Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I might add that of the 288 confirmed cases.
    The mater accounts for 55, Tallaght 42, Connolly and Beaumont 22 each.
    Other major Dublin hospitals, St James's 11, Vincent's 12.

Outside of Dublin the most is Limerick 16

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

SNNUS wrote: »
    Finally met up with a girl after 3 months , was terrible not to see each other but we made the sacrifice, we had a great time! Single people were not even thought of with these restrictions, it was all you need to stay in with your family etc and basically singles forgotten about and if they think people are going to social distance and not form new relationships they have lost the plot.

As a previous poster said it was part and parcel of the penal piety that’s been going on, enforced by a baying mob of crazies. The old Ireland of pointless penance and sacrifice. The lockdown foreva gang are fixated on this as evidenced by their forever changing goalposts. It’s their new religion.
    As Mrs Doyle once said “maybe I like the misery”? Couldn’t be more apt I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

HSE daily operations report just released.

As of 8pm 48 confirmed covid patients in ICU.

A huge drop in confirmed cases in acute hospitals tonight, as of 8pm 218 patients down from 288 last night.

9 cases confirmed in Irish hospitals in the last 24hrs

OPEN UP THE ECONOMY NOW, if not , we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

We better get Professor Killeen on here a second wave is guaranteed folks. Those hospital numbers are extremely high!

Experts completely divided on it. Head of public health in Denmark isn't expected a second wave, brands it highly unlikely now.

Those reckless Danes. What would they know?
    Imagine if we were back in the days of no internet? We’d be kept in the dark completely as to the real truth going on. I see this country in a whole new light after this. I naively thought we were pragmatic and outward looking. A huge cohort here is anything but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

This country needs a revolution. The lunatics are running the asylum. Open up most of the economy again, those that want to wrap themselves in cotton wool and never die, do it. The rest of us couldnt give a fcuk!

Let the misery merchants keep themselves inside for eternity. We wan't to get back to normality and actually begin to live our lives again.

Is that really a crime?

road_high wrote: »
    Those reckless Danes. What would they know?
    Imagine if we were back in the days of no internet? We’d be kept in the dark completely as to the real truth going on. I see this country in a whole new light after this. I naively thought we were pragmatic and outward looking. A huge cohort here is anything but

It's an incredibly backwards and small minded country. Probably many still with catholic guilt thinking we deserve it all due to the recent booms etc. I've been disgusted by the carry on here for a long long time. No leadership , nothing. Just a massive " wont somebody please think of the children attitude " insufferable and we have the fall here to mock American politics , lol!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    This country needs a revolution. The lunatics are running the asylum. Open up most of the economy again, those that want to wrap themselves in cotton wool and never die, do it. The rest of us couldnt give a fcuk!

Was saying it earlier...I’d get more sense and logic if I took a stroll around the local psychiatric hospital. Damning inditement of the general intelligence and critical faculties of Irish society from top to bottom. I love living in Ireland but can only now understand why previous generations had to leave- it must have been stifling in many ways

https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/136553/a-society-wrapped-in-cotton-wool

It’s getting popular over the last few months

• Advertisement

When the Mickey mouse virus disappears what will they come to with as an excuse to imprison us with next? Never leave the house and lower the daily death rate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Experts completely divided on it. Head of public health in Denmark isn't expected a second wave, brands it highly unlikely now.

The experts aren't completely divided.

There's a minority who believe one thing, but the consensus is that a second wave is entirely possible. That's not probable, now, possible.

I assure you I can find a lot more epidemiologists and immunologists who regard the threat as real, compared to those who don't.

But it doesn't really make any difference: there's absolutely no way you'll change your mind. So it is a waste of time for everyone.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Let the misery merchants keep themselves inside for eternity. We wan't to get back to normality and actually begin to live our lives again.

Is that really a crime?

If only they would...but personal responsibility and self reliance are alien concepts.
    Same people that were stocking up on bog roll in March, clearing shelves and blocking supermarkets so no one else could get a thing. They’re the most selfish, single minded reactionary loons imaginable. Lockdown for them is a national mirror image of their own lives so you can forget about any empathy with the rest of us that believe in actual living

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Another thing.. perhaps it's time to rethink the whole social distancing.

Me going to my neighbours house and giving them a hug is a lot different to a night out or a mass gathering. On a night out you might come within 2m of 500/600 people, however in small amounts the 2m rule could be relaxed.

When the Mickey mouse virus disappears what will they come to with as an excuse to imprison us with next? Never leave the house and lower the daily death rate ?

The imaginary second wave silly!

Was saying it earlier...I’d get more sense and logic if I took a stroll around the local psychiatric hospital. Damning inditement of the general intelligence and critical faculties of Irish society from top to bottom. I love living in Ireland but can only now understand why previous generations had to leave- it must have been stifling in many ways

I love this country and love the people. The economy made our country from a backward scrap heap to something to be proud of. I shiver when the reality beckons that I will have to leave Ireland , my family , kids , friends to make a decent living again. I can’t see any economic positivities long term after this shambles.. Other forward thinking countries with brave leadership have left us in the halfpenny place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

37 cases of a virus only killing elderly people in a nation of 4.5million.

Leo drinking in public with friends in the park, Simon Harris under the influence of something on live TV telling us this must go on until August when there will be zero cases/deaths by then. It is like shutting down the country for a few months in winter for the man-flu.

This needs to end NOW.

No deaths again in Denmark today. Looks like the second wave is underway in Denmark. I will hold a rosary bead service for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Arghus wrote: »
    The experts aren't completely divided.

There's a minority who believe one thing, but the consensus is that a second wave is entirely possible. That's not probable, now, possible.

I assure you I can find a lot more epidemiologists and immunologists who regard the threat as real, compared to those who don't.

But it doesn't really make any difference: there's absolutely no way you'll change your mind. So it is a waste of time for everyone.

If you read my posts again I've said its unlikely which is possible not probable. Again I've said it's all opinion not fact.

We continue to watch other countries but no sign of any surge and if that's still the case in a few weeks time then the second wave theory weakens. Until facts are provided how can I change my mind ?? You've not presented anything that's tangible only opinion the same as myself. I respect your opinion but it doesn't make the point that there may not be a second wave any less valid.

Growing number of countries dont seem to be panicking about a second wave, so why are we ? Should a small number of cases be experienced I'd like to think we're alot better equipped to deal with them than we were in March. Alot has changed in that regard

showpony1 wrote: »
    37 cases of a virus only killing elderly people in a nation of 4.5million.

Leo drinking in public with friends in the park, Simon Harris under the influence of something on live TV telling us this must go on until August when there will be zero cases/deaths by then. It is like shutting down the country for a few months in winter for the man-flu.

This needs to end NOW.

Harris is on the koolade for sure, definitely not the full schilling. Have a relation like that that gets very wound up by things to borderline obsession.

• Advertisement

Harris is on the koolade for sure, definitely not the full schilling. Have a relation like that that gets very wound up by things to borderline obsession.

I can’t believe he’s still in place after “18 other covid” gate. Even my 5 year old laughs at that YouTube clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

A calorie is a calorie

If you read my posts again I've said its unlikely which is possible not probable. Again I've said it's all opinion not fact.

We continue to watch other countries but no sign of any surge and if that's still the case in a few weeks time then the second wave theory weakens. Until facts are provided how can I change my mind ?? You've not presented anything that's tangible only opinion the same as myself.

Growing number of countries dont seem to be panicking about a second wave, so why are we ?

I don't have expert knowledge of the level of debate in other countries about their particular levels of panic regarding a second wave. I'm sure it's a subject in their wider discussions about covid 19.

But levels of panic are kind of irrelevant really. There was absolutely no panic anywhere in January, February and even into March in some places: but we still got hit. So how panicked or concerned we are or not about something can have very little bearing on what actually happens.

Frankly, it's a bit of an exaggeration to speak of panic. This thread is actually the most panicked thing I come into contact with. It's simply unreal reading most of the posts in here.

Most people - out there in the real world - are a bit more cheerful than what they were a few weeks ago. Even the tone from the DOH daily briefings is more upbeat, today they announced that they were going to start giving less of them: they even smiled about it. Laughter, from that inhuman beast Tony Holohan, imagine.

People are less gloomy, more patient and more optimistic out there. Things aren't perfect, but the country seems to be getting there. Honestly, this thread doesn't reflect how people generally are feeling out there and I'm still out there working, I meet people everyday. This thread is so nuts. It's boards insanity in the most purest form: it's hysterical.

We all are presenting opinion here. But one thing that is a fact is that we had - and Europe had - a first wave of the virus. And that began from a handful of cases. There would have been a point here where we would have had literally a handful of cases, which then grew, slowly at first, until we had a lot more.

That's fact: that happened. We all were here and observed it. So evidently, based on observable fact, the virus has exactly the same potential to do that again. Nothing has changed. So to warn of the dangers of a remergence of the virus isn't fiction or opinion it's based on what has just literally happened. The virus clearly spreads easily and quickly if given the chance, so why wouldn't you warn of the dangers of giving it a chance? That's not panic, that's just sensible advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

So odd our fate for foreseeable is in the hands of such an odd, creepy man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's an incredibly backwards and small minded country. Probably many still with catholic guilt thinking we deserve it all due to the recent booms etc. I've been disgusted by the carry on here for a long long time. No leadership , nothing. Just a massive " wont somebody please think of the children attitude " insufferable and we have the fall here to mock American politics , lol!

Are you still in Ireland? I thought you were heading off to Las Vegas or somewhere to make a fortune. What happened to that grand plan of yours?

marno21 wrote: »
    Another thing.. perhaps it's time to rethink the whole social distancing.

Me going to my neighbours house and giving them a hug is a lot different to a night out or a mass gathering. On a night out you might come within 2m of 500/600 people, however in small amounts the 2m rule could be relaxed.

But the reason you don't give your neighbour a hug is because you might have the virus and unwittingly give it to them, or vice versa. The fact that you're only hugging one person is irrelevant. That one person could still give it to you and you could still give it to them - that's the whole purpose of social distancing.

And it's pretty clear from everyone - pro or anti lockdown - across the board that social distancing - whether 1 metre or 2 metres - is the one absolutely crucial component of everything. Restrictions, lockdowns are all just crude and bulldozer like methods of effectively ensuring social distancing takes place. And once you start easing restrictions and trying to get back to a semblance of normal life, the absolute last thing to discard should be social distancing - which sucks, I know - because it's the most basic of all forms of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Hereditary is it? You've been on the rant all through the last 10 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

dalyboy wrote: »
    I can’t believe he’s still in place after “18 other covid” gate. Even my 5 year old laughs at that YouTube clip.

I thought his pathetic, transparent attempt to pass it off the next day was almost as bad. How this guy is our MoH is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

dalyboy wrote: »
    OPEN UP THE ECONOMY NOW, if not , we will.

How are you going to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I think the "won't someone please think of the children" attitude is an extremely welcome one as this is exactly what they didn't do when we were, as you say, a small minded backwards country.

But I agree with your sentiment to a point.

I have a close relative in their 50s, very healthy and not susceptible to this virus it seems. Yet doesn't want to hear of pubs, gaa pitches or anything deemed "fun" opening as it is not necessary in their eyes. How can you open them if it puts just one older person at any sort of risk they ask??
    Trying to reason with them is next to impossible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement