Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

Representative from IBEC just after being on Virgin media absolutely slated the reopening plan and the caretaker government. Haven't heard anyone from IBEC speaking that strongly before

representative from IBEC == Gemma bot? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

growleaves wrote: »
    representative from IBEC == Gemma bot? :confused:

Anyone that doesn’t want to lockdown foreva is a Gemma bot now it seems

Stark wrote: »
    I was thinking, at least the lockdown saved the lives of some secondary students in Clondalkin who would have been hit by a helicopter door falling from the sky had they been in school.

#Covidgains !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Everyone who wants the phased plan to be accelerated is now a right wing, Trump / Gemma supporting bot extremist.

We can't even begin to ask questions about the phased plan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Just looked at the Oxford professor’s video. Thanks for uploading it to this thread and saving me time looking for it.
    For anyone that doesn’t have the 30 minutes plus to spare she made some interesting points:
    1. Epidemic follows the same pattern in a lot of countries and dies out
    2. Certain populations may be more vulnerable to the infection than others for various reasons - age, obesity, etc.
    3. Lockdown weakens the immune system long term
    4. The R0 isn’t an accurate measure of why we should keep restrictions, deaths and hospital capacity should be the measure.
    5. Antibody testing is useful but tests are inaccurate to date.
    6. Some people’s immune system seem to have resistance to the virus & they develop an innate response & dispose of it quickly. These people don’t develop antibodies. (She’s studying whether exposure to other coronaviruses can give some of this immunity)
    7. Her own personal estimate of the death rate is 0.05%

She did say this was her theory, and that others out there will have different views and opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

road_high wrote: »

Nobody wants lockdown forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Who are these posters or people for that matter who want to lock down forever?

Tell us who they are. Show us the posts.

This is a load of nonsense. You are seeing things that don't exist.

Arghus wrote: »
    Nobody wants lockdown forever.

You’d think. But I’ve seen “we need to do this until a vaccine is found” too many times to count them all. Taken to its logical conclusion that does mean lockdown forever

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Essential no, a lot of what dentist do is routine and cosmetic, some of their work is essential but not all of it, and construction is the same, aspects of it are essential to survival, but not all of it.

Is someone’s house gets delayed in building for 3 months nobody will die. If someone’s doesn’t get braces until the end of the year it’s not curtains.

So essential no.

Dentists aren't essential?

https://www.facebook.com/81985202121/posts/10158562073187122/

People in the UK are piling out their own painful teeth with pliers in because they couldn't access a dentist...

You’d think. But I’ve seen “we need to do this until a vaccine is found” too many times to count them all. Taken to its logical conclusion that does mean lockdown forever

I have never seen anyone anywhere say that.

• Advertisement

Who has said that? I've never heard anyone say that and I'm about a dogged a defender of the lockdown as you'll get in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

RobitTV wrote: »
    Everyone who wants the phased plan to be accelerated is now a right wing, Trump / Gemma supporting bot extremist.

We can't even begin to ask questions about the phased plan now.

That is some bizarre stuff. Who are these people preventing you?

I personally would like the later phases to be accelerated (if possible), but I don't feel like a bot or that someone is going to tell me I can't think that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Leaving Cert is an absolute mess.

I remember my own time in school. The majority of teachers were counting the days to retirement with little motivation. You'd have more chance of picking an accurate grade out of a lucky bag than them getting it right. That and the fact every teacher has favoured students.

The easiest and fairest solution at this stage is to let it go ahead in its normal format. Community transmission is now almost 0.

At the very least it should have been opt in/opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

'No such thing as free money’ - Taoiseach warns Covid-19 borrowings have to be repaid"

Is this actually news to you? He actually said similar in his address to the nation on the 17th of March. Did you miss that?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Leaving Cert is an absolute mess.

I remember my own time in school. The majority of teachers were counting the days to retirement with little motivation. You'd have more chance of picking an accurate grade out of a lucky bag than them getting it right. That and the fact every teacher has favoured students.

The easiest and fairest solution at this stage is to let it go ahead in its normal format. Community transmission is now almost 0.

At the very least it should have been opt in/opt out.

The headbangers ensured it would be cancelled. Killing grannies etc. Much more powerful than any logic

Polar101 wrote: »
    That is some bizarre stuff. Who are these people preventing you?

I personally would like the later phases to be accelerated (if possible), but I don't feel like a bot or that someone is going to tell me I can't think that way.

I am personally not being prevented from discussing this subject.

But those who don't support this phased plan are being labelled as "Gemma bot" or "Trump supporter"

While literally close to everyone on here wants nothing to do with these people. We just want a debate about the plan without being looked down on as stupid or moronic.

Arghus wrote: »
    Who has said that? I've never heard anyone say that and I'm about a dogged a defender of the lockdown as you'll get in here.

I saw a poster say they wouldn’t send their kids back to school until a vaccine is found.

There was also a poster that said young people will have to give sex a miss until a vaccine is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Just looked at the Oxford professor’s video. Thanks for uploading it to this thread and saving me time looking for it.
    For anyone that doesn’t have the 30 minutes plus to spare she made some interesting

3. Lockdown weakens the immune system long term

HA! Really now? How is that? People can go outside in a watered down lockdown. Unless working in an office is beneficial to the old immune system?

I saw a poster say they wouldn’t send their kids back to school until a vaccine is found.

There was also a poster that said young people will have to give sex a miss until a vaccine is in place.

I don't think those views represent the views held by most people who believe that we shouldn't rush into lifting restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

fr336 wrote: »
    HA! Really now? How is that? People can go outside in a watered down lockdown. Unless working in an office is beneficial to the old immune system?

Well being out in the world exposed to viruses and bacteria toughens the immune system and builds immunity. If you got sick every time you were exposed to a virus or bacteria in everyday life you'd spend more time sick than not.

• Advertisement

Sounds like posts designed to wind up if they exist. No one takes that stuff seriously.

And no one has called for 'lock down forever'.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well being out in the world exposed to viruses and bacteria toughens the immune system and builds immunity. If you got sick every time you were exposed to a virus or bacteria in everyday life you'd spend more time sick than not.

I'm Dougal McGuire and I stand corrected .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Dentists aren't essential?

https://www.facebook.com/81985202121/posts/10158562073187122/

People in the UK are piling out their own painful teeth with pliers in because they couldn't access a dentist...

Did you miss the word “some”.

No problem for me.

The new cases in Ireland grew by (0.31%) today
    Deaths grew by (0.76%)

So the government are somehow going to keep trying to convince people "we aren't there yet" or "the worst is not over" to literally force people to remain inside while the virus transmission within the community is now non-existent.

How is this possible. Why should the economic and social suicide continue for this tiny growth rate which has been stable for two weeks now and is still very much in decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Did you miss the word “some”.

Trust me if you had a bad enough toothache or any sort of damage you'd do anything for a dentist. I really don't see how any sane person can believe dentists aren't necessary other than sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Were the only country in the world that loves their kids and grandparents. We love our kids so much we're going to saddle them with reams of debt and laugh it off.

Are they the same (only slightly younger) kids that were going to be saddled with debt in the crash of '08? We were supposedly going to pay that off for generations. Haven't heard much about that in the past ten years.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Conte..

Trust me if you had a bad enough toothache or any sort of damage you'd do anything for a dentist. I really don't see how any sane person can believe dentists aren't necessary other than sour grapes.
    are the dentists back?

some fukkup that the government ignored the whole thing

Sane being the operative word here I think. You won’t find much of that from certain posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Penfailed wrote: »
    Are they the same (only slightly younger) kids that were going to be saddled with debt in the crash of '08? We were supposedly going to pay that off for generations. Haven't heard much about that in the past ten years.

You clearly missed all the posters here who mentioned numerous times them being priced out of the property market due to 08 consequences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement