Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think it's time both Varadkar and Harris were self isolated at this stage.

12 years ago FF ran the country into the ground but these two seem hellbent on leading us down the same road.

The electorate gave them the two fingers a few months ago based on years of incompetence and we still have these fcukimg clowns running things

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I hope the Gardai detect you. Are you an expert? What makes you think that you know more than the experts? It’s people like you that ruin the ‘we are all in it together’ buzz for those of us that do listen to experts advice. I also hope a feeling of intense shame overwhelms you as you walk down that beach.

The new Ireland, Just shows the Irish mentality is not too far attached from the nuns and priests days of enforcing shame on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I am pro economics as you all may know, but given the shambles occurring on our national television over the last 3 months and the constant fear mongering

"RTÉ sought emergency funding from Government due to Covid-19
    Broadcaster said fall in licence fee income meant it needed emergency funds

State-owned broadcaster RTÉ sought emergency funding from the Government as a result of a decline in licence fee income due to the Covid-19 pandemic, with the organisation forecasting a possible €118 million fall in revenues."

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-sought-emergency-funding-from-government-due-to-covid-19-1.4260109?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fmedia-and-marketing%2Frt%25C3%25A9-sought-emergency-funding-from-government-due-to-covid-19-1.4260109

In theory we want to save jobs, but this one isnt as clear cut. Maybe, just maybe, if they did a better job at reporting both sides of the story (you know, mysterious recovered cases that are like 21k out of 24k in this country alone) and stop constant charade shows showing what future of hairdressers would be like (which is way different to what hairdressing looks like in modern Europe now after lockdowns) people wouldnt be so reluctant to pay their licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

bush wrote: »
    I drove to the beach the other day and it was still blocked off with bloody bouncer manning it :(

Proper order. Some councils are very forward thinking with their proactive enforcement measures. Beaches are mostly state property and the rules say only people who live within 5km of a beach can use it. We need to hold firm and listen to the expert consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

road_high wrote: »
    They employ a good few in Ireland too don’t they. If I’m sure mr Harris no degree will have plenty of pearls of wisdom for the newly unemployed staff

Do you really think tourists would have come regardless of the governments lockdown during a pandemic?

Come on planes were grounded all over the world basically.

Bit naive to blame that on Simon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I am pro economics as you all may know, but given the shambles occurring on our national television over the last 3 months and the constant fear mongering

"RTÉ sought emergency funding from Government due to Covid-19
    Broadcaster said fall in licence fee income meant it needed emergency funds

State-owned broadcaster RTÉ sought emergency funding from the Government as a result of a decline in licence fee income due to the Covid-19 pandemic, with the organisation forecasting a possible €118 million fall in revenues."

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-sought-emergency-funding-from-government-due-to-covid-19-1.4260109?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fmedia-and-marketing%2Frt%25C3%25A9-sought-emergency-funding-from-government-due-to-covid-19-1.4260109

In theory we want to save jobs, but this one isnt as clear cut. Maybe, just maybe, if they did a better job at reporting both sides of the story (you know, mysterious recovered cases that are like 21k out of 24k in this country alone) and stop constant charade shows showing what future of hairdressers would be like (which is way different to what hairdressing looks like in modern Europe now after lockdowns) people wouldnt be so reluctant to pay their licence fee.

Every company will restructure and RTE needs to do the same, paying presenters scandalous money to tell us to "double Down" and offer crap programming.. Might be the right time for a big rethink about the neccesity of the national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A neighbour of ours died from cancer earlier in the week and we went to visit his wife, without hugging her or anything.
    When you live a few doors away from someone for 30 years it’s difficult to avoid those things

SNNUS wrote: »
    Every company will restructure and RTE needs to do the same, paying presenters scandalous money to tell us to "double Down" and offer crap programming.. Might be the right time for a big rethink about the neccesity of the national broadcaster.

RTE have been and are absolutely essential during this crisis. The news of developments and instructions on how to properly behave couldn’t have been put across to the public without them. Add to that the fact that the warm and familiar faces of its presenters and personalities have been great comfort to the responsible people holding firm during this essential lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

RTE have been and are absolutely essential during this crisis. The news of developments and instructions on how to properly behave couldn’t have been put across to the public without them. Add to that the fact that the warm and familiar faces of its presenters and personalities have been great comfort to the responsible people holding firm during this essential lockdown.

Funniest post I've read yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Paddy you should get your own RTE show. It'd be better than half the ****e they show atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

The methods by which the criteria are assessed regarding relaxation or imposition of restrictions have not been made available even to government. CMO's reluctance to release the information to the public/government is apparent in this snippet of back and forth between Roisin Shorthall and CMO, below.

Regarding the R-nought, it is based on the summation of three models and

Deputy Róisín Shortall: Will Dr. Holohan publish that model?

Dr. Tony Holohan:
    it is due to be published. I would have to check with the chair but my understanding is that the work is going through a peer review process at the moment. I cannot honestly tell the Deputy right now what the timeline is in that regard but the intention is to publish that.

Deputy Róisín Shortall: It is important and

Dr. Tony Holohan: Absolutely, I agree entirely.

Deputy Róisín Shortall:
    I wonder why it has not been done.

Dr. Tony Holohan: With regard to the expertise, we have a range of different expertise atthe NPHET in respect of our public health assessments. There is a range of epidemiological and mathematical modelling expertise, public health, geriatrics, psychiatry and a range of other supporting specialties.

Deputy Róisín Shortall: Again, would Dr. Holohan commit to publishing those risk assessments for the big decisions taken, for example, in respect of the construction industry, schools or whatever? It is important that we are aware of the basis.

Dr. Tony Holohan: Regarding those assessments, let us say an assessment relating to a school setting, some of that work in some of those circumstances will be done by the relevant sector. We give public health advice and we support other sectors in the decisions they have to make on the actions they need to take, internalising our public health advice into the way they
    organise the

Deputy Róisín Shortall: Would Dr. Holohan favour publication of those risk assessments?

Dr. Tony Holohan: Any of the material we have available to us, which is our public health consideration, we frame it in the minutes and publish. I have no difficulty in making that available.

Chairman: You said the assessment is being peer reviewed and you cannot tell us now what the timeline is. Can you let us know by correspondence what the timeline is likely to be?

Dr. Tony Holohan: I just wish to check with Professor Philip Nolan, who is chair of the group. He is leading that work. I just do not know that piece of information at the moment.

Chairman: You can provide it by correspondence.

Dr. Tony Holohan: I know the intention is to publish that model.

Chairman: You can let us know, roughly, what the timeline is anticipated to be.

Dr. Tony Holohan: Yes, I will find that out and let you know

Boring read, but why is the information being peer-reviewed before release, when it has already been used as a base to make such huge decisions on health, social and economic policy?

Denmark released its detailed risk assessment on return to schools and that helped greatly in the high buy-in from public.

Just make the information available and the public will be educated about the level of risk they are taking on return to schools, workplaces, entering small retail shops, restaurants etc.

Continue to leave us in the dark and all we have to measure risk by is RTE's biased coverage and social media's fear and shame campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Those Oireachtas committees are a waste of time.
    What qualifications do those asking the questions have?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Rodin wrote: »
    Those Oireachtas committees are a waste of time.
    What qualifications do those asking the questions have?

No more than Harris. So none then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

bb1234567 wrote: »

that's the Swedish model applied to a country who doesn't care, but we are so much better, it would never happen here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Penfailed

prunudo wrote: »
    As someone said earlier in the thread, when it suits their agenda they will change the rules.

This is nonsense. Do you think the 2m rule will be in place forever?! Of course it will change. I'm not sure what the 'agenda' is though?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Paddy you should get your own RTE show. It'd be better than half the ****e they show atm.

Not the first time that has been said, my own mother says I should have been on the Telly. I’d probably wet myself if I could hang out with Ryan and the lads in the corridors of RTE, even if we do have to socially distance. I saw him in the distance in the crowd at a rugby match once and I was so transfixed I couldn’t even tell you who won the game. He is inspirational, a covid19 survivor who went straight back to the grindstone as soon as he was able. We had uncle Gaybo, now we have uncle Ryano, he has shown that when the chips are down the proverbial boots are on as he boosts people’s morale during this emergency.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    that's the Swedish model applied to a country who doesn't care, but we are so much better, it would never happen here :rolleyes:

Well considering we've a much lower population and population density than Milan and Lombardy as a whole it likely wouldn't.

Well considering we've a much lower population and population density than Milan and Lombardy as a whole it likely wouldn't.

Pubs say hi

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Pubs say hi

What do pubs have to do with population density?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

PaddyGreen is a joke account lads :pac: Pretty funny too.

Paddy was telling us we should in lockdown until a vaccine was found. Hilarious. Keep us laughing Paddy!

What do pubs have to do with population density?

what population density has to do with a picture of a crowded outdoor bar?
    do you think all those people are there because of Milan being overpopulated? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Penfailed wrote: »
    This is nonsense. Do you think the 2m rule will be in place forever?! Of course it will change. I'm not sure what the 'agenda' is though?

Its not nonsense, the Irish government have put their own slant on the lockdown rules. They have shown little thought for the knock consequences and will change rules when it suits, homewares typo or fast forwarding horse racing are two perfect examples. The homeware shops are no different to hardware or supermarkets but they didn't deem people needing sheets or duvets as essential. They're making it up as they along, so yes, they will change the 2m when it suits their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Does he really have no degree?

Dropped out Journalism and French to become a full-time politician.
    Became Minister for Health at age 29. He's now 33.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Harris_(politician)

Country is being run by children, no wonder we're being treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

alta stare wrote: »
    Dont believe for one minute that you are going to be arrested for going beyond 5k. Go for your run and enjoy it. There have been plenty of people parked up and gone off for a walk at the quarry and not a Gaurd to be seen. They haven't been in Barntown as much the past week. Anyway i have to do a good bit of driving myself and iv always been let through the checkpoints.

There is a forest 20k from me and iv gone there a few times. I come in to contact with no one during the drive or when out in the forest. No harm done yet you would swear im murdering people the way some on here go on when they read such things. You are spot on about those in urban areas mingling with each other yet we are being told not to go to a big empty beach or forest. It makes no sense and never really did from the get go.

The scary thing about these restrictions and lockdowns is how quickly people accepted it and adhered to it without question. The 2k 5k travel limits were always a rediculous thing.

I’m not far from forth mountain, might take a spin up there tomorrow morning.

I’ll tell the guards I’m on an essential visit to supermacs in larkins cross, in fact that may be the role on the way home, cheese and curry fries for Sunday dinner :)

Dublin county is much denser than the Lombardy region overall. Lombardy population density 420 /km2, Dublin county 1459 km2

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Dublin county is much denser than the Lombardy region overall. Lombardy population density 420 /km2, Dublin county 1459 km2

Lombardy has 10 million people living in an area the size of Munster. Another example is Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg are the size of Ireland combined and have nearly 20 million. We're very sparse compared to most of Europe

GocRh wrote: »

Ageism. Are you bitter and jealous because Simons talent was spotted early by the people of Wicklow and the Fine Gael top brass? Seems like it.

Lombardy has 10 million people living in an area the size of Munster. Another example is Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg are the size of Ireland combined and have nearly 20 million. We're very sparse compared to most of Europe

Ireland overall is sparse, nor did I claim otherwise. Dublin county on the other hand is not though, at all. Lombardy is 25x times bigger than Dublin county but only 7x times larger population. If you think that the reason an extensive outbreak was facilitated in Lombardy was largely due to it's population density, then you agree that a more extensive outbreak could easily occur in our capital which is 30% of our national population

• Advertisement

GocRh wrote: »

How the hell did he become minister for health without any credentials? Varadker was a dire minister but at least he was a doctor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement