Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I heard a very sad story on the radio earlier this week.

A woman rang to talk about her father, who had been isolating alone since late February as he is a widow. He had been finding it very difficult and was extremely lonely, she and her small kids had been calling to visit him from outside the window for the last few weeks but he was quite depressed.

A few weeks ago he broke down and asked her would she please come into the house with the kids for a cup of tea and despite being upset by it, she held tough because her number 1 priority was protecting him from the virus and keeping him safe.
    He found the separation from the grandchildren very difficult but she still abided by the guidelines the government gave in order to do what was best with him.

Well the poor man suffered a heart attack last week and passed away, it happened while he was sleeping and he wasn’t found till the next evening.
    He had spent the last 11 weeks of his life completely miserable on his own and isolated, and to say the woman was heartbroken would be understating it.
    She was devastated that he died like that.

It would really make you consider whether coronavirus is really the worst thing out there, the isolation, particularly for elderly people has been extremely downplayed.
    I know everyone wants to protect their parents but I can’t imagine anyone whose parent died in circumstances like that not feeling some guilt. I know I would.

This is a very sad story but it doesn't take away from the fact it is a very dangerous thing to catch for a man his age(I assume he is 70 plus), and a lot more dangerous than loneliness or depression because of social distancing(which is short term(well relatively,hopefully), while death is not). The daughter was right, how would she feel if he had contracted the virus from her and was hospitalised? I don't get what youre suggesting really, it is unfortunate that there are stories like as result of our social distancing policy, but I don't really see any alternative for somebody who is as at risk as him sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I heard a very sad story on the radio earlier this week.

A woman rang to talk about her father, who had been isolating alone since late February as he is a widow. He had been finding it very difficult and was extremely lonely, she and her small kids had been calling to visit him from outside the window for the last few weeks but he was quite depressed.

A few weeks ago he broke down and asked her would she please come into the house with the kids for a cup of tea and despite being upset by it, she held tough because her number 1 priority was protecting him from the virus and keeping him safe.
    He found the separation from the grandchildren very difficult but she still abided by the guidelines the government gave in order to do what was best with him.

Well the poor man suffered a heart attack last week and passed away, it happened while he was sleeping and he wasn’t found till the next evening.
    He had spent the last 11 weeks of his life completely miserable on his own and isolated, and to say the woman was heartbroken would be understating it.
    She was devastated that he died like that.

It would really make you consider whether coronavirus is really the worst thing out there, the isolation, particularly for elderly people has been extremely downplayed.
    I know everyone wants to protect their parents but I can’t imagine anyone whose parent died in circumstances like that not feeling some guilt. I know I would.

I wonder will you hear the story about how the 11 people who died today contracted the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

is_that_so wrote: »
    Govt have approved an increased spend of nearly €7bn for it today.

Yes but we need them to take a step back and look at the reality - borrowing 7b to fund payment for an extended roadmap is absolutely ridiculous compared to realising that the virus isn’t as bad as originally thought and that a lot of jobs could be restored sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I think early June has already been stated as the DSP running out of money to fund the covid payments - would expect we’ll see a panicked fast tracking of phases once that happens

I wouldn’t. I’d just imagine Tony and simon letting people fall into destitution “for their own good”. Then have a little smirk about.
    They make my blood boil. We need a strong government back of whatever hue to run the bloody country. This carry on is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I wonder will you hear the story about how the 11 people who died today contracted the virus.

It isn’t a competition. Everyone is suffering, get over yourself seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

[HTML][/HTML]

You are a nasty piece of work. Don't you have any sympathy for this woman who lost her father who she has not seen for 11 weeks? who died of a heart attack and didn't even get to say goodbye.

You really need to take a look at yourself in the mirror. Disgusting attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

My wife is a carer in a HSE care home. Her and 36 colleagues tested positive. 4 residents died from COVID. It's an infectious disease that someone with no clear symptoms can pass on. There are worse things than a few more days of lockdown. Much worse.

Its unlikely all 37 staff were infected in the community. It sounds like there's an infection control issue in the nursing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Ivan Yates was interviewing Dr Gabriel Scally President of Public Health at Royal Society of Medicine about half an hour ago........ he says that they are trying to get the new cases down to zero so we need these new restricitons and quarantines! !!! OMG this is never going to be achievable. Are we to become prisoners on this island until Covid is completely irradicated? The first country in the World to do so. Is that what Tony Holohan wants, because its beginning to sound like it?

I posted my suspicion of such a scheme earlier, so I was right! Why aren't they being honest with the public about what they're trying to achieve? It would take years of restrictions, people won't have lives to go back to.

RobitTV wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

You are a nasty piece of work. Don't you have any sympathy for this woman who lost her father who she has not seen for 11 weeks? who died of a heart attack and didn't even get to say goodbye.

You really need to take a look at yourself in the mirror. Disgusting attitude.

She did see him. Did you not read what she wrote?

road_high wrote: »
    I wouldn’t. I’d just imagine Tony and simon letting people fall into destitution “for their own good”. Then have a little smirk about.
    They make my blood boil. We need a strong government back of whatever hue to run the bloody country. This carry on is shocking

To be fair to them they are being cautious but they are overly cautious - the roadmap simply has to be shortened for everyone’s sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

bb1234567 wrote: »
    This is a very sad story but it doesn't take away from the fact it is a very dangerous thing to catch for a man his age(I assume he is 70 plus), and a lot more dangerous than loneliness or depression because of social distancing(which is short term(well relatively,hopefully), while death is not). The daughter was right, how would she feel if he had contracted the virus from her and was hospitalised? I don't get what youre suggesting really, it is unfortunate that there are stories like as result of our social distancing policy, but I don't really see any alternative for somebody who is as at risk as him sadly.

Jesus Christ people like you are absolutely fcukin brainwashed. Having read that story all you appear to conclude is that it’s fair dinkum so long as the “virus risk” is reduced. This isn’t normal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes but we need them to take a step back and look at the reality - borrowing 7b to fund payment for an extended roadmap is absolutely ridiculous compared to realising that the virus isn’t as bad as originally thought and that a lot of jobs could be restored sooner.
    Most of us would see the social solidarity in that and that it was a very good thing to do. It can't go on beyond the summer but by then it will have served its purpose.

She did see him. Did you not read what she wrote?

What more do you want?

It isn’t a competition. Everyone is suffering, get over yourself seriously.

So today you are advocating a story that has somebody abiding by the guidelines, but yesterday it suited you not to. Have you decided what side of the fence you will be on tommorow.

That elderly man, RIP him.

But his death has zero, absolutely zero to do with restrictions, guidelines or lockdowns, and the simple fact that you don’t see is that an awful lot of other 70 year olds will get to hug their grandkids in a little while because we contained the spread of a virus that is particularly lethal to people that age.

What more do you want?

What would you do in that situation? Because if it happened to me the lockdown and everything else could **** off because I’d be out there with them in a flash. What point are you trying to make exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

Its unlikely all 37 staff were infected in the community. It sounds like there's an infection control issue in the nursing home.

Yes. I have my own unfounded theory that when lockdown started those decision makers said 'We' ve X amounts of PPE, equipment, etc', in carehomes they have residents who are more prone to illness and at risk of death anyway, we'll divert resources elsewhere for now'.

What more do you want?

If you brought some accuracy to your posts it would help. She did see him, and pretty regularly, but she did the right thing and avoided physical contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This story is awful, so sad. All he wanted was contact with his family :(.

So you're saying it's ok for people to die of other causes, but just as long as it's not of Covid?
    What on earth has become of us as a nation?

So you're saying it's ok for people to die of other causes, but just as long as it's not of Covid?

This is the fear the lockdown merchants and our own media have beaten in to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

It'll happen, maybe not so soon. I feel sorry for anyone with rent or mortgage problems and hope that banks play fairly and deal sympathetically with them.

Have you ever considered a career in stand up? Fairly and sympathetically my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Nope, it's not what I'm saying, it is what you've managed to infer though somehow and nothing more. COVID though is preventable, what is wrong with trying to save lives by doing that through social distancing? You would seriously think people who are trying to social distance are actively going out murdering people by the way they are talkd about on threads, and we are the ones that are supposedly meant to take a long hard look at ourselves apparently. Jesus H Christ

If you brought some accuracy to your posts it would help. She did see him, and pretty regularly, but she did the right thing and avoided physical contact.

She didn't 'see' him. Looking through a glass pane at someone without being able to touch/have real contact is imprisonment and separation. It's mentally destroying to people, and highlights to the person affected that they are effectively imprisoned in their own homes. Personally if it was me, I would have gone in. Better to spend time with a loved one than for them to die alone and lonely I think.

Nope, it's not what I'm saying, it is what you've managed to infer though somehow, and nothing more. COVID though is preventable, what is wrong with trying to save lives by doing that through social distancing? You would seriously think people who are trying to social distance are actively going out murdering people by the way they are talkd about on threads, and we are the ones that are supposedly meant to take a long hard look at ourselves apparently. Jaysus christ

Because social distancing is bull**** bollixolgy when it comes to family units who live apart - if my parents haven’t had symptoms in the 2 months and neither I have, why the **** should I stand 2 meters away from them when I get to visit? This insidious bull**** is collapsing fast, a rocket launcher to crack a walnut scenario that no amount of media scare mongering will cover up for much longer.

Certain poster on here, who has been attacking workers all week and who only cares about his personal agenda. Very sad to see someome so dismissive of a very sad story.

No shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

"Speaking this evening, Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer at the Department of Health, said the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) today recommended that the HSE “build on the very significant work to date in expanding the testing capacity, to ensure that there is an integrated and coordinated clinical and public health-informed approach to the establishment and implementation of a national testing strategy”.

This is ridiculous, 37k tests carried out last week out of 105k capacity.

Is Tony high or just plain stupid? Doesnt understand that theres little demand for testing..?

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-cases-and-deaths-in-ireland-3-5105501-May2020/

The usual certain poster on here who only cares about his personal agenda. Very sad to see someome so dismissive of a very sad story.

No shame.

Nobody is dismissing it at all, you are simply wearing the **** out of the tiny violin you are holding without any logical or comprehensible response to what you are being asked.

Nope, it's not what I'm saying, it is what you've managed to infer though somehow and nothing more. COVID though is preventable, what is wrong with trying to save lives by doing that through social distancing? You would seriously think people who are trying to social distance are actively going out murdering people by the way they are talkd about on threads, and we are the ones that are supposedly meant to take a long hard look at ourselves apparently. Jesus H Christ

No one is saying that, but if someone was asking me to go in for a cup of tea out of sheer loneliness I would. You can social distance doing it. People can die from multiple things, Covid isn't the only killer, and it won't be despite what the media and NPHET want you to think.
    I know many 70+ year olds...and let me tell you the only thing keeping them going is going for walks & chatting to people, seeing friends on the QT at a social distance. Not isolation in their home for months on end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

This is the fear the lockdown merchants and our own media have beaten in to people.

I’d say it’s the media that has beaten it into the lockdown merchants. You couldn’t really blame anyone for thinking this is the worst thing imaginable as that’s what is being broadcast 24/7. My mam listens to LMFM and it’s just non stop Covid “news”. A constant stream of terror telling people you can’t see your family or the virus will get you and reminders every 10 minutes about how great nurses are.

Just to add also, it has never been in the restrictions that you can’t visit a vulnerable loved one. It’s something that people have adopted themselves due to the abundance of fear instilled in them by the media. You can and should.

She didn't 'see' him. Looking through a glass pane at someone without being able to touch/have real contact is imprisonment and separation. It's mentally destroying to people, and highlights to the person affected that they are effectively imprisoned in their own homes. Personally if it was me, I would have gone in. Better to spend time with a loved one than for them to die alone and lonely I think.

Clearly you’ve lost the plot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Certain poster on here, who has been attacking workers all week and who only cares about his personal agenda. Very sad to see someome so dismissive of a very sad story.

No shame.

Yeah but he gets to play the snarky badass on the internet so it all balances out in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement