Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

road_high wrote: »
    Yep it’s a fact. These people’s main experience of the “economy “ is the trip to the post office to hand in a social welfare card and go to Tesco to spend it.
    It’s irrelevant to them how or why that money appears as successive governments never questioned this carry on or dared threaten it

Waterford in your pocket facebook page started a poll yesterday asking if it should be reduced to 1m ,so far out of 892 votes 63% say 1m is too close just look at some of the comments on that people are actually brainwashed by the media its crazy!

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordIYP/posts/3243253332421912

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I know a lot of ye haven't watched this before, but it's never too late to start.

Today's DoH briefing -

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OyKAYZoDDrKb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Arghus wrote: »
    I know a lot of ye haven't watched this before, but it's never too late to start.

Today's DoH briefing -

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OyKAYZoDDrKb

No thanks. We have enough misery from users on here without having to endure Holohan and his nonsense :pac:

Although it's good to see he isn't speaking right now. Where is he gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

I was dead certain in early April that the Primary Schools will open after June bank holiday LATEST, I actually put a bet with my friend as she thought it wasn’t meant to happen as there would still be 100s of cases and deaths. Here I am 50€ lighter but not because of high mortality rates...

In my defence - little did I know about Tony &co at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

RobitTV wrote: »
    No thanks. We have enough misery from users on here without having to endure Holohan and his nonsense :pac:

Although it's good to see he isn't speaking right now. Where is he gone?

If it's the man with the glasses that's Colm Henry, chief clinical officer with the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

I have no idea why the bars and restaurants decided to draw the line at 1m.1.5m is a far easier sell politically.Following Merkel's standard is much more effective and reassuring than following the WHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Watching Dortmund Bayern here, they have added crowd sound effects!!!
    Makes a big difference .... I am feeling this is the turning of the tide .... at long last!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

The news is now getting so bad for Tony Holohan and the misery merchants they are calling for an emergency rosary bead service to be held at 8pm tonight to pray for rain.

They'll coordinate with native American tribes to have a raindance.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    Any breakdown of where those 37 cases were?

Top secret as yesterday I presume.

Can’t tell the public that the virus is not public spread anymore.

That won’t scare them. Better to be talking about the second wave for this fear purpose.
    Don’t u not know there’s a bank holiday coming up and if people aren’t fearful they might actually venture out at the weekend and Tony will be raging it’s not raining to keep them at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The news is now getting so bad for Tony Holohan and the misery merchants they are calling for an emergency rosary bead service to be held at 8pm tonight to pray for rain.

He's just said they may well go back to twice a week briefings from the end of this phase!

• Advertisement

Ive noticed this too across social media i always look at the comments when anything slightly positive is put up,yesterday it was the Irish hairdresser federation looking to open early and today its going from 2m to 1m ,majority of comments are from "stay at home mums" etc ,the number one thing is "people are dying dont do anything",i seen one comment were a woman said "the virus is just taking a nap we need to stick with the lockdown incase it wakes up again" :confused:

I think some people imagine the virus as a hound of the Baskervilles, roaming around the Moors waiting to strike.

Wow, some really brave people on here. Stuff it to them, man.

Like the brave lads that went to Cheltenham. Fair play to them.

Like everyone else I hope it's over, but I'm not convinced. Wait until all the brave lads get out and about there getting the country back to normal. That should be good. What are your plans for the second surge lads? I suppose once you've had your Summer barbeque and all that, sure who cares. Don't forget to do plenty of shouting while you're at it, they say that really helps. Especially Granny, as she's a bit hard of hearing.

Fair play to ye all the same, takes some guts to stand up to the nanny state, and the grannies. Ye're some men.

Alright daylor, enjoy spending the rest of your life in a Waco style compound or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭RoryMac

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I think some people imagine the virus as a hound of the Baskervilles, roaming around the Moors waiting to strike.

Or like those guys in white vans that are trying to snatch kids that they like to post stories about on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

37 new cases... and still 8 weeks until we can get a haircut :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    Any breakdown of where those 37 cases were?

An uneducated guess would be about 20 in Dublin in nursing homes and about 3 to 0 in every other county in Ireland.

Tony is searching under hedges and anyone that dies with a cough in Ireland gets put down to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

RoryMac wrote: »
    Or like those guys in white vans that are trying to snatch kids that they like to post stories about on Facebook

.... I can't take much more of these doom and gloom merchants .
    The joe duffys and George lees of the world .
    The coranavirus hasn't been as bad as they first predicted so the past few days ....ITS GOING TO BE THE SECOND WAVE THATS GOING TO GET US !!!
    Ireland needs to open up in full far sooner than August 10th .

mloc123 wrote: »

Well by then I'll be able to become a certified Charles Manson impersonator if anyone's got a birthday, wedding or bar mitzvah coming up.

mloc123 wrote: »

At this stage we can definitely say the 2km to 5km extension did not impact the infection rates. We can also conclude that the general increase in traffic and the relaxation in cocooning for the over 70's did not show a spike. Can we now conclude that we like the rest of Europe are not different and that if we implement the measures that Austria Denmark Switz Germany etc have done several weeks ago we will not show a spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Reading the comments it's no wonder the surveys they keep pulling out each week are backing them, the fear being pumped out daily across the likes of RTE is essentially giving people the opinion that we lock up the country and quarantine everyone despite the rest of europe opening up.

If it wasn't such a serious situation you'd laugh at some of the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/257558294273180/posts/3523435037685473/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

snowcat wrote: »

An uneducated guess would be about 20 in Dublin in nursing homes and about 3 to 0 in every other county in Ireland.

Tony is searching under hedges and anyone that dies with a cough in Ireland gets put down to Covid.

OMG :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Air travel is the highest risk category for spreading covid 19. .

I have to wonder about that unless i see evidence to back it up. I have been flying to the USA up to 3 times a year the last 15 years and never even caught a cold on a plane.

Watching Dortmund Bayern here, they have added crowd sound effects!!!
    Makes a big difference .... I am feeling this is the turning of the tide .... at long last!!!!

Fully agree those sound effects made a lot of difference.

Anyways some German states want to lift ALL of restrictions incl social distancing awkwardness, you watch now September onwards German football stadiums will start to fill up. A good thing all of this is outdoors where catching covid is same odds as getting attacked by a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Fully agree those sound effects made a lot of difference.

Anyways some German states want to lift ALL of restrictions incl social distancing awkwardness, you watch now September onwards German football stadiums will start to fill up. A good thing all of this is outdoors where catching covid is same odds as getting attacked by a dog.

It'll be interesting to see if and when fans return to German stadiums.

If it goes well and theres no clear impact there'll be a hell of alot of pressure in countries with a similar case level to return to events and gatherings in general.

We'll be last of course

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder could some businesses be under pressure if we forward phases ??

Many presuming the current phase 3/4/5 dates

Stock, staffing levels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

why not move forward phase now since the dates were supposed to be flexible? will they do this?

International air travel is definitely on the cards 15 June

"Travel stocks – including Ryanair and Aer Lingus-owner IAG – surged as summer getaway hopes resurfaced on the back of a number of European countries relaxing their travel restrictions and destinations saying they’re open for holidays.

Spain has joined the likes of Italy, Portugal, Greece and Cyprus in removing visitor restrictions and planning to reopen hotels and beaches for the July-August peak family holiday season.

Ryanair trumpeted the news by effectively lighting the blue touch paper on a new fare war and saw its share price jump by nearly 12%. Rival EasyJet was up 19%, Aer Lingus owner IAG jumped 22%, tour operator TUI surged more than 30% and shares in German airline Lufthansa rose nearly 7%.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/ryanair-leads-travel-stock-surge-as-holiday-hotspots-prepare-to-reopen-1001843.html

Whether you like lockdowns or not, you are risk averse or not, world is opening up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

SusieBlue wrote: »
    This whole accusing everyone of being a granny killer thing is getting really predictable and really old.

As is the constant "THE ECONOMY IS DOOMED! DOOOOMMMEEEEED!" ****e being peddled by some people here as well.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I have to wonder about that unless i see evidence to back it up. I have been flying to the USA up to 3 times a year the last 15 years and never even caught a cold on a plane.

I caught a dodgy one about a mile up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder could some businesses be under pressure if we forward phases ??

Many presuming the current phase 3/4/5 dates

Stock, staffing levels etc

I'd imagine a lot of them are already well prepared to open if they got the go ahead from the man on the iron throne.

• Advertisement

As is the constant "THE ECONOMY IS DOOMED! DOOOOMMMEEEEED!" ****e being peddled by people here as well.

A bit harsh. What do you call below? Economy is prospering??

"Eason to lay off 150 staff as it prepares for June reopening
    Irish-owned bookseller seeks ‘substantial’ rent cuts from landlords over Covid-19"

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/eason-to-lay-off-150-staff-as-it-prepares-for-june-reopening-1.4262251

Those 150 wont be on 350 eur forever you know, more like to the tune of 203. This is needless. Having this lockdown for 1 more week risks more jobs like these being lost.... SO yeah. Economy is not prospering if thats what you want to imply

Lift all the bloody restrictions faster and get on with it and save jobs... this isnt rocket science.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement