billion to aid in fighting the virus and its economic fallout.

cancer kills thousands every year in Ireland and will continue to do so long after this virus is gone, biggest killer by a distance.
    If i could ask tony holohan one question - why is this not an emergency that requires billions of investment?

agreed. plenty of other operations and treatments cancelled too.
    of course they aren't life threatening now but many will be if not acted on. And of course there are huge quality of life issues.

I know 2 people in this situation waiting for reschedules but no word.
    Also goes to show that even your private healthcare matters not a fcuk in the HSE.

Shocking behaviour given the actual number of serious cases of covid we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

robbiezero wrote: »
    And yet you keep reading and posting.

Who doesn't like fiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Hurrache wrote: »
    Who doesn't like fiction?

Plenty of fiction alright, from all sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

pjohnson wrote: »
    To use yesterdays of repeated line when UK links were provided.

What about Irish sources?
    manniot2 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree, complete disgrace. Why is this not picked up by the media?

Our media has been led by the nose since the beginning of this. Reporting and regurgitating soundbites from HSE, NPHET and government. Those that are interviewed are selected to fit the narrative. It's easy to cherry-pick which experts to showcase and which to sideline.

The lack of critical thinking from journalists is baffling.

The tide will begin to turn as it won't be considered career suicide to question lockdown duration and the experts advocating it, and to highlight the many that are suffering serious economic, mental health and non-covid life-threatening illness issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Our media has been led by the nose since the beginning of this. Reporting and regurgitating soundbites from HSE, NPHET and government. Those that are interviewed are selected to fit the narrative. It's easy to cherry-pick which experts to showcase and which to sideline.

The tide will begin to turn as it won't be considered career suicide to question lockdown duration and the experts advocating it, and to highlight the many that are suffering serious economic, mental health and non-covid life-threatening illness issues.
    I agree on the journalists but who exactly has been sidelined?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

wakka12 wrote: »
    So over 76% dying of rather than with COVID... at least can be put to bed then that most victims would have died anyway.

All victims would have died anyway. I don’t need a graph to prove that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

snotboogie wrote: »
    He's right though. While there was good news out of the US yesterday regarding a vaccine it still has a long way to go. It looks like the Oxford vaccine that got all the funding can stop symptoms but won't stop people catching the virus. This will go on until a vaccine or a cure is found.

Oxford vaccine is still progressing to the next phases, its still a huge potential vaccine as it may limit the effects and prevent a severe illness bringing it back to potentially the affects of a head cold

https://twitter.com/MackayIM/status/1261893528508002304?s=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

paw patrol wrote: »
    agreed. plenty of other operations and treatments cancelled too.
    of course they aren't life threatening now but many will be if not acted on. And of course there are huge quality of life issues.

I know 2 people in this situation waiting for reschedules but no word.
    Also goes to show that even your private healthcare matters not a fcuk in the HSE.

Shocking behaviour given the actual number of serious cases of covid we've had.

as soon as this virus starts to decline - we as a nation should refuse to go back to the normal.
    we should demand that our health system is fixed.

we should keep private but demand public system is vastly improved.
    there are no excuses now, a child have to wait on the public list for 1 to 2 years to have tonsils removed - outrageous stuff.

• Advertisement

No cancer screening for the foreseeable future. If you think you have symptoms, go to your GP...
    Economy is tanking. Estimates that they we'll need to borrow 30 billion.
    "The economy will bounce right back though"... Will it? Huge numbers of people will be too afraid to fly. Retail shops, pubs, restaurants etc won't be able to run at full capacity due to social distancing. Some businesses have already closed down permanently.
    Hospitals lying empty. Wait times are going to be scandalous when they actually start operating again.

But this is fine... stay the course... stay locked down until August at least.

Anybody that actually wants us to try to balance things in society sensibly is accused of killing granny and granddad.

The reaction to Covid is completely disproportionate. You should never put all your eggs in one basket and thats exactly what we've done. Stop the mild virus at ALL costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

I stopped being baffled by this a long time ago. Lack of critical thinking from (most) journalists has been a feature of Irish journalism for some time. I suppose it's only when people stop agreeing with them that they actually notice this.

Joournalists nowadays are no more than hi-tech town cryers, slavishly regurgitating press releases with nary a hint of analysis or critical evaluation of the content. What I'm not sure about is if this is because they lack the intellectual firepower, or sufficent curiosity, or they're just afraid of being kept "out of the loop" if they break the rules of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

Anybody that actually wants us to try to balance things in society sensibly is accused of killing granny and granddad.

I wonder why... :rolleyes:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113357466&postcount=8414

You know three of those five links are not Covid related at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I know, I can see that , but surely the obese were there for the last 10 years if not more ?
    And are yet more public service announcements going to stop that cohort from having another doughnut ? Don’t this so.

By the way I’m not obese, 5’9” and 10.5 stone I’ve actually lost weight as I’m exercising far more........but I’m really really weary of all this Government “advice” and bullet pointed announcements every day . They’re on every station too so it’s hard to avoid. :(

Advertising is all about persuasion. If the tone of the ad is one of instruction, as it seems to be, it will fail. I also detest that patronising phrase "We're all in this together".

I would, however, be in favour of a well written advertising campaign promoting healthy eating, sun protection or any other health message. We are, by and large, not a healthy nation.

You know three of those five links are not Covid related at all?

First was, the rest were related to recent criticism of cancer services in Ireland. But I then knew that it still wouldn't be sufficient for theorists and couldn't be arsed as it takes the joy from the bemusement out of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Heavily policed social distancing and masking up will need to be made compulsory to put peoples minds at ease until they get their vaccines. Claire Byrnes socially distanced pub is the way forward. Compulsory masks needs to become a thing, if people thought of them as condoms for their potentially infected faces it would soon become taboo not to wear one.

Nonsense, the best mask is keeping distance from people, you think it should be mandatory to wear on the street ?

Public transport fair enough, but outdoors ? ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

No cancer screening for the foreseeable future. If you think you have symptoms, go to your GP...
    Economy is tanking. Estimates that they we'll need to borrow 30 billion.
    "The economy will bounce right back though"... Will it? Huge numbers of people will be too afraid to fly. Retail shops, pubs, restaurants etc won't be able to run at full capacity due to social distancing. Some businesses have already closed down permanently.
    Hospitals lying empty. Wait times are going to be scandalous when they actually start operating again.

But this is fine... stay the course... stay locked down until August at least.

The reaction to Covid is completely disproportionate. You should never put all your eggs in one basket and thats exactly what we've done. Stop the mild virus at ALL costs.

No journalist, to my knowledge, has drilled down into this. Why is it happening? Is it a HSE decision, a staff decision, a lack of testing facilities, what is the reason? Someone told me that is to do with social distancing, but that doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

pjohnson wrote: »
    To use yesterdays of repeated line when UK links were provided.

What about Irish sources?

'Dramatic increase' in admissions to Dublin mental health hospital in last month

Hurrache wrote: »
    First was, the rest were related to recent criticism of cancer services in Ireland. But I then knew that it still wouldn't be sufficient for theorists and couldn't be arsed as it takes the joy from the bemusement out of this thread.

Oh give it a rest FFS. Common tactic on boards, don't like a thread yet give hours posting about how the thread is nonsense.

Nobody knows where we will be in a years time in terms of health or economy, a lot of people on this thread might actually be proven right.

• Advertisement

Nonsense, the best mask is keeping distance from people, you think it should be mandatory to wear on the street ?

Public transport fair enough, but outdoors ? ridiculous.

Parody account, but it really is illuminating how hard it can be to realize it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Oxford vaccine is still progressing to the next phases, its still a huge potential vaccine as it may limit the effects and prevent a severe illness bringing it back to potentially the affects of a head cold

https://twitter.com/MackayIM/status/1261893528508002304?s=19

So you can be protected but still spread the virus. Assuming it's safe and there's enough for everyone who wants it, sounds like a good thing as the anti-vaxxers who normally scrounge off the herd immunity everyone else provides will be vulnerable :)

Yeah I know there'll also be the immunocompromised who can't take the vaccine who will be vulnerable unfortunately. Unfortunately it'll probably also mean that the vaccine won't be considered good enough to end lockdown/social distancing measures if people are still spreaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Harris on Newstalk now with Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0519/1139223-dail-covid-19-committee/

This kind of statement is absolute fear mongering of the highest order. Where is his evidence? All of the models were completely wrong to date.
    Between this and Claire Byrne last night with her ‘new normal’ set up - RTÉ is just swamping the general public with propagandist rubbish with no facts. I hope people are waking up.
    The figures don’t lie, the vast majority of people in Ireland are not sick with Covid 19. Why are they clutching at straws trying to keep us under severe restrictions?

is_that_so wrote: »
    I agree on the journalists but who exactly has been sidelined?

The fact that there's a vacuum in hearing from experts with differing opinions to NPHET is telling in itself.

I don't necessarily agree with Marcus de Brun's theories but he is an expert in the medical field. He resigned from NPHET in April over their decision on care homes. It was poorly thought out when he asked RTE to make a donation of €10,000 to ALONE in exchange for an interview.

He apologised, since then RTE has written or reported nothing about him, or his opinons. If you're main source of news is RTE, you won't have heard much detail about his resignation.

He was effectively a 'whistle-blower' over the decisions made by NPHET over care homes, yet doesn't warrant even one article in RTE (with or without comment by him).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wish there was something hard hitting journalists at the daily briefings instead of these soft minded ones that just steer the course in terms of questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I wish there was something hard hitting journalists at the daily briefings instead of these soft minded ones that just steer the course in terms of questioning.

You'd really miss George Hook and Vincent Browne these days. They'd tear this non sense to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

polesheep wrote: »
    No journalist, to my knowledge, has drilled down into this. Why is it happening? Is it a HSE decision, a staff decision, a lack of testing facilities, what is the reason? Someone told me that is to do with social distancing, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Doctors seem more interested in protecting themselves and their staff rather then treating patients.
    I wonder are private clinics running

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Paddygreen wrote: »

FEAR

Masks, social distancing etc will help people feel at ease when out and about but not a long term solution.

The mass hysteria and fear that’s been created will take a long time to subside

It’s a pity we weren’t trusted as a nation to carry out government requests in the beginning and they resorted to the fear factor to implement their plan.

Well in my opinion what they’ve created with the fearmorging is sad to see.

People treating others they know well like leper’s, people crossing the road to pass one another everyone’s on edge

The older people in society are petrified.

How this is fixed and the long term effects are worrying.

We need to wrap up daily briefings initially we don’t need to be listening to Dr Tony’s justification for another 12 week delay in getting back to a reasonable normal existence

Report only ACTIVE cases , stop the negative media reporting of this and impending economic doom

The longer the above goes on the harder it’s going to be to lift this fear.

• Advertisement

The figures don’t lie, the vast majority of people in Ireland are not sick with Covid 19.

Have you, and everyone who thanked the post, no cop on?

You'll be all anti vaxxers next arguing against it because nobody is dying of the diseases the vaccines are for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement