Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Ireland is sparse. Dublin county is not, at all. Lombardy is 25x times bigger than Dublin county but only 7x times larger population. If you think that the reason an extensive outbreak was facilitated in Lombardy largely due to it's population density, then you agree that a more extensive outbreak could easily occur in our capital which is 30% of our national population

Yeah but the unfortunate fact is is that at some point people will have to coexist with people, especially those living in urban centres. We cant all just move out to the wilds of the Mongolian steppe and wait for things to blow over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

prunudo wrote: »
    They're making it up as they along, so yes, they will change the 2m when it suits their agenda.

Go on then...what's the 'agenda'?

Don't you see? The 2m rule simply cannot be recommended forever. It will be relaxed at some stage. Not for some mythical agenda though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Yeah but the unfortunate fact is is that at some point people will have to coexist with people, especially those living in urban centres. We cant all just move out to the wilds of the Mongolian steppe and wait for things to blow over.

Ok and thats a totally different argument and one I agree with. But you said it wouldnt happen in Ireland due to population density which isnt as high as Lombardy , but there is a part of Ireland, Dublin ,where population density is in fact far higher than Lombardy. So to say an outbreak like that is not possible in Ireland because of it's low population density overall is false

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Ageism. Are you bitter and jealous because Simons talent was spotted early by the people of Wicklow and the Fine Gael top brass? Seems like it.

Are you being sarcastic?

It's not ageism. Someone with no qualifications and no experience shouldn't be a minister.

We've been treated like children by the Government and the whole COVID public campaign was based on scaremongering and cheap twitter rhetoric, especially from Simon Harris. His age IS relevant to understand his attitude towards the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I couldnt care less what they studied etc, they are morons, that is the problem ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Our country is 99 years old. Our Health Ministry has probably been the least performing and most controversial Ministry in the history of the State. Now that Ministry through the Minister for Health and the CMO have been given the keys to the State. They are ready to do more damage in 6 months than the 5 years after the financial crisis.

Yesterday they decided to re-align with the U.K. and turn our back on Europe - and how was that safer given where the U.K. is? They were proposing internment for anyone arriving into the country - and seemingly it is still under consideration. The CMO believes his advice is superior to the World Health Organisation.

When this shower are through with their disproportionate control measures there will be very little of the country left. We will have more poverty, more emigration, fewer visitors, and all in a lower standard of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So much mindless hysteria. The restrictions will ease and things will largely go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

MadYaker wrote: »
    So much mindless hysteria. The restrictions will ease and things will largely go back to normal.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/pubs-can-deliver-pints-to-their-customers-again-following-legal-advice-1.4260451

It adds that “persons may also attend the licensed premises and collect the intoxicating liquor purchased as a takeaway, and the same would be deemed a reasonable excuse” under the Covid-19 regulations allowing people to travel more than five kilometres from their homes if they have a “reasonable excuse”

What a country we live in.. The Swiss had a similiar outbreak to us similiar population similar timeframe etc. Their bars are open since the 11th May, their hairdressers shops etc since April. They have had no spike. We can get a pint from a bar here, break a mad 5km limit to get it, however we have to drink it 100m from the bar. Their will be case studies done on the lunacy in Ireland after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

GocRh wrote: »
    Dropped out Journalism and French to become a full-time politician.
    Became Minister for Health at age 29. He's now 33.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Harris_(politician)

Country is being run by children, no wonder we're being treated as such.

Yea in his case it’s very evident he lacks the rounded experience necessary. Has no notion about the economy and how it’s the lynchpin of absolutely everything

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

MadYaker wrote: »

The mindless hysteria comes from the politicians and rte gob****es

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭prunudo

Penfailed wrote: »
    Go on then...what's the 'agenda'?

Don't you see? The 2m rule simply cannot be recommended forever. It will be relaxed at some stage. Not for some mythical agenda though.

Arse covering, that is the no1 game in town, thats their agenda in the snails pace of opening back up.
    They're hiding behind the fact they're in a caretaker position and lacking any backbone to dicuss, let alone make any morally tough calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Lombardy has 10 million people living in an area the size of Munster. Another example is Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg are the size of Ireland combined and have nearly 20 million. We're very sparse compared to most of Europe

it's a silly argument, half of the Irish population live in Dublin.
    Dublin has the density of any other big city in Europe and the virus doesn't need a high density city to spread faster anyway, all it takes is a crowd of people crammed in a bar for long enough. We are very well equipped here in Ireland for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Dublin has the density of any other big city in Europe and the virus doesn't need a high density city to spread faster anyway, all it takes is a crowd of people crammed in a bar for long enough. We are very well equipped here in Ireland for that

Dublin does NOT have half the population of Ireland.
    The whole county has just over a 1/4 of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

GocRh wrote: »
    Dropped out Journalism and French to become a full-time politician.
    Became Minister for Health at age 29. He's now 33.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Harris_(politician)

Country is being run by children, no wonder we're being treated as such.

How on Earth...no wonder it is what it is

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just short of 20% of ALL cases in the RoI are in Dublin North and North West

As of midnight on Monday, the highest number of Covid-19 cases was reported in Dublin North West, with 2,183 cases, followed closely by Dublin North, with 2,164 cases.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/saturday-read-data-on-covid-19-clusters-reveals-communities-most-at-risk-from-second-wave-39228143.html

Airport related?

Rodin wrote: »
    Dublin does NOT have half the population of Ireland.
    The whole county has just over a 1/4 of the population.

You dont think Dublin can facilitate big crowds of people in bars/pubs the same way as any other big city in Europe as seen on the Italian pictures this morning?
    Last time I went to the Barge I could hardly make my way inside

You dont think Dublin can facilitate big crowds of people in bars/pubs the same way as any other big city in Europe as seen on the Italian pictures this morning?

Simply stating that your initial assertion is factually incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Sure let’s just keep them closed and not even try to see if social distancing might work in a pub setting

Sure let’s just keep them closed and not even try to see if social distancing might work in a pub setting

I honestly dont even care, I'm fine either way as we need to move forward
    Surely it makes more sense to me to keep second wave under control instead of sleep walking into it. Crowded bars where people dont wear masks are going to help much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I see Holohan said this morning that "there's no guarantee that we'll ever have a vaccine"

He also reported that the sky is blue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Surely it makes more sense to me to keep second wave under control instead of sleep walking into it. Crowded bars where people dont wear masks are going to help much

I agree. We need to move on and the reality is that That means bars need to reopen. I don’t want to see crowds in them not abiding social distancing either (at least not this side of the new year). We still need to open them and see if management can keep people apart and strictly limit the number of patrons inside.

We need to have sufficient testing and contact tracing capacities alongside this reopening. The answer is not to keep places closed and not try to reopen them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

prunudo wrote: »
    Arse covering, that is the no1 game in town, thats their agenda in the snails pace of opening back up.
    They're hiding behind the fact they're in a caretaker position and lacking any backbone to dicuss, let alone make any morally tough calls.
    Goes for the rest of the political parties too. They're all covering their arses, staying out of FG's way and bringing no criticism in case a) they have to take responsibility and b) with an eye to not screwing any chances of a coalition. They're a bunch of cowardly scumbags almost to a man and woman.
    Dublin has the density of any other big city in Europe
    No they don't and no it hasn't. Not even close. For a start the vast majority of people in Dublin live in houses not apartment blocks. That's a huge difference right there. You only share the air and surfaces with those you already live with, so if an infection is brought in you'll only infect those within that dwelling. If you lived in an apartment the risks of infecting multiple households goes way up. If you live in a house like most go out the door for a walk around the block. Pretty much the only surfaces you'll touch are your front door and the only shared air inside your house. If you live in an apartment you'll share your front door, the corridors, the lift, the stairs, the main door, the very air with dozens even hundreds of others.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I am considering retrofitting masks with straws and making a killing on eBay. I bought several cases of them and as I don’t go out that much ( only for essentials) I need the space back, sick of walking sideways up the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I am considering retrofitting masks with straws and making a killing on eBay. I bought several cases of them and as I don’t go out that much ( only for essentials) I need the space back, sick of walking sideways up the hall.

:D:D:D:D:D

If you arent in stand up comedy you are wasting your talents doing some other job. Its like a football player working for deliveroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Will you do mates rates for fellow boardsies?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just back from a retail estate with a woodies, a few home stores and electrical stores.

Woodies a queue of about 30 mins to get in, inside about 30 people across the store. Could easily get more in while maintaining social distance.

The electrical store 2 people in the store at a time which is a joke the store is massive.

The home store is officially closed but people being let in.

Manager of the electrical store said he knows of plenty of places that shouldn't be open that are open, seems to be a common practise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Does anyone have pictures of this Swedish model?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Just back from a retail estate with a woodies, a few home stores and electrical stores.

Woodies a queue of about 30 mins to get in, inside about 30 people across the store. Could easily get more in while maintaining social distance.

The electrical store 2 people in the store at a time which is a joke the store is massive.

The home store is officially closed but people being let in.

Manager of the electrical store said he knows of plenty of places that shouldn't be open that are open, seems to be a common practise.

Home store should be reported if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

thelad95 wrote: »
    Home store should be reported if that's the case.

Not going to report a business thats trying to make a go of it, they've all the measures in place that would be required of them so why can't they open ? What difference does it make that on the 8th of June they can open. Not going to be a lot different then, the virus wont change to not recognise a homeware store.

If we went around reporting everything half the country would still be shut down. If they've the measures in place let them open

• Advertisement

Not going to report a business thats trying to make a go of it, they've all the measures in place that would be required of them so why can't they open ?

If we went around reporting everything half the country would still be shut down. If they've the measures in place let them open

Because the law told them to stay closed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement