Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

marno21 wrote: »
    You'd swear from some of the posts on here that Woodies is like a nightclub with people crammed in on top of each other coughing and spluttering all over the place.

I've been to 2 hardware stores 3 times in Cork since yesterday morning. All three visits involved queueing. There was minimal people in both stores, and where possible staff were trying to segregate the different parts of the stores to ensure that people weren't browsing the whole shop when shopping for specific categories of items. Everyone social distancing, some people wearing masks, most in and out and getting what they need. Exactly the same as I have been observing, if not better, in supermarkets since mid March. Supermarkets didn't lead to collapse of ICUs and neither will what was enabled yesterday.

Lots of extra traffic on the roads today and yesterday which is fantastic to see. People are getting their lives back while taking adequate precautions to protect themselves and the public at large. I can see there being some accidents though as not everyone has realised this and you have a lot of people taking junctions as bends and going around corners on the wrong side of the road.

I asked the questions of the experts here what were the incidences of the virus among employees in retail outlet open throughout the lockdown. No one has yet answered that question. The challenge and the fear is public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

We’re turning into a nation of curtain twitchers, what a complete waste of Garda resources :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Community transmission is at an all time low, great news. I've got a good feeling about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

SusieBlue wrote: »
    We’re turning into a nation of curtain twitchers, what a complete waste of Garda resources :rolleyes:

I'd say the guards had a good laugh when the call ended :pac:

Brother wanted to phone the guards today because the ice cream van was around, for f+ck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Blaze420 wrote: »
    You and I don’t know enough about CV19 to make any such statements as to whether it has a “season” or not.

That minor detail never seems to have any impact on that particular poster and stating predictions with absolutely certainty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe if people didn't constantly use the health service or deaths as a stick to beat the government with they wouldn't be overly cautious.
    If the government and HSE weren't overly cautious(AKA bumbling eejits) in the first place and made better decisions and showed actual leadership during this crisis then we'd have a lot fewer sticks to beat them with.

And no, Leo quoting Heaney isn't leadership. Leadership would have been a proactive lockdown coming earlier when it was bloody obvious the poo was hitting the propeller, border control, cross border cooperation with the North(which even FF were able to manage during foot and mouth), consistent testing, consistent contact tracing, not trying to open up the care homes, not having so many "advisories". The list is a long one and it's not as if they couldn't have looked to countries that nailed this thing down hard and did so well in advance of us. And here we are today and they're still bumbling around like headless bloody chickens.

And of course people will look to deaths and the HSE. The latter hasn't been fit for purpose for decades at the admin level and our deaths are too damned high when compared to others. And no, pointing to England and saying we did better than them is like a school kid with C's and D's on his report card saying he did better than the kid in the back of the class with the crayon up his nose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    And no, pointing to England and saying we did better than them is like a school kid with C's and D's on his report card saying he did better than the kid in the back of the class with the crayon up his nose.

Still better than your kid being the one with the crayon up his nose

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Only if we only aspire to be mediocre and worse then pat ourselves on the back for it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Community transmission is at an all time low, great news. I've got a good feeling about this.

so why is Simon Harris still "nervous"? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anything to do with a global pandemic where we are still getting 50+ cases a day? Things have greatly improved, but those in charge should still be nervous. 2 weeks with zero community transmission cases might be a time for nerves to start to ease. Until we get to that stage there is always the chance of new clusters breaking out of nowhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

And of course people will look to deaths and the HSE. The latter hasn't been fit for purpose for decades at the admin level and our deaths are too damned high when compared to others. And no, pointing to England and saying we did better than them is like a school kid with C's and D's on his report card saying he did better than the kid in the back of the class with the crayon up his nose.

Did anyone else picture Boris as the kid with the crayon?

Changes in restrictions in Northern Ireland mean that groups of up to 6 people can go hiking in the mountains from today. They dont have the idiotic 5km restriction up there or in the UK! I hike with a Northern Ireland club but even when restrictions HERE ease up to 20km on 8th June I STILL wont be able to get out hiking with any of them.
    What I am missing most now is human company. I live alone and have been alone since the beginning of this. To say lately my mental health is suffering is an understatement.

I visited my sister in Kildare on Sunday for a few hours , I was out at a garden centre yesterday, I walk and cycle everyday but despite the slight easing of restrictions I feel worse as this is going on. This 5km rule is a completely over the top and hugely repressive restriction at this stage!

Only if we only aspire to be mediocre and worse then pat ourselves on the back for it.

I thought that was the national motto. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Currently there are almost 5million people who have been diagnosed with Covid19 worldwide. It took one person to pass this to another and set of a pandemic.
    Another reason to be nervous is complacency. People will get tired of the restrictions and stop taking the precautions they should.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

marno21 wrote: »
    You'd swear from some of the posts on here that Woodies is like a nightclub with people crammed in on top of each other coughing and spluttering all over the place.

I've been to 2 hardware stores 3 times in Cork since yesterday morning. All three visits involved queueing. There was minimal people in both stores, and where possible staff were trying to segregate the different parts of the stores to ensure that people weren't browsing the whole shop when shopping for specific categories of items. Everyone social distancing, some people wearing masks, most in and out and getting what they need. Exactly the same as I have been observing, if not better, in supermarkets since mid March. Supermarkets didn't lead to collapse of ICUs and neither will what was enabled yesterday.

Lots of extra traffic on the roads today and yesterday which is fantastic to see. People are getting their lives back while taking adequate precautions to protect themselves and the public at large. I can see there being some accidents though as not everyone has realised this and you have a lot of people taking junctions as bends and going around corners on the wrong side of the road.

So you went to the hardware store 3 times in just over 24 hours. Im sure each trip was essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Brother wanted to phone the guards today because the ice cream van was around, for f+ck sake
    There are many things we've learnt during this, not least about ourselves and others. Think CMO can rest assured people are not going to be let this new freedom go to anyone's head!

So you went to the hardware store 3 times in just over 24 hours. Im sure each trip was essential.
    Now, now, think happy thoughts. Remember you will have to live with all of these "horrible" people when this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

SusieBlue wrote: »

How was she able to see them that both that morning and that evening unless she was also travelling outside the 5km range? Yeah, "dentist", sure :rolleyes: Who's to say the two in the photo weren't also in the city centre for essential business.

Reminds me of a HSE worker who posts regularly here who was getting regular harassment on his cycle commute into work for being outside his 2km.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Not the best, not the worst, just what we're stuck with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Basically non existant can become 1000s of cases quite quickly. Yes open up, but do not categorise it as basically non existant. It's a constant threat we have to learn to live amongst.

And piss off with your comparison. What are you putting Dr Tony as the enemy now?

Wow tempers are flying. Rude.

Live cases is about 4000 right now. With social distancing and hand washing that is instilled in majority of people in this country through brainwashing ads over the last 2 months, its not going to get to 400,000 in couple of weeks if we open all businesses apart from nightclubs and concerts on 8th June. We are not in a movie.

PS we have 80% free hospital and ICU capacity, underutilised, currently about 5000 people do covid test everyday, out of 15,000 capacity. We are basically driving mercedes at 20km/h when speed limit is 100km/h.

PS Dr Tony is not enemy of the people, just enemy of businesses and people trying to live their lives eg. getting a haircut or shopping for a bed in IKEA, who will face 0 consequences apart from his "reputation" being tarnished from this mess we ll have to clear up for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

A lot of Karen's about.

SNNUS wrote: »
    A lot of Karen's about.
    Is this a cultural reference we should recognise?

YAY! Just arranged hiking tomorrow with a friend , no restrictions in Northern Ireland anymore. I live close enough to the border so once I get there I will be free for the day, no police checkpoints in NI ! This is the way to go from tomorrow onwards.
    After 10 weeks alone I've done my bit! The 5km here is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Whirlaway

is_that_so wrote: »

A 'Karen' is an entitled person prone to faux-outrage who asks to speak to your manager about some perceived injustice. I'm not sure it fits with someone ratting out an ice-cream van, but maybe I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its an adaption of "I want to speak to the manager" meme, Corona just gives them more opportunities

https://twitter.com/robbystarbuck/status/1262173200479379456

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

When reality hits

"The Government will seek to have the Dáil rush through authorisation for billions of euro in additional funding for social welfare payments next week amid concerns that the Department of Social Protection will effectively run out of money in early June."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-to-seek-extra-billions-next-week-to-help-cover-ireland-s-coronavirus-payments-1.4257705?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fgovernment-to-seek-extra-billions-next-week-to-help-cover-ireland-s-coronavirus-payments-1.4257705

Talk about "we can borrow at low rates". Why dont they just open up the country by end of June and avoid burdening young generation with debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Basically the Corona police that we hear about here, someone outraged that someone is somewhere eating a chicken roll etc..

https://youtu.be/aR3uA2eLgbk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Why dont they just open up the country by end of June and avoid burdening young generation with debt.

We have been saddled with a political and bureaucratic class to which the concept of 'risk', any kind of risk, is anathema.

They would, quite literally, saddle us with billions of euros of unnecessary debt, in order to avoid a minuscule risk to their reputations.

This crisis has exposed the complete lack of leadership, responsibility and bravery that we have cultivated at the top of our society.

We will all pay for this dearly in the coming years and decades.

Not the best, not the worst, just what we're stuck with

cover-photo-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

When reality hits

"The Government will seek to have the Dáil rush through authorisation for billions of euro in additional funding for social welfare payments next week amid concerns that the Department of Social Protection will effectively run out of money in early June."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-to-seek-extra-billions-next-week-to-help-cover-ireland-s-coronavirus-payments-1.4257705?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fgovernment-to-seek-extra-billions-next-week-to-help-cover-ireland-s-coronavirus-payments-1.4257705

Talk about "we can borrow at low rates". Why dont they just open up the country by end of June and avoid burdening young generation with debt.

Yup was said a few weeks ago at cabinet that both the dept of social protection and dept of business would use up all their budget for the year within weeks.
    This isn't sustainable and wont keep going when the €350 12 weeks is up in a months time.

"In a letter to the Dáil’s business committee, Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe said the department’s current budget of €8.6 billion is likely to be 90 per cent spent by the end of May and fully spent by early June"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement