Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

the Leaving Cert could have gone ahead with much less hassle than students are going go face now - it was a very panicked decision with no real thought of the consequences.

I can't belive most people think the goverment is doing a good job handling this crisis, the handling of the leaving cert was panicked and showed a lack of leadership and confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Are you more bothered by the fact that he was topless with Matt or topless with Matt and two other friends or just topless? And what has this got to do with the restrictions? He is entitled to enjoy the sun as much as anyone else. Also what difference does it make that he was watched by a guard wearing a full uniform AND a hat. ??
    Maybe they should have all gotten together and performed the YMCA now that would have really set you over the edge

What about skin cancer?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm not sure if you're related to Tony Holohan? I'm not sure if you're retired, on the Covid payment, are a civil servant.............but if you're none of the above I'd be very surprised that you would be supporting this continued lockdown of our economy.

Yesterday we had 4 deaths, today we had none, but you state its "not a time to be over confident" . Why is that?

In Ireland we didn't even have a FIRST wave. Why? Because we flattened the curve, stayed at home, held firm, didn't see our family and still havent. We are now going into our 11th week since the schools closed, ditto since many workplaces closed. Community transmission has been almost erradicated. We ARE watching other countries, they ARE back open, they are NOT experience a 2nd wave.

Just off the phone to my daughter in Vancouver. Bars, restaurants, coffee shops have all reopened, people sitting outside and inside all of these. Campsites reopen in 3 weeks, the booking website for these crashed today! The place is buzzing.
    My other daughter lives in London, today was a bank holiday, she went hiking..........no restrictions on where you go in England........no 5km restrictions there! People being treated like adults.

Tony Holohan can't even crack a smile, can't even admit we've done really well, can't resist saying it could be a false result as weekend reporting is usually low...FFS! Its as though he wants deaths to be reported every day, the more the better. Sorry but that's what its beginning to look like.

We are the biggest laggards in Europe at this stage.

We disagree on many things on the thread, but, genuinely, I don't want to fight with you.

I come in peace. I may engage in tit-for-tat on the thread, but, as far as I'm concerned 99% that's just me defending my arguments. I'm not out to make enemies on boards. And I can say, hand on my heart, that I write things in good faith and I am always open to correction.

Anyways - you asked did I work for Tony Holohan, am I am civil servant etc, etc.

The answer is no, far from it. I actually work in a retail store, that's still open. Most weeks my take home pay is actually lower than the 350. And I wouldn't be entitled to it now even if I quit, because the business itself wouldn't be shutting on account of Covid. That's what I do for a living.

You asked why I insist we shouldn't be overconfident?

Well, obviously we should feel some confidence. The outbreak appears to be contained: there's less cases, less deaths, less hospital admissions - all of the metrics we would look at are all pointing in the right direction. And that is fantastic. That makes me feel so happy. It's bloody great news. And it gives me hope, lots of hope.

But there is an important distinction to be made between confidence and over confidence.

We've done amazingly well, but we have to bear in mind that the outbreak initally started from just a tiny amount of infected people in the country back in February - a tiny amount. And right now there are still undiagnosed and asymptomatic cases out there, surely in equal or greater numbers than there would have been right at the beginning of the introduction of the virus into the country.

There is still community transmission taking place. It isn't widespread, but it's out there. And there isn't one single reliable piece of literature out there that suggests this virus isn't highly highly contagious: there really isn't. In actual fact its ability to spread is remarked upon heavily by many experts. Look how quickly it spread across the globe, look at how many cases we had after two months of everyone staying in and not mixing for 95% of the time. This thing spreads like nobody's business.

Do I think a second wave is inevitable? No, hopefully it won't happen. We managed to avoid the worst outcomes up to this point, but only through huge and sustained collective efforts. But it was still pretty bad. Deaths peaked on April 20th, not that long ago, at 77 reported deaths. That is a scary figure.

Is it probable that we could return to that? Perhaps not, but it's not impossible and we have to be aware of that. It would be deeply, deeply, irresponsible not to be.

Just because we don't want or believe that the virus can return doesn't mean that it won't and that we shouldn't be responsible.

Hopefully we have done enough to suppress community transmission enough that it can't sustain itself - and we can reasonably hope that is the case - but equally we CAN NOT take that for granted.

It's been hard earned and it can be easily squandered. People have an understandable pent up desire to be socialable and to get back to living with gusto, the virus thrives on the normal social interactions and while it is still out there, even in tiny numbers, we have to be cognisant of the risks. How we behave in the early days of restrictions will determine a lot about the future.

We are behind most European countries in terms of opening up, but we were equally behind them when they were going through their particular peaks. Where we are today is where many of them were three/four weeks ago. People have to remember this.

And it is far, far too early to be saying conclusively what the future holds for any of these countries - they are really not that long into the opening up process and everyone still has a degree of restrictions in place in one form or another.

Back in February our own government underestimated the danger and was slow to act. They looked at what other neighbouring countries were doing and largely took their lead from them. So following the lead of others is not always the best and most sensible approach.

That is not to say we can't be hopeful: I actually do feel confident that we can beat it and that restrictions will be lifted quicker than people expect. But being able to look to others, look to their outcomes and and to assess our position with cool heads is an enviable position to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

road_high wrote: »
    I don’t mean it should be got rid of completely of course people need support. I was initially in favour of the allowance and it was very necessary. What I would like is the phases to be quickened drastically and people on it back to work and thus off it and not needing it. Also it must be reduced pro rata for people that didn’t earn €350 per week before this.
    That’s all I meant but I was perhaps too glib in original post.

Ah yeah that's why i said at the end of my post that perhaps i mis read your intention within the post.

I agree that the best thing to do is push on the restrictions and get people back to work. I have been out since March 27th and id like to go back albeit not all the time given how good the weather has been :D

I think the dole and not just the Covid19 payment should be reduced for those who are of sound body and mind. If they can work let them work let them earn their money like the rest of us. It would save the state millions if they started cutting the dole lifers money.

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I can't belive most people think the goverment is doing a good job handling this crisis, the handling of the leaving cert was panicked and showed a lack of leadership and confidence

Nothing they’ve really done is stand out and the stats bare that out. The ending of lockdown is farcical, headless chickens would do better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think it will all unravel in phase 3. Any pub that serves food will be open in June 29th under the guise of a restaurant. That’s going to open the floodgates

alta stare wrote: »
    Ah yeah that's why i said at the end of my post that perhaps i mis read your intention within the post.

I agree that the best thing to do is push on the restrictions and get people back to work. I have been out since March 27th and id like to go back albeit not all the time given how good the weather has been :D

I think the dole and not just the Covid19 payment should be reduced for those who are of sound body and mind. If they can work let them work let them earn their money like the rest of us. It would save the state millions if they started cutting the dole lifers money.

Do you find it difficult to live on? I assume it’s a large reduction in pay for you?
    I’d probably just about survive but only because everything is closed would make it easier to cut back.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think it will all unravel in phase 3. Any pub that serves food will be open in June 29th under the guise of a restaurant. That’s going to open the floodgates

I hope that is what happens, if not sooner. People are completely fed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

I hope that is what happens, if not sooner. People are completely fed up

As evidenced by the low uptake in mask wearing

People just don't want to wear them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

I was fully onboard with the restrictions at the start and I am lucky enough to be considered an essential worker so have been able to get out of the house every day but enough is enough. My little daughter just turned seven in April and was in first class. She was always a little worrier but in the last few weeks this has gone off the scale. She gets extremely anxious over the slightest thing now. She has only seen or heard from 2 of her classmates since this began. The schools being off for so long is doing untold damage to these young kids but guess what? The teachers have absolutely no ****ing intention of going back. If the government announced the schools were reopening there would be ****ing uproar. They are on holidays now and that’s that, screw the kids.

I don’t care about myself in this thing, I can handle it but I’m getting very worried about her now.

Exactly same story with my son, also in the 1st class, schools should re-open after June Bank holiday or else start early in August, it’s a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Retro. wrote: »

Where do I get masks. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Im far from a Leo's biggest admirer and he has shown himself to be a poor leader this far, but what he did yesterday was beneficial I think in a roundabout way. He's shown us life needs to go on, beers and a picnic with friends is important, we can't stay living in fear. Let normality resume.
    He is human at least.
    Tony H on the other hand has a callousness and roboticness to his delivery on each press conference, and appears devoid of any sign of emotion, or ability to empart a qlimmer of hope to those living in fear of this thing.

Holohan only shows emotion when he's trying to bully members of the public into submission to save his own arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I was fully onboard with the restrictions at the start and I am lucky enough to be considered an essential worker so have been able to get out of the house every day but enough is enough. My little daughter just turned seven in April and was in first class. She was always a little worrier but in the last few weeks this has gone off the scale. She gets extremely anxious over the slightest thing now. She has only seen or heard from 2 of her classmates since this began. The schools being off for so long is doing untold damage to these young kids but guess what? The teachers have absolutely no ****ing intention of going back. If the government announced the schools were reopening there would be ****ing uproar. They are on holidays now and that’s that, screw the kids.

I don’t care about myself in this thing, I can handle it but I’m getting very worried about her now.

That’s a bit unfair, my wife is a teacher and would tell ye she would go back in the morning if she could, I’m working and gone from the house so she’s at home teaching our two kids whilst also being a teacher for the school, it’s doing her head in.

But at the same time it’s a fact that the powers that be have absolutely scared the sh1te out of half the population to the stage they dont want to go back to schools, offices etc. and what’s worse they continue to do so. I mean dr Tony was only a few days ago literally saying positivity is not a good thing, Harris continues to warn all and sundry every chance he gets.

Any hint of positivity is shot down by Dr Cervical check and Harris in particular, to be fair to Leo I think he’s a little bit more aware of the need to wind back the fear. The fact is that is not going to be easy in a lot of cases, winding that back in is not going to be easy. My wife was saying it’s actually scary how many parents have said they’re not sure about sending kids back in September never mind next week or early June.

But I agree in regards to the kids, my own daughter is turning 8 this weekend and was in floods of tears Saturday just gone for the want of seeing her friends and a bit of social contact etc.

I used to wear ones in a previous job. They get very uncomfortable and sweaty with condensation especially this time of year. Awful things and I’ll only wear one if I have to access shops or transport.
    Very unhygienic unless changed regularly

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Holohan only shows emotion when he's trying to bully members of the public into submission to save his own arse.

He had a good laugh today at his own expense in the press conference when he momentarily slipped up on some maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have no time whatsoever for Tony Holohan. He offers nothing only doom any this plan has zero risk attached. No optimism whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Oh god, that looney professor from UCC is on with Matt Cooper on Virgin again. Masked up. And there he is fiddling away with the mask with his hands. Loon.

Arghus wrote: »
    He had a good laugh today at his own expense in the press conference when he momentarily slipped up on some maths.

Are they still doing those daily press conferences? I guess they serve their purpose as a veneer of transparency

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Oh god, that looney professor from UCC is on with Matt Cooper on Virgin again. Masked up. And there he is fiddling away with the mask with his hands. Loon.

The constant touching of the mask is just making him look ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Bit annoyed to be honest cause it feels like I’m the only one following these restrictions, I love all the charity’s that people are raising money for it’s great but I see people posting 100 k cycles and marathons done and walking challenges done and then pics of arms around each other and pics with other families am I missing something are we allowed do what we want now also I’m a regular on instagram and people posting current pics in cars with friends and bbqs with other families does anyone give a f**k anymore or what

• Advertisement

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Where do I get masks. ?

Chemists and euro shops have them

JoeA3 wrote: »

Even I'll admit that he seems a bit OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Where do I get masks. ?

Lidl Belgard road were selling boxes of them at the tills, 50 masks for around €43 maybe other Lidls have them too, loads of them there on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Even I'll admit that he seems a bit OTT

He's completely daft. He's full of it. The mask is preventing him from sniffing his own farts, which he no doubt loves the whiff of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

catrat12 wrote: »
    Bit annoyed to be honest cause it feels like I’m the only one following these restrictions, I love all the charity’s that people are raising money for it’s great but I see people posting 100 k cycles and marathons done and walking challenges done and then pics of arms around each other and pics with other families am I missing something are we allowed do what we want now also I’m a regular on instagram and people posting current pics in cars with friends and bbqs with other families does anyone give a f**k anymore or what

Very few people are taking much regard for social distancing anymore I would say. My family completely isolated from Paddys day until last week and are all now attending people's houses and meeting lots of people, I was surprised when I met some friends recently (who were very anxious about the virus a few weeks ago) were going in for hugs when we met. Definitely very little social distancing going on now apart from queueing in shops

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

He's a very sexy guy

I'd like to play hide the sausage

Post reported

catrat12 wrote: »

But do you think the restrictions make sense? None of us are deliberately “breaking” them but after over two months there’s only so much More nonsense anyone can take. I’m done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

He was very fast to correct himself in fairness.

Something about numbers "if you are fast at maths that's 70%....I mean 80 %".

Are they still doing those daily press conferences? I guess they serve their purpose as a veneer of transparency

They're actually very informative. And there's a lot of questions every day: it's not all one way cheerleading for the DOH and the HSE. Plenty of questions today regarding the social distancing guidelines and the further easing of restrictions.

I think if more regular posters in the thread watched them they might be a bit more informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

But do you think the restrictions make sense? None of us are deliberately “breaking” them but after over two months there’s only so much More nonsense anyone can take. I’m done

I don’t see how why we still need the 5k one to be honest
    But I don’t think people should be meeting up with other friends and families and not social distancing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement