Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

road_high wrote: »
    The problem being that you’re not allowed spend it here, Tony and co won’t let you...que little snigger from him about it.
    Reckon the airlines will start up soon and be packed with people legging it out of here with their wallets to sane countries. The news from the DofF is fairly dire this evening, looks like they’re going to hadn’t to borrow way more and tax revenues are even going to be below what they thiught. So big round of applause for Tony, Nphet, Harris, Donohoe and the whole gallery of bankrupting idiots

I think the tide will turn here in the next 2/3 weeks as some form of sanity returns. Expect to be allowed travel freely mid June and if not I'll be off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    People have some obsession with fast food. Both Krispy Kreme in Blanchardstown and Dominoes in Tallaght were their most profitable stores globally.

The queues for McDonald's Maynooth drive through were out the gate and down the road a couple of days before the lockdown.

Bizarre.

On one hand obesity and junk food is incredibly bad but on the other wahey economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I think the tide will turn here in the next 2/3 weeks as some form of sanity returns. Expect to be allowed travel freely mid June and if not I'll be off anyway.

Yea this is the first week since it really switched to ending rather than the “stop killing old people” stuff we’d been fed for over two months now.
    The financial damage is also becoming more apparent, few frighteners going on in government over that no doubt. Because the choices are going to stark and I would say apoplectic if they have to cut welfare and pay- which would be inevitable on some of the figures.
    The #stayathome clapping brigade will be up in arms as the real workings of the world most certainly aren’t second nature

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Walking around D6 now and most people just getting on with their lives. They'll struggle to keep any semblance of a lockdown for much longer

People said the same about May 5th!

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Walking around D6 now and most people just getting on with their lives. They'll struggle to keep any semblance of a lockdown for much longer

Have you called the Gardai?

Why would I?

I've nothing against people trying to stay sane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

We need to recreate tianmen square on O'Connell street. That'll learn em.

Why would I?

I've nothing against people trying to stay sane

They might touch off eachother and cause a deadly second wave. You've a moral duty here.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    We need to recreate tianmen square on O'Connell street. That'll learn em.

I was thinking more of random executions on the side of the street. Would be more effective

• Advertisement

I was thinking more of random executions on the side of the street. Would be more effective

Welcome back. You were always top quality in these and this thread was getting stale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Will we ship their entire families off to a socially distanced gulag on the blaskets?

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Will we ship their entire families off to a socially distanced gulag on the blaskets?

Within 5 km of home. Or would that be an essential journey? Tony could let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

pjohnson wrote: »
    People said the same about May 5th!

And we've learned a huge amount since then. Economically and medically so people much better able to judge for themselves. Especially in tourist affected areas where the acorns they store over the summer get them through the winter.

Sure, be careful, distance and hygiene etc but life has to go on with some semblance of normality. Very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

What are the current chances of getting abroad for the summer? I really want to go as Ireland wants to remain locked up in a cage of misery until Autumn...if I book a Ryanair flight for July...am I allowed travel to the airport to go? (Airport is more than 20km). I don't mind quarantining when I return.

What are the current chances of getting abroad for the summer? I really want to go as Ireland wants to remain locked up in a cage of misery until Autumn...if I book a Ryanair flight for July...am I allowed travel to the airport to go? (Airport is more than 20km). I don't mind quarantining when I return.

Personally just going to wait and see. It’s still only May and ive tons of annual leave to take yet. Even if it pans out to September for me I can cope. Granted I know it’s harder for parents with kids at school age to plan.
    The economy will be in such a bad way by then I’m confident things will be up and running because they will have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

You have a legal right to leave the country. No1 has any right to ask where or why you are flying. 100% can and should go. 5km and 20km is for travel within country

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So I was finally able to get my hair cut today here in Germany after a two and a half week wait for an appointment. No fuss and no worries on my side.

Has to be a phone appointment, mandatory to wear a mask for both yourself and the hairdresser, my hairdresser has advised in mandatory hair wash and hand wash, seat handles are sanitised after each customer and must pay with card.

It’s the new normal as such and I didn’t have any issues at all. Can imagine it would be much more annoying for women given how long some of their appointments are but it was grand for me.

I hope the numbers keep falling in ireland and they can start to quicken the easing of lockdown. With the correct shop layouts and equipment, many businesses should be open.

Was in Ikea aswell today and it’s very well organised. No crowding at all and all very civilised.

Hope Ireland gets opening soon so I can get home for a visit to my elderly father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So I was finally able to get my hair cut today here in Germany after a two and a half week wait for an appointment. No fuss and no worries on my side.

Has to be a phone appointment, mandatory to wear a mask for both yourself and the hairdresser, my hairdresser has advised in mandatory hair wash and hand wash, seat handles are sanitised after each customer and must pay with card.

It’s the new normal as such and I didn’t have any issues at all. Can imagine it would be much more annoying for women given how long some of their appointments are but it was grand for me.

I hope the numbers keep falling in ireland and they can start to quicken the easing of lockdown. With the correct shop layouts and equipment, many businesses should be open.

Was in Ikea aswell today and it’s very well organised. No crowding at all and all very civilised.

Hope Ireland gets opening soon so I can get home for a visit to my elderly father.

I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Whilst the rest of the world will be getting on with life as well as possible looking at how our crowd are operating we will be catapulting slices of turkey and ham through the windows of our elderly parents on December 25th whilst there’s a panic buy and rush on the 2m long socially distance sanitised Christmas crackers.

Meanwhile the curtain twitchers will be on standby to shoot any carol singers on site who may be spreading hope and joy Outside their 5k zones whilst Santa Claus gets gets quarantine for trying to enter Irish air space.

Tony and the NPHET’s are at number 1 in the charts with their hit “it’ll be lonely this Christmas on our Covid wards” and promise us if we can get to 20 weeks without anyone coughing we may be able to move to phase 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

the kelt wrote: »

Whilst the rest of the world will be getting on with life as well as possible looking at how our crowd are operating we will be catapulting slices of turkey and ham through the windows of our elderly parents on December 25th whilst there’s a panic buy and rush on the 2m long socially distance sanitised Christmas crackers.

Meanwhile the curtain twitchers will be on standby to shoot any carol singers on site who may be spreading hope and joy Outside their 5k zones whilst Santa Claus gets gets quarantine for trying to enter Irish air space.

Tony and the NPHET’s are at number 1 in the charts with their hit “it’ll be lonely this Christmas on our Covid wards” and promise us if we can get to 20 weeks without anyone coughing we may be able to move to phase 5!

I have said it before - forget about Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I want the restrictions to end as quickly as anyone else, but I ultimately would want the decision to be made on the basis of evidence and strong predictive assessments.

A lot of the comments here are giving reasons of "other countries are opening quicker". That's all well and good, but that doesn't mean it's the right decision.

They could very well be making the right calls, but can someone tell me why? What are the parameters that you are basing it on? It can't be on the R0 value as most countries aren't long enough into their "relaxation periods".

This is not to goad anyone into an argument thinking that I want to stay in lockdown, I genuinely would like an impartial, factual view of why relaxing restrictions quicker is better than maintaining the current course.

VonLuck wrote: »
    I want the restrictions to end as quickly as anyone else, but I ultimately would want the decision to be made on the basis of evidence and strong predictive assessments.

A lot of the comments here are giving reasons of "other countries are opening quicker". That's all well and good, but that doesn't mean it's the right decision.

They could very well be making the right calls, but can someone tell me why? What are the parameters that you are basing it on? It can't be on the R0 value as most countries aren't long enough into their "relaxation periods".

This is not to goad anyone into an argument thinking that I want to stay in lockdown, I genuinely would like an impartial, factual view of why relaxing restrictions quicker is better than maintaining the current course.
    Because we're going to have to open it anyway and in the mean time we're battering public finances, mental health and even in some cases physical health where screenings etc. aren't happening.

We plan to have virtually everything open in August, what do the government expect to change by opening slower? There will still be a mad rush for every single thing on the list that people are waiting to open.

The main justification is to wait and see how our caseload is effected by the gradual reopening, which makes sense. But we should know in 3 or 4 weeks whether we can reopen, stretching it out until August seems ridiculous.

Worth noting that most in this thread agree with lockdowns and and phased openings, they just think its too drawn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Meanwhile the curtain twitchers will be on standby to shoot any carol singers on site

Can this happen every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Rather spend my money here as it'll be sorely needed, but think the government seem to feel tourism can survive here while sitting the summer out.

I’ll support local business as best I can but really with nothing open and so many places likely to close I don’t know if there will be much left to support. In any case a break away from this asylum would be good. Went to the shop this evening people with masks pulled down below their mouths others with what look like breathing apparatus on them and constantly touching their faces. Scary stuff really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

The big problem is that no one really knows what the goal is. Goalposts are shifting. New risks emerge. The medics will be super risk adverse as is their want, but the big problem is that we do not have a functioning Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Ive been saying it for weeks there's no reason why barbers can't be open like that now,instead we have to wait this date 2 MONTHS to get a haircut!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Because we're going to have to open it anyway and in the mean time we're battering public finances, mental health and even in some cases physical health where screenings etc. aren't happening.

We plan to have virtually everything open in August, what do the government expect to change by opening slower? There will still be a mad rush for every single thing on the list that people are waiting to open.

The main justification is to wait and see how our caseload is effected by the gradual reopening, which makes sense. But we should know in 3 or 4 weeks whether we can reopen, stretching it out until August seems ridiculous.

Worth noting that most in this thread agree with lockdowns and and phased openings, they just think its too drawn out.

Thanks for the response. So you're saying that it's too drawn out, which could be true. But how do you decide how long is too long, or how short is too short?

What period of time is acceptable to say that the increase in cases is manageable and will not get out of control?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

As we are the outlier, the question should be why are we different?
    Are we seriously suggesting the whole continent are wrong, crazy and irresponsible? But we figured out the magic formula?

There has been zero justification given by our officials as to why only Ireland needs a 3-4 month reopening plan compared to the rest of the EU.

I'm open to hearing potential reasons, but I can't see any, and none have been offered, by anyone, yet. You'd have to assume those reasons would be absolutely massive to incur such a massive divergence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Didn't the Danes* magically solve this problem in their schools by changing it to 1 meter.

*Open to correction on the nationality.

Don’t worry they will change it to 1 metre here too when it suits the agenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Post of the year :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement