Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Not going to report a business thats trying to make a go of it, they've all the measures in place that would be required of them so why can't they open ?

If we went around reporting everything half the country would still be shut down. If they've the measures in place let them open

Because the law told them to stay closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Rodin wrote: »

But yet I can go online to Harvey norman and get something delivered? But going to an actual store is frowned upon.

If you were to report every business open now that technically shouldn't be there wouldn't be too many left open.

What magically changes on the 8th in terms of a homeware store being any safer then than it would be today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The law is increasingly proving to be an ass at this stage.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

But yet I can go online to Harvey norman and get something delivered? But going to an actual store is frowned upon.

If you were to report every business open now that technically shouldn't be there wouldn't be too many left open.

What magically changes on the 8th in terms of a homeware store being any safer then than it would be today

And you seriously cannot see how one of these would be far safer than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Idbatterim wrote: »
    How many suicide reiayed deaths due to the virus, is dr nick, sorry, tony and the rte comedy channel reporting on that?

How are they supposed to report on something without actual facts?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

It that is Homestore and More you are talking about they announced few days ago they would be opening but with all non essential items out of bounds basically, cleaning and pet stuff available so I imagine they are keeping within guidelines as you can't buy curtains!

Benimar wrote: »
    And you seriously cannot see how one of these would be far safer than the other?

Please tell me then how much more dangerous is it to go into the store with social distancing in place than it is to go into any other store at the moment ??

Am I in more danger than going into woodies ? What changes on the 8th of June that makes it then safe for a homeware store to open.

phormium wrote: »
    It that is Homestore and More you are talking about they announced few days ago they would be opening but with all non essential items out of bounds basically, cleaning and pet stuff available so I imagine they are keeping within guidelines as you can't buy curtains!

Nah not home store and more, just a local store, think they've maybe 2 branches and that would be about it. Would be a small enough business but well positioned in a decent retail park.

Do you think everyone should be allowed to interpret/ignore the law as they see fit or are some citizens more equal than others ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

If stores operate the safety standards then they should be allowed to open regardless of their sector. That should be the criteria not on whether Simon Harris who evidently must not use a mattress or have curtains thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Do you think everyone should be allowed to interpret/ignore the law as they see fit or are some citizens more equal than others ?

Depends very much on the law.

Apartheid which saw some citizens as being more equal than others is one I think most right thinking people would ignore.

These laws are, imo, ill conceived and will cause untold hardship for some that others will not have to endure. If opening my doors was the difference between keeping going and shutting down I think I'd be opening up.

the kelt wrote: »
    How do we know? We don’t get told about anything other than Covid related deaths.

Wherever your from, how many people died within the last 24 hours and what did they die from?

2 in the whole county.
    Both peaceful according to their obituaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dc5711-irish-epidemiology-modelling-advisory-group-to-nphet-technical-notes/

Finally some information.

Just a cursory glance so far, had a look at the Rt charts (bottom two documents), confirming low Rt consistently since very early April.

Warning: Possible rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Denmark is doing fantastic. No deaths reported today and yesterday!

New cases growth rate now very stable at around (+0.4% / +0.6%)

Time we ask the Danes what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

RobitTV wrote: »

So theyve lifted all of their restrictions, reduced social distancing to 1 metre and dare not to report mass graves or spikes in new cases?!?

Can they be trusted? Yes.

Can Tony cervical check be trusted or 33 year old journalism dropout Simon Harris? Not really.

So theyve lifted all of their restrictions, reduced social distancing to 1 metre and dare not to report mass graves or spikes in new cases?!?

Can they be trusted? Yes.

Can Tony cervical check be trusted or 33 year old journalism dropout Simon Harris? Not really.

It's frightening how Ireland's future is now down to these two people. They will have much to answer for in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Personal reasons meant that I had to be in a town west of the shannon today. How refreshing. I bought a few books in a busy bookshop, my wife and I had coffee and scones on benches IN a cafe. Now my wife has disappeared into other small shops. I won't name the town in case the curtain twitchers go online, especially in the Dublin area, where some people appear particularly hysterical and force closures. A town trying to remain in business. Very impressive...

Glenomra wrote: »
    Personal reasons meant that I had to be in a town west of the shannon today. How refreshing. I bought a few books in a busy bookshop, my wife and I had coffee and scones on benches IN a cafe. I now my wife has disappeared into other small shops. I won't name the town in case the curtain twitchers go online, especially in the Dublin area, where some people appear particularly hysterical and force closures. A town trying to remain in business. Very impressive...

I'm so glad to hear this man. It's so fantastic to hear people are going outdoors and not listening to the hysterical nonsense that is being shoved down people's throats :)

We need more positive stories like this and we need healthy people to get outdoors and get back to living without being afraid of a few hysterical individuals.

So theyve lifted all of their restrictions, reduced social distancing to 1 metre

Social distancing of 1m is a restriction.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Social distancing of 1m is a restriction.

I dont know what I'd do without you :)

You are like grammar police following me around fact checking my every post. ;)

• Advertisement

I dont know what I'd do without you :)

You are like grammar police following me around fact checking my every post. ;)

Someone needs to unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,220 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Glenomra wrote: »
    Personal reasons meant that I had to be in a town west of the shannon today. How refreshing. I bought a few books in a busy bookshop, my wife and I had coffee and scones on benches IN a cafe. Now my wife has disappeared into other small shops. I won't name the town in case the curtain twitchers go online, especially in the Dublin area, where some people appear particularly hysterical and force closures. A town trying to remain in business. Very impressive...

People doing the right thing, for themselves, family, friends and, community ... more impressed with people remaining healthy, alive and well... to be fair

"His organisation is campaigning for social distancing to be reduced for restaurants, in line with what has been implemented in other European countries, including Austria and Norway where it is one metre, and Germany and Hungary where it is 1.5m. “Many members are saying if it is two metres, we are not opening; if it is 1.5m, maybe, and at one metre there is a glimmer of hope we can make it work.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/will-restaurants-reopen-or-stay-shut-after-lockdown-1.4258470

Leo and NPHET are adamant it has to be 2 metres. Even though they are following "WHO delay tactic" to deal with covid and WHO advises 1 metre.....

Interestingly enough 1 Michelin star chef says in the article his restaurant wont re open on 29th of June and they ll "wait and see". If he isnt re opening do 350 euro a week payments still go to his staff or does it become 203 euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the kelt wrote: »
    How do we know? We don’t get told about anything other than Covid related deaths.

Wherever your from, how many people died within the last 24 hours and what did they die from?

I didnt bother responding to this troll, dont waste your breath... monthe more of this **** minimum and then to make things better, fasten your seatbelt for the next recession! Largely brought to you by fg " the economies " safe pair of hands "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭C__MC

Cases again under 100
    If we are at similar number next weekend its time to reopen the country up

Become farcical now since mid March the whole thing
    I think leo knows this deep down but hoolahan is the main stumbling block

It’s a joke that we are still in lockdown for another 2 weeks at least. A few garden centres opening hasn’t changed much.

Deaths are going to remain as there are plenty of nursing home clusters

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Haven't been on Boards much this week since I got home on Monday after 8 weeks with family. Been pretty busy doing things like sorting out the jungle that was the grass, sorting and throwing stuff out and shopping to refill supplies.

But all week, the town has been busy with people doing what they need to do. Everyone is taking precautions - 2m markings everywhere that people are observing, some are wearing masks, everyone is using the provided sanitiser, and people queue patiently for others.
    Despite this, and the hysteria from some quarters, the numbers in the county are low and they are continuing to fall nationally as more people try to move on with their lives again.

Which is exactly as it should and needs to be if we are to have an economy and society after it. I'm actually not being funny here now either but there are a vocal minority who seem to be genuinely terrified or solely relying on Leo and Tony for the last word. These people really need to stop consuming the constant media coverage for a while and decide for themselves what's best in this changing reality. It's happening whether they like it/are ready for it or not.

Personally speaking, I'm far more relaxed and productive (while still being sensible) since I stopped watching the aforementioned "prophets of doom"

C__MC wrote: »
    Cases again under 100

People need to be allowed to move around beyond 5k/20k in rural areas. They're already doing it for their food shop in many places anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭snowcat

RobitTV wrote: »

Oh we could not do that. That makes sense. We are last in the class in Europe at the moment. I dont think any country will come to us for suggestions either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

C__MC wrote: »
    Cases again under 100

He knows he fücked up but he can’t back down now. This is an utter joke at this stage and what’s worse is most people in the country fell for it. Idiots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement