Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I think as many people as possible should lobby TD's and elected officials at this stage.

Have you? I suggested this weeks ago on here to all those that were clearly upset with the roadmap. It seemingly fell on deaf ears.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,623 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Penfailed wrote: »
    Have you? I suggested this weeks ago on here to all those that were clearly upset with the roadmap. It seemingly fell on deaf ears.

As with most revolutions organised on boards. Once you step outside of the initial thread its total silence.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Ah here.
    You haven't heard much about austerity for the last 10 years?
    What do you think has been the main cause of the housing, education, public transport, health crises, rural stagnation etc.
    The crash of 2008 will reverberate for many years to come.

All I've heard in this thread is that the economy has been booming with great GDP numbers and now we're screwed.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Many people now have the idea that everything is fine and the Government/Nphet doing a very good job. And in many ways they did do a good job, but getting us out is still way too slow - that is the big problem for many here.

I think that pressure on politicians is beginning to bear fruit. The narrative in the last week has changed to the economy and there have been more references to mental health issues etc. However, two key Ministers are hopelessly out of their depth on this one (Harris and Humphreys).

We have had two ridiculous situations this week with the “two hour limit” (thankfully addressed quickly) and the warnings that DIY is only for absolutely essential cases (the economy is either opening or not) - a better message here would be to have appealed to common sense.

They are also seeing the downsides of project fear on the way back up where interest groups will be highlighting safety and this is where we are going to have big challenges. Are people prepared for a massive increase in the cost of childcare and limited capacity? Are people prepared for blended learning in schools whereby children go in every second day and remotely join for the other day - which parent will be staying at home? Are offices prepared to take away desks? Are there HR protocols in place to send people home, or insist on testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/our-warped-sense-of-perspective-bodes-ill-for-ireland-s-economy-1.4259285

Lockdown was the right thing to do, unquestionably and was done well.

But this drawn out easing of restrictions makes no sense to me, people say oh we might be able to move quicker through it, we won’t, we all know that, we couldn’t even fully start phase one.

So why does ours have to be so much longer than everyone else? Nit just even a bit longer, a lot longer? Let’s see how everyone else is going isn’t actually an answer, it’s a cowardly excuse or are we just obsessed with not being able to think for ourselves which is becoming increasing evident and worrying.

He’s right in particular in regards to the 2nd last paragraph, some can’t get enough of the lockdown, they really can’t, you can see it in their posts, straight away revert to the worst case scenario and not that it may happen it will happen, that existence must be miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Doctors push Trump to quickly reopen country in letter organized by conservatives
    Gold wrote the shutdown has adversely impacted Americans due to missed cancer screenings, canceled dental appointments and spikes in mental health problems.

“We are alarmed at what appears to be the lack of consideration for the future health of our patients. The downstream health effects of deteriorating a level are being massively under-estimated and under-reported. This is an order of magnitude error,” the letter says.

“The millions of casualties of a continued shutdown will be hiding in plain sight, but they will be called alcoholism, homelessness, suicide, heart attack, stroke, or kidney failure,” it says. “In youths it will be called financial instability, unemployment, despair, drug addiction, unplanned pregnancies, poverty, and abuse.”

While I can’t access the full article the headline says it all- Gardaí warn new Covid rules can’t be enforced.
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-warn-new-covid-rules-cant-be-enforced-39225512.html

We can’t be molly coddled forever- it’s about time society takes personal responsibility - we’ve been advised often enough what to do - we can’t rely totally on the Gardaí and why should we?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Trust me if you had a bad enough toothache or any sort of damage you'd do anything for a dentist. I really don't see how any sane person can believe dentists aren't necessary other than sour grapes.

So we agree on something, they are necessary for certain things, but a lot of the work dentist do isn’t essential to the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

the kelt wrote: »
    Lockdown was the right thing to do, unquestionably and was done well.

But this drawn out easing of restrictions makes no sense to me, people say oh we might be able to move quicker through it, we won’t, we all know that, we couldn’t even fully start phase one.

I don't think there's much point in delaying stages after the third one, if the situation is pretty much under control at the time.

Not even Varadkar rules that out completely.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0521/1139726-varadkar-covid-roadmap/
    "Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said phases in the road map for reopening society and business will only be fast-tracked if the data says it is "safe to do so"."

I think it will also depend on how long it takes for the new government to be formed.. so far it's taking bloody ages, but the talks can't go on for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

RobitTV wrote: »
    Well wouldn't it be nice to know why and how taxpayers money is spent?

The only people who will be disagreeing with what i just said is those getting the 350 euro a week who were getting paid less before.

Its as much a bribe as it is a welfare payment. To maintain support for the lockdown.

So the usual objections to welfare spending don't really apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

How do you know? Did you expect to cc'ed on peoples email to TDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The article in the Independent this morning highlights the Gardai having to turn back people who booked a round of golf living for eg. living 6km away from the club instead of 5, it also says the new regulations are not enforceable, and are more guidelines. Not sure why that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

So we agree on something, they are necessary for certain things, but a lot of the work dentist do isn’t essential to the current climate.

Oh god, just think whatever you want.

Glad you suggested it then, I remember reading it, it was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: @Kermit.de.frog - this would be a very good time to remember that your account is still on probation. Quit the smartarsery.

Still on probation? After 5 years and almost 15K posts. What did he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It seems that the Taoiseach was knocked back again yesterday by the “Government” on his idea that may some parts of the plan could be fast tracked....the numbers again are the problem. Please bear in mind less 2000 people in the country have the virus.

Prof Nolan said efforts to suppress the disease had largely been successful, with the reproduction number estimated to be between 0.45 and 0.63. This is an estimate of how many people an infected person will pass the virus onto.
    “Indicators of the disease are very good, with all major indicators either declining or stable,” Prof Nolan said. However, he warned that an increase in the R number would see a rapid escalation of cases. He said the average number of new cases per day had fallen from 559 on April 16th to 72 yesterday, while the numbers in hospital, averaged over the previous five days, had fallen from 865 to 380.

Supported
    Asked about comments by the Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, that some measures could be fast tracked if the data supported such a decision, Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn said such a move was possible but added: “I’m not seeing anything in particular that would lead me to believe that we would markedly change from the general direction of that roadmap.”

He said if people stop adhering to public health advice, “there is always a risk that things could go in the opposite direction . . . it is very important people do not become complacent.The R number is very finely balanced at any point in time. It would not take much at all to go from 0.5 to 1.5 and have us right back where we were two weeks ago.””

Dr Glynn said NPHET would on Friday discuss measures to help children and parents, but would not be drawn on the detail of the schemes.

So Dr Glynn and NPHET are going to start discussing measures that will effect many parents in the country but doesn't feel the need to let the country know what these grand plans are. That right there is everything that is wrong about this current situation condensed down into a single sentence.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    So Dr Glynn and NPHET are going to start discussing measures that will effect many parents in the country but doesn't feel the need to let the country know what these grand plans are. That right there is everything that is wrong about this current situation condensed down into a single sentence.

Exactly, what are they discussing and why? Have they any highly qualified people who work with children discussing with them? Or will it be the case once again...sure they’re only children, they’ll go along with whatever we suggest...
    I’ve said it so many times on this thread, the impact this time will have on children is going to be huge. Think of 8 weeks and counting for a young child, think of how long that seems to them and how this will impact their development as a result.
    The icing on the cake re damage to our children will be if they start will all this absolute nonsense in September of pods, social distancing, no consistent teacher, it’s completely unworkable.
    It was heartbreaking to see some meet this week and hear of their loneliness during this time, their utter joy at being given an hour with a playmate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Oh god, just think whatever you want.

If some narcissist doesn’t get their teeth whitened for a few months the world won’t stop spinning.

Dentists should probably have been told that they can open for emergency Essential procedures only under strict protocols but there is nobody to enforce it and compliance and insurance would have been an issue.

Glad you suggested it then, I remember reading it, it was a good idea.

So...have you? All those on this thread castigating the current caretaker government are screaming into the void unless they actually do something about it. Lobbying elected reps would appear to be the best/only way to do it. Spouting off on Boards for 'thanks' achieves nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

So...have you? All those on this thread castigating the current caretaker government are screaming into the void unless they actually do something about it. Lobbying elected reps would appear to be the best/only way to do it. Spouting off on Boards for 'thanks' achieves nothing.

It is actually one of the strengths of our political system that our politicians are quite responsive. And they do take account of what people are writing to them about. This issue is sensitive as it could be political suicide to go against medical advice. That is the easy option. But if enough people are highlighting issues particularly in respect to other health issues and the economy the politicians have a degree of cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

US has recorded 1,286 deaths yesterday from covid.

Population of 331,000,000.

Covid is indeed on the way out, not because of lockdowns, not because of law enforcement breaking up groups of 3 or 4 people or people aged 5-55 are staying at home as much as possible, but because of hand washing, social distancing and more importantly change in human behaviour.

It is actually one of the strengths of our political system that our politicians are quite responsive. And they do take account of what people are writing to them about. This issue is sensitive as it could be political suicide to go against medical advice. That is the easy option. But if enough people are highlighting issues particularly in respect to other health issues and the economy the politicians have a degree of cover.

Yep! That's why I suggested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

These are the f*ing people we should clap for

"Kerry consultants resign from Covid-19 deal

At least nine consultants at a private hospital in Co Kerry have tendered resignation letters from the HSE’s short-term Covid-19 contract over their disquiet at how the State’s takeover of such hospitals has panned out.

It is thought that many private consultants across the country are unhappy with the situation due to low hospital occupancy and problems with continuity of care for private patients, and are now moving to express their dissatisfaction in more concrete terms."

It sends a message to the Department of Health that if they were thinking of extending this thing until Christmas, then none of these consultants would be involved,” the doctor said."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/kerry-consultants-resign-from-covid-19-deal-1001041.html

Who can possibly support this lockdown or this incompetent government anymore?? They did good job? Would you wake up and smell the coffee.

Leo & Co will go down as the worst decision makers this country ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

This cannot continue all the way till August. Is Leo or anyone willing to even give us some more information about what needs to happen for the acceleration of the phased plan to take place? we have made a huge amount of progress and i don't understand what level they will be satisfied with anymore.

The time has come for people to speak out and contact local TD's on email, facebook and calling them. We need hundreds of people to do this per constituency. We need people to start speaking with friends and family and try to give people the facts instead of the scaremongering stories that you hear daily.

We can't sit here twiddling our thumbs until August. The game is up.

We were all laughing at the folks int the US protesting lockdowns now it looks like we're all going to join them. Nearly everyone sneering at them a while back on here.

Nah. I'll not be joining...and it doesn't look like we all will. This thread is a bit of an echo chamber. There are very few dissenting voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Good read... it seems that the NPHET wants to introduce even more severe measures, effectively locking up anyone arriving in the State... when will common sense prevail???

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/our-warped-sense-of-perspective-bodes-ill-for-ireland-s-economy-1.4259285

'This week, it emerged that Holohan has advised the Government to plan for the future involuntary detention for two weeks of any returning Irish travellers from abroad, in case they import a case of coronavirus.'

Holohan didn’t call it involuntary detention. Instead, in his May 8th letter, he called for “a mandatory regime of self-isolation for 14 days at a designated facility for all persons arriving . . . from overseas”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nah. I'll not be joining...and it doesn't look like we all will. This thread is a bit of an echo chamber. There are very few dissenting voices.

Would agree with this unfortunately. Ireland is not a nation of dissenting voices. When you see how the church ran the country for much of the 20th century in Ireland is it really any surprise to see the lack of any dissenting voices over how the country economically and socially is being ran into the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

GocRh wrote: »
    Good read... it seems that the NPHET wants to introduce even more severe measures, effectively locking up anyone arriving in the State... when will common sense prevail???

'This week, it emerged that Holohan has advised the Government to plan for the future involuntary detention for two weeks of any returning Irish travellers from abroad, in case they import a case of coronavirus.'

Holohan didn’t call it involuntary detention. Instead, in his May 8th letter, he called for “a mandatory regime of self-isolation for 14 days at a designated facility for all persons arriving . . . from overseas”

It seems that he has decided that there is no Covid-19 in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

This is just incredible. We are actually turning into China, and what's most worrying is, people love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

This surely has to be the final straw. Utter nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement