Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Hurrache wrote: »
    They aren't selling them due to the demand, it was purely for PR reasons when they were introduced.

Have you McDonalds figures for the sales on them? They are making a large amount on them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I am unsure how to feel about below given i am so pro economic

"FOUR OUT OF 10 Dublin pubs are planning to re-open ‘as restaurants’ on 29 June, according to a new survey.

According to the Licensed Vintners Association (LVA), more than four in 10 pubs in Dublin will open earlier than anticipated under the government’s Covid-19 roadmap.

The survey of 300 pubs, carried out between 18 and 19 May, found that 44% would re-open on 29 June alongside restaurants and cafes"

It seems that 10th of August kind of gets closer to 29th of June without any politicians involved or indeed our nagging here. This is great to see. Gonna order my onion rings and 5 pints

https://www.thejournal.ie/pint-dublin-restaurants-june-august-pubs-bars-5103688-May2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

'Food is a major aspect of their business' - which in a lot of cases is true. Bet Harry Byrne is spitting feathers seeing as the only food served there is "ready salted or dry roasted" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

If they open as restaurants, they will either have to serve food until closing time or close at 9pm

I am unsure how to feel about below given i am so pro economic

"FOUR OUT OF 10 Dublin pubs are planning to re-open ‘as restaurants’ on 29 June, according to a new survey.

According to the Licensed Vintners Association (LVA), more than four in 10 pubs in Dublin will open earlier than anticipated under the government’s Covid-19 roadmap.

The survey of 300 pubs, carried out between 18 and 19 May, found that 44% would re-open on 29 June alongside restaurants and cafes"

It seems that 10th of August kind of gets closer to 29th of June without any politicians involved or indeed our nagging here. This is great to see. Gonna order my onion rings and 5 pints

https://www.thejournal.ie/pint-dublin-restaurants-june-august-pubs-bars-5103688-May2020/

It would probably be safer to reopen pubs. Otherwise everyone will hit restaurants for a 1 course meal and 7 rounds of drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

It would probably be safer to reopen pubs. Otherwise everyone will hit restaurants for a 1 course meal and 7 rounds of drinks.

Or restaurants start doing 'sittings'. 6-8pm and 8.30pm - 10.30pm and close.
    Hate restaurants like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Plans to open up restaurants, cafes and cinemas from June 1 can now go ahead as planned, prime minister Mark Rutte told reporters on Tuesday evening, following a meeting with health experts and other crisis team advisors.

Read more at DutchNews.nl:

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/05/dutch-press-ahead-with-easing-covid-19-rules-and-ramping-up-testing/

Everywhere else seems to be opening up before us.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing as we can see how it works out. Hopefully we can move forward our dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Plans to open up restaurants, cafes and cinemas from June 1 can now go ahead as planned, prime minister Mark Rutte told reporters on Tuesday evening, following a meeting with health experts and other crisis team advisors.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/05/dutch-press-ahead-with-easing-covid-19-rules-and-ramping-up-testing/

Maybe it's not such a bad thing as we can see how it works out. Hopefully we can move forward our dates.

They're opening all over europe, Spain and Italy worst hit and now open. Denmark, Germany and Austria all open.

Our hospitality sector will be the last in Europe to open up simply due to this slow dragging opening.

Ideally I'd like to see phase 2 and 3 moved into the same phase and then potentially 4 &5 in July. A month earlier than planned

Fully support the notion of seeing how others get on but it does get painful when you consider Denmark opened its primary schools on 14th of April. Its been 5 weeks now nearly, and you know, they are doing fine. 5 weeks... Barbers 21st of April and again they are doing fine.

"Coronavirus: How Denmark fared on first days of reopened schools
    Mixed feelings in first European nation to reopen primary schools and kindergartens
    Fri, Apr 17, 2020, 10:18"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/coronavirus-how-denmark-fared-on-first-days-of-reopened-schools-1.4231385

It can get upsetting looking at other countries purely because of time difference you might note between us and them (looking at 2, 3 months worth according to our plan). We can look at other countries for a week, 2 weeks okay 3 weeks but anything after this is just getting depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Ideally I'd like to see phase 2 and 3 moved into the same phase and then potentially 4 &5 in July. A month earlier than planned

Even that is months behind those other countries you mentioned.

We should really be in 2 or 3 now, and 4 and 5 should be done by June. Thats not even 'ambitious', simply following behind the rest of europe by a couple of weeks.

Still haven't seen any reason why we should be months and months different.

It's utterly depressing to think according to the plan, we're only half way since the start of restrictions.

• Advertisement

Even that is months behind those other countries you mentioned.

We should really be in 2 or 3 now, and 4 and 5 should be done by June. Thats not even 'ambitious', simply following behind the rest of europe by a couple of weeks.

Still haven't seen any reason why we should be months and months different.

It's utterly depressing to think according to the plan, we're only half way since the start of restrictions.

Oh yeah its still months behind everywhere else. But given how ultra conservative they seem to be with our plan I cant see them being that ambitious. At best 4&5 in July I think.

Ideally 2&3 8th June and 3 weeks later 4&5

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Oh yeah its still months behind everywhere else. But given how ultra conservative they seem to be with our plan I cant see them being that ambitious. At best 4&5 in July I think.

Ideally 2&3 8th June and 3 weeks later 4&5

It's sad that I have zero confidence we'll see any movement forward in any of the plan :(

It's sad that I have zero confidence we'll see any movement forward in any of the plan :(

I think it wont depend as much on new cases as it will on funds available to the government. if bond issuance doesnt go well and if EU recovery fund is miles away from being realised they may just start opening things very quickly and doing a salvage job while simultaneously not testing as many people to avoid any surges or spikes or bad news.

I think the very reason they are hesitant with covid19 350 eur a week extension announcement and the level of the payments does give strong indication that they arent sure coffers have as much as they did in late Feb/early March.

Eventually, and unfortunately we wont see/hear this, Tony H will be told "mate we dont even have money to pay nurses, forget your risk assessments and models"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

I think keep your expectations low. That statement yesterday from our business Minister was quite extraordinary, and now we have this two hour yoke. We are becoming a nanny anti-business State.

It will soon start to look like the 1930’s with the blue shirts and Dev’s isolationist policy. I hope to god we are not waiting too long for a Lemass or Whitaker to whip things into shape.

Greece reopening for tourists, no quarantine.

https://twitter.com/STcom/status/1263146836598161409?s=19[\url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Greece reopening for tourists, no quarantine.

https://twitter.com/STcom/status/1263146836598161409?s=19[\url]

Well done to the Greeks hope to get out there over the summer and support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I think Greece really locked down before us and their lockdown was pretty damn strick.

And the numbers are way lower than us.
    They have had less than 200 dead and less than 3,000 confirmed cases.

Tourism is the only game in town for lots of them.
    Nearly 20% of the economy is linked to tourism and most of the islands are dead without it.

They don't have much of a choice.

Also please note they don't want the types of tourists they normally get in Malia and Kavos, but more upmarket ones.

"Ideally we want more high-end tourists where we can actually respect social distancing," Prime Minister Mitsotakis told CNN.

So not a bunch of lads and lassies pi**ed out of their heads sucking the gob off each other.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

road_high wrote: »
    Like those reckless Danes and Germans are?
    The only ones still in prison are the Irish, sadly. And unfortunately I’m stuck here

Overreact much? Unless your posting from Mountjoy the hysteria is a sight to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

jmayo wrote: »
    I think Greece really locked down before us and their lockdown was pretty damn strick.

And the numbers are way lower than us.
    They have had less than 200 dead and less than 3,000 confirmed cases.

Tourism is the only game in town for lots of them.
    Nearly 20% of the economy is linked to tourism and most of the islands are dead without it.

They don't have much of a choice.

Also please note they don't want the types of tourists they normally get in Malia and Kavos, but more upmarket ones.

"Ideally we want more high-end tourists where we can actually respect social distancing," Prime Minister Mitsotakis told CNN.

So not a bunch of lads and lassies pi**ed out of their heads sucking the gob off each other.

Been to Greece and the islands many tines love it there and the Greeks are lovely people. Good luck to them and hopefully if Harris “cops on” I’ll be able to visit this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Nutgrove is pure madness. Sitting here in the queue for Mc Donald's because the wife and son want it. Queue is out of the shopping centre down around the corner to Harvey Norman. Normal traffic around the area is like Christmas eve.

Oh no! That’s nice you’ve taken then there though! Let us know how long you had to queue for !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Nutgrove is pure madness. Sitting here in the queue for Mc Donald's because the wife and son want it. Queue is out of the shopping centre down around the corner to Harvey Norman. Normal traffic around the area is like Christmas eve.

People have some obsession with fast food. Both Krispy Kreme in Blanchardstown and Dominoes in Tallaght were their most profitable stores globally.

The queues for McDonald's Maynooth drive through were out the gate and down the road a couple of days before the lockdown.

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    People have some obsession with fast food. Both Krispy Kreme in Blanchardstown and Dominoes in Tallaght were their most profitable stores globally.

The queues for McDonald's Maynooth drive through were out the gate and down the road a couple of days before the lockdown.

Bizarre.

That actually speaks to our lack of options in fast food. In other countries like the UK and US there’s far more competition in that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well that’s thanks to the lockdown. I know McDonald’s didn’t have to close technically but the pressure from the moral brigade was enormous.
    The longer you shut everything the greater the pent up demand and the greater likelihood of this happening.

Bizarre.

As is their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Rather spend my money here as it'll be sorely needed, but think the government seem to feel tourism can survive here while sitting the summer out.

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Rather spend my money here as it'll be sorely needed, but think the government seem to feel tourism can survive here while sitting the summer out.

The problem being that you’re not allowed spend it here, Tony and co won’t let you...que little snigger from him about it.
    Reckon the airlines will start up soon and be packed with people legging it out of here with their wallets to sane countries. The news from the DofF is fairly dire this evening, looks like they’re going to have to borrow way more and tax revenues are even going to be below what they thiught. So big round of applause for Tony, Nphet, Harris, Donohoe and the whole gallery of bankrupting idiots

Overreact much? Unless your posting from Mountjoy the hysteria is a sight to behold.

The hysteria that allows idiotic “rules” like 5 km travel distances is something to behold alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

A crowd of more than 200 mainly Brazilians reportedly dispersed by Gardai out on Sutton beach in Dublin

Racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The problem being that you’re not allowed spend it here, Tony and co won’t let you...que little snigger from him about it.
    Reckon the airlines will start up soon and be packed with people legging it out of here with their wallets to sane countries. The news from the DofF is fairly dire this evening, looks like they’re going to hadn’t to borrow way more and tax revenues are even going to be below what they thiught. So big round of applause for Tony, Nphet, Harris, Donohoe and the whole gallery of bankrupting idiots

I thought you had stopped getting worked up over this since the lockdown was "over" for most people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Reckon the airlines will start up soon and be packed with people legging it out of here with their wallets to sane countries. The news from the DofF is fairly dire this evening, looks like they’re going to hadn’t to borrow way more and tax revenues are even going to be below what they thiught. So big round of applause for Tony, Nphet, Harris, Donohoe and the whole gallery of bankrupting idiots

I think the tide will turn here in the next 2/3 weeks as some form of sanity returns. Expect to be allowed travel freely mid June and if not I'll be off anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement