Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

“Construction workers outside spar eating chicken rolls“ is the new “my neighbour is having a bbq with a million friends”
    People thought there would be a massive spike in cases after that “scandal” and there wasn’t. So maybe, just maybe, we’ll be grand and people need to relax a bit.
    When I say “relax” I don’t mean stop washing your hands or stop keeping your distance before I get my bottom smacked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭snowcat

I hope you're trying to be funny.

On those Lidl lads and laddies.
    If this thing was as deadly as some people have us believe sure then wer'e basically throwing those people to the wolves every day.
    They way they deal with hundreds of people in pretty close contact - every single day - handing things to people taking their cash surely they're all on death row.

But not a moan out of them. They deserve some respect tbh. And of course not just Lidl but all of them.

I say goodbye to my local lidl girl every day. She must be Covid resistant at this stage. Seriously a lot of respect for those frontline workers that are forgotten about. Its not all ICU doctors and nurses even though they are playing a blinder as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

The fall out of project fear is going to take a long,long time to unwind.some people are it seems just looking for an excuse to give out about people back working or the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭VonLuck

“Construction workers outside spar eating chicken rolls“ is the new “my neighbour is having a bbq with a million friends”
    People thought there would be a massive spike in cases after that “scandal” and there wasn’t. So maybe, just maybe, we’ll be grand and people need to relax a bit.
    When I say “relax” I don’t mean stop washing your hands or stop keeping your distance before I get my bottom smacked

I'm not going to get worried about a few irresponsible people breaking social distancing guidance. Although I would be worried if everyone adopted the same attitude.

If you start accepting this kind of thing as the norm, that's when people get complacent. That's why the construction sector as a whole needs to keep watch of on site activities, to avoid complacency.

You're not going to be able to control peoples behaviour, only educate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

boggerman1 wrote: »
    The fall out of project fear is going to take a long,long time to unwind.some people are it seems just looking for an excuse to give out about people back working or the rest.

Indeed. I think the busybodies badly need to get back to work (if they work that is) so they won’t have the time to be “worried “ about what everyone else is doing or where they are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Should have clarified, painters and decorators doing indoor work and not the type CinemaGuy45 mentioned :). Was just wondering if there was more of a restriction on those or if they were just treated as construction like you said.

No technically unless they are working outside painters outside of construction sites aren't allowed back .

They haven't really clarified fully what stage the likes of painters / tilers or people who work in home renovations can return .

I suppose if the house was empty it wouldn't be a problem but Tony was asked last Friday and he said " kitchen makeovers " aren't allowed yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Yellow Belly foul a wing and a prayer there is a joke in there somewhere but I give up.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

snowcat wrote: »
    I say goodbye to my local lidl girl every day. She must be Covid resistant at this stage. Seriously a lot of respect for those frontline workers that are forgotten about. Its not all ICU doctors and nurses even though they are playing a blinder as well

What the f**k are you doing in there every day???

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-can-be-accessed-only-for-emergencies-says-minister-1.4232565
    Hardware stores may reopen as essential retailers during the Covid-19 pandemic but people can only visit them for “emergencies”, Minister for Business Heather Humphreys has said.

Speaking on This Week on RTÉ Radio 1 on Sunday, Ms Humphreys said: “Hardware stores can operate. I want to stress, this is in a very limited and restricted way.

“It’s not the case that hardware stores should be open to the general public but if you need something as an emergency, for example, if you have a burst pipe in your house, or if there’s a hole in your roof and the rain is coming in, or the fridge gives up.

“Obviously, in emergency cases like that, you and your tradesman are going to need to be able to access certain materials from the hardware shops to fix the problem.

“So I want to stress in cases like that, it should be done by delivery or on an emergency call-up basis. So basically if there’s an emergency or you need to get something the hardware stores can provide that to you.”

Meanwhile I see Woodies have an ad on facebook and the only thing they specifically advertise having is that they "yes, we have paint" !!, must be that special Dulux emergency paint.

https://www.facebook.com/WoodiesIE/

you'd think they would be a bit more discrete about it! big company like that.

It'd be like Charlie Chawke with his pubs opening since they have restaurant licences putting out an ad saying "come drink as much as you want, all you have to buy is a small cheap starter"

Essential trip to buy essential supplies within 5 km of the posters home

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Indeed. I think the busybodies badly need to get back to work (if they work that is) so they won’t have the time to be “worried “ about what everyone else is doing or where they are going.

Are you not fearful? Not of the virus itself, but that these restrictions could be extended even further.

Do you not think that with the current phasing plans that there is every likelihood that the government could delay phases or even go back a phase? I don't know about you, but I'd like to keep those figures low enough to keep everyone working, myself included.

rubadub wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-can-be-accessed-only-for-emergencies-says-minister-1.4232565

Meanwhile I see Woodies have an ad on facebook and the only thing they specifically advertise having is that they "yes, we have paint" !!, must be that special Dulux emergency paint.

It'd be like Charlie Chawke with his pubs opening since they have restaurant licences putting out an ad saying "come drink as much as you want, all you have to buy is a small cheap starter"

What did you think they’d be selling, ventilators?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Chatting up the Lidl girl of course.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Are you not fearful? Not of the virus itself, but that these restrictions could be extended even further.

Do you not think that with the current phasing plans that there is every likelihood that the government could delay phases or even go back a phase? I don't know about you, but I'd like to keep those figures low enough to keep everyone working, myself included.

No. I don’t live by fear. It’s a dreadful way to live. I just dont buy into all this ****e about lockdowns and I’ve zero faith in Nphet, Harris or the hse.
    Confident there will be war if they try re impose this rubbish again so that’s what keeps me going. I view it as like being a cracked dam now, once the cracks appeared and water started flowing there’s no going back. And there isn’t. Tony’s “threats” are counterproductive.

Business closed without a whimper last March as it was the “right thing to do” according to pressure from the social media baying mobs. They won’t roll over and die so easily next time. I can’t see the likes of this ever being allowed to happen again tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭prunudo

And yet again we see the government and the general public at seperate stages of easing restrictions. From what I've heard from Varadkar, Harris, amd Hoolahan over the last few days, they're way off the mark of where the rest of country thinks they are.

Essential trip to buy essential supplies within 5 km of the posters home

It is not essential to replace every item in the press as it used Also do people still not realise the 5k element relates to exercise and not shopping? People who live 6k from a shop are not expected to starve to death.

Ps I was having a bit of fun, I presume the op means every day as in every day they are in there. I also endorse their sentiment in terms of kudos to shop workers.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

No. I don’t live by fear. It’s a dreadful way to live. I just dont buy into all this ****e about lockdowns and I’ve zero faith in Nphet, Harris or the hse.
    Confident there will be war if they try re impose this rubbish again so that’s what keeps me going. I view it as like being a cracked dam now, once the cracks appeared and water started flowing there’s no going back. And there isn’t. Tony’s “threats” are counterproductive

Well I mean, you don't really get to call the shots on the lockdown, regardless of whether you buy into it or not. You're going to (and have been) impacted by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What did you think they’d be selling, ventilators?
    No, but I did not expect them to effectively blatantly give 2 fingers to the Ministers request, everybody knows people won't be obeying the ministers wishes and just going in for a browse and to buy some stuff which is not essential. But you don't have to rub it in the governments face.

I am just amazed they do not even attempt to make out that they want to comply. I expected the ad to list some things related to things she mentioned, if anything at all. Those head shops with their "bath salts, not for human consumption ;);)" were more discrete!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

prunudo wrote: »
    And yet again when see the government and the general public at seperate stages of easing restrictions. From what I've heard from Varadkar, Harris, amd Hoolahan over the last few days, they're way off the mark of where the rest of country thinks they are.

It happened at the start when restrictions were being put in place, the public moved ahead of them. It's happening again now with the unwinding. Hence the constant soundbites of "this will or could get worse" "it'll be here for years to come". All to try and get public compliance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

bush wrote: »
    I'm sick of this at this stage. According to the roadmap I can't work until the 20th of July and the virus is basically non existant. Depressing.

To claim it is basically non existant is nothing short of ****ing idiotic.

• Advertisement

snowcat wrote: »
    Google is your king

So Code of Federal Regulation or an airport in northern France ;)

VonLuck wrote: »
    Well I mean, you don't really get to call the shots on the lockdown, regardless of whether you buy into it or not. You're going to (and have been) impacted by it.

In a democracy (Ireland hasn’t been one through this) I believe everyone’s views should be expressed and represented. I certainly don’t feel that was the case here (despite admitting I vote FG, they only have 35 seats but have been making unprecedented decisions). I abide by the majority of it but that doesn’t mean I agree with it. Some I’ve no choice in like supporting closed businesses, others like the barmy 5 km thing I view as complete and utter ****e and don’t stick to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    To claim it is basically non existant is nothing short of ****ing idiotic.

This is d sort of thing Tony would say.

In all seriousness when 0.01% of population represents live cases... I think OP has a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

prunudo wrote: »
    And yet again we see the government and the general public at seperate stages of easing restrictions. From what I've heard from Varadkar, Harris, amd Hoolahan over the last few days, they're way off the mark of where the rest of country thinks they are.

Where the rest of the country thinks they are. Thats the problem. Many people think the virus is gone and they can go back to their old ways. That carries the danger of a new outbreak.

crossman47 wrote: »
    Where the rest of the country thinks they are. Thats the problem. Many people think the virus is gone and they can go back to their old ways. That carries the danger of a new outbreak.

Is it “gone” in other countries that have much more relaxed restrictions?
    I think people that write like this must be paralysed by fear. I would almost feel sorry for them but for they insist on imposing their dictates on the rest of society also, instead of just completely self isolating themselves which is what they ought to do if that afraid of Covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

No, but I did not expect them to effectively blatantly give 2 fingers to the Ministers request, everybody knows people won't be obeying the ministers wishes and just going in for a browse and to buy some stuff which is not essential. But you don't have to rub it in the governments face.

Rub it in the government's face?

They have took initiative to reopen business and generate revenue for themselves, their employees and the state.

Something "the government" have given no consideration to whatsoever, so rather than worry about causing offense to Tony and Co if you can open responsibly regarding distance etc show the initiative and do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This is d sort of thing Tony would say.

In all seriousness when 0.01% of population represents live cases... I think OP has a point.

Basically non existant can become 1000s of cases quite quickly. Yes open up, but do not categorise it as basically non existant. It's a constant threat we have to learn to live amongst.

And piss off with your comparison. What are you putting Dr Tony as the enemy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭prunudo

crossman47 wrote: »

Far from it, I think people are starting to realise that we have to live with this. People are out and about but I'm not seeing wreckless behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How are people judging out relaxation of measures as opposed to other countries?

• Advertisement

Rub it in the government's face?

They have took initiative to reopen business and generate revenue for themselves, their employees and the state.

Something "the government" have given no consideration to whatsoever, so rather than worry about causing offense to Tony and Co if you can open responsibly regarding distance etc show the initiative and do it.

Yes the state isn’t so reticent when rates and VAT etc are due.
    Such a pack of Lemons, can easily see them bankrupting us given half the chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement