Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I don’t think that’s true. I think if someone test positive for the virus, any colleague they may have spent 2 hours with in the same room will be tested as a contact. I think that’s grand. As long as they get the test back quick enough to get back to work.

It doesn’t mean you can’t work in the same room as anyone else for more than 2 hours.

Hence clarity needed, especially as the courts today are limiting to 2hr sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

All modern economic thinking tells you to borrow and spend in a crisis and save during good times.

Okay but our savings didnt even last social welfare payments until June this year without more borrowings. What have we saved over the last 8 years? 5 of those years GDP grew 8 - 10% per year... a rainy day fund with 1.5bn??

Reality is, from 2008 recession, a public servant will pay 58-62% effective tax on income earned above 37,500...... (10% pension levy for income over 30k and obv 40% for income over 37.5k and then our friends USC and PRSI start to contribute 3-4% each)

We cant tax our workers much further now (unless you discriminate against private sector), we cant increase our corporation tax rate or tons of companies will likely re consider their plans and our social welfare spending has just increased dramatically for the LONG TERM because of OUR actions of being overprotective for 5 months.

We will be very lucky avoiding asking IMF for a bit of help in the next 2-3 years.

We are literally leaving only 1 choice on how to deal with our debt and thats get more debt... any suggestions on repayment strategy much welcomed. Only viable strategy is to lift restrictions much quicker than currently planned or that 30bn deficit could get to 40bn before we know it

People and politicians can always find good reasons to borrow. It puts off having to actually make any tough decisions.

What will will do when the next crisis hits (hello Brexit!) - let me guess, borrow?

What about the one after that and the one after that?

I mean, that might all be fine if we took money out of the economy during the boom times and used it to service debt but there is no political appetite to ever do that.

Saddling future generations with our debt burdens is not the answer just because we're hooked on credit we can't be arsed living within our means.

Borrowing from the future is the most efficient way to finance major spending. In general, over a prolonged time period, interest rates will be lower than a combination of growth and inflation. As long as you can repay the interest, you should in the long term be able to continue to re-finance the loan, and future generations can just push it forward again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Hence clarity needed, especially as the courts today are limiting to 2hr sessions

Yeah true. Can’t see many employers abiding the rule even if it existed. If it’s true then it’s a ridiculously over cautious ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

What harm are they doing sitting alone or as a family unit in a car?
    People need to look after themselves and stop moaning about what everyone else is doing.

There is nothing wrong with people queuing up for something they want. If that’s what they want to do of course they can. My point was the traffic and resources it would take to control these scenarios if they were all across the country. Some shops needed to be closed purely from traffic control point of view over the last few weeks as the congestion they were causing was too dense in an area that couldn’t manage the traffic. This isn’t applicable to the above as its on a dual carriageway but if this was happening in smaller towns front it would be hard to manage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

frillyleaf wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with people queuing up for something they want. If that’s what they want to do of course they can. My point was the traffic and resources it would take to control these scenarios if they were all across the country. Some shops needed to be closed purely from traffic control point of view over the last few weeks as the congestion they were causing was too dense in an area that couldn’t manage the traffic. This isn’t applicable to the above as its on a dual carriageway but if this was happening in smaller towns front it would be hard to manage

Which shops did they close over the last few weeks for traffic congestion? Just out of interest - hadn’t come across anything about that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

frillyleaf wrote: »

The novelty will wear off in a few days and this won’t be an issue. People get McDonald’s as a treat and have probably felt deprived of it after 8 weeks (I think?) so they want to get is ASAP. You wouldn’t catch me in the queue but it’s inevitable that this will happen as restrictions ease. It won’t last that long

• Registered Users Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

evidence from places like Czechia and similar is that reversing the lockdown still meant their curves dropping, which would question the logic of the lockdown in the fist place if opposite things happen at the same point. The case for speeding things up is mounting

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

AdamD wrote: »
    Yes its ridiculous that 50 cars are queuing for McDonald's drive through

But is it actually harming anyone? No. Country has gone a bit hysterical tbh

Has that started today? Oh that will have the curtain twitchers in a right flap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

silverharp wrote: »
    evidence from places like Czechia and similar is that reversing the lockdown still meant their curves dropping, which would question the logic of the lockdown in the fist place if opposite things happen at the same point. The case for speeding things up is mounting

Just to point out - factual evidence. Not "models" or "estimates".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For the record, Czech republic is another country that introduced mandatory mask wearing along with easing other restrictions. Evidence seems to be that as a policy, it makes a huge difference.

Our half arsed approach is going to bite us in the ass when we go to re-open imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AdamD wrote: »
    Yes its ridiculous that 50 cars are queuing for McDonald's drive through

But is it actually harming anyone? No. Country has gone a bit hysterical tbh

Aside from respiratory damage from the pollution. But no-one gets hysterical about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Mcdonalds back open in dublin and they go absolutely mental, hopefully the rest of Ireland wont be as embarrassing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

gourcuff wrote: »
    Mcdonalds back open in dublin and they go absolutely mental, hopefully the rest of Ireland wont be as embarrassing

What are they doing? Queuing up waiting for their food while social distancing in their cars, same has been happening in stores all over Ireland this weeks, drive tru and people actually standing outside believe it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Macdonald's and their ilk will probably kill more people in the long run than covid19 ever will.

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Stark wrote: »
    Aside from respiratory damage from the pollution. But no-one gets hysterical about that.

If you want changes to society with regards to a healthier environment there’s no problem, most reasonable people do.

Piggybacking on punitive restrictions however is disgraceful opportunism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

What are they doing? Queuing up waiting for their food while social distancing in their cars, same has been happening in stores all over Ireland this weeks, drive tru and people actually standing outside believe it or not

Yeah, drive thru is absolutely perfect to ensure there is no possibility of social distancing failing. Far safer than wandering up and down super market aisles or walking past someone on a footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

McDonald's in that video looks no different to people queuing hours for a box of krispy kreme donuts to post a picture of them on their social media. There was no virus then - just the way things are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I like a Big Mac every so often.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I like a Big Mac every so often.

I bet you do big boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

For the record, Czech republic is another country that introduced mandatory mask wearing along with easing other restrictions. Evidence seems to be that as a policy, it makes a huge difference.

Our half arsed approach is going to bite us in the ass when we go to re-open imo.

Just to add to this but for Denmark where there isn't mask wearing as a requirement and social distancing is now 1 meter, they've basically fully reopened, hospitality opened up on Monday.

But anyway seeing as they've been opening up for the last few weeks. Today they reported 73 new cases and 3 deaths.

On our current trajectory we're on a very similar footing but they're essentially in our phase 5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The irony of people scrambling for their MIckey D's with the link between obesity levels and Covid-19 fatalities.

In principle I don't care if people want to queue up for that swill, but it provides the likes of Holohan and Govt. with more ammunition in their on-going campaign of treating the Irish public like naughty children.

I went out for a half hour walk at lunch and have some observations from the walk; a lot of traffic on the road, far more than last week; work vans in driveways of plenty of homes, people drinking coffee outside of Insomnia; Subway open again for takeaway; people swimming in the sea and a mechanics quite busy. It's hard to actually notice what else is needed on the face if it for a "normality" to return.

The irony of people scrambling for their MIckey D's with the link between obesity levels and Covid-19 fatalities.

In principle I don't care if people want to queue up for that swill, but it provides the likes of Holohan and Govt. with more ammunition in their on-going campaign of treating the Irish public like naughty children.

What are you smoking?

So now everyone who eats McDonalds is obese?

Can kids not be treated to a McDonalds every now and then? You realise you can get fruit packs in McDonalds instead of chips?

Do you feel the same about every takeaway open in Ireland?

The evidence is that masks and social distancing works, there is also evidence social distancing only worked - Denmark, so probably too early to conclude one way or another. Masks certainly cant make things worse however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

You realise you can get fruit packs in McDonalds instead of chips?
    If I was a kid and my parents brought me to McDonalds and gave me fruit I would have flipped the ****in lid. Well not really, my pudgy little hands would have tired too easily, but the sentiment would have been there.

Hrududu wrote: »
    If I was a kid and my parents brought me to McDonalds and gave me fruit I would have flipped the ****in lid. Well not really, my pudgy little hands would have tired too easily, but the sentiment would have been there.

Visit a McDonalds, plenty of people(kids) included be eating the fruit packs. They wouldn't sell them otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Visit a McDonalds, plenty of people(kids) included be eating the fruit packs. They wouldn't sell them otherwise

They aren't selling them due to the demand, it was purely for PR reasons when they were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Correct - and the underlying source of this credit are central banks simply creating money - all that is needed is confidence in the market that it will be repaid, and the productive capacity in the economy to absorb the liquidity without inflation

For some reason a lot of people seem to think that countries borrowing from the ECB or the IMF works in the same way as an individual borrowing from a credit union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Lab and workshop layout in schools and colleges be significantly changed. Only 20% of current students per area and no pairing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement