Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Yea the authorities are doing all this just to make us miserable.

Glad youve come over to our way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No idea, it's up there as one of the stupidest things they've come out with so far.

Would have made sense a few months ago
    Lining up with Britain and other countries by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

prunudo wrote: »
    3 months too late. I'm actually shocked by this measure. Why are the Irish authorities going on as if we were/are as bad as the likes of Italy or Spain.

Irish advisors Dr Tony and NPHET are treating our country as if it’s the epicentre of the whole worldwide outbreak.

And most of the measures they advised always happen to counteract something that’s already occurred.

We can’t get ahead if we’re always behind. We were behind closing down and now we pay the price by being miles behind opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

3 months too late. I'm actually shocked by this measure. Why are the Irish authorities going on as if we were/are as bad as the likes of Italy or Spain.

How do you measure who is better and who is worse?
    Case per million = we come second after Spain, any other EU country is below us
    Death per million = same range as The Netherands and Sweden which is midway in the list, not too many but not too good either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Well it's working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

It would seem so...this looks more and more like an expedition to save Tony and Simon's arses, no matter how many lives they destroy along the way.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    How do you measure who is better and who is worse?
    Case per million = we come second after Spain, any other EU country is below us
    Death per million = same range as The Netherands and Sweden which is midway in the list, not too many but not too good either

Until all countries use the same parameters then those comparisons are useless.
    I guage being better by the fact our hospitals weren't swamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Has any time limit been set on this form filling measure?

June 18th to be reviewed then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Did you look at the stats that were posted.....

No you didn’t.

And taking a sampling of 8000 people to determine something that has infected a few million is a bit dumb.

Our antibody testing will only be a sample of 5000 people. Still considered a good representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Until all countries use the same parameters then those comparisons are useless.
    I guage being better by the fact our hospitals weren't swamped.

if they are useless then I ask you again, how do you measure who is better and who is worse?
    You used Italy/Spain as a comparison, what parameters did you use to asses where we stand compared to them?

• Advertisement

June 18th to be reviewed then
    Seems like quite an odd time to do it, given we are not near a phase change although some countries are opening for tourism in June/July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Our antibody testing will only be a sample of 5000 people. Still considered a good representation.

And irrelevant to what we are discussing.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Glad youve come over to our way of thinking.

Yea, all it took was leaving rationality and reason aside for the last few hours.

115 new cases
    11 new deaths.

Getting there slowly.

I'm seriously concerned re what Simon Harris is proposing. He's essentially prohibiting travel to Europe, he's quarantining everyone coming into Ireland and it's turning us into a Pariah state. How on earth is this going to help the economy long term?
    And before anyone starts on about 2nd wave, etc. I've already stated Australia and New Zealand are reopening, Covid is on the way off. We should be much further along our reopening path..

What is Simon's logic for keeping the 5km rule AND essentially banning travel to Europe.
    Why are we not opened more here if we're acting as an island nation and there's a prohibition on people coming into the country.

Not to mention the fact I personally believe if you look at all the data coming through, including new information from multiple medical sources that a number of people have resistance to Covid, we shouldn't even be as closed up as we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Cases have gone up a small bit today, and now the rosary beads are out in force and they will be dangling like never before.

The lockdown merchants have just wet themselves with the thought of further utter misery

RIP to the 11 dead today.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

if they are useless then I ask you again, how do you measure who is better and who is worse?
    You used Italy/Spain as a comparison, what parameters did you use to asses where we stand compared to them?

Why compare? It's not a competition. Look at the rate of infection, number of identified clusters, numbers of positive cases that have recovered and their symptoms and how they recovered versus those that died, and other parameters. What difference does COVID in other countries make to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Poor Simon has lost it. Following UK now.....

"He told RTɒs Drivetime that it “dent confidence on people travelling to Ireland”.

“It sounds great but it doesn’t work,” he said. “You’re saying to people Ireland is closed, when Spain is open, Greece and Portugal as well. We need to restore air links and air travel.”

In the UK, it was announced this evening that similar measures will come into effect on new arrivals from 8 June. However, it won’t apply to people coming from Ireland.

Harris said today he was eager to align as closely as possible to the UK in this regard."

https://www.thejournal.ie/simon-harris-coronavirus-5105733-May2020/

Worst health minister of all time?

115 new cases
    11 new deaths.

Getting there slowly.

These case figures are essentially meaningless. Have they given a break down of the deaths? In 2018 at least 85 people died per day, can't get the figures for 2019 to hand on CSO but according to RIP it will be up on 2018 again.
    The test is 70% accurate at best, as much as a 40% error rate reported in US hosptials...more people than you think have been infected with Covid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm seriously concerned re what Simon Harris is proposing. He's essentially prohibiting travel to Europe, he's quarantining everyone coming into Ireland and it's turning us into a Pariah state. How on earth is this going to help the economy long term?
    And before anyone starts on about 2nd wave, etc. I've already stated Australia and New Zealand are reopening, Covid is on the way off. We should be much further along our reopening path..

What is Simon's logic for keeping the 5km rule AND essentially banning travel to Europe.
    Why are we not opened more here if we're acting as an island nation and there's a prohibition on people coming into the country.

Not to mention the fact I personally believe if you look at all the data coming through, including new information from multiple medical sources that a number of people have resistance to Covid, we shouldn't even be as closed up as we are...

You only have to fill out the form. The actual isolation for 2 weeks isn’t mandatory and neither is it enforceable so I wouldn’t worry about it really.

• Advertisement

You only have to fill out the form. The actual isolation for 2 weeks isn’t mandatory and neither is it enforceable so I wouldn’t worry about it really.

Ok thanks :)

Worst health minister of all time?
    There is a long list of them and two of the ex-ministers lead parties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Yea, all it took was leaving rationality and reason aside for the last few hours.

Nothing unusual for you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

It's not enforceable. Up to the individual to guage how they are, if they've symptoms and how isolated they'll make themselves.

It would seem so...this looks more and more like an expedition to save Tony and Simon's arses, no matter how many lives they destroy along the way.

This is what I've been saying all along. They are covering their arses big time and relishing in it. Do these two only talk to each other, do they ever listen to anyone from industry or commerce? Are they joined at the hip, in isolation together 24/7? Where is Leo Varadker on this today? He has handed over the reins completely to Simon and Tony. And the likes of Michael Martin and Alan Kelly, how do they feel?

This will have a serious impact on trade, travel and tourism. We are a tiny island on the most westerly point of Europe. We are not self sufficient .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭VonLuck

to be fair to Ivan Yates he HAS mentioned social distancing and hand hygiene on his show almost every single day. If you don't believe me have a listen back to his shows this week alone. He travels by bus and DART every day into Dublin city to work and back home. I've seen him at Pearse Station a few times. He is very aware of the risks outside with the general public and on public transport and has been banging on about it NON STOP saying you can get on with your lives and your jobs as long as you practice social distancing and hand hygiene. He is an example of this.

Community transmission is practically non existent at the moment, he's not wrong there.

That may be even more of a reason for him to be careful what he says. I know he's just being over the top to make a point, as he tends to do, but to some people it may seem like he's just given up on the whole thing after being a proponent for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

There is a poster here jacdaniel2014 I think who has mentioned it couple of times, well CSO backs up his claim

"The CSO published a new detailed breakdown of Covid-19 deaths and cases in Ireland today.

It found almost 92% of Covid-19 deaths were among the over 65s up to 15 May."

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-deaths-ireland-age-range-5105401-May2020/

Read my post you quoted, I used the comparison of our icu's not being swamped.

These case figures are essentially meaningless. Have they given a break down of the deaths? In 2018 at least 85 people died per day, can't get the figures for 2019 to hand on CSO but according to RIP it will be up on 2018 again.
    The test is 70% accurate at best, as much as a 40% error rate reported in US hosptials...more people than you think have been infected with Covid...

And here is another round of nonsense to try and belittle actual medical figures because of ones personal agenda.

Good to know you consider 11 dead people meaningless.
    Says a lot about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

There is a poster here jacdaniel2014 I think who has mentioned it couple of times, well CSO backs up his claim

"The CSO published a new detailed breakdown of Covid-19 deaths and cases in Ireland today.

It found almost 92% of Covid-19 deaths were among the over 65s up to 15 May."

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-deaths-ireland-age-range-5105401-May2020/

92% of deaths happening over the age of 65 and people think this is a reason to keep young, healthy people locked away?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement