Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

No they don’t. They are going to be having another bond sale soon as they will run out of money in early June. If the bond sale doesn’t go as planned the next stop will be the IMF.
    It will be interesting to see. Those with their own central banks will print money, as countries always do at at time of severe crisis. There was a former member of the Bank of England monetary committee yesterday saying this was the way to go, based on a wartime response, and decrying the economic illiteracy of the 'money doesn't grow on trees' dogma brigade.

The real crux will be what Europe does, and if that outdated ideology of fiscal 'prudence' and 'tough choices' -- a bit like the lockdown lovers -- prevents us from moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Allinall wrote: »
    We are.

That's where the lots of money is coming from. :rolleyes:

Facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Would you travel to somewhere that US or Brazilian people are flocking to? I doubt it.

Had this conversation the other night. Now I love my travel and always have a suitcase ready to go :)
    But I definitely wouldn't be looking at the US for the rest of the year. The decisions being made are far too random and unpredictable. Now Rory has pi**ed of DT you could end up stuck in some backward town in Texas!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Facepalm

And these are the ones you see on social media calling for lockdown until the virus is wholly extinct. Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You do understand there isn't a good thing ?? If credit lines dry up due to every other country looking to the same institutions that leaves us up the creek.
    That's not how it works. Credit lines at an international level don't "dry up".
    Even when the entire planet has been on fire because everyone is at war with one another, credit lines have been available.

We'll be repaying the cost of this crisis for a decade or two, and I'm OK with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wibbs wrote: »
    If the government and HSE weren't overly cautious(AKA bumbling eejits) in the first place and made better decisions and showed actual leadership during this crisis then we'd have a lot fewer sticks to beat them with.

And no, Leo quoting Heaney isn't leadership. Leadership would have been a proactive lockdown coming earlier when it was bloody obvious the poo was hitting the propeller, border control, cross border cooperation with the North(which even FF were able to manage during foot and mouth), consistent testing, consistent contact tracing, not trying to open up the care homes, not having so many "advisories". The list is a long one and it's not as if they couldn't have looked to countries that nailed this thing down hard and did so well in advance of us. And here we are today and they're still bumbling around like headless bloody chickens.

And of course people will look to deaths and the HSE. The latter hasn't been fit for purpose for decades at the admin level and our deaths are too damned high when compared to others. And no, pointing to England and saying we did better than them is like a school kid with C's and D's on his report card saying he did better than the kid in the back of the class with the crayon up his nose.

Again though, the correct decisions are obvious to many, in hindsight maybe yes, but they are obvious because the natural and important instinct here amongst the ordinary population is to make whatever call, and fast that can and will keep as many people as possible... healthy, safe and alive...

FG and Leo in particular are a money party. Their first loyalty as we have seen is to business, business people, balance sheets, spreadsheets, money worshipers and the health and wellbeing thereof...

We the ordinary citizens have been left behind and always will be when this kind of schmuck and these ‘anti people’ are in charge... a gay man and the son of an immigrant... not exactly the hallmarks of someone aligned VERY much to the right but that’s where the guy IS aligned and where his first loyalty’s lie.

Not you and me, not OUR health and wellbeing but to the business people currently frothing at the mouth to open and regain a sense of profit.

A healthy overall population or healthy business community... ? He was elected to serve the population... as set out in the constitution....

He is the definition of shady, not just a bad politician, actually shady and when the shît has hit the fan we have seen where his primary loyalties are, which community he will look after... let’s not forget it.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    And these are the ones you see on social media calling for lockdown until the virus is wholly extinct. Jesus wept.

It’s like people have completely forgotten how devastating the last recession was. I was 15 when it happened and I remember. No excuse for others

seamus wrote: »
    Even when the entire planet has been on fire because everyone is at war with one another, credit lines have been available.

We'll be repaying the cost of this crisis for a decade or two, and I'm OK with that.

Ok I'll rephrase it as the minister said, sentiments towards countries can change, the rates at which we can borrow change.

If as a previous poster stated the bond sale doesn't go to plan then what ??

You might be ok with that, I'm not comfortable with it. I'm already part of a generation who are priced out of purchasing our own homes due to the last crisis and the resulting cost of that crisis, sure just throw this one on top of it too. Let's see how many people are ok with the cost of it when it hits their taxes come the next budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Couple of negative 'relaxation of restriction' stories from abroad today.
    France rolling back on the opening of racecourses (horses) a week after they re-opened.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/horse-racing/52728681

Valencia in Spain cancels plans to move onto it's Phase 2 this weekend, putting it back a week.
    https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/05/20/costa-blancas-valencia-will-not-ask-to-move-to-phase-2-next-monday-due-to-prudence-and-responsibility/

It raises the question of whether it's better to move fast and have to roll-back with the psychological negatives that brings, or move very slowly and hopefully escalate.

• Advertisement

It’s like people have completely forgotten how devastating the last recession was. I was 15 when it happened and I remember. No excuse for others

I was about 10 or 11 when **** last hit the fan this badly. It was terrifying as a child hearing about all the job losses on the news and prime time. I'd have to assume that people who don't care are either ignorant or secretly in bill gates will.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ok I'll rephrase it as the minister said, sentiments towards countries can change, the rates at which we can borrow change.

If as a previous poster stated the bond sale doesn't go to plan then what ??

You might be ok with that, I'm not comfortable with it. I'm already part of a generation who are priced out of purchasing our own homes due to the last crisis and the resulting cost of that crisis, sure just throw this one on top of it too. Let's see how many people are ok with the cost of it when it hits their taxes come the next budget.

House prices are hugely informed by availability and demand... people’s demand will temporarily lessen, so will the availability of new and available properties so a stagnation in the market is to be the expected.

Most people in their early 30s and below have spent all of their adult lives in recession/tough times.

I imagine that will go on for several more years at least.

Hope I get a boom at some point in my adult life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

seamus wrote: »

We're still repaying the cost of the previous crisis - we didn't make much of a dent in the €200bn during the recovery and now we're facing into 10's of billions of new borrowing.

You think we'll have paid this back in a 'couple of decades'? - you're dreaming.

We're borrowing against the future productivity of our kids and grandkids. A nice little inheritance to bequeath them alongside the fcuked up environmental issues.

Most people in their early 30s and below have spent all of their adult lives in recession/tough times.

I imagine that will go on for several more years at least.

Hope I get a boom at some point in my adult life.

I'd seriously suggest emigrating if at all possible. Bigger economies like Germany, Canada etc will bounce back quicker than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    If they can social distance in three weeks time IKEA could do it on May 18th

Prob should have less queues with people restricted to 5km as oppossed to 20km on the 8th of June

IKEA and homeware stores was a major panic from the government

Doesn't bode well for the remainder of the plan

In fairness could you imagine the scenes at IKEA if it opened up with hardware stores. It would have meant a huge proportion of people would have gone to IKEA as opposed to going to a hardware store. Now with Ikea being delayed by three weeks means people will go to hardware stores over the next few weeks to get what they can so there won’t be as much of a panic.

If they didn’t do this it would have meant too much traffic to control. It likely would have been closed down. I suspect Ikea will initially have to open by pre booked time slots with x amount of people booking to go in between the hours of 8am - 10am for example.

Or possibly only click and collect. Nothing to do with spread of infection, more to to with managing the huge volume of people id imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

frillyleaf wrote: »
    In fairness could you imagine the scenes at IKEA if it opened up with hardware stores. It would have meant a huge proportion of people would have gone to IKEA as opposed to going to a hardware store. Now with Ikea being delayed by three weeks means people will go to hardware stores over the next few weeks to get what they can so there won’t be as much of a panic.

If they didn’t do this it would have meant too much traffic to control. It likely would have been closed down. I suspect Ikea will initially have to open by pre booked time slots with x amount of people booking to go in between the hours of 8am - 10am for example.

Or possibly only click and collect. Nothing to do with spread of infection, more to to with managing the huge volume of people id imagine!

Let's face it. It's lockdowner revenge, because they're bloody Swedish!

Great to see. No one hurting anyone else in their cars

• Registered Users Posts: 29,169 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's something up with Twitter - can't get the website, and pics or videos won't load on the app.

But I get the gist of it.

FFS :rolleyes: :mad:

We are SO predictable - and people wonder why they're terrified of opening up the lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

frillyleaf wrote: »

Only thing they achieved was three more weeks of pent up demand and now more people will be able to travel legally to IKEA

IKEA wouldn't have been the chaos you think it would have been

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There's something up with Twitter - can't get the website, and pics or videos won't load on the app.

But I get the gist of it.

FFS :rolleyes: :mad:

We are SO predictable - and people wonder why they're terrified of opening up the lockdown?

People want to go to an open restaurant

Shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'd seriously suggest emigrating if at all possible. Bigger economies like Germany, Canada etc will bounce back quicker than Ireland.

We just came out of a boom again. The booms are getting very different, if you are highly qualifed or a good trade skill you will see a boom after every recession.
    For example Accountancy and IT boomed for the last 6 years, still getting plenty of emails for jobs now in the crisis.

Germany offers you better buck for your money if your going down the family route. Ireland doesn't offer anything to a family sadly.

Only thing they achieved was three more weeks of pent up demand and now more people will be able to travel legally to IKEA

IKEA wouldn't have been the chaos you think it would have been

Problem is we don't need to rush to Ikea. Order online or use amazon.

Everything can be ordered online, not sure why we have to queue outside shops

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Smyths toy store are very organised . Click and collect only . You get a text to say its ready , a small queue with markers on the ground . They have a table and counter at the door and a girl behind the screen , show your e mail or text on the phone and the order is placed on the table . No receipt at the door it is send by e mail
    Two pools and a pump got so easily and quickly . Fair play to all business who are organising themselves and getting on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Visitors from the US and Canada made up 2.1 of our 9.9 million visitors in 2017 so they're a big chunk of our market to piss off.

And of that 2.1 million visitors what % will we definitely not see this year regardless of what happens? 80/90%???

The US tourist market is a write off this year unfortunately, allowing the small remainder to travel cannot be worth the risk, and could be at the detriment of the closer tourism markets.

A second wave and second lockdown eliminates the larges tourist market that Ireland has, itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,580 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Shocker
    I think it's a stretch to call McDonald's a restaurant....
    I think it's more likely people are bored and just want something to do, it been well publicised some are drive thrus are re-opening in Dublin.

Along the lines of ...sure we will go for a drive to get ice cream in Mc Donald's?

This is the greatest load of sh1te if they plan on bringing this in. It'll not just kill hospitality but a barrier to every other business across the country. Serious clarity needed

https://twitter.com/adriancummins/status/1263076589044195329?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

road_high wrote: »
    Why? Because rte said so?

Because there would have been a frenzy in one of the worst hit areas of the country for the virus.

A few more weeks when the new cases are negligible would be much better

I also think the 5k rule wouldn't have been enforced. If it had, most of Dublin City wouldn't be allowed to visit anyway

• Advertisement

Shocker

But most drive thrus were always open except for MCD.
    Just stupid people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement