Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Or you could have had it delivered, you know by the postal service and couriers that have been providing a consistent essential service.

Or you could have used the public transport that still running, because that also an essential service

Do you see were this is going?????

I know where the car was going, nowhere. The part could not be got without breaking lockdown and there is no bus service that my wife could have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Real life as in reality? Because the reality at the moment is that we can see what is essential and what isn’t.

You can make an argument for May 2019 or May 2021 but in May 2020 there are a lot of people not working because their job is unnecessary in the current situation. That will change once we can lift restrictions, but it is the current reality.

You’re just engaging in pedantic nonsense in a shameful attempt to get a rise out of people who’s livelihoods are being destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭snowcat

You could be killed crossing the road.

Buts thats why the government have installed pedestrian crossings, traffic lights, speed restrictions, driver training. You know I think you could probably collectively call those things preventative measures to limit the amount of people who die crossing roads.......

Do you want me to spell it out clearer for you, or will you masters in a scientific discipline be able to see how terrible your argument here is.

I have a scientific disipline as well. And i would like it spelled out. Since you have used the road deaths analogy. Please explain what sense it would make for Ireland to have completely different strategy on Road Traffic legislation than all their other neighbours in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Arghus wrote: »
    A lot of you don't believe it, but the majority of people outside this thread - in the real world - support the lockdown and easing it gradually.

+1

Without a shadow of a doubt the majority of people in this country want things done in a safe and careful manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A lot of you don't believe it, but the majority of people outside this thread - in the real world - support the lockdown and easing it gradually.

Anyone I have spoken to, family , neighbours, friends support the slow easing but to a man find the 5kms and 20kms restrictions ridiculous .

• Advertisement

+1

Without a shadow of a doubt the majority of people in this country want things done in a safe and careful manner.

That is absolutely correct but we also can see what has worked for our neighbours and are exasperated that our powers that be seem to be ignoring or ignorant of what has happened in other countries. It is obvious that relaxating restrictions expediently and carefully/safely does not lead to a noticable change in cases. Can we in the name of someone holy have a look at what these countries are doing and copy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I'm not questioning the lockdown itself at all and the overwhelming majority agreed with it back in March when it was first announced.

But the timescale of the phased plan that was announced by the government has to be questioned. Do we honestly need a phased plan that lasts until mid August? while the rest of Europe will begin easing restrictions significantly as soon as June.

I'm not saying lets all go in and open up everything tomorrow. That would be irresponsible and risky.

But we need to get the economy moving once again and people need to interact with others again because it's only natural human instinct that we as humans interact with others around us.

Let's protect the elderly and the vulnerable and lets keep social distancing going and get young, healthy individuals back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭crossman47

Our government is destroying businesses. Theyve been at it for months now so hardly surprising.

So a large queue at a store is evidence of government destroying business. Not much logic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

snowcat wrote: »
    I have a scientific disipline as well. And i would like it spelled out. Since you have used the road deaths analogy. Please explain what sense it would make for Ireland to have completely different strategy on Road Traffic legislation than all their other neighbours in the EU.

Do you and your scientific disipline not realize that Ireland and the Rest of the EU countries do not actually have the same road laws.

I hope your not embarrassed by the ridiculous post I had to reply to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

+1

And are the willing to pay the vast costs involved for this so called “safety”? I’m talking massive cuts to welfare and public services. Because this isn’t sone kind of non binary choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You’re just engaging in pedantic nonsense in a shameful attempt to get a rise out of people who’s livelihoods are being destroyed.

No I’m not, what your doing is being unable to put people livelihood secondary to peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

crossman47 wrote: »
    So a large queue at a store is evidence of government destroying business. Not much logic there.

It is if the takings and ability to sell are greatly constrained with higher costs they are. Pretty basic economics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

C__MC wrote: »
    Can the government not fast track counties with low cases to open up quicker?

They can. The emergency legislation has scope for regional variation re lockdown. Its not in the stated plan though I don't think

In other words, they can but its unlikely they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its not the first time a "boards majority" has been completely detached from reality :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

A must-read on the failed logic of the lockdown...

Sunetra Gupta: Covid-19 is on the way out... https://unherd.com/2020/05/oxford-doubles-down-sunetra-gupta-interview/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Can we get a link to that fact please?

Do you and your scientific disipline not realize that Ireland and the Rest of the EU countries do not actually have the same road laws.

I hope your not embarrassed by the ridiculous post I had to reply to.

The EU has broadly similiar road laws. Speed limits are set by different countries as they see fit, similiar to counties in Ireland setting their speed limits on roads as they see fit. Motorways have a set standard. Alcohol similiar levels etc etc. Countries in Europe with the worst road death rates look to better performing countries to see what they are doing right and implement their measures. Can we not do the same for Covid? Now please spell out.

And we are one of the worst performing countries in Europe and a bit of a laughing stock internationally with our glacial lockdown policy so I dont think anyone will be looking to us for advice.

snowcat wrote: »
    The EU has broadly similiar road laws. Speed limits are set by different countries as they see fit, similiar to counties in Ireland setting their speed limits on roads as they see fit. Motorways have a set standard. Alcohol similiar levels etc etc. Countries in Europe with the worst road death rates look to better performing countries to see what they are doing right and implement their measures. Can we not do the same for Covid? Now please spell out.

Countries in Europe also did their own thing throughout this.

When it comes down to it they do what is in their national interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

The aggressiveness is only coming from one side of the fence. They seem to see caution and concern as some sort of infringement upon their rights or something.

I put it down to worry myself.

Says the lad ****ting himself over The imaginary second wave coming in the Autumn.
    I'd say the lockdown has made very little difference to your life as is evident in the way you think it is only preventing people from getting a haircut and driving 100 miles. Some people do more with their day than just refreshing news sites trying to be the first to post some doom-laded update.

Maybe change your name to Hermit.de.Frog.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Says the lad ****ting himself over The imaginary second wave coming in the Autumn.
    I'd say the lockdown has made very little difference to your life as is evident in the way you think it is only preventing people from getting a haircut and driving 100 miles. Some people do more with their day than just refreshing news sites trying to be the first to post some doom-laded update.

Great job showing how the agression isn't one sided :pac:

Or were you actively trying to prove his point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Breezin wrote: »
    A must-read on the failed logic of the lockdown...

Sunetra Gupta: Covid-19 is on the way out... https://unherd.com/2020/05/oxford-doubles-down-sunetra-gupta-interview/
    I'm really not much better informed TBH and it's all about the UK. She says test, we test. She also confirms what Nolan said this evening and as antibody tests have shown elsewhere, very low levels. She also refers to the 1918 Spanish Flu, not a good thing, and then goes on to talk about balance and what's not known.

Jackman25 wrote: »

Nah, I like my name. :cool:

Exhibit A on aggressiveness btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Let's have some positive news:

- Spain’s daily death toll from the coronavirus was 48, its health ministry said on Thursday, marking the first time it has dipped below 50 since 16 March.

- The Greek prime minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, has said that the country’s tourism season will begin on 15 June.

“Let us make this summer the epilogue of the Covid-19 crisis,” he said in a televised address on Wednesday.

Countries in Europe also did their own thing throughout this.

When it comes down to it they do what is in their national interests.

And what is your point? Can we not do something in our national interest? Their national interest has improved. Ours has not and we are losing HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS a week.
    Think about this the childrens hospital would be paid with 6 weeks of continued lockdown from the costs of the lockdown. (Disclaimer Not an audited figure)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭robbiezero

What harm is it that we are world-renowned for our pubs?
    Hey, if your happy the country's only selling point is facilitating Temple Bar for British lager louts and stags or the Guinness Store house as it's main attraction, fair enough.

Some of us have hopes of a higher standard for the country beyond "come here, get drunk".

Maybe this can be a catalyst for reinventing how we market the country.

What a disingenuous response that is. You really are a weaselly poster.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Great job showing how the agression isn't one sided :pac:

Or were you actively trying to prove his point?

What are you scuttering about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

RobitTV wrote: »
    Let's have some positive news:

- Spain’s daily death toll from the coronavirus was 48, its health ministry said on Thursday, marking the first time it has dipped below 50 since 16 March.

- The Greek prime minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, has said that the country’s tourism season will begin on 15 June.

“Let us make this summer the epilogue of the Covid-19 crisis,” he said in a televised address on Wednesday.

But but, they’ve like opened up stuff in those countries more than us haven’t they, I thought yhey were all going to die from opening up early!

Nah, I like my name. :cool:

Exhibit A on aggressiveness btw.

Exhibit all you want. I have never claimed to be a meek poster especially not when I am fed up of reading your spoofery and nonsense every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

the kelt wrote: »
    But but, they’ve like opened up stuff in those countries more than us haven’t they, I thought yhey were all going to die from opening up early!

Only in certain regions of Spain.
    They didn't queue outside McDonald's after lockdown like our idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭crossman47

road_high wrote: »
    It is if the takings and ability to sell are greatly constrained with higher costs they are. Pretty basic economics

A large queue tells me takings will be up. Basic logic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement