Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I don't see how self isolation will be enforced now that the rest of Europe are removing it, surely it breaks the EU freedom of moment rights?

Even if we do have the self isolation rule it will probably just be a simply phone call from the guards to confirm you're isolating.

What will your employer have to say though? That’s what’s worrying me. Can’t be taking 2 weeks off work after every trip abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

bb1234567 wrote: »
    So don't post rumours then

Not a rumour.
    It's an official statistic.

That you don't believe me troubles me not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Excellent news for my end of Aug Barcelona trip, and for Europe too

"MADRID (Reuters) - Coronavirus lockdowns will be eased in Spain’s capital Madrid and second city Barcelona from Monday to allow outdoor dining and gatherings of up to 10 people as infections have slowed sufficiently there, the government said.

Bars and restaurants in Madrid and Barcelona will be allowed to reopen on pavements and terraces at half capacity from Monday, churches can also throw open their doors again, and people will be free to travel outside the cities."

That explains your motivation perfectly.
    You want things opened up so you can go on a jaunt to Barcelona.

Don’t mind people dying, you want paella and estrella and that’s just more important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Can you afford to self isolate on your return though? How long is this self isolation on arrival bs expected to last for?

I dont think it will be that extreme end of August.

And even if it is, I will self isolate at below address :pac:

Merrion St Upper, Dublin 2, D02 R583

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I don't see how self isolation will be enforced now that the rest of Europe are removing it, surely it breaks the EU freedom of moment rights?

Even if we do have the self isolation rule it will probably just be a simply phone call from the guards to confirm you're isolating.

The embarrassment in the Irish courts wasn’t enough? You want to get embarrassed by a European one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I dont think it will be that extreme end of August.

And even if it is, I will self isolate at below address :pac:

Merrion St Upper, Dublin 2, D02 R583

I hope you’re right and you get to enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The embarrassment in the Irish courts wasn’t enough? You want to get embarrassed by a European one?

What are you on about ?

Greece wanted mandorty tests and isolation for people coming into Greece and the EU told them it went against EU law. Likewise with France, the bill got through both houses there and fell because of the EU.I'd be pretty sure they'll tell our lads here the same.

What's an Irish court got to with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Lets keep the thread relevant to Ireland as you've mentioned yourself earlier that Peru/Brazil figures are unreliable and state of Georgia figures are unreliable. Surely our figures ARE reliable?

...except when you don't keep it relevant to Ireland yourself...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

The CJEU would not uphold that regime from Member States. Not a chance in hell, and the Commission has already warned Member States on this. I am afraid that it will be Ireland who will be embarrassed.

And I doubt any case would get sent to the Irish courts unless someone had tested positive or had the symptoms and was disregarding them.

Penfailed wrote: »

It’s hard to keep so many plates in the air when your digging holes all around you!!!

• Advertisement

That explains your motivation perfectly.
    You want things opened up so you can go on a jaunt to Barcelona.

Don’t mind people dying, you want paella and estrella and that’s just more important to you.

People are dying in nursing homes and hospitals.

I am not going to a nursing home or a hospital, not in Barcelona nor Ireland upon my return.

I ll save more lives by spending money in Barcelona's local businesses than you will watching netflix at home, thats just reality. Only thing you ll do is increase netflixs share price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Penfailed wrote: »

Sweden Sweden Sweden Sweden Sweden Sweden Sweden we need to focus on Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Is 0.4% the same as figure you've been regularly disseminating throughout the thread? Looks a good bit higher to me. So do you believe the Iceland study yourself or not then? Or do you have a valid reason why you believe the IFR to be in reality be half of what is estimated in that study?

But yes, It is another great valuable study along with the others from Spain, New York, France, Netherlands. Wouldn't it be wise to take an average of these high quality antibody test results rather than simply using the Iceland result? That is usually what is done, it is best practice to get an accurate average. In that case, would be significantly higher, somewhere between 0.5% and 1.1%.

BTW ,If you can find even one post by me where I am '"Quoting inflated fatality statistics based on confirmed cases only.' I will delete my account right now for you! :)

All studies about IFR should include an age bracket. What use is there trying to figure it out when there's such a high variance.

If the disease breaks out in a meat plant the IFR would be somewhat close to zero, in a nursing home the IFR would be 25-30%.

Trying to compute it without understanding that basic fact is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Spoke with people in Australia today. They are going into their winter and Covid is nearly gone. Restaurants are reopening up to 50 people and their economy is re starting. So much for this ‘2nd wave’ the doom mongers on here want you to fear.

People are dying in nursing homes and hospitals.

I am not going to a nursing home or a hospital, not in Barcelona nor Ireland upon my return.

I ll save more lives by spending money in Barcelona's local businesses than you will watching netflix at home, thats just reality. Only thing you ll do is increase netflixs share price.

Aren’t you the patriot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Aren’t you the patriot.

Are you suggesting Ireland should remain under draconian restrictions in the name of ‘patriotism?!’

I myself would love nothing more than to holiday here. However August won’t suit and the weather is usually bad. Would love to go in July. The authorities here have restrictions in place until the end of July to prolong our misery.
    Hence I’ve started googling flights to Europe...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Rodin wrote: »
    Not a rumour.
    It's an official statistic.

That you don't believe me troubles me not.

where's that published?

Greatly put

Holohan didn’t call it involuntary detention. Instead, in his May 8th letter, he called for “a mandatory regime of self-isolation for 14 days at a designated facility for all persons arriving . . . from overseas”.

If people, including returning Irish citizens, have no choice but to spend two weeks at a Government facility away from their homes with their liberty curtailed, what is that if not a system of involuntary detention?

As an ongoing control measure after the first wave has subsided, routine detention of citizens at entry is beyond severe. The law of averages says 97 or 98 out of every 100 of those held for two weeks would be healthy. Ireland would be an outlier in the European Union, even alongside virus-ravaged Italy and Spain. They are lifting their quarantines, which were never in “designated facilities” anyway.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/our-warped-sense-of-perspective-bodes-ill-for-ireland-s-economy-1.4259285

Very good read. We need to get that evil doctor locked up in one of his facilities for 14 years.

June 18th which just so happens to be around the same other EU countries will be lifting border restrictions. Brussels must have been onto Simon.

Again mandatory to fill in the form, after that good luck enforcing it.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1263870803973738496?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

3 months too late. I'm actually shocked by this measure. Why are the Irish authorities going on as if we were/are as bad as the likes of Italy or Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

About time, now let’s see if they apply it to the Irish travellers coming over for funerals from UK, along with a good beating if they break it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

June 18th which just so happens to be around the same other EU countries will be lifting border restrictions. Brussels must have been onto Simon.

Again mandatory to fill in the form, after that good luck enforcing it.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1263870803973738496?s=19

How are they proposing to prevent non essential travel off the island?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Also curious to see if they change the 2m distancing rule to 1.5m as it is in a number of other countries (or even 1m in some countries). It would make a massive difference for businesses, especially those serving food.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what a joke this should have been in in march - pointless now

just cast a lot of the tourist industry into bankruptcy

Are you suggesting Ireland should remain under draconian restrictions in the name of ‘patriotism?!’

I myself would love nothing more than to holiday here. However August won’t suit and the weather is usually bad. Would love to go in July. The authorities here have restrictions in place until the end of July to prolong our misery.
    Hence I’ve started googling flights to Europe...

Yea the authorities are doing all this just to make us miserable.

Stheno wrote: »
    How are they proposing to prevent non essential travel off the island?

No idea, it's up there as one of the stupidest things they've come out with so far.

Would have made sense a few months ago

ixoy wrote: »
    Also curious to see if they change the 2m distancing rule to 1.5m as it is in a number of other countries (or even 1m in some countries). It would make a massive difference for businesses, especially those serving food.

Harris said on announcing the form being mandatory that they're following WHO guidelines etc well if they were then distancing would be 1m. It's a pick and choose what guidelines they want to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Has any time limit been set on this form filling measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Blaze420 wrote: »
    About time, now let’s see if they apply it to the Irish travellers coming over for funerals from UK, along with a good beating if they break it.

I'd say they're exempt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Greece is opening up it's tourist islands again from the 15th of June. I would advise people who can afford a holiday to go and have a long summer break in Greece because Chairman Holohan isn't going to budge.

Go and spend your money where it is wanted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement