Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

GocRh wrote: »
    Good read... it seems that the NPHET wants to introduce even more severe measures, effectively locking up anyone arriving in the State... when will common sense prevail???

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/our-warped-sense-of-perspective-bodes-ill-for-ireland-s-economy-1.4259285

'This week, it emerged that Holohan has advised the Government to plan for the future involuntary detention for two weeks of any returning Irish travellers from abroad, in case they import a case of coronavirus.'

Holohan didn’t call it involuntary detention. Instead, in his May 8th letter, he called for “a mandatory regime of self-isolation for 14 days at a designated facility for all persons arriving . . . from overseas”

This surely has to be the final straw. Utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Good read... it seems that the NPHET wants to introduce even more severe measures, effectively locking up anyone arriving in the State... when will common sense prevail???

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/our-warped-sense-of-perspective-bodes-ill-for-ireland-s-economy-1.4259285

'This week, it emerged that Holohan has advised the Government to plan for the future involuntary detention for two weeks of any returning Irish travellers from abroad, in case they import a case of coronavirus.'

Holohan didn’t call it involuntary detention. Instead, in his May 8th letter, he called for “a mandatory regime of self-isolation for 14 days at a designated facility for all persons arriving . . . from overseas”

fly in and out of belfast - problem solved ;)

the man might have been the person to implement lockdown but he seems out of his depth in unlocking

once the 20km rule comes in i can cross the border and go where i want !

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

fly in and out of belfast - problem solved ;)

the man might have been the person to implement lockdown but he seems out of his depth in unlocking

once the 20km rule comes in i can cross the border and go where i want !

Wouldn't the UK require self-isolation in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Holohan is an absolute joke. The government and cabinet need to get a grip and a backbone and stop hanging on his every word like he is some sort of sacred cow.

He if anybody is the one who does not live in reality.

manniot2 wrote: »
    This is just incredible. We are actually turning into China, and what's most worrying is, people love it!

Seems to be worse than China. Hong Kong did not require detention in a state facility, I believe mainland China simply closed the border and kept a strict tracing regime for repatriations.

The timing is just absurd as well, travel restrictions made sense 2 months ago. Where was Mr Holohan hiding 2 months ago?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't the UK require self-isolation in that case?

Ireland, with other Common Travel Area jurisdictions, is exempt from UK quarantine rules to be announced today

And if a mandatory quarantine in a state facility was introduced here, I’d guess that flights to Belfast would suddenly get very busy. And very expensive

No, Ireland is exempt from UK quarantine rules

Arrivals FROM Ireland are exempt. Anyone arriving from the continent to the UK (British and Irish included) are required to isolate.

Arrivals FROM Ireland are exempt. Anyone arriving from the continent to the UK (British and Irish included) are required to isolate.

Is that not what I said? Ireland, not ‘the Irish’

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

RobitTV wrote: »
    Holohan is a absolute joke. The government and cabinet need to get a grip and a backbone and stop hanging on his every word like he is some sort of sacred cow.

He if anybody is the one who does not live in reality.

It's just one track mind, tunnel vision with him and his team. The collateral damage is an irrelevance to them and they are backed up by that clown Harris. In fairness to Leo, I think he has more appreciation of the damage being caused, he just lacks the backbone to go against the doctors and politically its working out well for him the longer we stay in this "all in it together" phase.

Is that not what I said? Ireland, not ‘the Irish’

The OP suggested flying to Belfast (I'm assuming from the continent) to get around quarantine rules in the Republic. My response was in relation to flying to Belfast from the continent and making it south into the Republic thus avoiding quarantine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

It's just one track mind, tunnel vision with him and his team. The collateral damage is an irrelevance to them and they are backed up by that clown Harris. In fairness to Leo, I think he has more appreciation of the damage being caused, he just lacks the backbone to go against the doctors and politically its working out well for him the longer we stay in this "all in it together" phase.

If that mandatory incarceration is brought in we'll be pariahs in the EU. It also raises a lot of questions surely? I mean is that a Pandora's box you want to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

actually looks like the uk is going to implement a 14 day quarantine for any arriving by air,sea and rail, although i cant see that lasting as the uk realise other european ecomomies open up their tourist economies and britain will be losing out

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-priti-patel-quarantine-uk-a9527486.html

and pritti patels policies do seem to disappear after been announced (NHS migrant charge anyone)

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    If that mandatory incarceration is brought in we'll be pariahs in the EU. It also raises a lot of questions surely? I mean is that a Pandora's box you want to open?

If that happens I'll request asylum in the continent :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The OP suggested flying to Belfast (I'm assuming from the continent) to get around quarantine rules in the Republic. My response was in relation to flying to Belfast from the continent and making it south into the Republic thus avoiding quarantine.
    Except that the UK will be quarantining people too. So it's quarantine the UK and then go to Ireland or just Ireland. So it might depend on where you have to quarantine within those countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

This guy poses a far greater danger to our way of life than Covid-19 ever did.

When are the media going to start calling out this bullsh;t?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Thankfully the guy in the Irishtimes did. But you wont hear a word from RTE or Virgin Media, not while the public are painting superman murals of the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

These are the f*ing people we should clap for

"Kerry consultants resign from Covid-19 deal

At least nine consultants at a private hospital in Co Kerry have tendered resignation letters from the HSE’s short-term Covid-19 contract over their disquiet at how the State’s takeover of such hospitals has panned out.

It is thought that many private consultants across the country are unhappy with the situation due to low hospital occupancy and problems with continuity of care for private patients, and are now moving to express their dissatisfaction in more concrete terms."

It sends a message to the Department of Health that if they were thinking of extending this thing until Christmas, then none of these consultants would be involved,” the doctor said."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/kerry-consultants-resign-from-covid-19-deal-1001041.html

Who can possibly support this lockdown or this incompetent government anymore?? They did good job? Would you wake up and smell the coffee.

Leo & Co will go down as the worst decision makers this country ever had

If you have ever been treated by a consultant in this country you will know that this decision, like almost all their decisions are motivated by financial motives.. Many consultants are one of the top reasons For the issues we have with healthcare in this country, keeping waiting lists long, treating private patients in public hospitals and charging upwards of 200 euros What is often a five minute consult, all while for some strange reason they only take cash, I wonder why that could be.

If consultants have resigned from this it’s to line their own pockets a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Thankfully the guy in the Irishtimes did. But you wont hear a word from RTE or Virgin Media, not while the public are painting superman murals of the guy.

Slowly, very slowly, critical articles are beginning to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Leo & Co will go down as the worst decision makers this country ever had

Unfortunately not possible as they’re unable to make any decisions with the fear that the might be held responsible for said decisions even though that’s part of their handsomely remunerated job.

Instead they are happy to hide behind the” we were advised “ by NPHET and Dr Tony CMO.

The CMO and NPHET in turn say when pushed on any decisions say we only give the advice to the government

This all leads to our current restrictions and stalemate with lifting these restrictions ending up as what we face now eg 3 months to reopen the country and the wait and see game so nobody will ever be in danger of being responsible for any decisions at all. :rolleyes:

US has recorded 1,286 deaths yesterday from covid.

Population of 331,000,000.

Covid is indeed on the way out, not because of lockdowns, not because of law enforcement breaking up groups of 3 or 4 people or people aged 5-55 are staying at home as much as possible, but because of hand washing, social distancing and more importantly change in human behaviour.

So the lockdowns didn’t do anything. Good one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

If you have ever been treated by a consultant in this country you will know that this decision, like almost all their decisions are motivated by financial motives.. Many consultants are one of the top reasons For the issues we have with healthcare in this country, keeping waiting lists long, treating private patients in public hospitals and charging upwards of 200 euros What is often a five minute consult, all while for some strange reason they only take cash, I wonder why that could be.

If consultants have resigned from this it’s to line their own pockets a bit more.

I think you would be surprised at the number of dedicated consultants in this country whose prime motivation is the health and well-being of their patients. As for the cash insinuation, the fact that every patient can make a claim against their taxes for medical expenses makes a nonsense of your thinly veiled accusation of tax evasion.

The IT have picked it up, it's on their front page and most people commenting seem to share the same opinion we see on this thread...
    Better late than never?
    I'll write to my TD if there's any indication this will become government policy. I suggest we all reach out to our TDs to voice our concerns.
    A legal challenge might be in order as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Penfailed wrote: »
    Nah. I'll not be joining...and it doesn't look like we all will. This thread is a bit of an echo chamber. There are very few dissenting voices.

Im not so sure about the Echo chamber part, theres a growing frustration at the length of the restrictions amongst the public its just people are afraid to speak for fear of condemnation, its PC to the enth degree but thats changing.

Sure theres still that hang on from old catholic Ireland where one just doesnt question and follows religously, that psyche still exists, you see it here, thats the rules now do not question!!

But for example i noticed on twitter this morning when Simon Harris tweeted about Complacency and its practically all replies questioning whats going on, everything from lack of cancer screenings to the 5k/20k restrictions etc etc whereas previously when ive seen replies to his tweets it was generally about how they were doing a great job, keep going etc etc.

The mood is changing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Something is up because it doesnt seem to spread easily at all for a virus lauded as extremely contagious

Its been around since November and infected less than 5% of population in most countries worldwide 6 months later.

But then every man, woman and child had the flu going around at Christmas, yet Covid19 was supposedly many times more contagious than a flu

They've overlooked something these scientists with Covid that's for sure

I know 1 guy that had it, had no symptoms and infected none of his family members, 3 kids, wife, his colleagues, residents, this guy is loud, talks alot

They were all tested anyway, as he works in nursing home and all negative except him

I would be confident they dont have antibodies either if they were tested

Either the test he got was a false positive, Covid19 isn't that contagious or alot of people have a hidden immunity that they cant test for currently

Something is up that's for sure

You want to be very naive to think our half assed lockdown could stop a supposedly novel contagious virus with no immunity in its tracks lol

I've emboldened the bit that makes the rest of what you typed somewhat dubious.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

polesheep wrote: »
    I think you would be surprised at the number of dedicated consultants in this country whose prime motivation is the health and well-being of their patients. As for the cash insinuation, the fact that every patient can make a claim against their taxes for medical expenses makes a nonsense of your thinly veiled accusation of tax evasion.

Well he doesn't think dentists are necessary along with the majority of the workforce so what were you expecting?

polesheep wrote: »

If your deluded enough to think consultants primary motivation is the well being of patients then explain why they don’t make an effort to reduce the waiting times of public patients while they take the private direct fee paying patients on board first.

The tax claim a patient can make once they have reached a high threshold is irrelevant to consultants still refusing to use credit / debit card facilities. You can buy a slice of pizza at the side of the road and pay electronically, it’s obvious why they don’t want that.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well he doesn't think dentists are necessary along with the majority of the workforce so what were you expecting?

That’s the third time you have reported falsely what I have said about dentists. Can you not understand small words?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Find it ridiculous that Glendalough is closed for the bank holiday weekend. Walking up a mountain shouldn't be restricted if you're keeping social distancing. Government needs to start opening up parks and other open air spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Again Dr Tony said this Dr Tony said that.

But once again the mans too late with his recommendations/expert advice

Late like the nursing homes and late because this was what should have happened when the virus was just beginning to escalate here and not when we’re trying to get back on our feet.

But he can use his new favourite phrase now to justify everything “second wave “ Leo and co will lap it up and run with it.

Maybe soon we might get a few decisions made before something occurs rather than reactive decision making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

the kelt wrote: »
    Im not so sure about the Echo chamber part, theres a growing frustration at the length of the restrictions amongst the public its just people are afraid to speak for fear of condemnation, its PC to the enth degree but thats changing.

Sure theres still that hang on from old catholic Ireland where one just doesnt question and follows religously, that psyche still exists, you see it here, thats the rules now do not question!!

But for example i noticed on twitter this morning when Simon Harris tweeted about Complacency and its practically all replies questioning whats going on, everything from lack of cancer screenings to the 5k/20k restrictions etc etc whereas previously when ive seen replies to his tweets it was generally about how they were doing a great job, keep going etc etc.

The mood is changing

Oh yes, the mood is changing...somewhat. There's no appetite for US style anti-lockdown protests which is what I was replying to though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement