Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

RobitTV wrote: »
    Wait a minute, why is this any of your business? Are you going to cast a rosary bead spell on us! :eek:

It’s not my business, it’s just interesting that someone is advocating the removal of life saving restrictions so they can get hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Breezin

We've all met them, including on here!
    From Grace Dent in the Guardian...

how did this woman, who pre-Covid lived and let live, now know exactly who was in her neighbours’ garden? Had she peered from her blinds to count and identify those attending? Had she totted up the cars out front or noted the supermarket bags while listening for the telltale clink of bottles? Or did she wait for the smell of hot charcoal fleeing westward from the neighbours’ garden as clear evidence? And was she really bothered about Covid, or was she simply settling scores for the things that she really resented about next door? And if she taught them a lesson and complained to the authorities, would she be very surprised if some day soon the score would need to be resettled? Like many of us pointing the finger of judgment during these strange times, we’ll soon find it pointing right back.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Or maybe, just maybe, a lot of other countries are more adult in their approach to this? Ireland meanwhile treats its people like kids who **** or piss or the bed -3 weeks between phases up to August for a roadmap to reopening the country when finances hit rock bottom by June?

Won’t be long before ginger thanks your post.
    The type of “adult” you refer to who just wants to go on the lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Out of interest Where does your despair end? do you despair about the new cases today and the simple fact that some of them can be next weeks deaths?
    Do you despair about the 11 who died today?
    Do you despair about how those people caught a virus that we are trying very hard to contain?

As you have no medical background, and your not privy let alone able to interpret the current data it’s no surprise that you don’t see why in a few weeks it will be ok but now it’s not to big the most vulnerable.

Ive kids who have grandkids, none of whom have seen each other in all this time. That’s hard, but that’s necessary because two of those grandparents have very serious illnesses and the most fragile of immune systems.

Of course I do. I think it’s terrible that people are suffering with and dying from covid-19.
    But we have no cure and no vaccine, life must resume at some point and the current restrictions are hurting & having a negative effect on many, many people. Far more people than the 115 corona cases confirmed today, I’d imagine. Far more than the 11 deaths.

The 1.2 million people who are unemployed, the people struggling with isolation, the kids missing out on education, families living with domestic violence, people whose medical appointments and screenings have been cancelled, and those whose loved ones who have died of non covid reasons who never got to say goodbye either.

They are all hurting and struggling, but it seems ‘saving lives’ only matters if it’s coronavirus. The other lives seem not to matter as much.
    We are now sacrificing the many for the very, very few. The actions simply aren’t proportionate to the risk.

It’s a very weak argument to imply I don’t care about these people because I would like to see things eased a bit quicker.
    Whether I have a medical background or not, on a forum like this my opinion holds as much value as anyone else’s so you may get down off your high horse about interpreting data.

Community transmission is at almost zero, so why will it be ok in a few weeks and not now? What’s going to change in that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

It’s not my business, it’s just interesting that someone is advocating the removal of life saving restrictions so they can get hammered.

You might drown by jumping in to a river for the craic where there’s no life ring installed to save you - should the other 4.799999 of us wait indefinitely inside until they install one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

If ever there was a soundly calculated and scientifically proven reason for a serious public health decision to be made in this country it’s because some blonde bacon eating fella in a different country can get a fade.

Well no it's a sign that the rest of Europe has gone ahead of us by miles. My friend in Germany has said shops are open all you've to do is wear a mask going in. What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

mean gene wrote: »
    If they say there's a second wave in October open up now and let us live a bit

Zero evidence of a 2nd wave in Australia currently who are going into their Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I am also thinking of booking a weekend getaway in Munich end of July. What do you think? Do you think gardai should detain me for not wanting to watch netflix anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

People posting here completely disregard individuals appetite for risk and for what they want to do and how they want to live.

Take below for example

"For motorcycles 78.3% of reported crashes result in injury and 4.24% of crashes are fatal. Statistics from other countries confirm the US data. The UK Department for Transport indicated that motorcycles have 16 times the rate of serious injuries, people either killed or injured, compared to cars."

Are we to stop all people from motorcycles and get them to drive cars only?

So if that old man wanted to hug his grandchildren, is he mad? Are his grandchildren mad? More importantly, are they all healthy? Yes. They all had 97.5% chance of not having covid. (national statistic for testing shows 2.5% positive testing results). He shouldve taken the risk, oh wait he wanted to take the risk, its his daughter that let him down. And she will live with regret for a long time now. Unfortunately.

You are the most dishonest poster on this entire board, your views change with the wind. A while ago the line you were feeding was that nearly everyone in Europe has probably had the virus because it is so mild most didn't even know they had, and that the official confirmations were a basically useless metric. Now only 2.5% of the nation have had the virus and a 97.5% chance that most people don't have it. Which is it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well no it's a sign that the rest of Europe has gone ahead of us by miles. My friend in Germany has said shops are open all you've to do is wear a mask going in. What's wrong with that?
    Because apparently us Irish are thick idiots or our circumstances are somehow different or you just hate your grandparents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

lawrencesummers do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Because social distancing is bull**** bollixolgy when it comes to family units who live apart - if my parents haven’t had symptoms in the 2 months and neither I have, why the **** should I stand 2 meters away from them when I get to visit? This insidious bull**** is collapsing fast, a rocket launcher to crack a walnut scenario that no amount of media scare mongering will cover up for much longer.

In Denmark the social distancing is ONE meter. ONE ... For 3 weeks there has been no sign that infections have increased in line with this reduced distancing yet do we hear anything , even an utterance of this from The CMO at his briefings , nah. He’s too busy double speaking about himself following “the science” and further cautiously dragging us to economic oblivion.

No the type of adult I refer to wants to get back to work and normality- you on the other hand, I can’t tell if you are an adult at all or just a teenager wet dreaming himself that he’s getting 350 a week for **** all and wants it to continue to the end of time.

lawrencesummers do not post in this thread again

I would appreciate a PM to explain this.
    I have followed the guidelines.

dalyboy wrote: »
    In Denmark the social distancing is ONE meter. ONE ... For 3 weeks there has been no sign that infections have increased in line with this reduced distancing yet do we hear anything , even an utterance of this from The CMO at his briefings , nah. He’s too busy double speaking about himself following “the science” and further cautiously dragging us to economic oblivion.

We want our pats on the back from the EU and others to tell us how good we are doing and how careful we are - we get a gold star if we make it to August without the pubs open or civil unrest in the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah he must be at least 35+ given the Netflix fixation tbf.

ixoy wrote: »
    Because apparently us Irish are thick idiots or our circumstances are somehow different or you just hate your grandparents.

Was there giant ques to get Big Mac's in any other countries?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I would appreciate a PM to explain this.
    I have followed the guidelines.

Mod
    You could have asked for this by pm instead of showboating on the thread. Now you have a yellow card for ignoring a mod instruction and if you post in this thread one more time, for any reason, you will be banned from the Covid forum. I assume that is clear enough

Everyone else, lets move on please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Zero evidence of a 2nd wave in Australia currently who are going into their Winter.

That's great hopefully we won't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Wonder why Harris didn’t go the whole hog like the UK making quarantine mandatory?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

No because no other country in the world eats junk food other than the worthless Irish. Of course you're a golden skinned 7 foot toned Adonis.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    You are the most dishonest poster on this entire board, your views change with the wind. A while ago the line you were feeding was that nearly everyone in Europe has probably had the virus because it is so mild most didn't even know they had, and that the official confirmations were a basically useless metric. Now only 2.5% of the nation have had the virus and a 97.5% chance that most people don't have it. Which is it?

What in the gods name are you talking about?

HSE test people. They tested 37 000 people last week. POSITIVE RESULT 2.5% FOR ACTIVE CORONA VIRUS.

What has that got to do with antibody testing that would show 15% + of population in Germany, Iceland etc of the sample having covid antibodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Not at all, I’m still on the same side of the fence that I was on yesterday.
    I’m despairing at the level of fear that has been conditioned into the general public.
    Tony & the government have spent the last 2 and a half months implying anyone in close contact with the elderly is all but a granny killer, people are so afraid now from all the negativity and scaremongering that they can’t even make rational decisions for themselves.

I’m despairing at the fact that these overzealous, unnecessary restrictions have caused an elderly man to die alone and isolated after spending the last few weeks of his life absolutely miserable. I think that’s tragic and it was totally avoidable.

The spread is contained, and the curve has been flattened so I don’t see why it’ll be safe for 70+ Year olds to hug their grandkids in a few weeks but not now. That doesn’t even make sense. It’s the same virus, it hasn’t changed at all.
    I agree about the amount of scare mongering. Things have never been explained properly to the general public. Its all headlines of horror. The fact is not every elderly person who gets Covid will die. There has to be risk assessment. Some will get over it better than younger people. That poor old man may have had a heart attack due to the stress and fear of being alone and thinking he is doomed. If his daughter had gone in for the tea and kept a distance it would have prob been Ok. This fear narrative around old people is because the health service cant cope. I think people will have to do sensible and informed risk assessments and go from there. We cant just lock all people away for the next year. They will have to make more provision in hospitals if this is to go on.

dalyboy wrote: »

Also to note they have restaurants, shops, barbers, schools, well they have everything opened as far as I know except for concerts.

So everything opened, social distancing 1 metre does not equal spike in cases or deaths. Yet we need to wait 2 months and 3 weeks more to see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

bb1234567 wrote: »
    This is a very sad story but it doesn't take away from the fact it is a very dangerous thing to catch for a man his age(I assume he is 70 plus), and a lot more dangerous than loneliness or depression because of social distancing(which is short term(well relatively,hopefully), while death is not). The daughter was right, how would she feel if he had contracted the virus from her and was hospitalised? I don't get what youre suggesting really, it is unfortunate that there are stories like as result of our social distancing policy, but I don't really see any alternative for somebody who is as at risk as him sadly.

There's currently about 5000 people infected in Ireland, possibly 10,000 at most if you include asymptomatic. The chances of her infecting him were 0.2% at most. Even if he was infected he probably had a 90% chance of survival. So the chances of her visit killing him were about 0.02%.

According to the Irish media and government the chances are 100%. They don't do proportions.

Turns out stress was the more likely chance of him dying.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    No because no other country in the world eats junk food other than the worthless Irish. Of course you're a golden skinned 7 foot toned Adonis.

Didnt mean to trigger you so bad.

I was just wondering did other countries have the same severe need as us. Granted the majority of Irish are overweight so I guess it shoulda been expected.

Still though plenty examples of the general population not being the brightest bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Probably not because they never closed anyhow and McDonald’s reopening was hyped stupidly up and limited. They should have opened all their places up, everyone of them, you’d swear they’d hadn’t ran successfully for decades the drama they ran with. “Trial runs” etc.
    The longer stupid pointless lockdowns persist the more likely queues become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I was just wondering did other countries have the same severe need as us. Granted the majority of Irish are overweight so I guess it shoulda been expected.

Still though plenty examples of the general population not being the brightest bunch.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/healthwellbeing/our-priority-programmes/heal/key-facts/#overweight

37% overweight. Not the majority by a long shot.

Yeah us fat dumb Irish people need our McDonald's like the swine we are. If only we could all be perfect like you.

• Advertisement

There's currently about 5000 people infected in Ireland, possibly 10,000 at most if you include asymptomatic. The chances of her infecting him were 0.2% at most. Even if he was infected he probably had a 90% chance of survival. So the chances of her visit killing him were about 0.02%.

According to the Irish media and government the chances are 100%. They don't do proportions.

Turns out stress was the more likely chance of him dying.

Just to correct you real quick theres 3,500 active cases in Ireland.

I fully agree with your post otherwise. The insane hysteria of "he could be infected" "she could be infected" "kids are super spreaders" is beyond insane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement