Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Great to see. No one hurting anyone else in their cars

Ah yes, great to see a load of cars sitting there going nowhere spewing out their toxic fumes. And the clamour of horns beeping, great to hear also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

But most drive thrus were always open except for MCD.
    Just stupid people

People like McDonalds shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 32,580 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

But most drive thrus were always open except for MCD.
    Just stupid people
    I don't think they were, pretty sure KFC was closed, not sure about Burger King.

But I agree.

You can barely classify that muck as food

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

This is the greatest load of sh1te if they plan on bringing this in. It'll not just kill hospitality but a barrier to every other business across the country. Serious clarity needed

https://twitter.com/adriancummins/status/1263076589044195329?s=19

Doesn't mention hospitality anywhere. Sure you are allowed in to your offices now if you want, if you can't work from home.

Teachers are back in the schools, my kids teachers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭prunudo

This is the greatest load of sh1te if they plan on bringing this in. It'll not just kill hospitality but a barrier to every other business across the country. Serious clarity needed

They've lost the run of themselves, what about all the supermarket staff who have been doing 10 hr shifts making sure everyone has got food on the table the last 10 weeks. Are they dropping dead.
    Someone needs to call them out on this scaremongering and over hyping this virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah sure, claims of accuracy are made by themselves.

The test developed by HiberGene works best for patients with moderate or high viral load – those who have been displaying symptoms for some days.

The company is working with partners in Queen’s University Belfast, Genoa in Italy and China to examine its efficacy in other patient groups – particularly those who are not yet showing any symptoms associated with the virus.

I suppose it be useful for confirming cause of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

At least as things open up and people are back at work those types of queues should die down.

I'm surprised the amount of people with cash to spend in McDonalds as all I'm hearing is nobody has any cash as they can't live on 350 a week.

Those still working from home you'd expect would not be in a queue at 12pm since they are working.

I'm looking forward to lockdown restrictions being relaxed but when I see the queues of cars I'm delighted that the actual restaurant isn't open as it would be chaos and a sure fire way to spread the virus again. I hope most get the novelty out of their system by going via car and when the restaurant does open it will be safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

People like McDonalds shocker

Indeed. Always find it shocking that people actually enjoy eating that stuff.

gmisk wrote: »
    I don't think they were, pretty sure KFC was closed, not sure about Burger King.

But I agree.

You can barely classify that muck as food

KFC and Burger King drive were open in Liffey Valley.
    Not proud I know this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Dovies wrote: »
    Had this conversation the other night. Now I love my travel and always have a suitcase ready to go :)
    But I definitely wouldn't be looking at the US for the rest of the year. The decisions being made are far too random and unpredictable. Now Rory has pi**ed of DT you could end up stuck in some backward town in Texas!

I like travel as well, have seen a lot of the US and there are plenty of places in the US I would like to see, New Orleans, San Diego, San Fran, even before this Covid thing I had decided not to travel there next time I’m going anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

At least 50 cars queueing at McDonald's Artane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Is this restriction in other countries??

Or is it someone in the HSA trying to stay relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Couple of negative 'relaxation of restriction' stories from abroad today.
    France rolling back on the opening of racecourses (horses) a week after they re-opened.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/horse-racing/52728681

Valencia in Spain cancels plans to move onto it's Phase 2 this weekend, putting it back a week.
    https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/05/20/costa-blancas-valencia-will-not-ask-to-move-to-phase-2-next-monday-due-to-prudence-and-responsibility/

It raises the question of whether it's better to move fast and have to roll-back with the psychological negatives that brings, or move very slowly and hopefully escalate.

Not really.

These are countries that have the wherewithall to actually recognise that the country is made up of different areas unlike our own who think someone walking from Stephens Green to UCD and back coming in contact with hundreds and hundreds of people is the same as walking 5km in the backarse of Leitrim where you will literally be lucky to meet anyone other than one fella who might pass you on a tractor.

France closed down racecourses in areas where the numbers werent good again, no issue at all with that, its prudent.

We have areas much the same hot spots and regions with little issues but of course it would take imagination to think of treating them differently.

seamus wrote: »
    That's not how it works. Credit lines at an international level don't "dry up".
    Even when the entire planet has been on fire because everyone is at war with one another, credit lines have been available.

We'll be repaying the cost of this crisis for a decade or two, and I'm OK with that.

Correct - and the underlying source of this credit are central banks simply creating money - all that is needed is confidence in the market that it will be repaid, and the productive capacity in the economy to absorb the liquidity without inflation

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I'd seriously suggest emigrating if at all possible. Bigger economies like Germany, Canada etc will bounce back quicker than Ireland.
    I remember people saying this in 2009 as well. There was no end of people back then willing to bet the farm that the Irish would be eating bread and water for the next two decades.

This is an exceptional event, there's fvck all really we can do about the fact that we went into this with huge national debt.

If we don't borrow money to carry us through, then we're going to have to dump hundreds of thousands of people into actual poverty virtually overnight. This will kick off social and legal problems that will persist for decades.

Why people think that's the preferred option is beyond me. National debt is less of a concern, it spreads the burden over multiples of decades in a way that it barely impacts the life of the individual.

Like I say, the fact that we went into this with a huge debt is beyond our control. If we would have borrowed because we had no debt, then we should borrow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Doesn't mention hospitality anywhere. Sure you are allowed in to your offices now if you want, if you can't work from home.

Teachers are back in the schools, my kids teachers are.

I said all business not just hospitality. Its current interpretation looks like you cant work with someone for more than 2 hours

I remember people saying this in 2009 as well. There was no end of people back then willing to bet the farm that the Irish would be eating bread and water for the next two decades.

This is an exceptional event, there's fvck all really we can do about the fact that we went into this with huge national debt.

If we don't borrow money to carry us through, then we're going to have to dump hundreds of thousands of people into actual poverty virtually overnight. This will kick off social and legal problems that will persist for decades.

Why people think that's the preferred option is beyond me. National debt is less of a concern, it spreads the burden over multiples of decades in a way that it barely impacts the life of the individual.

Like I say, the fact that we went into this with a huge debt is beyond our control. If we would have borrowed because we had no debt, then we should borrow now.

All modern economic thinking tells you to borrow and spend in a crisis and save during good times.

I said all business not just hospitality. Its current interpretation looks like you cant work with someone for more than 2 hours

I believe that when i see it

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There's something up with Twitter - can't get the website, and pics or videos won't load on the app.

But I get the gist of it.

FFS :rolleyes: :mad:

We are SO predictable - and people wonder why they're terrified of opening up the lockdown?

Yes, you can see why it they are nervous opening up lockdown with scenes like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yes its ridiculous that 50 cars are queuing for McDonald's drive through

But is it actually harming anyone? No. Country has gone a bit hysterical tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

What was all the kerfuffle about at the turn of the decade if it barely impacts the life of the individual.

* I agree, that borrowing is the obvious way out of it, but I'm not sure it will only "barely impact" the life of the individual. Surely at some point we have to start paying some of this back as in the capital sum or if 2008 occurs again and interest rates rise, we will be crippled.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

the kelt wrote: »
    Not really.

These are countries that have the wherewithall to actually recognise that the country is made up of different areas unlike our own who think someone walking from Stephens Green to UCD and back coming in contact with hundreds and hundreds of people is the same as walking 5km in the backarse of Leitrim where you will literally be lucky to meet anyone other than one fella who might pass you on a tractor.

France closed down racecourses in areas where the numbers werent good again, no issue at all with that, its prudent.

We have areas much the same hot spots and regions with little issues but of course it would take imagination to think of treating them differently.

Yes absolutely - it’s past time we started a targeted approach to suppressing infections. Hotspots, care homes, points of entry to country.

Can’t help but think the crowds out to McDonalds are a pushback response. Understandable people would welcome some normality, especially with young kids - must be a treat for little ones having being denied such a lot for weeks.

Surely no danger in your car going for drive-through meal. No need for judgement on people’s food choices, or wonderment at how people are able to afford it.

It’s uncomfortable that some have been enjoying the quiet roads so much that it influences thinking on having our government create laws and give Gardai unprecedented powers for an extended length of time at great cost.

Just had a google to see when Dr. Nolan had first announced that transmission in the general population was zero, it was 24th April, almost four weeks ago.

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Yes, you can see why it they are nervous opening up lockdown with scenes like this!

What harm are they doing sitting alone or as a family unit in a car?
    People need to look after themselves and stop moaning about what everyone else is doing.

The sad reality though is that very few irish people really felt the recovery from the last recession. We are still paying taxes and USC. Rents are through the roof. Buying a house is a very difficult task. Its not quite bread + water but people weren't happy. The huge SF vote shows how unhappy the people are.

I don't think anyone on here thinks we shouldn't borrow. Obviously its better to borrow than to put people in poverty.

But I don't think we'd need to borrow even half as much if we came out of lockdown in a reasonable time frame. We've waited until the disease is gone from the community to even move into phase 1 of a 3 month plan. A 3 month plan that still won't have us fully back up and running.

As well as the money that we borrow, we've already also spent the money that was put aside to help us with a hard brexit. So we could potentially end up needing to borrow even more to deal with the economic impact of that. But sure 1 step at a time I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People and politicians can always find good reasons to borrow. It puts off having to actually make any tough decisions.

What will will do when the next crisis hits (hello Brexit!) - let me guess, borrow?

What about the one after that and the one after that?

I mean, that might all be fine if we took money out of the economy during the boom times and used it to service debt but there is no political appetite to ever do that.

Saddling future generations with our debt burdens is not the answer just because we're hooked on credit we can't be arsed living within our means.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I believe that when i see it

Likewise, its utter nonsense if it's what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Only thing they achieved was three more weeks of pent up demand and now more people will be able to travel legally to IKEA

IKEA wouldn't have been the chaos you think it would have been

Look at the queues for mc Donald’s, do you really think Ikea would not have been difficult for traffic management? The smaller hardware stores that are struggling throughout towns will hopefully benefit by people shopping more local as opposed to everyone flocking to Ikea over the next few weeks.

I don’t think that’s true. I think if someone test positive for the virus, any colleague they may have spent 2 hours with in the same room will be tested as a contact. I think that’s grand. As long as they get the test back quick enough to get back to work.

It doesn’t mean you can’t work in the same room as anyone else for more than 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Look at the queues for mc Donald’s, do you really think Ikea would not have been difficult for traffic management? The smaller hardware stores that are struggling throughout towns will hopefully benefit by people shopping more local as opposed to everyone flocking to Ikea over the next few weeks.

Well by your rationale, some of those queuing outside woodies and b&q would instead have gone to ikea. Open up homestore and others too, and you have an even bigger spread of shoppers. Less traffic issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well people are more likely to go to Ikea for homeware which the local hardware store won't cover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement