Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

RGS wrote: »
    This looks like an excuse to push the restaurant opening back a phase or two.
    We saw the reaction to Ikea opening.
    The flexibility appears to be one way---- backwards.

bit of a joke really what happended when mcdonalds reopened plce was mobbed.

you need to open enough places to spread out the demand, not restrict the number and then wonder why theres queues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

We were all laughing at the folks int the US protesting lockdowns now it looks like we're all going to join them. Nearly everyone sneering at them a while back on here.

Completely different context. I still very much sneer at them, they were idiots who couldn't care less how many lives were lost so long as they got their way, it was at the beginning/middle of an enormous outbreak in the US and would have had disastrous consequences. We are needlessly destroying the economy for an epidemic that is long over

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

Exactly...and if the WHO is telling us that Covid19 is here to stay and we need to learn to live with it, what the hell is Harris jumping onto Twitter for to tell us we need to "finish the job"??? That lad needs to seriously cop on to himself. If it's here to stay, not one more day of lockdown is justifiable.

We were all laughing at the folks int the US protesting lockdowns now it looks like we're all going to join them. Nearly everyone sneering at them a while back on here.

They protested as soon as restrictions started.
    We haven't protested after restrictions that have last over 2 months and are scheduled to last just short of 3 more months. It will be 5 months of restrictions.

Not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

So nobody said it, and the original post, much the same as yours is just doomsday nonsense mixed with gemma and John type nanny state rhetoric, the country hasnt shut down, just the unnecessary and irrelevant job holders are told to stay home for a while. They will all be back.

The unnecessary and irrelevant job holder are told to stay home for awhile?

I have seen some ignorant posts here but I think this really sets a new standard. Further, the idea that they will all be back is quite frankly stupid. Some will be back - many will not.

And unfortunately we used most of the tools at our disposal during the last crisis - no room to manoeuvre in interest rates, and we are facing into a trade war.

I hope I am wrong, but I would rather be a realist than a fantasist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We have to do what is best for our country and that will depend on the data ultimately.

Someone's had a double-helping of Dr Tony Kool-Aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

They protested as soon as restrictions started.
    We haven't protested after restrictions that have last over 2 months and are scheduled to last just short of 3 more months. It will be 5 months of restrictions.

Not the same.

I will not be protesting like that. I will vent here and largely stay compliant as I have done since even before the lock down was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

So nobody said it, and the original post, much the same as yours is just doomsday nonsense mixed with gemma and John type nanny state rhetoric, the country hasnt shut down, just the unnecessary and irrelevant job holders are told to stay home for a while. They will all be back.

This has to be the most outrageous comment I’ve ever encountered on this forum.

I suppose the 10s of billions these people contribute in PAYE every year is also unnecessary and irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

road_high wrote: »
    I think these people seem to think the economy is like some kind of light switch you can flick on and off and you’ll be back to what it was before regardless.

Never said that, the economy is going to take a hit, but we have a strong economy and will recover.

Its just that the decision makers are putting peoples lives ahead of peoples money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Someone's had a double-helping of Dr Tony Kool-Aid.

Silly me, we should listen to randomers on boards instead of experts.

I forgot we don't do experts anymore.

• Advertisement

Never said that, the economy is going to take a hit, but we have a strong economy and will recover.

Its just that the decision makers are putting peoples lives ahead of peoples money.

We don’t have a strong economy. We had up until a few weeks ago. Now we have a very weak economy. There is no reset button to take us back to the way things were. We need to get back to where we were incrementally quarter over quarter and the sooner we start the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes we “had“ being the operative word. In the meantime while we borrow at least 30 billion Plus to “save lives” what cuts will you be recommending to plug the shortfall? Or do you think if we clap hard enough the money will appear in nurses and pensioners bank accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So can you address your irrelevant workers comment ?? One of the most ignorant comments I've ever seen on here

Without said workers there isn't a recovery so they aren't that irreverent are they seeing as we have this strong economy ? You do know that the hospitality industry supports over 200,000 jobs each making a contribution to said strong economy so hardly irrelevant now are they. I'm sure many will take offense to those comments

the kelt wrote: »
    Unnecessary and Irrelevant job holders!!!

Well im sure theres a couple of hundred thousand people or so who will love to be addressed as irrelevant.

Does kinda sum up the whole thing though, they dont seem to matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Your right and your wrong.

There are thousands of jobs that are currently unnecessary. Fashion, beauty, car sales etc etc etc.
    There are industries that are currently irrelevant, motoring, tourism, hospitaity.

If your working in one of those jobs this should not be news to you, but the core jobs that society actually needs to survive are the ones that have stayed working over the last 6 weeks. So yes in the grand scheme of things nail salons and michelin star restaurants "dont matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things"

We don’t have a strong economy. We had up until a few weeks ago. Now we have a very weak economy. There is no reset button to take us back to the way things were. We need to get back to where we were incrementally quarter over quarter and the sooner we start the better.

Almost correct

We need to get back to where we were, while ensuring we dont have to take a step backwards with regards lock downs and the spread of a deadly disease

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There are thousands of jobs that are currently unnecessary. Fashion, beauty, car sales etc etc etc.
    There are industries that are currently irrelevant, motoring, tourism, hospitaity.

If your working in one of those jobs this should not be news to you, but the core jobs that society actually needs to survive are the ones that have stayed working over the last 6 weeks. So yes in the grand scheme of things nail salons and michelin star restaurants "dont matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things"

You’re away with the fairies if this is how you think modern economies work. Yes you “could” ditch all that stuff but it’ll result in drastically reduced living standards for all including all those blessed essential workers. Who do you think generates the wealth and activity to pay everyone else?

By all you mean the 8 people constantly posting on this thread that restrictions should be lifted and should never have been in place??

Gemma drew a bigger crowd.

road_high wrote: »
    You’re away with the fairies if this is how you think modern economies work. Yes you “could” ditch all that stuff but it’ll result in drastically reduced living standards for all including all those blessed essential workers. Who do you think generates the wealth and activity to pay everyone else?

I never offered any information as to how modern economies work.

So can you address your irrelevant workers comment ?? One of the most ignorant comments I've ever seen on here

Without said workers there isn't a recovery so they aren't that irreverent are they seeing as we have this strong economy ? You do know that the hospitality industry supports over 200,000 jobs each making a contribution to said strong economy so hardly irrelevant now are they. I'm sure many will take offense to those comments

People can take offense all they like, but in the last few months the binman is more important than the barman, the postman has a very necessary job while the hairdresser doesn't and we need nurses not sommelliers.

If someone has not been working in the last 2 months its because their job is not a necessity to survival. Thats just a fact if you like it or not.

Every one of those “core jobs” you describe exists because of the taxes provided by the jobs you call irrelevant. Without car sales and hair salons there are no nurses and doctors. This is the basis of any modern economy. Comments like yours are scarcely believable and almost certainly trolling.

The VRT on a single car sale could probably pay the salary of a nurse for the duration of the lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

People can take offense all they like, but in the last few months the binman is more important than the barman, the postman has a very necessary job while the hairdresser doesn't and we need nurses not sommelliers.

If someone has not been working in the last 2 months its because their job is not a necessity to survival. Thats just a fact if you like it or not.

You do realise without the jobs you mention theres no taxes to pay for the nurses seeing as you mentioned them in particular.
    The tax revenues taken in from these "irrelevant" services pay for mine and yours "relevant" services.

I cant break it down much easier for you to understand. Other posters have also tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    It’s really pathetic to have that much hate inside you. If you really don’t like something, just don’t do it

I was referring to this post when I said that people should have their heads examined and you went the full shame on you routine with me. Unless you're the one posting that stuff in the above post there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist. Go back and read the posts. Slowly so you can understand them.

Nice try, but weasel-worded digs were plain to see. Actually the bit of Latin was intended as light-hearted olive branch but that got you in a snot too. :rolleyes:

Review some of the posts by you and your fellow travellers and what you've been saying about other contributors, their characters and their lives. If you want to talk hate, take a look in the mirror, Dr Freud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Not true. My wife's car broke down and she could not get a mechanic to repair it. Thankfully, a very generous neighbour loaned her his car until I could repair hers myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dentists and construction workers are not essential?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭mollser

The Scottish government has identified four phases for easing the restrictions:

Phase 1: Virus not yet contained but cases are falling. From 28 May you should be able to meet another household outside in small numbers. Sunbathing is allowed, along with some outdoor activities like golf and fishing. Garden centres and drive-through takeaways can reopen, some outdoor work can resume, and childminding services can begin.

Phase 2: Virus controlled. You can meet larger groups outdoors, and meet another household indoors. Construction, factories, warehouses, laboratories and small shops can resume work. Playgrounds and sports courts can reopen, and professional sport can begin again.

Phase 3: Virus suppressed. You can meet people from more than one household indoors. Non-essential offices would reopen, along with gyms, museums, libraries, cinemas, larger shops, pubs, restaurants, hairdressers and dentists. Live events could take place with restricted numbers and physical distancing restrictions. Schools should reopen from 11 August.

Phase 4: Virus no longer a significant threat. University and college campuses can reopen in full, mass gatherings are allowed. All workplaces open and public transport is back at full capacity.

Scotland's easing. Interesting, Tony talks of the virus being supressed in Ireland, so on Scotland's recommendation we should be going straight to phase 3! Interesting that they're starting to ease 2 weeks after us, so we are ahead at the minute.

These jobs are essential to your survival so that these people do not become desperate enough to tear you limb from limb.

silverharp wrote: »
    dentists and construction workers are not essential?

No apparently as humans only need water and food to survive anyone who doesn’t work in Tesco is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

By all you mean the 8 people constantly posting on this thread that restrictions should be lifted and should never have been in place??

Gemma drew a bigger crowd.

The only people I see mentioning Gemma odoherty are the likes of you. I can't stand the crazy old Bat but clearly you've some strange attraction to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Or to make sure more formal restaurants and gastro pubs operate on a similar footing - reservations required, table service only, substantial meal, reduced numbers and layout configured to meet social distancing requirements, disinfecting tables between customers, register of contacts maintained for x weeks to enable contact tracing, etc...

If they can offer their services within the same public health parameters there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to open to the same schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I'd love to see the correlation between these pro-lockdown morons and those who are better of on the €350 Covid-19 payment.

Talking to someone today, on the 350 and so is the wife. Happy enough at home, they made less working.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement