Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

VonLuck wrote: »
    Yeah sure why implement any measures. Just let everyone do their own thing. Epidemiologists don't know what they're talking about.

I’m sure most do. You however are a different story.

ZX7R wrote: »
    There has been no recorded outbreaks in any European countries from construction since there return in there countries

What about construction workers outside Spars eating chicken fillet rolls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

road_high wrote: »
    Or perhaps you could mind your own business and let other people who want to work get on with it and the measures they need to practice? I often see various groups outside shops and supermarkets. People like you are borderline paranoid tbh

Also construction work is about the most risky job you can get not a job for crybabies.

It is people like this paying for those €350 handouts.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭VonLuck

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Today in Northern Ireland you can travel how far want. In Donegal its 5km up to 8th June then. 20km up to 20th July

9 weeks before you could even travel within Donegal

The only arguments I've ever seen with regards to lifting restrictions is "look what the other countries are doing". Why do people present this as some sort of fact that shows it's the right thing to do?

I'm not saying that the current restrictions are the right thing to do either, that's because it's anyone's guess how this will play out, either way.

I’m sure most do. You however are a different story.

What have I stated that is factually incorrect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

What about construction workers outside Spars eating chicken fillet rolls?

Still hasn't been a outbreak yet

What have I stated that is factually incorrect?

People need to stop taking things personally we all need to get back to work.

For many of us we never stopped work that includes the people that made those evil chicken rolls in Spar.

Did you pop in for one yourself very tasty I had one myself last week while on my break.

Had to sit on my own however do I get a medal?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭snowcat

Yeah sure why implement any measures. Just let everyone do their own thing. Epidemiologists don't know what they're talking about.

Its beginning to look like that. Other countries have taken the brave steps before us and it is shown that the virus does not get uncontrollable with relaxation of restrictions. Can we learn from them please. Or at least ask Tony to give his equivalent in Austria or Switzerland a call to see how their cancellation of restrictions is going. And Tony is not an Epidemiologist and i dont believe we even have one on our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

The only arguments I've ever seen with regards to lifting restrictions is "look what the other countries are doing". Why do people present this as some sort of fact that shows it's the right thing to do?

I'm not saying that the current restrictions are the right thing to do either, that's because it's anyone's guess how this will play out, either way.

The issue is the numbers in this country. Our covid new cases, active cases are all in low 0.01 to 0.1% bracket relative to our population. Our economic damage from restrictions is 5 to 15% gdp loss, 15 to 30% unemployment. Justifying keeping restrictions in place just doesnt add up.

And no i dont believe if we open Ikea that 0.01 to 0.1% is gonna skyrocket to 10 to 15% of population. This isnt a movie.

People need to stop taking things personally we all need to get back to work.

For many of us we never stopped work that includes the people that made those evil chicken rolls in Spar.

Did you pop in for one yourself very tasty I had one myself last week while on my break.

Had to sit on my own however do I get a medal?;)

All I said was that construction needs to be monitored because it is a higher risk area, as demonstrated by the number of workers congregating together during their lunch.

Or maybe you think social distancing is a hoax as well?

• Advertisement

snowcat wrote: »
    Its beginning to look like that. Other countries have taken the brave steps before us and it is shown that the virus does not get uncontrollable with relaxation of restrictions. Can we learn from them please. Or at least ask Tony to give his equivalent in Austria or Switzerland a call to see how their cancellation of restrictions is going. And Tony is not an Epidemiologist and i dont believe we even have one on our team.

I was referring to epidemiologists advice on social distancing, which people seem to have taken exception to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Rip it down, put a cap of spending on it and place it somewhere that is much more accessible by the people who need it - there is no amount of excuses in the world that can brush off one building costing as much as 2-3 full hospitals anywhere else in the world.

****ing hell that hospital is making Brandenburg airport in Berlin look like it was sculpted by the gods in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Just heard on the news, 37k tests carried out last week. At 15k capacity per day thats not even 40%.

So if 2 week extension on 1 May was due to testing not being where Tony wanted, why arent phases being brought forward now that we have overcapacity for testing??

At the end of the day our construction lads arent gonna look for a test and take their symptoms for a flu and keep chopping away at 800 eur per week. Why wud we wait until August or July is beyond me...

All I said was that construction needs to be monitored because it is a higher risk area, as demonstrated by the number of workers congregating together during their lunch.

Or maybe you think social distancing is a hoax as well?

The builders went back to work yesterday on THEIR break they went to spar and huddled together.

What do you suggest I do about it?

You seem them did you give them a piece of your mind?
    Did you call the Guards?
    Did you complain to the construction company?

You seem to be worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.20101253v1

Locations with high burdens of nursing home deaths may have high IFR estimates, but the IFR would still be very low among non-elderly, non-debilitated people. The average length of stay in a nursing home is slightly more than 2 years and people who die in nursing homes die in an median of 5 months so it is likely that COVID-19 nursing home deaths may have happened in people with life expectancy of only a few months. This needs to be verified in careful assessments of COVID-19 outbreaks in nursing homes with detailed risk profiling of the fatalities. If this pattern is prominent, it may even create a dent of less than expected mortality in the very elderly age stratum (e.g. >85 years) in the next 3-6 months following the passage of the coronavirus excess mortality wave.

Panic: a lockdown that never added up in the first place in QALYS terms.

Pig-headed refusal to admit error: maintaining the lockdown, in the face of the mountain of evidence similar to the above.

The builders went back to work yesterday on THEIR break they went to spar and huddled together.

Did you call the Guards?

I don't know why you capitalised "their". Obviously it was their break.

I didn't ask you to do anything about it, and why would I?

I didn't give them a piece of my mind, why would I?

I didn't call the guards, why would I?

I didn't complain to the construction company, why would I?

I wouldn't say I'm worried about the situation, but I merely made the observation that construction workers can congregate together, both inside and outside of construction sites. Construction sites need to be managed to avoid this happening. The last thing people want is for there to be any step back in measures.

You seem to have gotten your knickers in a bunch over an innocuous comment and I've no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

When are the likes of painters allowed back to work, June 29th?

I wouldn't say I'm worried about the situation, but I merely made the observation that construction workers can congregate together, both inside and outside of construction sites. Construction sites need to be managed to avoid this happening. The last thing people want is for there to be any step back in measures.

You seem to have gotten your knickers in a bunch over an innocuous comment and I've no idea why.

My knickers are not in a twist I am in a quite happy mood at the moment I am just trying to break it to people who are still out of work that we NEED to get the country running again.

As regards the builders they are grown adults on their break not company time there is nothing that can be done about it let us be realistic.

When are the likes of painters allowed back to work, June 29th?

Surely yesterday? Are they not classed as construction workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭snowcat

I saw lidl workers out for a cigarette today outside their place of work right beside each other. Maybe even closer than the till positions. I will be reporting those essential workers to the Gardai and hope they get jailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Did you call the Guards?

I'm not sure witch tread I posted this information on yesterday or the day before.
    Most builders are working in groups together ,traveling to work in the same groups together , having the same lunch breaks as the same groups.
    This is all to reduce the chances of spread of the virus through out a site.
    Each group will work the same shift ect

My knickers are not in a twist I am in a quite happy mood at the moment I am just trying to break it to people who are still out of work that we NEED to get the country running again.

As regards the builders they are grown adults on their break not company time there is nothing that can be done about it let us be realistic.

This poster said your knickers were in a twist which was a tad ironic I have to say given their own concern over reckless builders eating lunches outside

I saw lidl workers out for a cigarette today outside their place of work right beside each other. Maybe even closer than the till positions. I will be reporting those essential workers to the Gardai and hope they get jailed.

Why stop at just jail?

Don't think so.

blonde-haired-woman-bob-cut-sitting-near-canvas-painting-blonde-haired-woman-blonde-haired-woman-bob-cut-wearing-150272814.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why stop at just jail?

I agree. That poster should have executed them in the carpark. Unacceptable behaviour.

Christ, you people are just looking for an argument. When did I ever say that they should be reported to the guards or that we should be enforcing anything laws on them when their on their own time?

I said that the construction sector has to be carefully watched. Why? Because construction workers tend to congregate together.

This poster said your knickers were in a twist which was a tad ironic I have to say given their own concern over reckless builders eating lunches outside

Well let us be fair chicken rolls I mean that is just foul.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I hope you're trying to be funny.

On those Lidl lads and laddies.
    If this thing was as deadly as some people have us believe sure then wer'e basically throwing those people to the wolves every day.
    They way they deal with hundreds of people in pretty close contact - every single day - handing things to people taking their cash surely they're all on death row.

But not a moan out of them. They deserve some respect tbh. And of course not just Lidl but all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Should have clarified, painters and decorators doing indoor work and not the type CinemaGuy45 mentioned :). Was just wondering if there was more of a restriction on those or if they were just treated as construction like you said.

• Advertisement

Christ, you people are just looking for an argument. When did I ever say that they should be reported to the guards or that we should be enforcing anything laws on them when their on their own time?

I said that the construction sector has to be carefully watched. Why? Because construction workers tend to congregate together.

We are not most of us who have been working from the start of this have learned to not let things worry us.

I am posting in a light joking tone the undercurrent of posts is for you to relax and not worry about it.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement