Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

skelly22 wrote: »
    No, it's impossible. As the WHO have already stated. And you can be 100% sure we're not being told the full story.

The strategy doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

When everything does finally reopening I think social distancing measures are going to cause nearly as much chaos as the virus. Schools and childcare for a start.

Working at hugely reduced capacity in these institutions will cause mayhem not only socially but financially. There will be huge knock on effects for the amount of people who will even be able to go back to work because of it. What happens then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

RobitTV wrote: »
    UK budget deficit is set to hit close to £300 billion pounds.

Even in 2010 the UK they had two emergency budgets as the budget deficit hit £163 billion pounds, a post-war record in Britain.

This kind of figures give the scale of what is facing us too. There’s a lot of delusion publicly and in Dáil Éireann

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

There surely must be something more at play here than just the egos of two men. And no, I don't believe the earth is flat.

I emailed Paschal Donoghoe there, my local TD. Theres a first for everything :-)

The whole thing has been a bit of a disaster from the get go.

Our CMO criticizing the nursing homes for banning visitors looks very stupid now. That is were most of the deaths have occurred and continue to occur.

Simon discussing the other 18 corona virus's.

Finally getting the capacity to test when the demand is no longer there.

Randomly finding another 200+ cases that hadn't been previously reported.

The infamous "typo" on Phase 1 of the governments plan.

People earning more from the Covid payment than their salary.

The overly cautious 3 month reopening plan. Wait until its gone from the community to start phase 1.

An external review of how this has been handled needs to happen. This could happen again in the future and we need to handle it better next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

When everything does finally reopening I think social distancing measures are going to cause nearly as much chaos as the virus. Schools and childcare for a start.

Working at hugely reduced capacity in these institutions will cause mayhem not only socially but financially. There will be huge knock on effects for the amount of people who will even be able to go back to work because of it. What happens then?

I reckon that if there isn't a big spike in numbers, social distancing measures might be modified i.e. 1 meter instead of 2 meters. Too early to know, but I agree that it won't be easy to operate certain elements, like the ones you mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The whole golf club 5km rule is daft. If I live 4.5km from a golf course, and the golf course stretches beyond the 5km radius, am I only permitted to play the holes which are within 5km of my home since I would be breaching the radius by playing some of the holes?

That's without the whole rubbish of there being any risk to public health by playing golf 6km from my home rather than 5km.

There will be a lot of backlash in this country as Europe opens up fully and we're here with the Gardai and Government discussing the enforcability of allowing people play golf 6km from their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

Doesn't make any sense for me at this stage. Seems Simon, Tony & Co have managed to come up with a solution that's worse than the original problem. Like many posters have already said, I don't think people have fully grasped what's coming down the tracks if these gombeens are allowed to continue unopposed with their proposals. This 2-Week detention thing will hopefully awaken them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Our CMO criticizing the nursing homes for banning visitors looks very stupid now. That is were most of the deaths have occurred and continue to occur.

The overly cautious 3 month reopening plan. Wait until its gone from the community to start phase 1.

An external review of how this has been handled needs to happen. This could happen again in the future and we need to handle it better next time.

A bit of humility is needed too , this wasnt a known problem with a known solution. The best one could hope for was do something, make mistake, correct quickly and bounce along to the end. There should be lessons learned and obvious risk management decisions made for the country going forward

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The world will be full of Monday morning quarterbacks in a few months.

“I wouldn’t have done that, I would have done this now that I can see the clear mistake that has Probably already been acknowledged”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

The world will be full of Monday morning quarterbacks in a few months.

“I wouldn’t have done that, I would have done this now that I can see the clear mistake that has Probably already been acknowledged”

Well how does that explain how the Danish German and Austrian governments have done infinitely better. You don't need to be Warren Buffett to see the country's heading for economic disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You expect perfection.

No country in the world has had such perfection. Every single one has made mistakes. Why? Because it's a crisis everyone was caught out on and not use to dealing with.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You expect perfection.

No country in the world has had such perfection. Every single one has made mistakes. Why? Because it's a crisis everyone was caught out on and not use to dealing with.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Well no they haven't. Look at the german, korean, Austrian and danish responses. Stop defending our lots mediocrity.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well how does that explain how the Danish German and Austrian governments have done infinitely better. You don't need to be Warren Buffett to see the country's heading for economic disaster.

Elaborate on infinitely better?
    Every country is different for a multitude of reasons.

We have done better than the UK, Spain, Italy, France with regards actual deaths, but you ignore that because of your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Doesn't make any sense for me at this stage. Seems Simon, Tony & Co have managed to come up with a solution that's worse than the original problem. Like many posters have already said, I don't think people have fully grasped what's coming down the tracks if these gombeens are allowed to continue unopposed with their proposals. This 2-Week detention thing will hopefully awaken them though.

Recession is inevitable all over Europe regardless of when we open up. That 2 week detention thing is nuts alright. There needs to be some economic advisors to balance out Tony and Co. NPHET are essentially running the country now.

marno21 wrote: »
    The whole golf club 5km rule is daft. If I live 4.5km from a golf course, and the golf course stretches beyond the 5km radius, am I only permitted to play the holes which are within 5km of my home since I would be breaching the radius by playing some of the holes?

That's without the whole rubbish of there being any risk to public health by playing golf 6km from my home rather than 5km.

There will be a lot of backlash in this country as Europe opens up fully and we're here with the Gardai and Government discussing the enforcability of allowing people play golf 6km from their homes.

The rule appears daft alright, but it’s there to reduce movement. There has to be some simple easy to follow rule in place, Because let’s face it a lot of people are incredibly stupid. if there are exceptions given to golf then they need to be given to tennis, and cycling, and hiking, and walking, fishing, Kayacking, running and a raft of other activities, then you are left with the task of enforcing people to abide by different rules to others and that’s not workable.

I think there are companies and by companies I mean big large corporates and multinationals with desk bound type work and a flexible working from home approach who will cope-but for others I just don’t see it either.

I’m all for measures where practically possible but we have to open up our industries again even if it’s just to Island population only for the time being- a restaurant won’t survive with reducing numbers by 60%_ a clothes shop won’t cope with 10 people in the store at once when it’s business model says it needs 100 at any one time - were feiced so we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

LiquidZeb wrote: »

This is brilliant, you are on fire today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

MadYaker wrote: »
    Recession is inevitable all over Europe regardless of when we open up. That 2 week detention thing is nuts alright. There needs to be some economic advisors to balance out Tony and Co. NPHET are essentially running the country now.

But it's the severity and length of our recession is what's in question and the longer we persist in the ultra conservative approach toward opening up will have a huge impact.

Agree entirely re economic advisors and Tony etc but think the conversation is at least changing and gathering momentum. As has been suggested, write to your local TD's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I have no confidence in them.

Our only hope at this stage is what's happening in other countries, regarding the lifting of restrictions, effectively shames us into acting faster.

The 2-week detention suggestion is beyond outrageous. We have a power-hungry bureaucrat, totally removed from the real world and intent on covering his arse, a nodding dog Government and cheered on by a bunch of social-media clappy seals that are getting paid more to sit at home then when they were working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I have no confidence in them.

Our only hope at this stage is what's happening in other countries, regarding the lifting of restrictions, effectively shames us into acting faster.

The 2-week detention suggestion is beyond outrageous. We have a power-hungry bureaucrat, totally removed from the real world and intent on covering his arse, a nodding dog Government and cheered on by a bunch of social-media clappy seals that are getting paid more to sit at home then when they were working.

Where are they proposing to detain all these people? Or is that another 'we will let you know when we think you need to know' things?

• Advertisement

Elaborate on infinitely better?
    Every country is different for a multitude of reasons.

We have done better than the UK, Spain, Italy, France with regards actual deaths, but you ignore that because of your agenda.

What's my agenda? Please clue me in? Is that you Simon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The time for speaking out has begun. Today i contacted all my of my local TD's and i expressed my concerns.

www.whoismytd.com please find the contact details on this website and make contact with your local TD's, it won't take more then a few minutes.

We need dozens of people to express how they feel. We need to kick start the campaign to create the national debate around the lockdown phase plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JPCN1 wrote: »
    But it's the severity and length of our recession is what's in question and the longer we persist in the ultra conservative approach toward opening up will have a huge impact.

Agree entirely re economic advisors and Tony etc but think the conversation is at least changing and gathering momentum. As has been suggested, write to your local TD's etc.

Had anyone got a template of what they’ve written to TDs? I’d certainly do that

This is brilliant, you are on fire today :D

Well apparently now criticising our governments lackluster response is having an agenda so I don't know what to say to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

JPCN1 wrote: »

I don’t think it matters at this point, the damage is already done. We’re a small ship in a big ocean economically speaking. The entire tourism sector is already sunk and that’s a huge chunk of our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The time for speaking out has begun. Today i contacted all my of my local TD's and i expressed my concerns.

www.whoismytd.com please find the contact details on this website and make contact with your local TD's, it won't take more then a few minutes.

We need dozens of people to express how they feel. We need to kick start the campaign to create the national debate around the lockdown phase plan.

Who is 'we'?

Spanish cases grew by (+0.21%) yesterday
    Deaths grew by (+0.19%)

So in Spain they been easing lockdown restrictions for around two weeks now and we were all told by the hysterical media that we would see some sort of surge. Woops....

Scaremongering sells newspapers it seems.

Who is 'we'?

'We' as in those who disagree with the phased plan that the government currently have.

You are free not to contact anyone :pac:

Deaths grew by (+0.19%)

So in Spain they been easing lockdown restrictions for around two weeks now and we were all told by the hysterical media that we would see some sort of surge. Woops....

Yea, so you need to pay better attention to what your hearing and not react out of your blinkered stances rage.

You were never told that easing restrictions would increase cases.

We have all been told that easing restrictions could increase cases. If it hasn’t then that’s brilliant and that info can be examined and used elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Deaths grew by (+0.19%)

Poor Kermit probably has the rosary beads worn down to a nub praying for a second wave at this point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement