Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Well there’s solutions for that isn’t there? You’d prefer not to acknowledge that though because you appear to be a lockdown merchant who’s pining for the good old times of the last 10 weeks and wants it to remain indefinitely

Definitely not a lockdown merchant, you can mind our two girls if you're bored! I'd question some of the measures but will leave it those in charge who understand this stuff better than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Oh Jesus. Should they get a state funeral?

Pretty distasteful mockery.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Yeah like having mass unemployment and mountains of national debt. Thank God we've avoided that completely.

Difficult to be employed if you're dead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Would you think like that if one of them was your mother or father and it could be prevented?

Yes because the world doesn’t revolve around me and mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

My wife is a carer in a HSE care home. Her and 36 colleagues tested positive. 4 residents died from COVID. It's an infectious disease that someone with no clear symptoms can pass on. There are worse things than a few more days of lockdown. Much worse.

They are still doing a crap job in care homes

Nursing home next to me had all residents outside playing music partying in the sun yesterday, no social distancing

Letting in visitors too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Dr Tony Holohan: 'We have effectively extinguished the virus from the community'

What more do we need to achieve before the government accelerates the phase plan? just like everywhere else in Europe which they are also being cautious but they are acting much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Poor Simon has lost it. Following UK now.....

"He told RTɒs Drivetime that it “dent confidence on people travelling to Ireland”.

“It sounds great but it doesn’t work,” he said. “You’re saying to people Ireland is closed, when Spain is open, Greece and Portugal as well. We need to restore air links and air travel.”

In the UK, it was announced this evening that similar measures will come into effect on new arrivals from 8 June. However, it won’t apply to people coming from Ireland.

Harris said today he was eager to align as closely as possible to the UK in this regard."

https://www.thejournal.ie/simon-harris-coronavirus-5105733-May2020/

Worst health minister of all time?

3 months ago he said travel restrictions don't work. Didn't even consider quarantine then either. 1500 dead and economy in tatters since. Horse long bolted but its probably better late than never.

Although we should consider fast turnaround tests like used in Hong Kong.

Difficult to be employed if you're dead.....

Considering most of the dead are retirees this seems totally irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Would you think like that if one of them was your mother or father and it could be prevented?

Or the people now you will not be screened for cancer or are petrified of visiting a hospital. Proportionately and managing the risk is key. The lock down is becoming disproportionate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Rodin wrote: »
    Not a rumour.
    It's an official statistic.

That you don't believe me troubles me not.

Then show your source? Anything unverified is a rumour

VonLuck wrote: »
    Pretty distasteful mockery.

I was clearly objecting to the warlike rhetoric of “give their lives” which is obviously completely over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Considering most of the dead are retirees this seems totally irrelevant.

Dont even bother. Just let him hyperventilate and run around like a headless chicken.

Ivan Yates was interviewing Dr Gabriel Scally President of Public Health at Royal Society of Medicine about half an hour ago........ he says that they are trying to get the new cases down to zero so we need these new restricitons and quarantines! !!! OMG this is never going to be achievable. Are we to become prisoners on this island until Covid is completely irradicated? The first country in the World to do so. Is that what Tony Holohan wants, because its beginning to sound like it?

Did Scally agree with the strategy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If 115 cases and assuming a conservative positive rate of 2%, there may only be something like 6000 tests ran per day, and 40,000 a week.

That leaves huge excess capacity that could be used to test incoming travellers to Ireland. In about 3 months from now our government will cop on to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The whole thing has been a bit of a disaster from the get go.

Our CMO criticizing the nursing homes for banning visitors looks very stupid now. That is were most of the deaths have occurred and continue to occur.

Simon discussing the other 18 corona virus's.

Finally getting the capacity to test when the demand is no longer there.

Randomly finding another 200+ cases that hadn't been previously reported.

The infamous "typo" on Phase 1 of the governments plan.

People earning more from the Covid payment than their salary.

The overly cautious 3 month reopening plan. Wait until its gone from the community to start phase 1.

An external review of how this has been handled needs to happen. This could happen again in the future and we need to handle it better next time.

Hindsight is 20 20...

You should go into politics yourself, you seem to have it all sewn up.

Poor Simon has lost it. Following UK now.....

"He told RTɒs Drivetime that it “dent confidence on people travelling to Ireland”.

“It sounds great but it doesn’t work,” he said. “You’re saying to people Ireland is closed, when Spain is open, Greece and Portugal as well. We need to restore air links and air travel.”

In the UK, it was announced this evening that similar measures will come into effect on new arrivals from 8 June. However, it won’t apply to people coming from Ireland.

Harris said today he was eager to align as closely as possible to the UK in this regard."

https://www.thejournal.ie/simon-harris-coronavirus-5105733-May2020/

Worst health minister of all time?

I have been looking at the internet. When did we vote to leave the EU and rejoin the U.K.?

I can tell you that is the impression now in Brussels.

Dont even bother. Just let him hyperventilate and run around like a headless chicken.

Use your words Zeb. Use your words.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Skyfloater

Stark wrote: »
    A hell of a lot more than 11 people died in Ireland today. Ireland's daily death rate was 122 average for 2019. I guess if they didn't die of Covid they don't matter though.
    About 31,000 people die each year in Ireland, that makes it 85 a day.
    @redand green, do you know how long is the average residency in Care Homes is by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Rodin wrote: »
    Not a rumour.
    It's an official statistic.

That you don't believe me troubles me not.

Then show your source? Anything unverified is a rumour

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

What an ignorant, uncaring statement. I really hope karma bites you. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I heard a very sad story on the radio earlier this week.

A woman rang to talk about her father, who had been isolating alone since late February as he is a widow. He had been finding it very difficult and was extremely lonely, she and her small kids had been calling to visit him from outside the window for the last few weeks but he was quite depressed.

A few weeks ago he broke down and asked her would she please come into the house with the kids for a cup of tea and despite being upset by it, she held tough because her number 1 priority was protecting him from the virus and keeping him safe.
    He found the separation from the grandchildren very difficult but she still abided by the guidelines the government gave in order to do what was best with him.

Well the poor man suffered a heart attack last week and passed away, it happened while he was sleeping and he wasn’t found till the next evening.
    He had spent the last 11 weeks of his life completely miserable on his own and isolated, and to say the woman was heartbroken would be understating it.
    She was devastated that he died like that.

It would really make you consider whether coronavirus is really the worst thing out there, the isolation, particularly for elderly people has been extremely downplayed.
    I know everyone wants to protect their parents but I can’t imagine anyone whose parent died in circumstances like that not feeling some guilt. I know I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Use your words Zeb. Use your words.

I've used them. I think you'll find once people can't pay their mortgages or rent and the government payments become thin on the ground, covid will become the least of people's worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I've used them. I think you'll find once people can't pay their mortgages or rent and the government payments become thin on the ground, covid will become the least of people's worries.

I think early June has already been stated as the DSP running out of money to fund the covid payments - would expect we’ll see a panicked fast tracking of phases once that happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

SusieBlue wrote: »

A woman rang to talk about her father, who had been isolating alone since late February as he is a widow. He had been finding it very difficult and was extremely lonely, she and her small kids had been calling to visit him from outside the window for the last few weeks but he was quite depressed.

A few weeks ago he broke down and asked her would she please come into the house with the kids for a cup of tea and despite being upset by it, she held tough because her number 1 priority was protecting him from the virus and keeping him safe.
    He found the separation from the grandchildren very difficult but she still abided by the guidelines the government gave in order to do what was best with him.

Well the poor man suffered a heart attack last week and passed away, it happened while he was sleeping and he wasn’t found till the next evening.
    He had spent the last 11 weeks of his life completely miserable on his own and isolated, and to say the woman was heartbroken would be understating it.

It would really make you consider whether coronavirus is really the worst thing out there, the isolation, particularly for elderly people has been extremely downplayed.
    I know everyone wants to protect their parents but I can’t imagine anyone whose parent died in circumstances like that not feeling some guilt. I know I would.

Jesus Christ. At some point people have to make up their own minds as to what they do. I really feel for the woman but ten minutes in the house wouldn’t have killed her father. If my dad called me crying saying he’s depressed and needs company, there’s no amount of government advice that would keep me away. You could be at opposite ends of the room and have a chat. People seem to be brainwashed and it’s not her fault. The amount of absolute dread and fear blasted at people day in, day out is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Thought about that when I saw the old folks out in the sun with disco music playing yesterday next to my house

No social distancing

Residents dancing with each other and staff

Visitors drinking coffees watching on

I should have been disappointed with those lax measures with lockdown on

Was infact happy to see it and smiled

They dont have long left, let them enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I was clearly objecting to the warlike rhetoric of “give their lives” which is obviously completely over the top.

Warlike reference - over the top.

Poor effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I think early June has already been stated as the DSP running out of money to fund the covid payments - would expect we’ll see a panicked fast tracking of phases once that happens
    Govt have approved an increased spend of nearly €7bn for it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

That is so horrible. I can't even begin to imagine how this poor woman and her kids must be feeling right now.

Things like this just make you wonder how short life is sometimes. This poor man must of found it so hard to be isolated for so many weeks. We are living through such awful times :(

• Advertisement

It'll happen, maybe not so soon. I feel sorry for anyone with rent or mortgage problems and hope that banks play fairly and deal sympathetically with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement