Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

That’s the third time you have reported falsely what I have said about dentists. Can you not understand small words?

Well you clearly don't understand how public services are run so you're one to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Penfailed wrote: »
    Oh yes, the mood is changing...somewhat. There's no appetite for US style anti-lockdown protests which is what I was replying to though.

Oh God no, you're right. Which in my opinion is a good thing, the thing is it shouldnt need to come to that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

US CDC warns of COVID flare up in the Autumn

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/us-health-agency-director-warns-of-coronavirus-flare-up-this-autumn-1.4259160%3fmode=amp

Brazil incidentally hit a new record of 1,188 deaths yesterday and that's only those recorded properly.

if this was going to happen surely watching australia/ new zealand who are heading into there winter is the place to watch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GocRh wrote: »
    Good read... it seems that the NPHET wants to introduce even more severe measures, effectively locking up anyone arriving in the State... when will common sense prevail???

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/our-warped-sense-of-perspective-bodes-ill-for-ireland-s-economy-1.4259285

'This week, it emerged that Holohan has advised the Government to plan for the future involuntary detention for two weeks of any returning Irish travellers from abroad, in case they import a case of coronavirus.'

Holohan didn’t call it involuntary detention. Instead, in his May 8th letter, he called for “a mandatory regime of self-isolation for 14 days at a designated facility for all persons arriving . . . from overseas”
    That's a complete political non-runner and you could get into stupidly huge numbers "detained" very quickly.

if this was going to happen surely watching australia/ new zealand who are heading into there winter is the place to watch ?
    Waves come in all shapes and sizes but health personnel can be guaranteed predict the biggest ones imaginable! It's unlikely to be anywhere near the levels of this one as we will be far better prepared. We'll probably have some treatments by then and it will also depend on how virulent a strain it might be.

• Advertisement

I think both Simon Harris and Tony Holohan are both on a massive arse saving campaign so that their names are up there in lights when all of this is over .

Simon Harris has been a terrible Minister for Health with an appalling record of getting nothing done except signing off on the Childrens Hospital in the middle of the city center. Already the budget for this project has been surpassed and the figures upon completion will be colossal. Time and again all advice was ignored from experts about logistics and accessibility of this hospital for other parts of Ireland. It should have been built on the site of Connolly hospital just off the M50, accessible to every sick child in the country. But pride and ego were at the forefront with our Minister who would not back down the James site.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/national-childrens-hospital-must-be-simon-harriss-last-mistake-905702.html

Tony Holohans record on the Cervical Screening programme has been shameful. His legacy was to let down so many women, wash his hands of the fact that many of them were treated appalling and failed......... and they are now dead. He repeatedly acted to protect himself, writing directly to patients and advocate groups asking them to withdraw criticism and to "expect a very strong" response if they didn't.
    He asked Simon Harris to allow him (Holohan) to lead the enquiry into the Cervical Check scandal, advising against any external review!! This was the same day Vicky Phelan stood outside the High Court and publicly criticized Cervical Check.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/explanation-needed-for-appalling-treatment-of-patient-advocate-says-labour-1.3995456

Simon Harris and Tony Holohan have been in serious cohoots together to clean their images as recently as last year. They work hand in hand.
    This is really frightening when you look at the power they have now in strangling the country during Covid - they are both on a power trip and want to go out in a blaze of glory! They're only looking at their performance here, not at the bigger picture (i.e. the economy and the wellbeing of the Irish citizens as a whole, not just Covid!)
    I have a lot of faith in Alan Kelly now, he is the only one beginning to ask questions. Michael Martin has completely disappeared!

(I am emailing Sharon Keoghan recently elected Senator, and Councillor Sharon Tolan , both East Meath today) - I'm urging people to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm not even going to justify except to say after "conforming to guidelines" completely alone for 10 weeks (and that is what they are: guidelines) I was thrilled to go hiking today. You are free to do the same if you wish. You're not in jail.

So...what's the issue then? Why are you even posting in the thread?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I think both Simon Harris and Tony Holohan are both on a massive arse saving campaign so that their names are up there in lights when all of this is over .

Simon Harris has been a terrible Minister for Health with an appalling record of getting nothing done except signing off on the Childrens Hospital in the middle of the city center. Already the budget for this project has been surpassed and the figures upon completion will be colossal. Time and again all advice was ignored from experts about logistics and accessibility of this hospital for other parts of Ireland. It should have been built on the site of Connolly hospital just off the M50, accessible to every sick child in the country. But pride and ego were at the forefront with our Minister who would not back down the James site.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/national-childrens-hospital-must-be-simon-harriss-last-mistake-905702.html

Tony Holohans record on the Cervical Screening programme has been shameful. His legacy was to let down so many women, wash his hands of the fact that many of them were treated appalling and failed......... and they are now dead. He repeatedly acted to protect himself, writing directly to patients and advocate groups asking them to withdraw criticism and to "expect a very strong" response if they didn't.
    He asked Simon Harris to allow him (Holohan) to lead the enquiry into the Cervical Check scandal, advising against any external review!! This was the same day Vicky Phelan stood outside the High Court and publicly criticized Cervical Check.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/explanation-needed-for-appalling-treatment-of-patient-advocate-says-labour-1.3995456

Simon Harris and Tony Holohan have been in serious cohoots together to clean their images as recently as last year. They work hand in hand.
    This is really frightening when you look at the power they have now in strangling the country during Covid - they are both on a power trip and want to go out in a blaze of glory! They're only looking at their performance here, not at the bigger picture (i.e. the economy and the wellbeing of the Irish citizens as a whole, not just Covid!)
    I have a lot of faith in Alan Kelly now, he is the only one beginning to ask questions. Michael Martin has completely disappeared!

(I am emailing Sharon Keoghan recently elected Senator, and Councillor Sharon Tolan , both East Meath today) - I'm urging people to do the same.

Well you might as well forget about any response from the public, they're too bust painting superman murals of holohan to care. Give it a few months for the harsh reality to set in and see how many murals you'll get then.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Oh i'm sorry :pac: i'm so deep in the debate now i forget to look at the usernames :pac::pac:

Yeah i hope you had a great day out and i would advise everyone to get outdoors and get some fresh air and sun on themselves and enjoy it!

Getting outdoors and enjoying it is not a crime!

...within 5km of your home.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Find it ridiculous that Glendalough is closed for the bank holiday weekend. Walking up a mountain shouldn't be restricted if you're keeping social distancing. Government needs to start opening up parks and other open air spaces.

Glendalough gets over 700k visitors a year, that’s 2000 a day, which isn’t accurate because visiting is loaded during weekends and spring / summer. So it’s realistic that up to 5000 people could visit there on any Bank holiday weekend day.

You explain to us how you manage the Traffic parking facilities, pathways, picnic areas, toilet facilities, shops, cafes, hotels, litter etc etc in the area.

And then realise that the people who actually live there all year round and are restricted to 5km won’t be able to go out because of the volume of people.

• Advertisement

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well you might as well forget about any response from the public, they're too bust painting superman murals of holohan to care. Give it a few months for the harsh reality to set in and see how many murals you'll get then.

if that's the attitude from everyone nothing gets done.
    If people want to sit at home complaining thats ok, they've as much right to have their say here on Boards as anyone else...... but I've just emailed both my local Gov representatives. I'm not expecting a response, but every little helps. I believe the tide is turning, far more people are now questioning this lockdown than even 2 weeks ago.

So...what's the issue then? Why are you even posting in the thread?

I've as much right to post in this thread as you do. If you don't agree tough. Boards.ie is for everyone.

I've as much right to post in this thread as you do. If you don't agree tough. Boards.ie is for everyone.

I can never get over people giving out about people posting on the website. It's a message board it's what it's there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Covid payment would have to be slashed as well as large cuts to welfare and PS pay first I reckon.

if that's the attitude from everyone nothing gets done.
    If people want to sit at home complaining thats ok, they've as much right to have their say here on Boards as anyone else...... but I've just emailed both my local Gov representatives. I'm not expecting a response, but every little helps. I believe the tide is turning, far more people are now questioning this lockdown than even 2 weeks ago.
    What is this turning tide going to do apart from give people an excuse to vent?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    There comes a time when you have to say enough is enough and put yourself first.
    If you want to continue suffering in misery you are welcome to it, but you have no right to call another person selfish.

The first part of your post is the definition of selfish.

selfish meaning

selfish
    /ˈsɛlfɪʃ/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

road_high wrote: »
    Covid payment would have to be slashed as well as large cuts to welfare and PS pay first I reckon.

I don't think it'll happen. Fianna fail and fine Gael saw how close the margins of the last election were. They know if they slaughter one of the sacred calves of public sector pay or welfare or pensions they'll pay for it in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

selfish meaning

selfish
    /ˈsɛlfɪʃ/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

Humans are inherently selfish, more shocking news at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

road_high wrote: »

It's a pandemic. Consequences are going to be sharp for everyone either way.

Just have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

selfish meaning

selfish
    /ˈsɛlfɪʃ/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective

There's plenty of selfish behaviour on display from a lot of people but I honestly don't think going for a one off isolated walk as a treat after 10 weeks of misery counts.

• Advertisement

That debts still there. All 200 billion of it. You're still paying Whopper taxes on top of USC for it so it's definitely still around.

Me personally, nope. I work on the other side of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

UK budget deficit is set to hit close to £300 billion pounds.

Even in 2010 the UK they had two emergency budgets as the budget deficit hit £163 billion pounds, a post-war record in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The US government has printed one trillion dollars to tackle the covid crisis. The Irish government will have to borrow 20billion plus to pay the cost of the crisis. Many cafes and pubs will close due to the lockdown many large company's are announcing layoffs already. Unemployment will probably stay high for 2years until the economy recovers and hopefully tourists come back and people
    start to travel normally on planes. Everyday I see a company announcing the layoff of workers
    Even tech company's are letting people go

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

There surely must be something more at play here than just the egos of two men. And no, I don't believe the earth is flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

I honestly get the feeling that instead of the just flattening the curve (which has been achieved), NPHET and the government have changed their goal to elimination of the virus.

Why else would they try to bring in a mandatory isolation policy for people entering the country that would destroy our whole tourism sector? Or why would they want to drag out the reopening of the economy when the virus is surpressed in the community as much as it? Do they want zero cases and for things to go back to normal then? Is that even possible?

I'm not sure we're being told the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

riclad wrote: »
    The US government has printed one trillion dollars to tackle the covid crisis. The Irish government will have to borrow 20billion plus to pay the cost of the crisis. Many cafes and pubs will close due to the lockdown many large company's are announcing layoffs already. Unemployment will probably stay high for 2years until the economy recovers and hopefully tourists come back and people
    start to travel normally on planes. Everyday I see a company announcing the layoff of workers
    Even tech company's are letting people go

Yes even once surefire businesses are letting staff go. Places you wouldn’t even think directly effected but are.
    Local banking service centre let 80 staff go due to the crisis. Were never the dream jobs of many but gave a start and experience to lots of young people. I think the consequences are going to be extremely severe, they haven’t been comprehended fully yet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

skelly22 wrote: »
    There surely must be something more at play here than just the egos of two men.
    Ego is a lot of it, Irish politics more of it and most of all rank incompetence and a consistent aiming for the target of mediocre that has troubled Irish society for decades.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

I honestly get the feeling that instead of the just flattening the curve (which has been achieved), NPHET and the government have changed their goal to elimination of the virus.

Why else would they try to bring in a mandatory isolation policy for people entering the country that would destroy our whole tourism sector? Or why would they want to drag out the reopening of the economy when the virus is surpressed in the community as much as it? Do they want zero cases and for things to go back to normal then? Is that even possible?

I'm not sure we're being told the full story.

No, it's impossible. As the WHO have already stated. And you can be 100% sure we're not being told the full story.

robbiezero wrote: »
    How do you know? Did you expect to cc'ed on peoples email to TDs?

I said seemingly. I don't know. However, no one replied to say, "Yes, I've lobbied 'x'."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

skelly22 wrote: »
    No, it's impossible. As the WHO have already stated. And you can be 100% sure we're not being told the full story.

The strategy doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

When everything does finally reopening I think social distancing measures are going to cause nearly as much chaos as the virus. Schools and childcare for a start.

Working at hugely reduced capacity in these institutions will cause mayhem not only socially but financially. There will be huge knock on effects for the amount of people who will even be able to go back to work because of it. What happens then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement