Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Thats how it starts.;):D

Hope you did not have drinks and a picnic?

Some bold boys in the park did.
    EY3UXFRXgAI3uDE?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Leo's boyf is ripped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

1144926.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Topless Taoiseach reads a good red top headline.

To thine own self be true

Topless Taoiseach reads a good red top headline.

That reads like a cryptic crossword clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So it appears all developmental checks are now cancelled for babies and will be for the foreseeable future. So they are not even bothering to reschedule any planned visits. Yet another example of how children are being completely overlooked during this nonsense. Doesn't surprise me when we have a Minister for children who thinks pods are a workable solution in creches and hasn't uttered a single word about getting children back to school.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Could understand boys doing it, but middle aged men !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

https://twitter.com/TonightVMTV/status/1265031670970941440
    It could already be underway' @gerry_killeen
    on the chances of a second wave in Ireland.
    Worst case is, if by June 8th it hasn't happened, then he can safely be put back in his box. I must say after watching and listening to this guy multiple times yesterday, I was a bit wary of Luke O'Nelll before, but he is growing on me now. It was notable also how Kingston Mills was just sitting there looking straight ahead as your man was flapping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

YFlyer wrote: »
    They tend to get a larger load of the virus and the body can't cope with the inevitable cytokine storm.

That's utter crap, can you provide the stats that show this please ?

Breakdown by age group is available online and you'll find deaths under the age of 44 are a small percentage of the total.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

YFlyer wrote: »
    They tend to get a larger load of the virus and the body can't cope with the inevitable cytokine storm.
    It's not really known why some get a worse infection any more than they can determine some groups as being more at risk of that phenomenon. Think a link to some proper evidence is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

Arghus wrote: »
    Detailed breakdown of the public opinion survey from today and the ones from before that too:

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/6b4401-view-the-amarach-public-opinion-survey/

No mention of Board.ie under ‘trusted information Sources’. I can see a few lads on here being devastated:cool:

Benimar wrote: »
    No mention of Board.ie under ‘trusted information Sources’. I can see a few lads on here being devastated:cool:
    Understandable as it's really an addiction service!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Detailed breakdown of the public opinion survey from today and the ones from before that too:

Interesting the way the amount of people that want to stay at home after this virus is increasing!!

Wow, their plan is working - whatever it is ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

I wonder how much is being spent on project fear including the ads and all this “market” research. It will interesting how the goalposts will change when people start realising that public opinion is moving and no doubt the knives will be out when people realise how much this will cost, and the economic damage it has and will do. The tipping point I expect will be the glad to that Ireland is “closed” while other countries are “open” including for that holiday abroad.

Interesting the way the amount of people that want to stay at home after this virus is increasing!!

Wow, their plan is working - whatever it is ...

I would guess that very little of this is based on fear of the virus. I'm sure it's based on people's comfort right now, and not wanting this nice little cosy life to get shaken up. Whether its the €350 payment or the ability to WFH as the workplace remains closed. Judging by the amount of people out in the parks through the weekdays, there are a lot of people happy with their COVID payment, or else taking the p*ss out of their employer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Who would have thought that a combination of pumping out fear 24/7 while simultaneously bribing hundreds of thousands of people with borrowed money would lead to so many looking to prolong the lockdown.

People are living in a false world right now. The penny will soon drop that the 'models' for this virus were based on ridiculously pessimistic assumptions and there's a hell of a bill coming in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

road_high wrote: »
    Do you find it difficult to live on? I assume it’s a large reduction in pay for you?
    I’d probably just about survive but only because everything is closed would make it easier to cut back.

Honestly no i don't. I find it ok. I have adjusted myself in order to see it out. I am down a good bit of money but i will be ok I can still pay what i need to. If the amount was the same as the dole id still survive but it would be a struggle. I still have kids and bills to pay for which at these times with my full wage gone iv realised they took a sizable portion of my wage. Paying maintenance is an expensive hobby which i havent stopped doing during this so thankfully the covid payment is 350 and not the dole. My car insurance was also due but again i was more organised because of whats going on so i paid that without much hassle. Personally this crisis has made me realise even more than ever that not saving money when i was younger was a big mistake as if something untoward or unexpected happens it can put you on the back foot. Thankfully though the 350 is enough for me to not get pushed too far back. I will be very glad to get back to work and get a full wage. I wont be going on a splurge but it will be nice to know i can start building up some sort of money again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I wonder .... it's getting pretty toasty over here now, I wonder if this heat is a huge factor in this drop of cases, could we get too relaxed and a second wave slams us in November ?

This is my main worry now, second wave

Who would have thought that a combination of pumping out fear 24/7 while simultaneously bribing hundreds of thousands of people with borrowed money would lead to so many looking to prolong the lockdown.

People are living in a false world right now. The penny will soon drop that the 'models' for this virus were based on ridiculously pessimistic assumptions and there's a hell of a bill coming in the post.
    I doubt there is one single scenario where you would ever have been happy with how this was dealt with and this sounds like the kind of bravado Boris had .... until he got sick, really sick. The bill is known and we'll be mostly OK with it because of said "bribery" and the genuine efforts to keep us all safe.

• Advertisement

I would guess that very little of this is based on fear of the virus. I'm sure it's based on people's comfort right now, and not wanting this nice little cosy life to get shaken up. Whether its the €350 payment or the ability to WFH as the workplace remains closed. Judging by the amount of people out in the parks through the weekdays, there are a lot of people happy with their COVID payment, or else taking the p*ss out of their employer

after 10 weeks of Covid and restrictions its inevitable that people have gone into a kind of inertia, a Covid Coma, and the media and Government have had a big part to play in this. The fear mongering has been non stop.There is almost NO positivity from media or Government, already talks of a 2nd wave FFS!

There will be plenty of people who have become accustomed to this lifestyle especially as it is still very early in Summer and the weather is good. "Sure why bother getting the teachers and kids back to school, sure its nearly the Summer holidays anyway?"

The Covid payment has been a double edged sword and I imagine there are plenty of people on it who are in no rush for things to move forward.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think a lot of people in these surveys who think the country is opening up too soon are those on the €350 Covid payment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Very surprising to see that only 21% of people think that the return to normality in Ireland is either a bit too slow or much too slow. You'd think from reading this thread that it's 79%!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wonder .... it's getting pretty toasty over here now, I wonder if this heat is a huge factor in this drop of cases, could we get too relaxed and a second wave slams us in November ?

it wont happen here first if it does happen at all, people know the routine and the gov know not to let it get into nursing homes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

With the current infections as low as they are now, I doubt we will see a huge second wave if we are careful. If we manage to get into the lower double digits by phase 2, we will just need very strict quarantine rules for travellers. The risk of importing it again will be a lot higher, I don't know if it's possible but returning travellers will need to be strictly locked down for 2 weeks. I imagine we will live in a tourist world where there are green, orange and red zones for the foreseeable future. So for example a country like Sweden might be denied entry, Germany might need to quarantine for 2 weeks when entering and New Zealand will be able to enter and move freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Very surprising to see that only 21% of people think that the return to normality in Ireland is either a bit too slow or much too slow. You'd think from reading this thread that it's 79%!

We only started bringing it under control, I imagine if we can sustain the current numbers for the next 2 or 3 weeks and bring them lower people will starts asking for accelerated phases (rightly so).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I think it has been pretty obvious from the start that the representation of opinion on this thread is nowhere within a donkey's roar of a random sample from the Irish population. You don't go to a rodeo and expect to see a dogfight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,408 ✭✭✭✭road_high

boggerman1 wrote: »
    In Dunnes in thurles today.woman wearing mask around her neck.project fear running amoak.

I see several of these daily driving cars. Very common

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    Travelled 7km yesterday in the car to walk 15 mins up a hill in the countryside. I watched an amazing sunset and it felt good.... Really good.
    First time I have broken the perimeter apart from to go shopping.
    I'll be doing more of that.

Well done. It shows how important it is to get out. Our body and mind craves freedom and activity which we sometimes take for granted. This restrictions are suppressing us so anytime you can get out then most definitely do. Find a nice beach or forest and go for a walk. Listen to the birds chirp... It will lift your spirits no end.

• Advertisement

......and I'd say those 21% are mostly self employed or small business owners! People who have a lot to lose but this continuing lockdown, hairdressers, coffee shop owners, physiotherapists, yoga teachers, wedding planners, interior designers, painters ...etc.

An awful lot of people on the Covid payment would like things to continue (ever read the comments on The Journal??).

€350 a week to sit at home gardening, €700 per couple, no childcare, no commuting, no shops open, easy times............nice but not sustainable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement