Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Apparently on the tonight show on virgin media we also had a doctor Thomas Ryan saying he hope's schools can go back in September but that hes unimpressed with our efforts and a 2nd wave is inevitable that will require 2 years of social distance.

Bloody hell... where do they find them all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Apparently on the tonight show on virgin media we also had a doctor Thomas Ryan saying he Hope's schools can go back in September but that hes unimpressed with our efforts and a 2nd wave is inevitable that will require 2 years of social distance.

I guess if there were experts that thought different they'd have them on.

Tricky legally to enforce quarantine when everywhere else will be opening up is one way to put it.

https://twitter.com/RTE_PrimeTime/status/1265402403735699460?s=19

Arghus wrote: »
    I guess if there were experts that thought different they'd have them on.

At this stage is getting boring, they give their opinion as fact when it isn't fact. No wonder most people in the country are scared beyond belief when they're listening to constant second wave talk with no proof of said second wave elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Will we end up having a protest if things dont open up soon? Interesting to see if things start heading that way. People are getting frustrated and angry now.

• Advertisement

Tricky legally to enforce quarantine when everywhere else will be opening up is one way to put it.

https://twitter.com/RTE_PrimeTime/status/1265402403735699460?s=19

So he’s not even going to make a decision on whether quarantine will be mandatory until some time in June. Other countries will be opening their borders and dropping their quarantine by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Things are going to boil over soon and i can't wait to see how Harris will respond then...

If they are keeping this phased plan running until August, then people need to make themselves heard. We can't keep on living like this.

So he’s not even going to make a decision on whether quarantine will be mandatory until some time in June. Other countries will be opening their borders and dropping their quarantine by then!

Which makes his decision a non decision really because there'll be a new government by then and will they want to make a move like that early days, will they fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

alta stare wrote: »
    Will we end up having a protest if things dont open up soon? Interesting to see if things start heading that way. People are getting frustrated and angry now.

Once someone names a date and time I’ll be there. I’ve had enough of this pseudoscience bunch of clowns with their mythical 2nd wave. Why not completely ignore all the countries that have been open for WEEKS now and just make up scary stories ! Pure begging the question fallacies all night , every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Community transmission effectively suppressed and only 37 new cases today. I'd be curious, like others, where these 37 cases occurred in terms of setting, occupation. Essentially, have we all but eradicated the virus from Ireland? It would seem very possible.

As such, it is hard to see what the end goal is here; keep measures in place like social distancing until a vaccine emerges or just wind down from this lockdown and get back to normal? If there is no one suffering with the virus, vaccines can't be tested so it doesn't seem like we will be waiting for a vaccine to get fully back to normal.

On the social distancing, I mentioned it yesterday but I still can't get my head around the implication for indefinitely implementing social distancing, using the example of sex; you are effectively telling people not to have sex outside their households. That is ludicrous and reason enough to consider social distancing utterly pointless beyond another few weeks maximum.

• Advertisement

I'm not even kidding here. But it would be brilliant if a prominent person maybe a businessperson or a political figure from past or present could organise a nationwide rally like they recently had in Spain.

The protest in Spain attracted a large gathering nationwide and it was safely done from their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

RobitTV wrote: »
    "We hope to move to phase two in June" - Simon Harris

This is really getting too much now. I'm sick to death of hearing 'hope'

Why on earth are we only moving to phase two!? when the bloody cases are tumbling!
    Money to be made for "mates" that we will all pay for, all the while they will pat there backs saying we were the best in world at defeating Covid-19.

Again, await our next budget and see what happens.
    Dob and the many will have their depts paid down with the banks.
    Envelopes will be exchanged.
    And everyone will be happy, maybe even a bbg in the Phoenix Park to celebrate.
    Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Apparently on the tonight show on virgin media we also had a doctor Thomas Ryan saying he hope's schools can go back in September but that hes unimpressed with our efforts and a 2nd wave is inevitable that will require 2 years of social distance.

There seems to be a massive divergence in opinion between experts on how the virus will behave from here on.

The mask fiddler on The Tonight show last night said there might be 8 or 9 waves of infection lasting years. WHO director now says even a 2nd wave is increasingly unlikely.

Would wreck your head listening to them.

Community transmission effectively suppressed and only 37 new cases today. I'd be curious, like others, where these 37 cases occurred in terms of setting, occupation. Essentially, have we all but eradicated the virus from Ireland? It would seem very possible.

As such, it is hard to see what the end goal is here; keep measures in place like social distancing until a vaccine emerges or just wind down from this lockdown and get back to normal? If there is no one suffering with the virus, vaccines can't be tested so it doesn't seem like we will be waiting for a vaccine to get fully back to normal.

On the social distancing, I mentioned it yesterday but I still can't get my head around the implication for indefinitely implementing social distancing, using the example of sex; you are effectively telling people not to have sex outside their households. That is ludicrous and reason enough to consider social distancing utterly pointless beyond another few weeks maximum.

I said it before as others too. It’s like old religious Ireland coming back to haunt us 40 years later. It’s like some kind of cult in a medical disguise . Masks , people scared to look at each other , touch each other, no sex , etc. A lot of mad yokes are loving this. It gives them something to believe in and the bonus is that now we all can live just as miserably as they have done all their lives.

There seems to be a massive divergence in opinion between experts on how the virus will behave from here on.

The mask fiddler on The Tonight show last night said there might be 8 or 9 waves of infection lasting years. WHO director now says even a 2nd wave is increasingly unlikely.

Would wreck your head listening to them.

Yup and maybe it's just an Irish thing I dont know but do any other country pick the worst case scenario and present it nearly as fact. Everywhere else there seems to be optimism. Here if you break the 5k rule your as good as told you've killed someone and that your responsible for a second wave.

Dare to have a thought of your own that doesn't match up with what was broadcast on rte or virgin media and your lynched on social media, rounded on for being an "awful person"

At this stage is getting boring, they give their opinion as fact when it isn't fact. No wonder most people in the country are scared beyond belief when they're listening to constant second wave talk with no proof of said second wave elsewhere.

Early days to be saying there's no proof of a second wave.

Most countries are only a handful of weeks at most into the process of easing lockdowns. This is still very much the still wait and see period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This thread is a disaster. Seems to have become some sort of anti government/ anti lockdown echo chamber.

It's the Fox News of boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

When is St Patricks day parade on?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Another reminder - this thread is about restrictions and their relaxation

General Covid discussion belongs in the current Covid thread (#XVII)

Political discussion belongs in Current Affairs or Politics

Most countries are only a handful of weeks at most into the process of easing lockdowns. This is still very much the still wait and see period.

There isn't proof of a second wave either for or against only theory and opinion. But opinion seems to be presented as fact at the moment regarding this.

Yes it's a wait and see period but regardless if it was going to explode again we would already be seeing extremely high case numbers in the likes of Austria, Denmark and Germany which we aren't. That's my opinion and the longer is stays that way the less likely I think and second wave is. Small case numbers as restrictions ease yes but manageable.

• Advertisement

Yup and maybe it's just an Irish thing I dont know but do any other country pick the worst case scenario and present it nearly as fact. Everywhere else there seems to be optimism. Here if you break the 5k rule your as good as told you've killed someone and that your responsible for a second wave.

Dare to have a thought of your own that doesn't match up with what was broadcast on rte or virgin media and your lynched on social media, rounded on for being an "awful person"

It’s seemingly just Ireland doing this dunce dance. If we look at Spain who were hit with 27,000 deaths (with people who had the virus) , they have bravely announced tourism will reopen in July.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

using the example of sex; you are effectively telling people not to have sex outside their households. That is ludicrous and reason enough to consider social distancing utterly pointless beyond another few weeks maximum.

Do you prefer to do it in the bushes or something?

There isn't proof of a second wave either for or against only theory and opinion. But opinion seems to be presented as fact at the moment regarding this.

Yes it's a wait and see period but regardless if it was going to explode again we would already be seeing extremely high case numbers in the likes of Austria, Denmark and Germany which we aren't. That's my opinion and the longer is stays that way the less likely I think and second wave is. Small case numbers as restrictions ease yes but manageable.

Yep, your opinion alright - and you're entitled to it.

But, personally, I'm going to pay a bit more heed to the opinions of the guys who are professors of immunology.

Plus, you wouldn't see extremely high cases straight away. Cases can be in pretty low numbers for a while before the growth rate begins to climb upwards again. That's exactly what happened the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Finally met up with a girl after 3 months , was terrible not to see each other but we made the sacrifice, we had a great time! Single people were not even thought of with these restrictions, it was all you need to stay in with your family etc and basically singles forgotten about and if they think people are going to social distance and not form new relationships they have lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

But, personally, I'm going to pay a bit more heed to the opinions of the guys who are professors of immunology.

Even they don’t agree it seems.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8357993/amp/Australian-health-official-says-second-wave-COVID-19-unlikely-transmission-sits-nearly-zero.html

HSE daily operations report just released.

As of 8pm 48 confirmed covid patients in ICU.

A huge drop in confirmed cases in acute hospitals tonight, as of 8pm 218 patients down from 288 last night.

9 cases confirmed in Irish hospitals in the last 24hrs

Plus, you wouldn't see extremely high cases straight away. Cases can be in pretty low numbers for a while before the growth rate begins to climb upwards again. That's exactly what happened the first time.

Experts completely divided on it. Head of public health in Denmark isn't expected a second wave, brands it highly unlikely now.

HSE daily operations report just released.

As of 8pm 48 confirmed covid patients in ICU.

A huge drop in confirmed cases in acute hospitals tonight, as of 8pm 218 patients down from 288 last night.

9 cases confirmed in Irish hospitals in the last 24hrs

#SecondWave :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

road_high wrote: »
    I don’t agree with someone so it’s an echo chamber....spell out your opinion and why, no one is stopping anyone.
    And btw I usually vote FG so there goes the anti government thing, I just don’t blindly follow all they say.

I usually vote FG too but am so disillusioned by their performance since lockdown and their absolutely clueless attitude to reopening. Not to mention the fact they and NPHET seem to be ignoring all the new and relevant data emerging suggesting we should be speeding up reopening exponentially.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement