Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

No we are obeying the government directive of limited movement for the health benefit of the nation.

Get out into the garden and have a beer dude and chill out a bit.

I can just imagine you with a big beetroot stressed head typing furiously in a dark room, complaining about lack of freedom :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

SNNUS wrote: »
    It's time to get the country back in order before the damage is irreversible, those who wish to
    netflix and do nothing for the summer are free to do so without covid payment. We now know who needs to be protected for Covid19 and that needs to be done.

Open the pubs.

They are the litmus test.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

easypazz wrote: »
    Open the pubs.

Pubs???

The pubs will not be opening for a while, more to life to drinking but they will be back in time.

I can just imagine you with a big beetroot stressed head typing furiously in a dark room, complaining about lack of freedom :)

Your imagination plays tricks on you. Too much lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

You missed todays developments, Belgium have started phase 1 on 4th of May and will begin phase 2 on 11th of May, Phase 4 (final phase) will be on 8th of June at which stage 95% of businesses will operate and its back to normal.

https://www.politico.eu/article/belgium-lifts-its-lockdown-what-is-allowed-and-when/

But here is the trick, they have 3 times more deaths per million of population than Ireland. Yet they exit lockdown 3 times quicker. late April's fools? no.

They have 8.5k deaths vs ours 1.4k. How dare they open up 3 times quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Thats unfair. I can PM you pics to prove Im a cider drinker!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

For those wondering how weddings are to operate post August 10th, my best friend is due to be married over Christmas of this year.

She had already been prepared to cut her guest list down to under 100 guests & was happy to do so, but the wedding coordinator contacted her last week with more bad news.
    As per the information the government have given hotels on how to host weddings safely, guests will have to sit 2m apart during the meal to incorporate social distancing.

This means instead of having 8 guests to a table she now can only have 2 guests per table, to ensure they are adequately spaced out. Which means she needs to cut down the list even further.

She will be allowed to have a band but there won’t be any dancefloor to prevent guests from mixing & also to accommodate the extra tables needed because of the 2m rule.
    Guests will not be allowed get up off their tables & mingle with each other and the bar will be table service only, so no queuing for drinks.
    Oh and they can’t promise they’ll be allowed have a bar extension either.

Needless to say it sounds like an absolutely miserable arrangement, luckily the hotel are being extremely helpful & accommodating so she’s probably going to postpone till 2021/22 in the hope that the social distancing rules won’t be as stringent by then.

If these are to be the terms & conditions for wedding receptions for the foreseeable future I can’t see why anyone would be bothered with it.
    Disappointing for couples and a massive loss of revenue to hotels too, which is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

SusieBlue wrote: »
    For those wondering how weddings are to operate post August 10th, my best friend is due to be married over Christmas of this year.

She had already been prepared to cut her guest list down to under 100 guests & was happy to do so, but the wedding coordinator contacted her last week with more bad news.
    As per the information the government have given hotels on how to host weddings safely, guests will have to sit 2m apart during the meal to incorporate social distancing.

This means instead of having 8 guests to a table she now can only have 2 guests per table, to ensure they are adequately spaced out. Which means she needs to cut down the list even further.

She will be allowed to have a band but there won’t be any dancefloor to prevent guests from mixing & also to accommodate the extra tables needed because of the 2m rule.
    Guests will not be allowed get up off their tables & mingle with each other and the bar will be table service only, so no queuing for drinks.

Needless to say it sounds like an absolutely miserable arrangement, luckily the hotel are being extremely helpful & accommodating so she’s probably going to postpone till 2021/22 in the hope that the social distancing rules won’t be as stringent by then.

If these are to be the terms & conditions for wedding receptions for the foreseeable future I can’t see why anyone would be bothered with it.
    Disappointing for couples and a massive loss of revenue to hotels too, which is sad.

Better off just postponing to next year, wouldn't be arsed with those restrictions, no type of wedding to have.

In saying that I'm due to go to one in late October and they've not heard any different from their hotel yet, hotel waiting on what will constitute a mass gathering indoors. But there's like 200 odd due to go to that so it'll probably get moved

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I guess this is the thread of choice for the hardcore anti "lockdown" brigade.

Amazing how much time some of them have to spout their views on here constantly.

Should they not be out in this weather enjoying the freedom they think they are being denied?

Maybe they are just a sad bunch of internet moaners after all :p

And all seemingly terrified of the economic fallout.

But they tell people not to follow the rules which in turn would lead to more cases and in turn prolongs the situation they say they are so against.

Interesting.

If everyone follows the guidelines restrictions get lifted quicker.

It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Open the pubs.

This again? I thought it wasn't about pubs?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Poll on lifting restrictions early: 61% yes, 34% no.

We have FF coming to our help. somewhat

"But Fianna Fáil’s business spokesperson Robert Troy has this morning called for the government to look at whether it can be done under strict guidelines."

https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-hairdressers-20-july-5094884-May2020/

Below makes it sound very reasonable to lift restrictions earlier than 20th of July.

"Countries like Denmark, France, Spain and Germany are opening hairdressers under strict rules this month, which includes: wearing face masks, people staying 1 metre apart when hair isn’t being cut, and hairdressers operating at 30% capacity"

Thats just a poll about opening hairdressers. Not the lifting of restrictions (plural) as implied in your opening.

Blessed are the barbers for they shall have red and white stripey poles ..

I got the wife to cut mine. Very nice job too :pac:

gozunda wrote: »
    Thats just a poll about opening hairdressers. Not the lifting of restrictions (plural) as implied in your opening.

Blessed are the barbers for they shall have red and white stripey poles ..

I got the wife to cut mine. Very nice job too :pac:

We just cant stop talking to each other can we :pac:

Please agree it would imply lifting restrictions earlier. You havent agreed with ANYTHING that us pro economic posters have posted.

Also I saw that you referenced "gradual slow lifting of restrictions" for European countries, I ve posted about Belgium just 2 mins ago, they lift restrictions 3 times quicker than us. Do you think they ll have a second wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

That is the absolute epitome of grim. Bloody hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

That's grand saying that but if they go ahead they be all pi55ed doing rock the boat

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Please agree it would imply lifting restrictions earlier. You havent agreed with ANYTHING that us pro economic posters have posted.

Also I saw that you referenced "gradual slow lifting of restrictions" for European countries, I ve posted about Belgium just 2 mins ago, they lift restrictions 3 times quicker than us. Do you think they ll have a second wave?

If you want measures lifted quicker why are you cheerleading people breaking the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

That is the absolute epitome of grim. Bloody hell.

Someone needs to call stop to this sort of new normal bs that the powers that be want us to accept. The 2m rule is going to have to be relaxed of ammended. It can't be adhered to 100% of the time.
    Its no way to live life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Well my guess we could see hundreds of construction workers making their way to the government buildings to show their displeasure. A bit like what farmers did couple of months back.

I think weekly construction pay is like 800 euros? A bit more? Missing out on 400-500 euros per week would hurt a lot.

What are they gonna do without supplies

Is every place that supplies construction going to open on the 18th, some of them aren't scheduled to like indoor factories?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Better off just postponing to next year, wouldn't be arsed with those restrictions, no type of wedding to have.

In saying that I'm due to go to one in late October and they've not heard any different from their hotel yet, hotel waiting on what will constitute a mass gathering indoors. But there's like 200 odd due to go to that so it'll probably get moved

My advise is postpone or arrange a nice flight abroad and have the wedding there.

Ah sure there we go eh? :D

What would imply "lifting restrictions earlier"?

No I dont think I'd call yer lot 'pro economic". A couple of other phrases come to mind but not that.

Do I think they'll have a second wave? I hope not. But I guess we're about to find out ...

#Watchthisdpace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

prunudo wrote: »
    Someone needs to call stop to this sort of new normal bs that the powers that be want us to accept. The 2m rule is going to have to be relaxed of ammended. It can't not be adhered to 100% of the time.
    Its no way to live life.

They can fuKk right off with their masks and their 2m

• Advertisement

Someone needs to call stop to this sort of new normal bs that the powers that be want us to accept. The 2m rule is going to have to be relaxed of ammended. It can't not be adhered to 100% of the time.
    Its no way to live life.

Not observing it - is no way to die either ...

Explainer: going inside 2 metres of another human is not a death sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

coastwatch wrote: »
    With all the trends moving in the right direction, there's a case to be made to start phase 1 opening a little earlier, say next Friday 15th instead of 18th, and also to bring in some phase 2 elements, like street level shops, libraries and increase the travel distance to 20Km.
    The re-opening "Roadmap" is a guide only, and every additional day of restrictions is an extra day of harm to peoples wellbeing and the economy, if not fully justified.

I reckon they'll wait till the 18th just to be on the safe side.

The 5 phases seem to be overly conservative, so I wouldn't be surprised if they accelerated those or combined them together.

Social distancing seems to work pretty well, it's just groups of teenagers and young men breaking the rules from what I've seen. But everyone else is grand - went out for a 2 hour walk today and passed hundreds of people, but I'd say there was just 1 group of 6 idiots who didn't care about anything, while everyone else was very considerate.

Disclaimer: Nothing I've just written can be called facts. :)

I've just read that "laws" relating to restrictions and lifting of restrictions are not legally enforceable because non elected officials/government are signing them, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Stop with the dramatics, for the vast majority this is no worse than regular flu. Tubridy, Claire Byrne and Ciara Kelly to name but 3 all back to work in less than 2 weeks.
    Project fear has well and truly taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I've just read that "laws" relating to restrictions and lifting of restrictions are not legally enforceable because non elected officials/government are signing them, is that true?

Dunno about that, this lad got charged

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/coronavirus-man-24-is-first-to-be-charged-under-new-covid-19-laws-1.4229662

Stop with the dramatics, for the vast majority this is no worse than regular flu. Tubridy, Claire Byrne and Ciara Kelly to name but 3 all back to work in less than 2 weeks.

And Boris Johnson, who walked out of ICU.

Well that really depends on who the two people are and who is infected or otherwise ...

In a nursing home for example - the stats would suggest that likleyhood is high

But no it's not all about 'death' remember. We need to keep the rate of infection down for a whole host of reasons

No dramatics just facts.

Ditto ...
    And Boris Johnson, who walked out of ICU.

And who clearly said he owed his life to his doctors and NHS staff ...

Ditto ...

That's it really ...

In a nursing home for example - the stats would suggest that likleyhood is high

No sh1t sherlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's not, but if one is capable of doing such a thing a career in a certain genre of film awaits

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement