Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Did I say it was prospering?

The way you economic prophets of doom were talking, you'd think 50%-60% of the population were unemployed.

According to the ESRI who are just one of many they are predicting minimum 20oloyment going in to next year.If you think that is a rosy picture i presume economics was not your strong school subject.

I’m interested were there any Gardai on the border or along the M50 anywhere? And just that you didn’t get stopped? Or was there no sign? I guess now that there are legally enforceable restrictions on entry, there might be checks that people travelling are resident on the island of Ireland, and have not just flown into BHD to bypass quarantine

no Gardai anywhere at all,no checkpoints.
    I came down off the mountains onto a very small lane and hopped over a gate today. There was a Garda car parked just down from the gate I hadn't spotted. Both gardai were eating ice cream and chatting to a local farmer out with his dog. They all said hello , that was it.

I live in Louth so was only using the M1 motorway. No checkpoints.

No checkpoints going North last week either. There are no restrictions on KM/miles in the North, you can go wherever you want.

It’s because the restrictions are being flouted that the government don’t have to hurry anything up. It’s a natural reopening, led largely by the people and only partially controlled by the restrictions in each phase, but happening at a pace with which the government are probably happy.

If we all obeyed 100% and there was not a single instance of rule breaking, I would think that the reopening phases would be accelerated. But given our collective behaviour, they don’t have to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Did I see on RTÉ last night someone say that Holohan said “it’s a day of hope” regarding the zero deaths? Let’s be clear then, in Ireland we have no haircuts but a day of hope, meanwhile in Spain and Italy which lest we forget we were told were going to be wiped off the face of the Earth a few weeks ago you can go to a bar and have a drink!! This is ludicrous.

no Gardai anywhere at all,no checkpoints.
    I came down off the mountains onto a very small lane and hopped over a gate today. There was a Garda car parked just down from the gate I hadn't spotted. Both gardai were eating ice cream and chatting to a local farmer out with his dog. They all said hello , that was it.

I live in Louth so was only using the M1 motorway. No checkpoints.

No checkpoints going North last week either. There are no restrictions on KM/miles in the North, you can go wherever you want.

Thanks, and sorry, I meant the M1. Might be a bit more Garda presence monitoring x-border traffic now. Especially northern plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

It’s because the restrictions are being flouted that the government don’t have to hurry anything up. It’s a natural reopening, led largely by the people and only partially controlled by the restrictions in each phase, but happening at a pace with which the government are probably happy.

If we all obeyed 100% and there was not a single instance of rule breaking, I would think that the reopening phases would be accelerated. But given our collective behaviour, they don’t have to be

Thats how its been all along. We never had a lockdown here. Some people adhered to the law but i would guess 80% did not. You just need to see the disregard for the walking signs on bridges. Lockdown was a collective joke. Guards admitted it was unenforceable and gave up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

But business needs to open. Public liability is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yeah on Claire Byrnes show last night they did a survey of 1000 people and surprise surprise everyone they called was happy with the pace of things and quite a few thought it was going too fast.

I'm calling BS on that.

It might not be bs that they said that to be honest.

But it’s fact that in a huge amount of cases people are afraid to say anything else for fear of being torn limb from limb.

My local td put up the usual speel on Facebook the other day, keep going etc etc and one woman very politely asked about the prospect of the stages progressing quicker as numbers were now low etc and she was in a social media sense literally rounded on and torn limb from limb for daring to ask the question, honestly it was savage, advocating killing the elderly, she should hang her head in shame, last in line for a vaccine of one comes about.

At one stage one of the chief Karen’s was responding to another lady who was querying about cancer screening I think with the quotes “cancer can wait, don’t be so selfish, Covid is killing people”

I’ve honestly never seen a mania quite like it, it’s actually scary how those people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

the kelt wrote: »

But it’s fact that in a huge amount of cases people are afraid to say anything else for fear of being torn limb from limb.

My local td put up the usual speel on Facebook the other day, keep going etc etc and one woman very politely asked about the prospect of the stages progressing quicker as numbers were now low etc and she was in a social media sense literally rounded on and torn limb from limb for daring to ask the question, honestly it was savage, advocating killing the elderly, she should hang her head in shame, last in line for a vaccine of one comes about.

At one stage one of the chief Karen’s was responding to another lady who was querying about cancer screening I think with the quotes “cancer can wait, don’t be so selfish, Covid is killing people”

I’ve honestly never seen a mania quite like it, it’s actually scary how those people think.

We had a project fear propaganda campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wow, I really can't believe anyone would say that. There is definitely a touch of mania about some of the posts I'm seeing though so it is possible in the current climate!. I feel like there will be studies about this period in the future and how so many people collectively lost their minds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

We had a project fear propaganda campaign.

Whichever media company was advising the government got it very wrong, from the Taoiseach's first 'Terminator' speech on. Instilling that much fear meant that they lost control and it spiralled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Wow, I really can't believe anyone would say that. There is definitely a touch of mania about some of the posts I'm seeing though so it is possible in the current climate!. I feel like there will be studies about this period in the future and how so many people collectively lost their minds

If you lie to the people by telling them that Covid-19 kills healthy people of all ages then you can control them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Officially the most embarrassing nation. and most embarrassing "scientists" with no Nobel prizes ofcourse, just random chaps from DCU and UCC

“We propose that the two governments on the island of Ireland immediately adopt a full-scale policy of suppression, and start working on a suitable strategy for both our countries."

Prof Staines said the goal is to get to zero cases of Covid-19 and that this could be achieved over the summer."

PS

We don’t have all the answers but we think it would be a mistake not to look at this, not to ask ourselves can we do something now that might make a big difference to our country,” he said.

Could say that again.....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/experts-call-to-crush-covid-19-with-all-island-restrictions-1001879.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah they are like a pack of wolves the way they round on someone on FB and Twitter for daring to have a different point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Lifting restrictions early

"Denmark says its economy will contract less than the European Union on average this year after it eased restrictions on movement earlier than other countries.

Gross domestic product will shrink 5.3% in 2020, the Finance Ministry in Copenhagen said today. By contrast, the European Union is set to contract 7.4%

“First and foremost, we’ve reopened [the economy], and we can see clear signs that consumers and businesses are actually reacting to that.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/denmark-suffers-less-economic-pain-from-covid-19-than-eu-1001833.html

There is a solid case made there for re opening the country quicker. 2% of GDP may not sound much but in reality it really is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

AdamD wrote: »
    Thing is, 20% unemployment is economic doom. Not 50%-60%.

Not if ninety seven percent of them are coming back as before.

Sometimes I like to call the service industry the "pretend economy". Who cares if people don't eat out and go on holidays, it isn't creating any real wealth. The only damage it causes is what you're already experiencing, that you can't do those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sometimes I like to call the service industry the "pretend economy". Who cares if people don't eat out and go on holidays, it isn't creating any real wealth. The only damage it causes is what you're already experiencing, that you can't do those things.

Are the people who work in the service industry pretend people?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Officially the most embarrassing nation. and most embarrassing "scientists" with no Nobel prizes ofcourse, just random chaps from DCU and UCC

“We propose that the two governments on the island of Ireland immediately adopt a full-scale policy of suppression, and start working on a suitable strategy for both our countries."

Prof Staines said the goal is to get to zero cases of Covid-19 and that this could be achieved over the summer."

PS

We don’t have all the answers but we think it would be a mistake not to look at this, not to ask ourselves can we do something now that might make a big difference to our country,” he said.

Could say that again.....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/experts-call-to-crush-covid-19-with-all-island-restrictions-1001879.html

Surprised Tomas Ryan is supporting them, he seemed more copped on in interviews previously

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Yes endless material for psychological and behavioral theses going forward.

Vast majority of the economy is service based now, pretend people with pretend livelihoods.
    Unless you’re shovelling coal all day it’s not a really job in some people’s eyes still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

If they set the goal at zero cases which isn't realistic, then this is the most nonsense i have ever witnessed.

Someone with money behind them should look at launching a major legal challenge. Not the like the dud challenge that came from Gemma and John Waters.

The government needs to be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I was actually surprised to be stopped at a garda checkpoint today on my way to Dunnes for the grocery shopping, as I hadn’t seen any before on this route. Thought they would be winding down their checkpoints now more than anything.

Jeez Simon Harris is on Prime Time tonight, he’s hyper , is he on something?
    He constantly interrupted Miriam, speaking a million miles a minute.

He’s not for turning on speeding up restrictions ! No way ! He said doesn’t want to take any risks .

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I was actually surprised to be stopped at a garda checkpoint today on my way to Dunnes for the grocery shopping, as I hadn’t seen any before on this route. Thought they would be winding down their checkpoints now more than anything.

I think it depends on what county you’re in, resources etc. it seems very random lately . Wonder what bank holiday weekend will be like ?

Simon Harris needs to be removed. He is fu***** useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Jeez Simon Harris is on Prime Time tonight, he’s hyper , is he on something?
    He constantly interrupted Miriam, speaking a million miles a minute.

He’s not for turning on speeding up restrictions ! No way ! He said doesn’t want to take any risks .

He keeps mentioning the 2nd wave...spike in cases, extremely pessimistic and stoking fear unnecessarily.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Simon Harris needs to be removed. He is fu***** useless.

Miriam looked like she wanted to slap him !

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Simon Harris is mad.
    We hope to be able to move to phase two on the 8th of June

We should be moving on with phase 4 and some of 5 for god sake.

37 cases today and now no one to test with our amazing 100k capacity what a mess the HSE made of the testing.

At least they got it right once the virus is on the wane and guarantee us they can do 100k tests a guarantee that will never actually have a requirement to be fulfilled

It’s a pity we couldn’t do 10k when the tests were actually needed and a prompt turnaround of results not 10+days when the virus was raging.

When you actually look back it was a shambles but we’re led to believe they done a great job.

He keeps mentioning the 2nd wave...spike in cases, extremely pessimistic and stoking fear unnecessarily.

That’s not the kind of language a Health Minister should be using, even at the beginning of a crisis. I don’t know how we ditch him, businesses are going to have start laying it on the line (not to Harris as he’s a brainwashed freak) so the likes of him are bypassed. It’s usually how heaves work

• Advertisement

"We hope to move to phase two in June" - Simon Harris

This is really getting too much now. I'm sick to death of hearing 'hope'

Why on earth are we only moving to phase two!? when the bloody cases are tumbling!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement