Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I am going to walk on a beach 30km away from my house, where I won’t come into contact with anyone. The same amount of people I would come into contact with if I walked the roads near my house. An intense shame won’t overwhelm me at all, I’d come into more contact if I went to my local Aldi or tesco. Freak.

Enjoy the walk and using your common sense :).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just FYI ...

In Germany there are 50 people in quarantine after seven people got infected during a single restaurant visit.

Restrictions were eased there on the 11th of May

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellschaft/coronavirus-50-menschen-in-quarantaene-nach-ausbruch-in-niedersaechsischem-restaurant-a-aca463ed-16d9-4fa5-85c6-5aa8ec836fc4

This happened despite a hygiene and distancing protocol in place that the German restaurants association says makes infection impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I am going to walk on a beach 30km away from my house, where I won’t come into contact with anyone. The same amount of people I would come into contact with if I walked the roads near my house. An intense shame won’t overwhelm me at all, I’d come into more contact if I went to my local Aldi or tesco. Freak.

Our experts and administrators wouldn’t have created silly pointless rules. There are good reasons why you were told to stay within 5km of your house. People are much more likely to cough or sneeze when they think nobody is looking, on a beach for example. What do you need to go there for anyway, the view is it? I am sure there are plenty places to walk within your own exercise circle. Think about it son before you do something stupid. You might think you are edgy and cool for disobeying the rules but the reality it is antisocial behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Our experts and administrators wouldn’t have created silly pointless rules. There are good reasons why you were told to stay within 5km of your house. People are much more likely to cough or sneeze when they think nobody is looking, on a beach for example. What do you need to go there for anyway, the view is it? I am sure there are plenty places to walk within your own exercise circle. Think about it son before you do something stupid. You might think you are edgy and cool for disobeying the rules but the reality it is antisocial behaviour.

So people could cough or sneeze on a beach just like they could on the boreen by my house. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The beach is massive as is the car park, I won’t come near anyone else thanks for your concern. Keep wearing your masks and gloves while you’re driving, that makes an awful lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

peasant wrote: »
    Just FYI ...

In Germany there are 50 people in quarantine after seven people got infected during a single restaurant visit.

Restrictions were eased there on the 11th of May

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellschaft/coronavirus-50-menschen-in-quarantaene-nach-ausbruch-in-niedersaechsischem-restaurant-a-aca463ed-16d9-4fa5-85c6-5aa8ec836fc4

This happened despite a hygiene and distancing protocol in place that the German restaurants association says makes infection impossible.

Common sense would say once its an inside space you dont want to be in an enclosed space with lots of people talking.
    Restaurants need to be outside or open fronted at a minimum

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Jaysus I remember why I ignore all these covid threads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭VonLuck

the kelt wrote: »
    Someone tell me again why we cannot treat certain areas of the country differently to others?

Because it's harder to implement, cause confusion and would cause divide between people.

Imagine telling someone just on the Dublin side of the border that you can only travel 5km and then on the other side of the border in Meath they could go 20km. Someone theoretically travel further into Dublin than someone in Dublin could travel.

You would have to start creating loads of little rules and would become a muddled mess. It's simpler just to have a nation wide restriction and hope that people would use common sense. Most people would not judge someone going for a 20km hike in the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’ll be driving 30km to walk on the beach in Mayo where I won’t come into contact with anyone can’t wait. These restrictions are nonsense.

I went to a quiet and deserted beach yesterday, windswept and wild, its about 10km from my house. My local beach is now much busier and cars everywhere since 2km was relaxed , and this is understandable. I prefer quieter places.

I put up a few photos of the waves on FBook as the waves were spectacular.
    Immediately got a comment about "you were outside your 5km" weren't you! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I live alone, drive my car alone, walk alone on a deserted beach, deliberately picked it because its so deserted....... yet the curtain twitchers who are too paralyzed by fear are on the phone to the Gardai!

If people are too afraid to go out that's fine but at this stage please mind your own business. I don't understand people queueing for hours in their pyjamas for a Big Mac but that's their business and I don't feel the need to comment here or anywhere else about it. There are far too many self rightous busy bodies about. At this stage I understand completely people's frustration, and if they want to go for a run, a cycle, a hike, a burger, a swim at the 40 foot, go outside their pathethic 5km , I applaud them. England, Northern Ireland and none of Europe have a 5km rule. They are free to go where they want to exercise, they are being treated like adults, not kids .
    We have done this for 10 weeks and have ticked every single box we were asked to tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The comments here get more and more retarded. Yes of course it's more acceptable to cough and sneeze outdoors with no-one around you than with people around.

Maybe they should also ban people from their bedrooms in case they cough/sneeze there when no-one's looking :rolleyes:

"Don't go anywhere isolated, you might sneeze or cough", jasus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Jaysus I remember why I ignore all these covid threads

Probably best you do, you seem a nervous sort

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

So people could cough or sneeze on a beach just like they could on the boreen by my house. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The beach is massive as is the car park, I won’t come near anyone else thanks for your concern. Keep wearing your masks and gloves while you’re driving, that makes an awful lot of sense.

Studies have shown you are less likely to cough on your doorstep amigo. You wouldn’t want your neighbors thinking you have the virus. Caution gets thrown to the wind when you think you are anonymously coughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Studies have shown you are less likely to cough on your doorstep amigo. You wouldn’t want your neighbors thinking you have the virus. Caution gets thrown to the wind when you think you are anonymously coughing.

So we cant cough now for fear our neighbours will think we have a virus?? :D You have a strange view of things. I think out of anyone it is you who needs to go out to a secluded beach and get some clean healthy invigorating fresh air...trust me it will clear out that brain of yours of all this covid19 bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

the kelt wrote: »
    Seen this morning that Wexford General hospital is now Covid free.

In going to head off this morning for my Saturday morning run and will be at certain stages of the run further than 5 k from my house, effectively breaking the law and essentially worse than hitler according to some on here.

I use the mountain bike trails in my local forest for my run so literally meet no one as any mountain bikers up there use the newer trails but again will be more than 5k from my house which is apparently not right.

Yet someone in Stephens green can stroll out as far as ucd and back coming in contact with hundreds of people but that’s alright!

Someone tell me again why we cannot treat certain areas of the country differently to others?

If you get stopped just telling them you're raising money for SVP.
    It worked for cross-country travelling Daniel O'Donnell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

PaddyGreen is a joke account lads :pac: Pretty funny too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

37 posts per day, 2044 thanks from 500 posts.

Damn I actually feel much better now thanks :)

Thank you for your encouragement, check out my above posts about pubs being able to operate during lockdown.

I just think it's hilarious you'd attempt to lecture another poster about "getting a life" when you've that many posts in a short space of time. You need to get some air.

Boasting about the amount of thanks :D

I'll leave you to it. Enjoy the echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

PaddyGreen is a joke account lads :pac: Pretty funny too.

Ordinarily that would be the view alright but I'm afraid there are so many people out there just like him. It is scary the mentality of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

silverharp wrote: »
    Common sense would say once its an inside space you dont want to be in an enclosed space with lots of people talking.
    Restaurants need to be outside or open fronted at a minimum

Common sense is that proper contact tracing work's
    7 confirmed cases all related to one another.
    The other 43 were considered close contacts so we're asked to self isolate.
    This is what people need to realize that we are going to have to live along with the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

I put up a few photos of the waves on FBook as the waves were spectacular.

Why did you do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

Leo says no change to 2 meter rule, what a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There are a handful of deaths a day now. Surprised the media arent scaremongering with the daily cancer death figures, reduce stress, eat healthier, stop smoking and we can bring the cancer figures down too...

Lads of you never left your houses , there would be less chance of you dying early...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mr zulu wrote: »

No he says public health advice hasn't changed regarding it which it hasn't. Cabinet to meet CMO next week should a suitable time be found for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

No he says public health advice hasn't changed regarding it which it hasn't. Cabinet to meet CMO next week should a suitable time be found for all.

As someone said earlier in the thread, when it suits their agenda they will change the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Public heaory dvuxe in this banana republic he means? Because the germans and many other countries allowing smaller distances

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

mr zulu wrote: »

I think it's time both Varadkar and Harris were self isolated at this stage.

12 years ago FF ran the country into the ground but these two seem hellbent on leading us down the same road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

prunudo wrote: »
    As someone said earlier in the thread, when it suits their agenda they will change the rules.

Yup 100%, I'd be surprised if a new government didn't make a few changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I just think it's hilarious you'd attempt to lecture another poster about "getting a life" when you've that many posts in a short space of time. You need to get some air.

Boasting about the amount of thanks :D

I'll leave you to it. Enjoy the echo chamber.

So you're taking your ball and going home? Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I’ll be driving 30km to walk on the beach in Mayo where I won’t come into contact with anyone can’t wait. These restrictions are nonsense.

I drove to the beach the other day and it was still blocked off with bloody bouncer manning it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Just regarding Sweden... I know, I can almost feel the hackles rising though my screen... but, it's acknowledged by both government and NPHET that Sweden has approximately the same fatality rate as Ireland. It's agreed. At least for the moment.

Source:

Interestingly though, the CMO points out that it's the numbers they have in ICU that is the difference rather than the fatality rate. If you adjust for population, we would have the equivalent of 200 in ICU rather than 50.

The question is, why are their ICU numbers so high? - if the admittance criteria are the same then our system would have struggled with those numbers (struggled, but not have been overwhelmed with extra-capacity factored in).

So then, are the admittance criteria for ICU the same in Ireland and Sweden?

If yes - was the viral load circulating higher on account of businesses staying open, so those infected had more serious symptoms needing more critical care?

Or, are the criteria for admittance different as capacity for ICU is much higher in Sweden - in other words would we have put more people in ICU if we had more free ICU beds?

The minutes are worth a read if anyone else, like me, has a lot of time on their hands and interested in bigger picture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement