Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

There's currently about 5000 people infected in Ireland, possibly 10,000 at most if you include asymptomatic. The chances of her infecting him were 0.2% at most. Even if he was infected he probably had a 90% chance of survival. So the chances of her visit killing him were about 0.02%.

According to the Irish media and government the chances are 100%. They don't do proportions.

Turns out stress was the more likely chance of him dying.

Just to correct you real quick theres 3,500 active cases in Ireland.

I fully agree with your post otherwise. The insane hysteria of "he could be infected" "she could be infected" "kids are super spreaders" is beyond insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I fully agree with your post otherwise. The insane hysteria of "he could be infected" "she could be infected" "kids are super spreaders" is beyond insane

3,500 out of ~4.8 million - let’s let that sink in for a minute here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I had a slight feeling that HSE figures would cause confusion in this thread.

Unless you want to claim Obese means lighter than overweight you can add the 23% that are obese on that makes 60%.

60% is more than 50%

Therefore the majority are overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Antibody tests show that around 9/10 tests are missed through official testing. This was the crux of your argument for why the illness was so mild a week ago. Now your claim the exact opposite for your new ramblings , great consistency of your arguments there

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pjohnson wrote: »
    Was there giant ques to get Big Mac's in any other countries?
    There were initial queues of people, safely in cars, in six locations going for a treat on the first day of opening. Hardly a damning indictment of health.

Also a three hour queue in France for example.Or queues in the UK. Or Switzerland. Or Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

ixoy wrote: »
    There were initial queues of people, safely in cars, in six locations going for a treat on the first day of opening. Hardly a damning indictment of health.

Also a three hour queue in France for example.

No only Irish people eat fast food. Every other country lives off broccoli and kale soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Blaze420 wrote: »
    3,500 out of ~4.8 million - let’s let that sink in for a minute here

those are the people that have been tested, and are isolating at the minute, theres multiples of that not tested/ asymptomatic / pre-symptomatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I had a slight feeling that HSE figures would cause confusion in this thread.

Unless you want to claim Obese means lighter than overweight you can add the 23% that are obese on that makes 60%.

60% is more than 50%

Therefore the majority are overweight.

All jokes aside they’re actually shocking numbers. I wouldn’t have guessed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Guys sone of you mentioned earlier you had written to express your views to tds.
    I want to do this too, have you got a template of what you sent them perhaps?
    I think the more people that speak up now about this bankrupting horse****e the better.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    No only Irish people eat fast food. Every other country lives off broccoli and kale soup.

Christ I didn't mean to cause such trauma do you. Do you want me to send you a box of nuggies to recover?

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Antibody tests show that around 9/10 tests are missed through official testing. This was the crux of your argument for why the illness was so mild a week ago. Now your claim the exact opposite for your new ramblings , great consistency of your arguments there

Unless you start providing links to meaningful peer reviewed scientific published studies/research backing up your claims, you are talking rubbish.

PS you havent provided a single link for any of your 30 posts today. whats up with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Christ I didn't mean to cause such trauma do you. Do you want me to send you a box of nuggies to recover?

No thanks have em yourself. Might improve your attitude.

road_high wrote: »
    Guys sone of you mentioned earlier you had written to express your views to tds.
    I think the more people that speak up now about this bankrupting horse****e the better.

Just speak your mind. It will be most effective.

Dont sugar coating anything.

All jokes aside they’re actually shocking numbers. I wouldn’t have guessed that.

Its been an ongoing shítshow for a long time tbh.

Dunno how most people actually seem unaware.

But as ioxy pointed out France had 3 hour ques so other countries go banana's for McDonalds aswell. Its tasty but not sure if its worth THAT much of a wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

road_high wrote: »

I would do similar but my local TD is the minister for health. Doubt there'll be a reply there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

But as ioxy pointed out France had 3 hour ques so other countries go banana's for McDonalds aswell. Its tasty but not sure if its worth THAT much of a wait!

Have no issue with people wanting to go and get one but feck that 3 hours I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Wonder why Harris didn’t go the whole hog like the UK making quarantine mandatory?
    Not politically feasible.
    This is a serious breach of their unity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ixoy wrote: »

Also a three hour queue in France for example.Or queues in the UK. Or Switzerland. Or Spain.

All sad people

Unless you start providing links to meaningful peer reviewed scientific published studies/research backing up your claims, you are talking rubbish.

PS you havent provided a single link for any of your 30 posts today. whats up with that?

Heres a link for you

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-23/new-york-finds-virus-marker-in-13-9-suggesting-wide-spread
    'A New York study seeking to measure the spread of the new coronavirus found that 13.9% of 3,000 people tested across the state had signs of the virus, one of the biggest U.S. reviews to date.

That implies that about 2.7 million residents may have had Covid-19, Governor Andrew Cuomo said. That’s about 10 times more than the official count based on the state’s testing, which covered mostly very sick patients.
    '
    So what say you now Ginger and Lemon? So which is it, hardly anybody in the population has covid and we have a miniscule chance of contracting it from each other, or many people have it and the fact we have found so few cases means it is a really mild illness? What are you choosing on the menu for your arguments today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Breezin wrote: »
    Not politically feasible.
    This is a serious breach of their unity.

Not legal. At least within the EU. These guys are going nuts.

• Advertisement

Have no issue with people wanting to go and get one but feck that 3 hours I wouldn't bother.

Even queing at the drive thru for however long it was here was daft. You'd be feckin starved by the time ya got any food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Yeah you wouldn’t have caught me in that queue that’s for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Heres a link for you

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-23/new-york-finds-virus-marker-in-13-9-suggesting-wide-spread

'
    So what say you now Ginger and Lemon? So which is it, hardly anybody in the population has covid and we have a miniscule chance of contracting it from each other, or many people have it and the fact we have found so few cases means it is a really mild illness? What are you choosing on the menu for your arguments today?

So reading this - the fatality rate is lower than what they thought, and in fact the damage this is doing economically and to society is disproportionate.

Why are we continuing to lock down the country, hinder business, cause job losses and restrict freedoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Say you see your parents after going to the park or going
    shopping in theory you could catch the virus from anyone
    Some people have no symptoms for 5 days after getting
    the virus. Many young people get it and recover after a few
    weeks some by just staying home unless the symptoms get severe. People over 60 are much more vulnerable if they get the virus they will need to go to hospital and they
    will probably end up in an icu unit
    Right now there, s probably 1000,s of young people who have the virus but do not know it yet. These social distance rules are there for a reason. Most people cannot stay at home 24/7. They have to work or else go
    out to buy food. Just because you are young and healthy
    does not mean you cannot get the virus. I go to the shop
    Its very difficult to stay 6foot from other people
    when you in a food isle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Chr1st, enough with the McDonalds - Jezus H.

I would do similar but my local TD is the minister for health. Doubt there'll be a reply there.

I’d say go for it. The little ego maniac would like to hear from you! I’m in a neighbouring constituency all backbench rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Even queing at the drive thru for however long it was here was daft. You'd be feckin starved by the time ya got any food.
    That'd result in you ordering more than intended which a win for the business.

So reading this - the fatality rate is lower than what they thought, and in fact the damage this is doing economically and to society is disproportionate.

Why are we continuing to lock down the country, hinder business, cause job losses and restrict freedoms?

It's pretty much inline with what has been theorised for a long time, around 1%. I agree the reaction is disproportionate though.

Heres a link for you

'

Well first off you havent provided a link to any scientific peer reviewed published study. You provided a link from bloomberg.com

2nd off I think that 0.5% mortality rate mentioned is a bit too high, even for 25% obese population of NYC.

"It also means that the fatality rate is likely lower than implied by merely examining confirmed cases and deaths. If 2.7 million people have been infected, that would put the fatality rate at about 0.5%, based on the death count of 15,500 the state used to make its calculation. Since then, the number of deaths in New York has risen to 15,740."

But 3rd and most importantly, what are you trying to say? are you trying to say covid mortality rate is closer to a flu? Cus couple of pages back you said covid mortality is more likely to be 1% yet you link a BBG article talking about a "study" showing 0.5% mortality.

Btw lets not go off topic too much as this thread is about lifting restrictions in Ireland, not antibodies on another continent.

• Advertisement

Take or leave McDonald’s but each to their own. They shouldn’t have closed anyhow but were guilt tripped into it like so many other businesses back in March when the killing granny mobs had their pitchforks out for anyone that didn’t conform.
    The Covid free supermarkets were grand though, almost heroic patriots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement