Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Arghus wrote: »
    That's exactly what they've repeated again for the thousandth time in the briefing today.

But good luck getting that message through to them in here.

Actions speak louder than words. They have not eased rather restricted further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Let's put the cards on the table here.

The increasing minority of people left who are still supporting the lockdown despite a downward trend in cases and deaths -

- Miserable curtain twitchers.
    - Long term unemployed, who want everyone else to live like them.
    - People who are now better off receiving the €350 a week while they worked part time before. And prefer to stay at home because of that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

So you didn’t need a mechanic after all.

What I did need was a spare part that someone broke lockdown to get for me. And if I had not been able to repair it myself? One less nurse in the hospital until her car was repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Hey, if your happy the country's only selling point is facilitating Temple Bar for British lager louts and stags or the Guinness Store house as it's main attraction, fair enough.

Some of us have hopes of a higher standard for the country beyond "come here, get drunk".

Maybe this can be a catalyst for reinventing how we market the country.

Imagine the tourists coming here and pumping money into our economy. The bastards.

I'm sure they visit some culturally appropriate sites as well, to keep fuddy-duddys like yourself happy.

Although I don't think they flock in in their droves to see our world renowned art galleries and museums......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is it possible Tony & Co know more than rest of developed European Nations?

When you answer that, you ll answer your question.

Its possible they are wrong.
    But id sooner they be cautiously wrong than optimistically wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think people (myself included) hoping for an earlier lifting of restrictions should lower their expectations.

I had another look at the phase 2 of the roadmap and I think that there won't be a lot of easing then either - unless there is a dramatic improvement in the numbers - and by dramatic I mean get the new cases to very low double digits/close to single digits.

There are a couple of things that I found interesting and make me think that easing will be very low on June 8th. The roadmap on gov.ie mentions:
    "The advice will be to still avoid unnecessary journeys wherever possible.
    You will be able to travel up to 20 kilometres away from your home as opposed to the 5 kilometre limit which was in place since 5 May."

and
    Small retail outlets can reopen with a small number of staff on the basis that the retailer can control the number of individuals that staff and customers interact with at any one time.

I mean, what is the point of reopening retail stores if you advice avoiding unnecessary journeys and only allow 20 km travelling?
    That's why I think that the list of stores reopening on June 8th won't be very long. Otherwise it will be very difficult to police/enforce it properly and then it would be like there are no restrictions.

Having said that I still plan to break the 20km rule after June 8th and go to Dublin to meet with my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There are other ways to meet people, the pub isn’t the only way.

Join a club, take up a hobby, play a sport, volunteer somewhere.

None if which are open anyhow due to the lockdown mania...

polesheep wrote: »
    What I did need was a spare part that someone broke lockdown to get for me. And if I had not been able to repair it myself? One less nurse in the hospital until her car was repaired.

Or you could have had it delivered, you know by the postal service and couriers that have been providing a consistent essential service.

Or you could have used the public transport that still running, because that also an essential service

Do you see were this is going?????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Although I don't think they flock in in their droves to see our world renowned art galleries and museums......

Maybe if we put more effort in to that than marketing drinking we might get somewhere.

There will be opportunities coming out of this to do things differently.

A fresh start.

road_high wrote: »
    None if which are open anyhow due to the lockdown mania...

So whats the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Hey, if your happy the country's only selling point is facilitating Temple Bar for British lager louts and stags or the Guinness Store house as it's main attraction, fair enough.

Some of us have hopes of a higher standard for the country beyond "come here, get drunk".

A catalyst for reinventing the country to how you would like it you mean, everyone else be damned. You've already been talking about how you'd love to see bookies and pubs close permanently. Who cares about all those jobs eh? What's next on your list? No wonder you want the lockdown to continue, misery loves company

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think people (myself included) hoping for an earlier lifting of restrictions should lower their expectations.

I had another look at the phase 2 of the roadmap and I think that there won't be a lot of easing then either - unless there is a dramatic improvement in the numbers - and by dramatic I mean get the new cases to very low double digits/close to single digits.

There are a couple of things that I found interesting and make me think that easing will be very low on June 8th. The roadmap on gov.ie mentions:
    "The advice will be to still avoid unnecessary journeys wherever possible.
    You will be able to travel up to 20 kilometres away from your home as opposed to the 5 kilometre limit which was in place since 5 May."

and
    Small retail outlets can reopen with a small number of staff on the basis that the retailer can control the number of individuals that staff and customers interact with at any one time.

I mean, what is the point of reopening retail stores if you advice avoiding unnecessary journeys and only allow 20 km travelling?
    That's why I think that the list of stores reopening on June 8th won't be very long. Otherwise it will be very difficult to police/enforce it properly and then it would be like there are no restrictions.

Having said that I still plan to break the 20km rule after June 8th and go to Dublin to meet with my friends.

Wouldn't get too hung up on the bull****e details. They’re basically plucked out of Tony’s arse with no scientific or peer basis whatsoever.
    What I’m doing is making the best of what I can do. And definitely not sticking to the distance from home stuff because that’s horse manure. And defo go to Dublin and meet your friends.

RobitTV wrote: »

The increasing minority of people left who are still supporting the lockdown despite a downward trend in cases and deaths -

- People who are now better off receiving the €350 a week while they worked part time before. And prefer to stay at home because of that reason.

-People who are vulnerable to dying
    -People who understand medicine and science
    -People who have lost loved ones

So whats the issue?

You said the op could try those instead of the pub- so if you’re offering those as an alternative to the pub when they’re also closed then there’s kind of a problem. Do you not think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Oh god get over yourself. I'd choose the pubs over a pretentious clown like you any day.

The small minority of posters who have made this thread their home and incestuously thank each other's posts and antagonise others are clearly people exposed in a worrying way to the fallout from the restrictions.

In a way the reaction is understandable.

Everyone is exposed though, some more than others and if you think it's only 'dole heads' or unemployable who want to be very careful about moving forward you are seriously mistaken.

You seem to think this thread represents mainstream public opinion when even mainstream boardsies have abandoned it long back.

It doesn't and I think you'll most people in the cautious camp.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    A catalyst for reinventing the country to how you would like it you mean, everyone else be damned. You've already been talking about how you'd love to see bookies and pubs close permanently. Who cares about all those jobs eh? What's next on your list? No wonder you want the lockdown to continue, misery loves company

We'd probably sit around collecting stamps all day if it was up to him.

We are all vulnerable to dying. I could be killed crossing the road and die.
    I’ve a masters in a scientific discipline. I fully understand that this lockdown is horse manure and why, because I have the ability to analyse things for what they are.
    We’ve all lost loved ones. Why are they less important than covid 19 deaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

If you want to remain inside for the next few months then please be my absolute guest. Because you are free to do as you please.

Meanwhile everyone else will go back to work and earn a living and life will continue.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    We'd probably sit around collecting stamps all day if it was up to him.

Well that would be very covid risky..what if the stamps had been licked? Lethal vectors right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It’s all making sense now, it’s actually an addiction to misery!

It’s like Bane in the Batman film.

“Bane: Oh, you think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! The shadows betray you, because they belong to me!

“You merely adopted lockdown, it betrays you, lockdown belongs to me and my twitchy curtain”

Well that would be very covid risky..what if the stamps had been licked? Lethal vectors right there

True, true the former owner of the stamps may not have social distanced. Actually how do I know that the people here are social distancing while online?

The small minority of posters who have made this thread their home and incestuously thank each other's posts and antagonise others are clearly people exposed in a worrying way to the fallout from the restrictions.

In a way the reaction is understandable.

Everyone is exposed though, some more than others and if you think it's only 'dole heads' or unemployable who want to be very careful about moving forward you are seriously mistaken.

You seem to think this thread represents mainstream public opinion when even mainstream boardsies have abandoned it long back.

It doesn't and I think you'll most people in the cautious camp.

For the bolded part, I reckon the same can be said for both sides of the arguments.
    I follow this thread regularly (although I only post every now and again) and I found today a rather "bad day at the office", very little discussion whatsoever, just people snapping at each other.

We are all vulnerable to dying. I could be killed crossing the road and die.
    I’ve a masters in a scientific discipline. I fully understand that this lockdown is hire manure and why, because I have the ability to analyse things for what they are.
    We’ve all lost loved ones. Why are they less important than covid 19 deaths?

You could be killed crossing the road.

Buts thats why the government have installed pedestrian crossings, traffic lights, speed restrictions, driver training. You know I think you could probably collectively call those things preventative measures to limit the amount of people who die crossing roads.......

Do you want me to spell it out clearer for you, or will you masters in a scientific discipline be able to see how terrible your argument here is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think Leo is softening is cough slightly. Judging by his comments earlier today I think it’s slowly dawning on him that he has the power to make or break a lot of futures here and maybe it’s the first step in him accepting that we can’t drag this on until August. As for Simon, he’s still waffling on with his glib monologues like Fr Purcell in Fr Ted. Does anyone even listen to him anymore?

the kelt wrote: »

“Bane: Oh, you think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! The shadows betray you, because they belong to me!

“You merely adopted lockdown, it betrays you, lockdown belongs to me and my twitchy curtain”

For this Bane reference, you sir should get "post of the day" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Actions speak louder than words. They have not eased rather restricted further.

What?

What are you talking about?

These not going to ease anything yet, they're only 4 days into phase 1. They won't have a sense of whether the transmission rate has fallen or risen for another 7-10 days.

And how have they restricted further? There's more shops open than last week: there's less restrictions.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    For the bolded part, I reckon the same can be said for both sides of the arguments.
    I follow this thread regularly (although I only post every now and again) and I found today a rather "bad day at the office", very little discussion whatsoever, just people snapping at each other.

The aggressiveness is only coming from one side of the fence. They seem to see caution and concern as some sort of infringement upon their rights or something.

I put it down to worry myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

the kelt wrote: »

“You merely adopted lockdown, it betrays you, lockdown belongs to me and my twitchy curtain

I LOL'd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A lot of you don't believe it, but the majority of people outside this thread - in the real world - support the lockdown and easing it gradually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement