Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

is_that_so wrote: »
    And your plan is what exactly?

Simple plan really.

Open the country up and forget about hiding behind the If this happens if that happens.

Nothing can happen if you happen to do nothing.

There is no need for this to be continued until August. Total over reaction which is going to have the country and people ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Simple plan really.

Open the country up and forget about hiding behind the If this happens if that happens.

Nothing can happen if you happen to do nothing.

There is no need for this to be continued until August. Toys over reaction which is going to have the country and people ruined.
    So the old it'll be grand plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

uli84 wrote: »
    Shops are desperate to open, Homestore and More is opening now but:

“ In accordance with government guidelines, we have repurposed our stores and are not selling homeware in store at the present time. We have closed furniture, bedding, curtains, crockery or other such departments.

We are selling permitted items only including cleaning, garden, pet, electrical and cycling.”

How ridiculous is that? Do they seriously think that people will come in thousands to my local which is never busy anyways to buy bedding?

That is genuinely mental. They can only open their shop if they put their home stuff away? Our rules are bizarre.

Nevermind the fact that Dunnes have been selling homeware and clothes this entire time. Can really see the government running themselves into trouble with 1 rule for 1 business and 1 for another.

So the old it'll be grand plan!

It’s the same as saying a second wave will be coming if you open a pub or restaurant.

How long do you wait 6 months 8 months??

Zero cases ? Vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

First time I've seen Leo even answer a question on a quicker reopening

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1263389626997317632?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Apart from an excuse for a rant, how could they have been more competent? Let's not forget the huge numbers and the almost instant end to all economic activity underscoring the need for a swift response.

I am in a rant mood I have to say, particularly grumpy today as I cant believe we are still doing this financial haemorrhage to our economy while all the news article report "Covid 19 cases reach 5 million" .... yeah okay. With 3 million recovered if not more, but that recovered sh*t gets close to 0 coverage.

Okay so, 203 a week for everyone who lost their job/temporary laid off + mortgage freezes. Why 350?? 350 is tons of money if you arent going to commute, if you arent going to eat in a restaurant, if you arent going to the pub to spend 5 euros for a pint.

First saving, instantly. Plus you wont have as hard time encouraging people to go back to work.

2nd off, why shut down construction/ outdoors work? Majority of countries have never done this. There has been 0 clusters or deaths at construction sites due to covid.

3rd off, why do we need more than 2 months of lockdown to come up with a strategy on how to deal with a virus? Why do we need pubs to stay shut for 5 months? Cinemas? Gyms? Are these places well known for disease spreading? no.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

VonLuck wrote: »
    Where are the studies stating that most people are breaching it?

Can anyone not have a discussion anymore without someone responding seeking a fcuking study? It’s clearly anecdotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Growing numbers of people out and about now every day. There won't be another lockdown, we couldn't afford it anyways.

Does not matter. If it's required, it's required.

State bankruptcy and an international bailout will be more likely if people refuse to follow rules.

So, in my view what you'd be better off doing is making sure people follow the rules and encouraging everyone to so.

It's in everyone's interest ultimately.

But if cases and deaths spike, as sure as night follows day, restrictions will be implemented again.

First time I've seen Leo even answer a question on a quicker reopening

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1263389626997317632?s=19

“Fast track only if data allows “

That’s that so see you all in 2021.

Dr Tony and NPHET can deliver the data whatever way suits their own agenda best.

Maybe in July we could throw in 200 cases from March incase things were progressing too well :pac:

It’s the same as saying a second wave will be coming if you open a pub or restaurant.

How long do you wait 6 months 8 months??

Zero cases ? Vaccine?
    We know where the end of these phases are and it's not in six months. We cannot overlook the possibility of another wave of this later in the year but we'll be better prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Dr Tony and NPHET can deliver the data whatever way suits their own agenda best.

Maybe in July we could throw in 200 cases from March incase things were progressing too well :pac:

What exactly do people think the agenda is here?

I can understand frustration with the measures we have in place, It gets to me at times as well, but the idea that Tony Holohan has some unspecified agenda to keep the country closed makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

And your plan is what exactly?

Go back to normal with full freedom of movement.
    Open all business , shops, pubs, restaurants and schools etc.

Although at this stage no harm in extra summer hols for kids ...but do the LC ffs.

If you want to have measures such as
    • hand sanitizer everywhere
    • masks on public transport
    • work from home where possible
    • etc...

fire away.

If you are worried stay in and isolate but let those who aren't go freely about their lives. you know general normal humanity stuff when we can fart about at our leisure and not leave in fear.

The measures were overblown and excessive ( not the initial one but secondary one - the 2km and all that....)

And finally jail anybody who mentions "a new normal".

It's not that much to ask

Jim Root wrote: »
    Can anyone not have a discussion anymore without someone responding seeking a fcuking study? It’s clearly anecdotal.
    Your anecdote is not my anecdote and it fast becomes pantomime!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

paw patrol wrote: »
    And finally jail anybody who mentions "a new normal".
    I think "the new normal" is my most hated phrase out of all of this.

What exactly do people think the agenda is here?

I can understand frustration with the measures we have in place, It gets to me at times as well, but the idea that Tony Holohan has some unspecified agenda to keep the country closed makes no sense to me.

Well Dr Tony has no great agenda or interests in opening the country for some strange reason.

It’s always the doomsday scenario with him.

Second wave, If restrictions are to be lifted today , as low as possible ,
    We’re not where we want to be etc etc and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What 'agenda' is this?

All a big conspiracy, is it?

Why not go full Gemma while you're at it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Do we all need to have studies and links to what’s right in front of our noses? It’s visible everywhere . It’s called cop on and common sense. I met friends for outdoor coffee yesterday and they all said they’re not staying within 5km.

So it's anecdotal evidence...

Anyone that I've spoken to has said they're sticking to the 5km limit. Does that mean most people are obeying the restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What 'agenda' is this?

Can I ask what will be different in August that will allow everything to be open then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭VonLuck

ixoy wrote: »

Oh I don't know. "Curtain Twitcher", "Lockdown Brigade" and "Karens" are up there as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Some well thought out, balanced points there

It wasnt balanced at all.
    It was a rant designed for the internet borne of frustration from the situation we are in.

Due to the absolute state of the government that we're unfortunate to suffer from and the numpties who cheers them on.
    Those curtain twitchers and tell-tales only delighted to report on kids on their local facebook page etc.

The absolute state this country has become in a matter of weeks.

You want balance ? read a thesis or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Fully agree.

Elderly are dying, 90% with underlying conditions such as lung disease, heart disease, cancer, unfortunately, with covid on their death certificates.

So 5 million population of Ireland has to stay at home, children cant go to schools, officer workers cant go to the office, we must create 30bn budget deficit and increase retirement age & taxes in October, people can't avail of cancer screening indefinitely until HSE boss says otherwise, we cant hug our parents/grandparents, 15-20% long term unemployment created, university students cant socialize or attend classes with majority going "online", we tell all our hospitality sector to reduce capacity by 50%, lay off 50% of staff, businesses are shutting down and we say "oh they had high rents".

Where is the "normal" part in any of this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

uli84 wrote: »
    Shops are desperate to open, Homestore and More is opening now but:

“ In accordance with government guidelines, we have repurposed our stores and are not selling homeware in store at the present time. We have closed furniture, bedding, curtains, crockery or other such departments.

We are selling permitted items only including cleaning, garden, pet, electrical and cycling.”

How ridiculous is that? Do they seriously think that people will come in thousands to my local which is never busy anyways to buy bedding?

They should have opened up and sell what they wanted. If dunnes can do it why can't they?

Well Dr Tony has no great agenda or interests in opening the country for some strange reason.

His job is to give medical advice to the government, not to open the country as soon as possible. If the criticism is to be directed anywhere it should be at the government for prioritising his advice rather than looking for a more balanced view. Personally I think there's no harm in prioritising the CMO's advice while there's a pandemic occuring but that's a whole debate in itself.

I really don't see what Holohan has done wrong here but he seems to be becoming a bit of a scapegoat in all of this.

Encouraged, hopeful, very pleased, disease is behaving ->We are on the right track
    Concerned, alarmed, troubled, too early to say -> Stay the course
    We could not advise, not where we want to be -> This is not changing soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

What 'agenda' is this?

Hurr Durr Gemma hurr Durr anti vax hurr Durr. Change the record and actually come up with an argument why our restrictions are dragging on months behind the rest of the EU.

VonLuck wrote: »
    So it's anecdotal evidence...

Anyone that I've spoken to has said they're sticking to the 5km limit. Does that mean most people are obeying the restrictions?
    Most people doing most things ...

What 'agenda' is this?

Why not go full Gemma while your at it?:D

The agenda of taking months to open the country incase something might happen like a second wave.

The agenda of making the general population so fearful they can’t live their daily lives without apprehension.

They talk daily like this virus is everywhere when in reality it’s pretty well controlled here now.

Some people under the impression from all this that if you contract the virus that’s it your dead. Again not even near the truth.

Tell us the actual active cases daily instead of saying 23/24 thousand cases.

Tell the people over 19 thousand of the cases are recovered.

Stop the negative and one sided agenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

That this is us ad on TV boils my piss.

bush wrote: »
    That this is us ad on TV boils my piss.

Pretty much all of the ads at the moment are extra annoying.

"In these _____ times" pops up in at least half of them. Yes, I'm aware there's a pandemic at the moment. It's why I've been working from home for the past two months and half the country is closed down. I don't need to be reminded of it 6 times per ad break and I can see right through your attempts to come across as caring in order to sell whatever shíte you happen to be selling, thanks very much.

• Advertisement

His job is to give medical advice to the government, not to open the country as soon as possible. If the criticism is to be directed anywhere it should be at the government for prioritising his advice rather than looking for a more balanced view. Personally I think there's no harm in prioritising the CMO's advice while there's a pandemic occuring but that's a whole debate in itself.

I really don't see what Holohan has done wrong here but he seems to be becoming a bit of a scapegoat in all of this.

There is a pandemic occurring 100% agree with that but we’re being advised by “experts “ who are treating this country like the epicentre of the whole thing with the ridiculous over cautious nature of their reaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement