Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Interestingly yesterday there was a news article in the rte business section,it was from the EU commission, near the end of the report it clearly states that Ireland need to remember it's part of the EU and while it plans on opening it economy it needs to remember that it needs to keep in line with the EU as a whole while reopening.
    Today Leo stated some parts of our road plan to reopen my be brought forward .
    Things are starting to change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Second Wave is expected in Autumn for every country who is lifting restrictions now, which is the vast majority, and this time around there won't be any lock down so it's really up to us how we moderate the spread of the virus in the next few months

Who’s expecting a second wave in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

10% of posters in this thread. And Tony H.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Do other countries not get Autumn or what? Why are they lifting their restrictions now, you need to tell them quickly that they are doomed come Autumn, what is it that you know that no one else seems to?

I'm sure the governments are fully aware of the risks later in the year. They all have different circumstances.

My argument would be opening up and then shutting down again is probably not the best way forward. I'd rather see limited restrictions remain that will help suppress spread regardless and could mean avoiding blanket shutdowns later.

But countries like Spain and Italy need some form of tourism and they want to try make hay while the sun shines.

Although how much people want to travel at the moment is a moot point.

They all have their own circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Not sure about the exact seasonal timing, but a spokesperson for the ECDC, interviewed on RTE Radio 1 this morning, did say that a second wave was probably more a question of 'when', rather than if.

Also deputy Irish CMO Ronan Glynn, quoted as saying that we will be living with complications from this virus for some time yet.

• Advertisement

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Not sure about the exact seasonal timing, but a spokesperson for the ECDC, interviewed on RTE Radio 1 this morning, did say that a second wave was probably more a question of 'when', rather than if.

Also deputy Irish CMO Ronan Glynn, quoted as saying that we will be living with complications from this virus for some time yet.

Yeah so no mention of August at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

10% of posters in this thread. And Tony H.

I'd love to see the correlation between these pro-lockdown morons and those who are better of on the €350 Covid-19 payment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

ZX7R wrote: »
    Interestingly yesterday there was a news article in the rte business section,it was from the EU commission, near the end of the report it clearly states that Ireland need to remember it's part of the EU and while it plans on opening it economy it needs to remember that it needs to keep in line with the EU as a whole while reopening.
    You're going to have to reveal your sources for both of those assertions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ZX7R wrote: »

I’d say there’s probably actual realism in Europe re the whole European economy and they aren’t going to bail us out just because we are too gutless to open up. Makes sense too why should others “take risks” while the precious Irish are too important?

I'd love to see the correlation between these pro-lockdown morons and those who are better of on the €350 Covid-19 payment.

Or those in the public service getting full pay and sitting at home doing damn all

• Advertisement

Many are already on various forms of welfare already, doesn’t take Einstein to see that on social media. Easy to put lives over money when you never have to actually earn it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,560 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Oops read that wrong...

Pro-lockdown morons know more than the 99.99% of the medical and scientifically qualified people in the world and take their stance from the Likes of gun toting open up “militia” that are protesting in the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Been to Greece and the islands many tines love it there and the Greeks are lovely people. Good luck to them and hopefully if Harris “cops on” I’ll be able to visit this summer.

Have to agree the Greeks I have met have been lovely in the vast majority of cases.

It is not alone Harris you need to consider.
    It will be how European countries deal with aviation unless you plan on sailing there.
    road_high wrote: »
    The problem being that you’re not allowed spend it here, Tony and co won’t let you...que little snigger from him about it.
    Reckon the airlines will start up soon and be packed with people legging it out of here with their wallets to sane countries. The news from the DofF is fairly dire this evening, looks like they’re going to have to borrow way more and tax revenues are even going to be below what they thiught. So big round of applause for Tony, Nphet, Harris, Donohoe and the whole gallery of bankrupting idiots

You can reckon all you want, but it won't make it so.

Some major carriers like Ryanair have been saying that social distancing on airplanes is not going to work as there is not enough distance between rows of seats.
    And that would be every single aircraft not just the Ryanair fleet.
    And O'Leary has basically said it is uneconomical for them to fly a route with 1/3 full aircraft.

Thinking there will be packed aircraft flying around Europe anytime this summer is delusional.
    Air travel is going to be very problematic because as O'Leary says you are shoving people together into a tin can for a few hours.

Besides some of the airlines will not be back.
    Will there be many charter flights this year?
    Prices are going to dramatically increase as well due to lack of aircraft, less routes, less carriers.

And the Greek prime minister actually stated they want the well heeled tourists not the pi**heads who pile into Kavos and the likes.

They want the tourists that rent villas where they can have social distancing not the ones piled high in a hotel and out on the strip every night slapping the gob or whatever else off each other.

I am not allowed discuss …

Many are already on various forms of welfare already, doesn’t take Einstein to see that on social media. Easy to put lives over money when you never have to actually earn it

I’m pretty sure that was he alive today Albert wouldn’t be basing his decision making on what is posted to Snapchat.

Or those in the public service getting full pay and sitting at home doing damn all

Such as who? Doctors? Nurses? Gardaí? Teachers?

I’m pretty sure that was he alive today Albert wouldn’t be basing his decision making on what is posted to Snapchat.

I’m sure he wouldn’t but a vast number in society do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Or sat at home all the the time, or had the social capabilities of sour milk, or already found a partner, or hadn't paid 3k a year for private health insurance.

No doubt about it, these restrictions had little effect on some social lives while having positive effects financially.

The eureka moment next Autumn will be rather shocking for those who haven't seen the wood from the trees yet

Such as who? Doctors? Nurses? Gardaí? Teachers?

Teachers??

Eh 1 hour a day on full pay doesn't count

I'm sure the governments are fully aware of the risks later in the year. They all have different circumstances.

My argument would be opening up and then shutting down again is probably not the best way forward. I'd rather see limited restrictions remain that will help suppress spread regardless and could mean avoiding blanket shutdowns later.

But countries like Spain and Italy need some form of tourism and they want to try make hay while the sun shines.

Although how much people want to travel at the moment is a moot point.

They all have their own circumstances.

You keep mentioning insane ideas like rolling lockdowns and going back into lockdown later this year, regardless of the cost. Even if it means bankrupting the entire country.

There is no vaccine for Covid.

Is there any financial cut off for you? Would you be happy to keep locking down and going further and further into billions and billions more debt? Are you happy to condemn our children to a lifetime of tough times?

At any point would you consider looking at alternatives that offer balance? Cocooning the elderly.

The solutions that you keep suggesting will only lead to society collapsing. Either due to a depleted economy or civil unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

the EU is following a plan to slowly reopen in stages to prevent another massive peak, Ireland will comply to that no matter how much some people scream in here

• Advertisement

You keep mentioning insane ideas like rolling lockdowns and going back into lockdown later this year, regardless of the cost. Even if it means bankrupting the entire country.

There is no vaccine for Covid.

Is there any financial cut off for you? Would you be happy to keep locking down and going further and further into billions and billions more debt? Are you happy to condemn our children to a lifetime of tough times?

At any point would you consider looking at alternatives that offer balance? Cocooning the elderly.

The solutions that you keep suggesting will only lead to society collapsing. Either due to a depleted economy or civil unrest.

if you read his post is actually said the opposite to going back into lockdown

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

the EU is following a plan to slowly reopen in stages to prevent another massive peak, Ireland will comply to that no matter how much some people scream in here
    I think the point is Ireland's following a much slower plan than other EU members and that's what people are shouting about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Right then how come restaurants, bars, barbers and other establishments are open for business in Austria, Germany and Denmark while we're dragging our feet by comparison, or did those Nations not get the EU's memo?

Teachers??

Eh 1 hour a day on full pay doesn't count

I know plenty of teachers doing a lot more than 1 hour a day.
    But you keep bashing them if you want, out of whatever jealously that drives you while they have no control over what they are able to do.

ixoy wrote: »
    I think the point is Ireland's following a much slower plan than other EU members and that's what people are shouting about.

Our lock down measures were also softer than other countries where people weren't allowed outside the house at all unless for essential trips to shops and hospital

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Right then how come restaurants, bars, barbers and other establishments are open for business in Austria, Germany and Denmark while we're dragging out feet by comparison, or did those Nations not get the EU's memo?

Those countries didn't let people out of the houses for 2 months, no 2km strolling around, no trips to LIDL to buy a few cans

ixoy wrote: »

Not correct, Ireland has taken one step on its plan with the possibility of moving faster or slower For the next steps depending on the figures And advice as it evolves.

Every possibility we will move faster, And a chance we could move slower as the plan is subject to change

I know plenty of teachers doing a lot more than 1 hour a day.
    But you keep bashing them if you want, out of whatever jealously that drives you while they have no control over what they are able to do.

I doubt they can be mentioned along with nurses, doctors and Gardai, they will be at home for 6 months on full pay

if you read his post is actually said the opposite to going back into lockdown

I've read lots of his posts. He keeps mentioning rolling lockdowns, second waves and reintroducing "measures".

He seems happy to bankrupt the country for years to come to handle an illness thats mild to most.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Seriously

"MORE THAN 50,000 people are waiting for eye care appointments from the HSE, including patients with deteriorating conditions such as glaucoma, while concerns are also being raised that treatments and procedures will be further delayed as a result of Covid-19.

The latest figures from the Department of Health show that 41,401 people are waiting for an outpatient appointment, with 12,414 of those waiting more than 18 months for their appointment."

https://www.thejournal.ie/50000-people-waiting-for-eye-care-appointment-5103723-May2020/

If we will depend on HSE progress to lift restrictions then we ll get out of lockdown in the mid 2021. Disastrous.

No mention of the large volume of patients opting not to attend the appointments/treatments which are going ahead because they're frightened to attend .

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement