Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Gael23 wrote: »
    How are people judging out relaxation of measures as opposed to other countries?

Too slow and way too cautious compared to others

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

VonLuck wrote: »
    All I said was that construction needs to be monitored because it is a higher risk area, as demonstrated by the number of workers congregating together during their lunch.

Or maybe you think social distancing is a hoax as well?

Karen???

https://youtu.be/aR3uA2eLgbk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

How are people judging out relaxation of measures as opposed to other countries?

It seems Tony is playing spin the bottle on a Chinese calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Blaze420 wrote: »

Hopefully they will accelerate if the next few weeks go well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭crossman47

Rub it in the government's face?

Something "the government" have given no consideration to whatsoever, so rather than worry about causing offense to Tony and Co if you can open responsibly regarding distance etc show the initiative and do it.

Tony et all won't take offence as I'm sure its not personal for them. They are working for us to the best of their ability and deserve thanks for that. I heard him say in the Dail today some NEPHET meetings went on into the early hours yet he has to come back the next day and face mainly idiotic questions from journalists just angling for a headline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

road_high wrote: »
    No. I don’t live by fear. It’s a dreadful way to live. I just dont buy into all this ****e about lockdowns and I’ve zero faith in Nphet, Harris or the hse.
    Confident there will be war if they try re impose this rubbish again so that’s what keeps me going. I view it as like being a cracked dam now, once the cracks appeared and water started flowing there’s no going back. And there isn’t. Tony’s “threats” are counterproductive.

Business closed without a whimper last March as it was the “right thing to do” according to pressure from the social media baying mobs. They won’t roll over and die so easily next time. I can’t see the likes of this ever being allowed to happen again tbh

I think one of the things is at the start was we were all in this together, and when I mean together I mean looking across Europe and the world but mainly Europe.

It was everywhere, here’s what’s happening in Italy, France, Germany, Spain etc etc. Here’s the situation so we have to lock down. But the rhetoric was based on this is what everyone is doing across Europe for example, we are all in this together, every country is locking down. I remember Leo talking about calls with other leaders across Europe and here’s what they know, here’s what they’re doing and we have to do the same. No issues, all in this together.

But that rhetoric has stopped, no longer are we in this together, no longer is there emphasis on what other countries are doing because every other country seems to have the capacity to move on far far quicker than us for some reason (a reason I’ve yet to hear a logical explanation for)

So the here’s what other countries rhetoric stopped and got dropped but for most people they have the means and critical thinking to actually analyse for themselves and the www gives us the means to see what others are doing and imho I see nothing wrong with asking why?

Others seem content to just listen to what they’re told to do and carry on regardless, as if daring to question and wonder is akin to spreading the virus and having little regard for others it seems.

Maybe the reluctance to question and wonder if something is right is a hang on from old catholic Ireland where a position of apparent stature means they should never be questioned, I’ve seen that attitude in certain posters who take this approach where they have emphasised the jobs they have multiple times as if this entails them to a higher importance of opinion, who knows?

Personally see nothing wrong with questioning and asking why?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The first countries out will be the first ones back in to COVID prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That is quite possible. I would rather go with a slow plan and keep to it instead of going fast and taking several steps back.

Nonsense - just like the estimate of 33k dead here by today, hysterical overblown ****in nonsense. Cocoon the vulnerable, lock down the nursing and care homes and the rest of us will survive it - the wet dream of a lockdown until 2021 some want is nothing but a gross and simple minded deflection from the actual truth of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Like those reckless Danes and Germans are?
    The only ones still in prison are the Irish, sadly. And unfortunately I’m stuck here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Because they know if there is huge deaths they will get blamed my the media and the anti everything brigade.

They really can't win.

Just listen to the public accounts committee today.

SF baying for blood to score political points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Nonsense - just like the estimate of 33k dead here by today, hysterical overblown ****in nonsense. Cocoon the vulnerable, lock down the nursing and care homes and the rest of us will survive it - the wet dream of a lockdown until 2021 some want is nothing but a gross and simple minded deflection from the actual truth of the situation.

+1

The pandemic is over, the so called first wave took the most (and only) vulnerable. While we will tread carefully to ease out of lockdown, I don't see from any source that the crisis will be escalating for round 2 to the point where we need to shut everything down again. Sure, there may be new clusters but not enough to warrant locking down the fit and healthy again.

crossman47 wrote: »
    I heard him say in the Dail today some NEPHET meetings went on into the early hours yet he has to come back the next day and face mainly idiotic questions from journalists just angling for a headline.

This is the issue. Certain people take the god love Tony approach hes at work very late.

I say thats bolix, working until early hours but NPHET said they were to busy to publish the meeting minutes.

Where does busy stop and inefficiency start?

crossman47 wrote: »
    No, I'm not paralysed by fear. I want to see the economy restarted but I think its better to do it gradually while continuously warning people to be careful rather than lifting restrictions quickly and running the real risk they will have to be reimposed. The latter would be difficult to achieve.

There’s gradual and then there’s glacial. We are the later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Maybe if people didn't constantly use the health service or deaths as a stick to beat the government with they wouldn't be overly cautious.

Pulling them in front a committee today for questioning already.

No wonder they try to cover their arse at every angle.

33k!!!

That old hyperbole is gobbled up by certain citizens who would frequently comment RIP and god bless.

Others are ready to smash the radio listening to such unsubstantiated lies

Pulling them in front a committee today for questioning already.

No wonder they try to cover their arse at every angle.

But it was 2 months late to demand answers from them.

They should of been demanding transparency from day 1.

Tony answered "as low as possible" to a direct question!

Why is accountability so difficult from Ireland's approach?

Transparency seems to be a privilege not a right, private hospitals empty, cancer screening cancelled, 1 million on emergency payment, all the while Simon is extending Gardai emergency powers. So yeah Tony needs to start answering a few questions, my only issue is that its not Ivan Yates asking them

Of course we are approaching the time of year when coronavirus' spread are naturally constrained by temperature.

Which is great.

Summer does not the rest of the year though!

Of course we are approaching the time of year when coronavirus' spread are naturally constrained by temperature.

Which is great.

Summer does not the rest of the year though!

You and I don’t know enough about CV19 to make any such statements as to whether it has a “season” or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Very sensible approach to make small steps and monitor the effect. What's not to like? It's such a relief when you see countries like the US and UK trying to open up while they still have thousands of cases each day.

• Advertisement

You and I don’t know enough about CV19 to make any such statements as to whether it has a “season” or not.

Actually there is evidence it is having some effect across Europe with declining cases.

In north America the increase in cases in more restricted than it was as well.

Across the mid latitudes in the northern hemisphere generally cases are declining.

Whereas in south America and the southern hemisphere infection rates are increasing as they go in to their winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Posted on the main thread but probably something to be posted here as well seeing as they use it as a metric for easing restrictions

HSE Hosptial Operations report for today

As of 8pm there are 364 confirmed cases and 285 suspected cases.
    At 8am that was 368 and 403 suspected cases so based off that 8pm figures we can clearly see that suspected cases doesn't quite tell us much about the overall trend.

As of 8pm 54 in ICU down 1 from yesterday with 1 less also reported on ventilator so good news for someone and their family there. No ICU deaths reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Actually there is evidence it is having some effect across Europe with declining cases.

In north America the increase in cases in more restricted than it was as well.

Across the mid latitudes in the northern hemisphere generally cases are declining.

Whereas in south America and the southern hemisphere infection rates are increasing as they go in to their winter.

Sau Paulos temp this week is to be between 25 to 27 degrees. A lot better than we get here..?

rafatoni wrote: »
    Sau Paulos temp this week is to between 25 to 27 degrees. A lot better than we get here..?

Indeed. Their “winter “ would be more like our heatwaves

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

Come off it. You were saying only two weeks back, when they relaxed restrictions in Singapore about an increase in cases there. They don't have seasons. Temps are hot year round and yet increases are still happening there today. I don't buy that this virus is season dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Posted on the main thread but probably something to be posted here as well seeing as they use it as a metric for easing restrictions

HSE Hosptial Operations report for today

As of 8pm there are 364 confirmed cases and 285 suspected cases.
    At 8am that was 368 and 403 suspected cases so based off that 8pm figures we can clearly see that suspected cases doesn't quite tell us much about the overall trend.

As of 8pm 54 in ICU down 1 from yesterday with 1 less also reported on ventilator so good news for someone and their family there. No ICU deaths reported.

That’s way too sensible a post for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Well said also like that username I remember the film from many years ago.;)

83957.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah my bad. I'll learn for tomorrow night 😂

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

You'd swear from some of the posts on here that Woodies is like a nightclub with people crammed in on top of each other coughing and spluttering all over the place.

I've been to 2 hardware stores 3 times in Cork since yesterday morning. All three visits involved queueing. There was minimal people in both stores, and where possible staff were trying to segregate the different parts of the stores to ensure that people weren't browsing the whole shop when shopping for specific categories of items. Everyone social distancing, some people wearing masks, most in and out and getting what they need. Exactly the same as I have been observing, if not better, in supermarkets since mid March. Supermarkets didn't lead to collapse of ICUs and neither will what was enabled yesterday.

Lots of extra traffic on the roads today and yesterday which is fantastic to see. People are getting their lives back while taking adequate precautions to protect themselves and the public at large. I can see there being some accidents though as not everyone has realised this and you have a lot of people taking junctions as bends and going around corners on the wrong side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

marno21 wrote: »
    You'd swear from some of the posts on here that Woodies is like a nightclub with people crammed in on top of each other coughing and spluttering all over the place.

I've been to 2 hardware stores 3 times in Cork since yesterday morning. All three visits involved queueing. There was minimal people in both stores, and where possible staff were trying to segregate the different parts of the stores to ensure that people weren't browsing the whole shop when shopping for specific categories of items. Everyone social distancing, some people wearing masks, most in and out and getting what they need. Exactly the same as I have been observing, if not better, in supermarkets since mid March. Supermarkets didn't lead to collapse of ICUs and neither will what was enabled yesterday.

Lots of extra traffic on the roads today and yesterday which is fantastic to see. People are getting their lives back while taking adequate precautions to protect themselves and the public at large. I can see there being some accidents though as not everyone has realised this and you have a lot of people taking junctions as bends and going around corners on the wrong side of the road.

I asked the questions of the experts here what were the incidences of the virus among employees in retail outlet open throughout the lockdown. No one has yet answered that question. The challenge and the fear is public transport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement