Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Hurrache wrote: »
    Have you, and everyone who thanked the post, no cop on?

You'll be all anti vaxxers next arguing against it because nobody is dying of the diseases the vaccines are for.

I've been reading this thread now for a while and your posts often get personal. If you had a discussion with someone in real life and they said something you disagree with, would you start making fun of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Harris speaking like he is an eminent medical doctor- "I don't believe in herd immunity..." here is someone that couldn't/didn't pass an Arts Degree arguing with a pre eminent Swedish doctors approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I've been reading this thread now for a while and your posts often get personal. If you had a discussion with someone in real life and they said something you disagree with, would you start making fun of them?

Because some posts that some people make do not deserve to be taken seriously, especially when it's a serious topic (not that many actually think it's serious).

If I was having such a conversation with someone I know well in real life, I'd certainly be taking the piss out of them, like all friends do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

I wish there was something hard hitting journalists at the daily briefings instead of these soft minded ones that just steer the course in terms of questioning.

I'm delighted to see this sudden realisation of the shortcomings of Irish journalism. Hopefully this dissatisfaction will continue post-COVID and that it's not just the government's current policies that are driving it...

Whatever happened to Vincent Browne anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Because some posts that some people make do not deserve to be taken seriously, especially when it's a serious topic (not that many actually think it's serious).

If I was having such a conversation with someone I'm know well in real life, I'd certainly be taking the piss out of them, like all friends do.

So you regularly strawman people as Gemma odoherty supporters and anti vax to dismiss people when there's absolutely no substance to what your accusations?

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Vincent Browne anyway?

He retired earlier this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

road_high wrote: »
    Harris speaking like he is an eminent medical doctor- "I don't believe in herd immunity..." here is someone that couldn't/didn't pass an Arts Degree arguing with a pre eminent Swedish doctors approach!

And all that after the nonsense about previous 18 coronaviruses. This guy is beyond pathetic. Can’t stand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

robbiezero wrote: »
    Parody account, but it really is illuminating how hard it can be to realize it at times.

Nope, I'm just not falling for PROJECT FEAR...

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    So you regularly strawman people as Gemma odoherty supporters and anti vax to dismiss people when there's absolutely no substance to what your accusations?

What accusation did I make? If you look back, the posts I come down strongly on are the ones along the lines of sure look we never got huge numbers of deaths and infections that we were told we could get, so the lock down was pointless and it was just fear mongering to control the populace.

It's a a staggeringly dumb point that anyone can make on this, and it deserves no credence or acceptance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

He retired earlier this year

He is retired longer than that. Must be 2 - 3 years ago now. You would miss his no bull**** approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is that you Simon? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

road_high wrote: »

Well what does he believe in? Leaving thousands of people in dire straits with no end in sight, unable to access cancer screenings? Leaving people who have been recently diagnosed with cancer in the dark with no start date for their treatment even though some hospitals are lying empty and staff taking annual leave? Because as Health minister that is the mess that he is standing over right now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'll be all anti vaxxers next arguing against it because nobody is dying of the diseases the vaccines are for.

I thanked it but not for the bit you selectively quoted.

39,000 dead by this time in Ireland does not sound like a realistic figure to me given that countries 10 times our size whose outbreaks started earlier than us and who made their share of **** ups have yet to reach that figure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FEAR

Masks, social distancing etc will help people feel at ease when out and about but not a long term solution.
    Seems to be how the East Asian nations are handling it as a long term solution and getting their lives back in order, never mind having far fewer deaths on top throughout. Closer to home the Czechs after a shaky start looked around at the rest of Europe who were for the most part wandering about like headless chickens and thought "hmmm, maybe go the way of those places that have dealt with this sort of thing before and got a handle on it and are getting a handle on it this time" and copied them and they're getting back on track with little of the fear and mental illness stuff we seem to be prone to here. Or maybe that's another bit of "FEAR" mongering too?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Desperation is funny, trying to pretend people who want the country reopened are somehow linked to anti vaxxers. Of course I support vaccines and have taken many over the years for travelling, etc.
    Show me some facts as to why we should continue to be under these restrictions.
    You haven’t contributed anything to the debate.

Akabusi wrote: »
    He is retired longer than that. Must be 2 - 3 years ago now. You would miss his no bull**** approach.

Jaysus I thought it was a lot more recent. I'm getting old.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stark wrote: »

39,000 dead by this time in Ireland does not sound like a realistic figure to me given that countries 10 times our size whose outbreaks started earlier than us and who made their share of **** ups have yet to reach that figure.
    +1 the so called projections were a nonsense from the get go. As they almost always are. The modern corporate and governmental version of reading tea leaves. If anyone gives you a projection like "we project between 2000 and 40,000 deaths" you can safely dismiss it as codswallop, no matter how well argued and polished it seems to be.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What accusation did I make? If you look back, the posts I come down strongly on are the ones along the lines of sure look we never got huge numbers of deaths and infections that we were told we could get, so the lock down was pointless and it was just fear mongering to control the populace.

It's a a staggeringly dumb point that anyone can make on this, and it deserves no credence or acceptance.

You know full well what you said. You've accused people of being pro Gemma and anti vax. You haven't contributed a tap only fling muck and act the smart arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Heavily policed social distancing and masking up will need to be made compulsory to put peoples minds at ease until they get their vaccines. Claire Byrnes socially distanced pub is the way forward. Compulsory masks needs to become a thing, if people thought of them as condoms for their potentially infected faces it would soon become taboo not to wear one.
    We are far more likely to get treatments that will move people from the need for hospitalisation to just self-isolating for mild symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I agree with Stephen Donnelly’s comments on public hospitals, it’s time to hand them back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Gael23 wrote: »
    I agree with Stephen Donnelly’s comments on public hospitals, it’s time to hand them back

Who do we hand them back to?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 the so called projections were a nonsense from the get go. As they almost always are. The modern corporate and governmental version of reading tea leaves. If anyone gives you a projection like "we project between 2000 and 40,000 deaths" you can safely dismiss it as codswallop, no matter how well argued and polished it seems to be.

Agree, it's very easy for Breslin or anyone else going into this committee today to say well look we could have had 39,000 deaths, likewise when the over 1 million infected figure was spread across the front page of the Sunday Business Post, anyone could say well this could happen if you manipulate data to show it could happen.

But said figures will be used as justification of everything that's been done to date and will be done going forward even though as you say they're pure nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Who do we hand them back to?
    He never really says, he just makes statements. Is it perverse of me to hope that Stephen Donnelly will be the next minister of Angola?

is_that_so wrote: »
    We are far more likely to get treatments that will move people from the need for hospitalisation to just self-isolating for mild symptoms.

That would be amazing and probably would come sooner than a vaccine!

Stark wrote: »

Fair enough, I made you guilty by association.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

as soon as this virus starts to decline - we as a nation should refuse to go back to the normal.
    we should demand that our health system is fixed.

we should keep private but demand public system is vastly improved.
    there are no excuses now, a child have to wait on the public list for 1 to 2 years to have tonsils removed - outrageous stuff.

Never going to happen.

It'd require politicians to face down the intransigent unions that control the HSE.

Including those representing the frontline workers that are twiddling their thumbs, I mean risking their lives throughout this crisis.

The problem is the electorate might talk the talk about reforming the system but at the first sign of a nurse on a picket line, will punish the politicians, so we're stuck with a crap system for the foreseeable.

Desperation is funny, trying to pretend people who want the country reopened are somehow linked to anti vaxxers.

You either chose to ignore, or didn't understand, the link. I plainly said the argument they're using at the moment can easily be shifted into the same argument anti vaxxxers use. Now if anyone has issue with this, they may realise they're on the same wavelength.

You also fail to notice I never said anything about future plans, I made it obvious, repeatedly, what I'm pulling people up on.

You know full well what you said. You've accused people of being pro Gemma and anti vax. You haven't contributed a tap only fling muck and act the smart arse.

I'm not surprised you also fail to understand simple points. It's the rabbit hole you guys dug for yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

"The usual argument in favor of lockdowns runs like this: We know lockdowns work because lockdowns work, which is why we locked down, because if we didn’t lock down it would have been worse." - W.M. Briggs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement