Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

This is all taking a very familiar pattern.

Person breaks rules.
    Person justifies breaking rules by downplaying their actual activity and referencing their “struggle” and how much they have sacrificed.
    Person knows more than all the experts that are working on this.
    Person thinks the rules are ridiculous in their particular situation because it didn’t do any harm.

You all keep justifying to yourselves what you are doing if you want to, but the guidelines are in place because peoples Movement needs to be restricted at the moment.

One incident of bending the rules might seem fine, but that’s because the majority can conform.

So you had a nice day up the hill today, what if 200 people decide tommorow it’s ok to go up the hill, and 400 the day after. Is that still ok?

And then one falls, and need medical help, and mountain rescue. Then what, it’s ok for you to put them
    in danger because going for a walk 5km from your own house didn’t suit you?

What the responsible person does is see the 200 on the hill and says think I will go elsewhere today. What is needed is enough of the irresponsible to heed the rules. The responsible will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

RobitTV wrote: »
    So it's ok then to go up the mountains? which is outdoors... :confused:

People are being encouraged to go outdoors.
    They are not encouraged to break the rules.

Was that really difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You can find as many reasons to justify it to yourself as you want but it comes down to one thing. Selfishness.

I was supposed to climb Carrountouhill with a friend a week before the lockdown, cancelled it because of what was happening and a number of vulnerable
    Peopl are at home, Looking forward to doing it soon when the experts tell me I can.

I often cycle my bike 80km, haven’t done that in a long time and the weather is brilliant.

I don’t agree with the rules, but I accept they are there for a reason, and a very good reason, so you keep justifying to yourself what your are doing is ok and hope that this disease doesn’t claim anyone close to you.

Why do you think you’re the only person who has made a personal sacrifice over the last few weeks?
    Everyone here has, in some way or another. People have lost their jobs, not seen their families, missed out on their hobbies & education and put up with the isolation.

There comes a time when you have to say enough is enough and put yourself first.
    If you want to continue suffering in misery you are welcome to it, but you have no right to call another person selfish.
    There is only so much a person can be expected to take, there is no need to make a martyr of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭snowcat

Maybe ask your plumber to wire your sockets the next time as well.

You post some extremely stupid things.

You are the stupidiest person on this planet. If there is a new plumbing problem that no plumber on the planet has worked out a solution for, it may be wise to listen to the plumbers but there is no guarantee the plumbers will have a solution to your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

People are being encouraged to go outdoors.
    They are not encouraged to break the rules.

Was that really difficult?

1. She didn't endanger anyone
    2. She followed social distancing guidelines
    3. This mountain is in Northern Ireland where our "rules" don't apply
    4. She is now feeling mentally much better, is that a bad thing?
    5. I bet you she won't have killed anyone by tomorrow morning by going up a mountain....

• Advertisement

snowcat wrote: »
    You are the stupidiest person on this planet. If there is a new plumbing problem that no plumber on the planet has worked out a solution for, it may be wise to listen to the plumbers but there is no guarantee the plumbers will have a solution to your problem.

Better to ask a plumber than a hairdresser though

Yeah but we are asking Workmen that are not even plumbers. Tony is a doctor not an epidemiologist

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well the hairdressers seem to be better than the health experts at sourcing PPE.

Yeah but we are asking Workmen that are not even plumbers. Tony is a doctor not an epidemiologist

Tony is a figurehead. De gascun is a virologist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I didn’t criticise anyone for going outdoors.

That rant really takes the biscuit for most hysterical post. You've beaten recycling bins spreading the virus to binmen, bottle banks becoming centres of outbreak, cyclists and joggers spreading it. You take the award for most ridiculous post. You beautiful man.

• Advertisement

Tony is a figurehead. De gascun is a virologist

Well the virologist then needs to be answering questions. Not a general doctor.

And preferably it should be an Epidemiologist, not a virologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Drove from Wexford to Glendalough, on to roundwood, newtownmountkennedy and back down the motorway, no check points, surprised, particularly in Laragh.

Beautiful day, spoke to a few other humans during the day, had a nice sambo coming down the road.

There was a fella in an i am Larry t shirt who was taking pics of me and writing in his notebook when I stopped for my sambo which was a bit off putting and twice when I stopped another man was standing with a sandwich board claiming the end was nigh and his right hand was stuck up the arse of an emerald coloured amphibian puppet of some sort.

Apart from that all in all it was a nice day!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

But Tony is our leader. :(

We should be having two updates, the medical update led by de gascun and Nolan, and a overall status update led by...**** knows, don’t know who has the chops for that.. from politicians I would say Coveney, Doherty or Callerey, but they are very much the tallest dwarfs.

What the responsible person does is see the 200 on the hill and says think I will go elsewhere today. What is needed is enough of the irresponsible to heed the rules. The responsible will be grand

What the responsible person does is wait a few weeks. Mountains are more than likely not going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What the responsible person does is wait a few weeks. Mountains are more than likely not going anywhere.

She already said she had been completely alone for 10 weeks. 10 weeks! Sounds like a very responsible person to me. Is that not long enough? Why would you begrudge a person spending time outdoors (where there is no evidence that any significant transmission happens anyway) when she said that she was socially distant from her companion and others the whole time. There is little or no risk from that. Get a grip.

You do know the rules are there because a significant minority cannot be trusted to be responsible, not because stuff like not driving 6km or not going for a walk in the mountains actually achieves anything?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Why do you think you’re the only person who has made a personal sacrifice over the last few weeks?
    Everyone here has, in some way or another. People have lost their jobs, not seen their families, missed out on their hobbies & education and put up with the isolation.

There comes a time when you have to say enough is enough and put yourself first.
    If you want to continue suffering in misery you are welcome to it, but you have no right to call another person selfish.
    There is only so much a person can be expected to take, there is no need to make a martyr of yourself.

The second is actually the definition of the former.

I’ve sacrificed plenty, never said anything that remotely suggests I’m the only one, but I have the capacity and maturity to realize that things are for the greater good.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    She already said she had been completely alone for 10 weeks. 10 weeks! Sounds like a very responsible person to me. Is that not long enough? Why would you begrudge a person spending time outdoors (where there is no evidence that any significant transmission happens anyway) when she said that she was socially distant from her companion and others the whole time. There is little or no risk from that. Get a grip.

Asked and answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

Eh. ever heard of erosion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Get that man a gold star!

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    That rant really takes the biscuit for most hysterical post. You've beaten recycling bins spreading the virus to binmen, bottle banks becoming centres of outbreak, cyclists and joggers spreading it. You take the award for most ridiculous post. You beautiful man.

That’s the first accurate thing you have posted in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

In the supermarket tonight. About 5% wearing masks.

Good to see the majority of people don't buy into the over hyped nonsense.

gw80 wrote: »
    Eh. ever heard of erosion?

I’ve been dealing with massively eroded intelligence around here for a while, does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Because he is the self-appointed king of the mountains

You do know the rules are there because a significant minority cannot be trusted to be responsible, not because stuff like not driving 6km or not going for a walk in the mountains actually achieves anything?

and you do know that if everyone is allows to make up their own version of the rules things will get out of hand very quickly

In the supermarket tonight. About 5% wearing masks.

Good to see the majority of people don't buy into the over hyped nonsense.

I am here arguing against both extremes, wearing a mask in an enclosed environment is not nonsense, it is choice however, not going 6 km from your home for some socially distant interaction or exercise is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd tend to think wearing a mask at this time demonstrates respect toward others around you regardless of what one thinks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

That’s the first accurate thing you have posted in this thread.

It's one more accurate thing than you've come out with that's for sure

• Advertisement

and you do know that if everyone is allows to make up their own version of the rules things will get out of hand very quickly

That’s why behaviour that doesn’t add risk should be tolerated, or at least ignored, while risky behaviour is challenged. If you challenge the person alone, 6km from home, very quickly respect for the behaviour that we actually need be to engaged with will be lost

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement