Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

prunudo wrote: »
    Stop with the dramatics, for the vast majority this is no worse than regular flu. Tubridy, Claire Byrne and Ciara Kelly to name but 3 all back to work in less than 2 weeks.
    Project fear has well and truly taken over.

I’d say the day of “project fear” is well gone now. Death rate is significantly lower than scare mongers back in February were modelling (dr Ferguson,,, anyone ??!!!). Can’t believe these clowns can’t be held responsible for creating world panic and destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

easypazz wrote: »
    And Boris Johnson, who walked out of ICU.

The theatrics of it all. Oscar winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    I wonder will still feel the same way,when the second wave of the virus is worse than the first initial phase, and the death rate is higher ?

Or maybe (hopefully) like the previous SARS pandemic we might see this die out itself by July and no major 2nd wave at all.

Second wave is not a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

And all seemingly terrified of the economic fallout.

But they tell people not to follow the rules which in turn would lead to more cases and in turn prolongs the situation they say they are so against.

Interesting.

If everyone follows the guidelines restrictions get lifted quicker.

It really is that simple.

It is NOT that simple. Dont be patronising. There is a myriad of factors in play here from geography to demographics to risk factors, economical fallout, mental health and a host of others. That is just a silly/naive comment to say this is simple. It is far from simple

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

mean gene wrote: »
    That's grand saying that but if they go ahead they be all pi55ed doing rock the boat

rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby...

twitter.com/baekdal/status/1254460167812415489

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Or maybe (hopefully) like the previous SARS pandemic we might see this die out itself by July and no major 2nd wave at all.

We didnt even get a first wave. Damp squib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

No second wave is not a given but the massive economic depression with poverty, suicide, unprecedented unemployment levels, massive levels of business failure, no money for public services, austerity etc. Etc. is. The blue shirts have taken over. Where are the calm voices rather than group think? What would the likes of Noonan or McCreevy be saying in these circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

dalyboy wrote: »
    I’d say the day of “project fear” is well gone now. Death rate is significantly lower than scare mongers back in February were modelling (dr Ferguson,,, anyone ??!!!). Can’t believe these clowns can’t be held responsible for creating world panic and destruction.

I think it is becoming quite evident that the mortality of covid is nothing like what was predicted.

I just hope Leo & Co win some cherry points and lift restrictions earlier.

I mean I would respect Leo greatly for some pro activeness.

And Boris Johnson, who walked out of ICU.

Healthy young regular people not cocaine snorting, overweight smokers who drink too much.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    step away from the keyboard, you are embarrassing yourself, in trying to look smart and cool for a gang of faceless keyboard warriors, you have embarrassed yourself, best if you now self-isolate,
    You are now banned from posting in this thread again

• Advertisement

That is the absolute epitome of grim. Bloody hell.

Sounds like horse****, and by horse**** I mean in the way the hotel interpreted what they were told. Restaurants will be allowed sit people together but space tables. Why not the same for a wedding. A couple who come together, sit together. Lay out the tables right, and 2 meters is nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

easypazz wrote:
    Explainer: going inside 2 metres of another human is not a death sentence.
    gozunda wrote:
    In a nursing home for example - the stats would suggest that likleyhood is high
    No sh1t sherlock.

So you are saying those inside nursing homes are not human?

Interesting viewpoint if so ...

Good news - it seems that in Europe incl UK recovered cases are on track to overtake live cases, genuinely seems like its "going" away

half way through below link

https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/

If this trend continues for 1 - 2 weeks, Leo has to become pro active in terms of saving jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Stheno wrote: »
    He said yesterday he is confident we are where we need to be to ease restrictions on the 18th

Do none of you watch the daily briefing?

It's fairly obvious that most of them don't.

I think it is becoming quite evident that the mortality of covid is nothing like what was predicted.

I just hope Leo & Co win some cherry points and lift restrictions earlier.

I mean I would respect Leo greatly for some pro activeness.

Bottom line is a lot of people backed the wrong horse, but instead of conceding defeat keep in the race dreaming of a miraculous comeback.

Bottom line is a lot of people backed the wrong horse, but instead of conceding defeat keep in the race dreaming of a miraculous comeback.

I think a better analogy is a lot of bets have been placed on Arsenal to beat Chelsea in 2014, but instead of cashing out for 4 cents when scoreline was 3-0 to Chelsea they put more money on Arsenal only to end up with 6-0 scoreline

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No second wave is not a given but the massive economic depression with poverty, suicide, unprecedented unemployment levels, massive levels of business failure, no money for public services, austerity etc. Etc. is. The blue shirts have taken over. Where are the calm voices rather than group think? What would the likes of Noonan or McCreevy be saying in these circumstances?

And yet little over a month ago you were so concerned about people not observing the restrictions in a supermarket you decided to report them and call the guards...

Hmnnnn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

SusieBlue wrote: »
    For those wondering how weddings are to operate post August 10th, my best friend is due to be married over Christmas of this year.

She had already been prepared to cut her guest list down to under 100 guests & was happy to do so, but the wedding coordinator contacted her last week with more bad news.
    As per the information the government have given hotels on how to host weddings safely, guests will have to sit 2m apart during the meal to incorporate social distancing.

This means instead of having 8 guests to a table she now can only have 2 guests per table, to ensure they are adequately spaced out. Which means she needs to cut down the list even further.

She will be allowed to have a band but there won’t be any dancefloor to prevent guests from mixing & also to accommodate the extra tables needed because of the 2m rule.
    Guests will not be allowed get up off their tables & mingle with each other and the bar will be table service only, so no queuing for drinks.
    Oh and they can’t promise they’ll be allowed have a bar extension either.

Needless to say it sounds like an absolutely miserable arrangement, luckily the hotel are being extremely helpful & accommodating so she’s probably going to postpone till 2021/22 in the hope that the social distancing rules won’t be as stringent by then.

If these are to be the terms & conditions for wedding receptions for the foreseeable future I can’t see why anyone would be bothered with it.
    Disappointing for couples and a massive loss of revenue to hotels too, which is sad.

I'm fully in favour of opening up the economy and getting lives back to normal.
    I think we're being massively over-cautious and wouldn't be a fan of the way things are being handled here.
    But at the same time, I wouldn't have much sympathy for someone who's main concern is cutting guest lists for a wedding or people sitting apart.
    This is a nightmare for everyone and lives are being lost, businesses destroyed, an economy in ruins, jobs lost permanently for many, kids mental health suffering and so a wedding issue seems utterly trivial.
    If the wedding can go ahead then super, if the couple love each other then whats the problem? Just get on with it or postpone it and do it later.
    I dunno, some of the crap people complain about in the midst of a crisis is nuts. Anyway, it sounds like a decent wedding to me, you get to sit 2 metres away from annoying guests and there's no queue at the bar..... Sounds brilliant! :D
    But being serious...... This rubbish is the least of the country's issues right now. Go ahead or postpone it til later, nobody dies!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We didnt even get a first wave. Damp squib.

Tell one of the 1,446 grieving families how much of a 'damp squib' it is.

I should say more but I'll resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

gozunda wrote: »
    And yet little over a month ago you were so concerned about people not observing the restrictions in a supermarket you decided to report them and call the guards...

Yes. That was over a month ago. And I still think there needs to be social distancing within 2 metres and people need to be considerate of others. Thankfully that supermarket decided to play by the rules and not only have I contributed to saving lives but also saving jobs.

The question is whether we continue the full lock down and importantly the speed of easement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

NewRed2 wrote: »
    I'm fully in favour of opening up the economy and getting lives back to normal.
    I think we're being massively over-cautious and wouldn't be a fan of the way things are being handled here.
    But at the same time, I wouldn't have much sympathy for someone who's main concern is cutting guest lists for a wedding or people sitting apart.
    This is a nightmare for everyone and lives are being lost, businesses destroyed, an economy in ruins, jobs lost permanently for many, kids mental health suffering and so a wedding issue seems utterly trivial.
    If the wedding can go ahead then super, if the couple love each other then whats the problem? Just get on with it or postpone it and do it later.
    I dunno, some of the crap people complain about in the midst of a crisis is nuts. Anyway, it sounds like a decent wedding to me, you get to sit 2 metres away from annoying guests and there's no queue at the bar..... Sounds brilliant! :D
    But being serious...... This rubbish is the least of the country's issues right now. Go ahead or postpone it til later, nobody dies!

What an absolutely bizarre reaction, of course there are more important things going on in the world than one persons wedding, I never said otherwise :confused: And I never said it was a main concern either.

A few people asked what would happen with weddings in the aftermath of restrictions being lifted and I posted the above because I was in the know. That’s all. Not because I think it’s a pressing concern that all restrictions need to be lifted to accommodate.

And it may be ‘rubbish’ to you but for a lot of couples they have spent a lot of money & time planning for their big day and the extreme over cautious social distancing measures are causing them a lot of concern.
    As well as that, the numerous cancellations & postponings is going to have a massive negative effect on the hotel industry.
    The lost revenue is going to be a lot to take after being shut for half the year.

gozunda wrote: »

Hmnnnn...

A month is an awful long time in the the covid era.

Go ahead and say it. Show us what you are made of.

Why resist? The mortality rate is .5%. Meaning we have had 300k cases in ireland at the moment doing the reverse maths. This is obviously a tragedy but nothing like what was sold to us. Tell that to the 2k cancer patients who will die because their treatment has been cancelled or postponed for a virus that kills .5% of those infected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I've just read that "laws" relating to restrictions and lifting of restrictions are not legally enforceable because non elected officials/government are signing them, is that true?

Where did you read that? I would very much doubt it.

Arghus wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious that most of them don't.

Or more likely pretend not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

This old populist rubbish again used to bolster an argument.

If Covid didnt exist most of those perhaps would of passed on naturally. Do you extend your sympathy in such a manner to every death in Ireland every day of every year?

65 people died in ICU, so 65 people out of the complete death toll were deemed healthy enough in the first place to recieve intensive care.

snowcat wrote: »
    Why resist? The mortality rate is .5%. Meaning we have had 300k cases in ireland at the moment doing the reverse maths. This is obviously a tragedy but nothing like what was sold to us. Tell that to the 2k cancer patients who will die because their treatment has been cancelled or postponed for a virus that kills .5% of those infected

Kindly show us your evidence for this statement.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Go ahead and say it. Show us what you are made of.

Threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

quick sum up of the position this country is in

for those who want to open up, to justify that position the hope is when we end lock down people dont die in huge numbers from the virus

but those who are pro full lock down then their position can be validated two ways
    1. if we have thousands of deaths when lock down ends.
    2. the lock down never fully ends

one is a position of hope and a belief in humanity to work together
    the other is a position of despair and elitism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement