Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

sydthebeat wrote: »
    That is quite an outlandish statement from the IDC.
    Saying they just don't have the receptors to catch the disease doesn't add up when countries have reported deaths of children as young as six weeks old.

This BBC article, from yesterday, appears to completely refute the scientists claims.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-52003804

The article in the post I quoted is 3 weeks old

I read

"World Health Organization (WHO) chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan says that children are "less capable" of spreading the virus, and are at "very low risk" of getting ill from the disease.

"What we have seen in countries where schools have remained open is that there have not been big outbreaks in schools."

at bottom of article. seem very safe?

good morning btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The 5km rule is ridiculous. Most people are breaching it anyway .

Where are the studies stating that most people are breaching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Checkpoints will be probably visible for Thursday and Friday next week so workers will see them before the weekend comes and to give the illusion that they will be ongoing for the whole weekend,

We will be told throughout all media outlets that Gardaí will be out in force.

Don’t be bold and stay at home like Simon and Dr Tony say.

“We’re all in this together “ and the new line “Hold Firm” :rolleyes:

Yup no doubt there'll be a press call at a checkpoint but I wouldn't expect the same level of checkpoints as we've seen other bank holiday weekends. Said it on here before I've a friend who's a garda and he was doing 15hr shifts at one point with the overtime but that's all gone now. Most of the major checkpoints were being run on overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I’m heading to glendalough today so it will be interesting to see if the guards are stopping at checkpoints there.

the kelt wrote: »
    I’m heading to glendalough today so it will be interesting to see if the guards are stopping at checkpoints there.

If your going to hit one it'll be either around roundwood, the cross roads at Laragh or just before the Glendalough car parks. They're up in Glendalough more or less all the time but seeing as it's during the week you'll be unlucky if they said to turn around, cant imagine its busy up there during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Can’t be spending more than 2 hours in same room

How did this stupidity only enter discussion this week 9 weeks later??

What’s the next idiotic recommendation these fools are going to come up with.

Entered the discussion at this late stage just in time for Tony et al to be questioned by Dail Committee for only 2 hours.

Convenient.

Really is outrageous how advice from health services goes straight to a regulation, bypassing any process or even passing scrutiny.

VonLuck wrote: »

Do we all need to have studies and links to what’s right in front of our noses? It’s visible everywhere . It’s called cop on and common sense. I met friends for outdoor coffee yesterday and they all said they’re not staying within 5km.

I’m off hiking to the Mournes now , no restrictions in NI and I’m only 35km from the border . Have a lovely day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Yup no doubt there'll be a press call at a checkpoint but I wouldn't expect the same level of checkpoints as we've seen other bank holiday weekends. Said it on here before I've a friend who's a garda and he was doing 15hr shifts at one point with the overtime but that's all gone now. Most of the major checkpoints were being run on overtime.

what are they doing now? a lot of bread butter work ought to have dried up

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Do we all need to have studies and links to what’s right in front of our noses? It’s visible everywhere . It’s called cop on and common sense. I met friends for outdoor coffee yesterday and they all said they’re not staying within 5km.

I’m off hiking to the Mournes now , no restrictions in NI and I’m only 35km from the border . Have a lovely day :)

Lucky you. Enjoy

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its amazing! The outrage is at such a peak they cant even remember what they are upset about!

I’m off hiking now for the day to the Mournes , so I’m not outraged, I’m delighted and very happy!
    So many of us are doing this now anyway , they should be just lifted. Still keeping social distancing etc but not restrictions ! Ciao :)

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    If, "most people are breaching it anyway," why is it an issue for you?

But the issue is that it’s punishable by law to travel more than 5km for anything other than what they deem essential.

Many uncomfortable with that whether you’re flouting the law or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

VonLuck wrote: »

I and most people I know have breached it multiple times. The ones I know that haven't just haven't really needed or wanted to.

If that's true, it's absolutely outrageous.

Should have been pro-rated - minimum payment = dole, then increasing in line with your average weekly pay up to a max of 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

JP Morgan: lockdowns don't have any effect on infection rates. Analysis of both US states and countries.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1263170459450978314

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

If your going to hit one it'll be either around roundwood, the cross roads at Laragh or just before the Glendalough car parks. They're up in Glendalough more or less all the time but seeing as it's during the week you'll be unlucky if they said to turn around, cant imagine its busy up there during the week.

It’s for work anyway but will be interesting to see cos that’s one of the areas you would expect.

Said i better clarify before we have the usual you are worse than hitter comments about travelling etc.

the kelt wrote: »
    It’s for work anyway but will be interesting to see cos that’s one of the areas you would expect.

Said i better clarify before we have the usual you are worse than hitter comments about travelling etc.

Your killing people etc etc I get you.

Even for work nice place of the country to be with weather like this.

Nermal wrote: »
    JP Morgan: lockdowns don't have any effect on infection rates. Analysis of both US states and countries.

Really interesting. He also says that applies to other countries and that Covid 19 likely to have it’s own dynamics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

changes in habits ? more mask wearing , so may variables in this its hard to know what to beleive at this point.

Lol. We have nobel prize winning scientists telling us lockdowns are of little use, we have Israeli mathematicians proving to us lockdowns are of little use, now we have JPM telling us lockdowns are useless. We even have a Wuhan study that shows lockdowns are useless and social distancing wouldve done the job. (all these studies/analysis cover 30 + developed countries)

Leo was talking in the dail recently "We will reshape our society as we come out of this crisis, our children will avail of online education, our citizens will avail of E health, our air will become cleaner as people get used to working from home"

Basically wants our society to become socially awkward with children having minimal interaction, people staying at home etc. Very worrying.

Now we have below nonsense, any other countries coming out with this BS?

"Employers have been warned they should limit gatherings of staff or meetings in a room to no more than two hours to minimise the risk of workers having to stay at home if one of them tests positive for the coronavirus.

The rule applies to workers in a "closed space" like an office who are together for more than two hours if one of them is found to be diagnosed with the virus."

https://www.independent.ie/incoming/coronavirus-ireland-live-updates-number-of-cases-worldwide-crosses-5m-mark-39223123.html

Health officials in this country are losing the plot. Assume that everybody has covid (even though test positive rate is 2.5% 2.5%!!!)

So sick and tired of these "if one of them tests positive" these damn ifs. if I get hit a by bus, should I stay at home to be safe? nonsense.

I think we're all breaching the rules at this point. The official advise is to stay at home unless its absolutely essential to leave your house.

It wasn't essential for me to go to Supervalu yesterday to buy some chocolate.
    It wasn't essential for me to go to Homebase and look at paint / gardening items.
    I've gone to see friends and family already.

You can't lock us all up forever. If people are vulnerable or just afraid, they have the option to stay at home for as long as they want.

Growing numbers of people out and about now every day. There won't be another lockdown, we couldn't afford it anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Nice to see that the Irish Times has figured out why so many lockdowners are happy ———-

A significant minority of people in receipt of the €350 pandemic unemployment payment were paid less than €300 a week before the payment was introduced, a Government report has said, as questions continue about the future of the payment.The report, compiled by the Department of Business, raises concerns about “significant disincentive effects associated with the pandemic unemployment payment with 38 per cent of recipients previously earning less than €300 per week”.

With almost 600,000 people receiving the special payment, it means that over 200,000 people are better off unemployed than they were while working. That number includes many people who were working part-time in the hospitality industry.

Different topic but there is no justification for that 200,000 to keep getting the €350 going forward

They need to start tapering those people off getting back towards regular dole as the extra money will need to be paid back with interest

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Really interesting. He also says that applies to other countries and that Covid 19 likely to have it’s own dynamics.
    That doesn't seem to have an awful lot of data. Given that COVD-19 clusters, isolation and a form of restrictions are fairly logical considerations. Bear in mind too that a lot of responses were both reactive and very late. If you can do a South Korea on it, the level of restrictions can be reduced.

Getting more embarrassing by the day

"Over 200,000 earning more on Covid-19 unemployment payment
    Over a third of recipients were paid less than €300 a week before payment was introduced"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/over-200-000-earning-more-on-covid-19-unemployment-payment-1.4258634?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fover-200-000-earning-more-on-covid-19-unemployment-payment-1.4258634

Incompetence through the roof. We ll make another headline other than 5 months lockdown for pubs cinemas gyms, we also gave out more money to people than what they were earning before covid. How does this lockdown continue for another week let alone a month is beyond me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,471 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I read

"World Health Organization (WHO) chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan says that children are "less capable" of spreading the virus, and are at "very low risk" of getting ill from the disease.

"What we have seen in countries where schools have remained open is that there have not been big outbreaks in schools."

at bottom of article. seem very safe?

good morning btw

????

"Less capable" and "very low risk" does not equate to...... "children cannot catch the disease".....

Which was what was said in the article I quoted.

Your post has nothing at all to do with what I posted, so not sure why you quoted me

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Different topic but there is no justification for that 200,000 to keep getting the €350 going forward

They need to start tapering those people off getting back towards regular dole as the extra money will need to be paid back with interest
    It'll be here until July anyway. After that you'd expect to see it pulled back and redirected onto standard welfare payments. It's a cheap price for a sense of collective responsibility and solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

it's worrying that the government and Dr Tony are continuing on this track.
    How on earth can you justify being in the middle of phase 2 or 3 when new infections are only a trickle? But they will
    they seem intent on dragging this on .....

I suspect that ,particularly after the lows of the cervical cancer scandal , Dr Tony is on a major ego buzz with the deification he is receiving now. Addicted to his own hype. He is probably erect 24/7 at the moment suffering a massive dose of hypermania.

this is dangerous technocracy enabled by Leo being in awe of his medical superior and failing to do his job of balance what is best for the country.

For the love of jesus, what are the senior heads in FG thinking?? - does Leo have no mentor type in FG to pull him aside saying -this is SH1T.

Cos when the bill must be paid , the only thing to save FG will be the lack of a proper opposition.

Getting more embarrassing by the day

"Over 200,000 earning more on Covid-19 unemployment payment
    Over a third of recipients were paid less than €300 a week before payment was introduced"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/over-200-000-earning-more-on-covid-19-unemployment-payment-1.4258634?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fover-200-000-earning-more-on-covid-19-unemployment-payment-1.4258634

Incompetence through the roof. We ll make another headline other than 5 months lockdown for pubs cinemas gyms, we also gave out more money to people than what they were earning before covid. How does this lockdown continue for another week let alone a month is beyond me.
    Apart from an excuse for a rant, how could they have been more competent? Let's not forget the huge numbers and the almost instant end to all economic activity underscoring the need for a swift response.

paw patrol wrote: »
    How on earth can you justify being in the middle of phase 2 or 3 when new infections are only a trickle? But they will
    but they seem intent on dragging this on .....

I suspect that ,particularly after the lows of the cervical cancer scandal , Dr Tony is on a major ego buzz with the deification he is receiving now. Addicted to his own hype. He is probably erect 24/7 at the moment suffering a massive dose of hypermania.

this is dangerous technocracy enabled by Leo being in awe of his medical superior and failing to do his job of balance what is best for the country.

For the love of jesus, what are the senior heads in FG thinking?? - does Leo have no mentor type in FG to pull him aside saying -this is SH1T.

Cos when the bill must be paid , the only thing to save FG will be the lack of a proper opposition.
    And your plan is what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭uli84

Shops are desperate to open, Homestore and More is opening now but:

“ In accordance with government guidelines, we have repurposed our stores and are not selling homeware in store at the present time. We have closed furniture, bedding, curtains, crockery or other such departments.

We are selling permitted items only including cleaning, garden, pet, electrical and cycling.”

How ridiculous is that? Do they seriously think that people will come in thousands to my local which is never busy anyways to buy bedding?

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    but they seem intent on dragging this on .....

Some well thought out, balanced points there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement