Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They could have dragged out the misery and limelight longer if they made it a twenty phase reopening...

The Gov.ie message is still "stay at home" ....... even now.

People are all out and about now, beaches , parks, streets, everywhere. People have had enough and are just getting on with things.

Maybe the Government are blindly ignoring this, maybe they know this is happening and yet they still peddle the same line, so if the virus comes back they blame people (fair enough). But I think we should all be on the same page and the Government should actually acknowledge what's happening and say "phases are being merged and time reduced between phases to 2 weeks". They really need to acknowledge what is obvious to every single one of us out there now - people are breaking Government restrictions everywhere, we are facing into our 4th Bank Holiday weekend. Nobody is staying at home. Change the tune.

The thread basically turned into

95% - open the economy.

5% - economy is not doomed, its fine, its gonna bounce back. 2nd wave might come and no point in looking at other countries because they ve only lifted restrictions for couple of weeks.

Its amazing this is my 4th week on this thread and the only thing that changed are the %s above. No 2nd wave has happened anywhere, anywhere...

In the meantime more good news, we are definitely on course for last kid in the class finish

BULGARIA TO OPEN RESTAURANTS, CULTURAL VENUES FROM JUNE 1

"Bulgaria will allow restaurants, bars and cafés to reopen at full capacity on June 1, Reuters reported.

Health Minister Kiril Ananiev published a new order on Tuesday allowing bars and restaurants to resume business ahead of the summer season, an important source of income for Bulgaria, a popular tourist destination.

Ananiev also gave the green light for cultural and entertainment events, including theaters, concerts and stage performances. Dance classes could also resume, using up to 30 percent of their indoor capacity and up to 50 percent of the outdoor capacity."

IF a second wave happens anywhere, it wont happen for months. Those countries that have removed lockdown, still have significant social distancing measuress in place which are proving successful in curtailing the spread, and also allow countries time to spot changes in trends before they become a wave. But this is not proof that a second wave will not happen, just evidence that a second wave wont happen with a significant level of social distancing. What happens after that remains to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

We have not had the time to see the effect of builders and hardware stores being back yet, however the data from elsewhere suggests we shouldn't. We did peak about 3 weeks later than most of Western Europe also.

What lockdown has done is suppress, distancing flattens. That's why in combination they work well. Suppress until you get to a level where distancing will allow you to maintain a low level, giving you a buffer to react if a new surge happens. I think a surge is unlikely however with social distancing, such as is in place now in the likes of Austria, Germany and Denmark, as evidence so far suggests this keeps R0 at or even slightly below 1. In the short term all businesses who can open with 2m restrictions or alternative distancing measure such as barriers should be allowed . In 6 weeks or so, this can be reduced to 1m with exceptions for those who provide close services such as hairdressers, and maintain a level of disease monitoring - random testing to identify potential new new clusters, anti-body testing to identify if the rate is increasing etc.

Where are you getting the idea that we peaked 3 weeks later than everyone else? All of Europe peaked around the week of 5th to 12th April except Spain and Italy who got hit about a week earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah saving as much as I can , to be blown in the city of sin, rather than the country of misery...

You can blow your money here as well mate if that's what you want to do, don't be so miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

pconn062 wrote: »
    One good part of the lockdown was how quiet and clean our local beauty spot beach was. Unfortunately as I ran past yesterday it was full again of the usual people who only go to the beach when the weather is good and on bank holidays, drinking cans and lighting BBQs. As I went by at 9pm last night the rubbish was already piling up; bottles, cans, kids toys, wrappers. Dreading to see what it will be like after this weekend.

Obvs people should be cleaning up after themselves but going beach, having few cans and a bbq is fine once social distancing. No rules been broken

They could have dragged out the misery and limelight longer if they made it a twenty phase reopening...

I'd say secretly you'd have loved that; it would have given you more opportunity to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

TheCitizen wrote: »
    You can blow your money here as well mate if that's what you want to do, don't be so miserable.

I'm not the one who wants the place locked down like the misery merchants and I know payback time for this is coming shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Arghus wrote: »
    Honestly, this thread doesn't reflect how people generally are feeling out there and I'm still out there working, I meet people everyday. This thread is so nuts. It's boards insanity in the most purest form: it's hysterical.

And yet you post on it multiple times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

the kelt wrote: »
    It’s funny but people are already changing their rhetoric without even noticing it.

In the space of a week posters who are very much in favour of the lockdown timetable as it stands were preaching from the altar of “the definite second wave” to it being possible, maybe etc etc.

It’s funny watching posters extol the virtues of being careful about what might happen when they previously described anyone worked about increased cancers or possible deaths from suicide as nothing but shrill panic merchants. And they don’t even get the irony.

One thing that has shone through this whole thing for me is that empathy for a death from Covid is through the roof whilst a non Covid related death is cast aside as “meh, that’s life

Probably most touching thing I read here. So true. But it does get infuriating when breast cancer check and cervical check services been cancelled for the last 11 weeks. So empathy is one thing, but government seems to think that non covid hospital treatments and procedures are non essential, which is the biggest proof of how incompetent they are and have been.

I wont ofc go into "lets give 200,000 people more money to keep them at home than what they'd earn working"

History books will not overlook what happened in this country in 2020. And will, rightfully so, remind me us of this tragedy for years and decades to come.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    One good part of the lockdown was how quiet and clean our local beauty spot beach was. Unfortunately as I ran past yesterday it was full again of the usual people who only go to the beach when the weather is good and on bank holidays, drinking cans and lighting BBQs. As I went by at 9pm last night the rubbish was already piling up; bottles, cans, kids toys, wrappers. Dreading to see what it will be like after this weekend.

I loved that aspect of lockdown too, and feel myself nostalgic for it already. But say yourself that this is just a return to normality, and what you describe is an Irish cultural problem rather than a COVID / relaxation of restrictions one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

People are all out and about now, beaches , parks, streets, everywhere. People have had enough and are just getting on with things.

Maybe the Government are blindly ignoring this, maybe they now this will happen and yet they still peddle the same line, so if the virus comes back they blame people (fair enough). But I think we should all be on the same page and the Government should actually acknowledge what's happening and say "phases are being merged and time reduced between phases to 2 weeks". They really need to acknowledge what is obvious to every single one of us out there now - people are breaking Government restrictions everywhere, we are facing into our 4th Bank Holiday weekend. Nobody is staying at home. Change the tune.

Ya, lots of people just moving on with it now. Lots of house party/ back garden BBQ and cans invites floating around for this weekend.

snowcat wrote: »
    Where are you getting the idea that we peaked 3 weeks later than everyone else? All of Europe peaked around the week of 5th to 12th April except Spain and Italy who got hit about a week earlier.

Peak daily cases in Italy - Week 3 March
    Spain, Germany, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland - Week 4 March
    France, Belgium, Denmark - Week 1 April
    Netherlands - Week 2 April
    UK, Ireland - Week 3 April
    Sweden - Week 4 April

I'm not the one who wants the place locked down like the misery merchants and I know payback time for this is coming shortly...

It's opening up, not as quick as we'd like. There was a payback no matter what. When they kept things open and business as usual in England for a little while longer than expected they got a different type of "payback" for it.

Personally I think they should reopen here quicker than planned given the recent figures but regardless it will be a reopening while living with the virus. Something tells me you'll continue complaining no matter what they do.

Peak daily cases in Italy - Week 3 March
    Spain, Germany, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland - Week 4 March
    France, Belgium, Denmark - Week 1 April
    Netherlands - Week 2 April
    UK, Ireland - Week 3 April
    Sweden - Week 4 April

Cases are not a good indicator with delays lags etc. Look at deaths for a more reliable indicator. All were week 2 April except Spain and Italy.

It's opening up, not as quick as we'd like. There was a payback no matter what. When they kept things open and business as usual in England for a little while longer than expected they got a different type of "payback" for it.

Personally I think they should reopen here quicker than planned given the recent figures but regardless it will be a reopening while living with the virus. Something tells me you'll continue complaining no matter what they do.

Not true. If govt lift all restrictions except social distancing by 29th of June, I will officially retire from boards never to post again.

And I think good few posters here will do the same as euphoria will kick in, they ll be booking their flights to German beer gardens, south of Spain or Greece beaches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Maybe the Government are blindly ignoring this, maybe they now this will happen and yet they still peddle the same line, so if the virus comes back they blame people (fair enough). But I think we should all be on the same page and the Government should actually acknowledge what's happening and say "phases are being merged and time reduced between phases to 2 weeks". They really need to acknowledge what is obvious to every single one of us out there now - people are breaking Government restrictions everywhere, we are facing into our 4th Bank Holiday weekend. Nobody is staying at home. Change the tune.

Of course the Parks Beaches etc will be jammed this weekend, If our leader is allowed go Picnic and have a drink in the Park when were were advised not too, of course people are going to say **** that im doing it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Cases are not a good indicator with delays lags etc. Look at deaths for a more reliable indicator

514406.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Jackman25 wrote: »
    And yet you post on it multiple times a day.

I guess he likes throwing his toys out of the pram because some people on the internet had the audacity to disagree with him.

Not true. If govt lift all restrictions except social distancing by 29th of June, I will officially retire from boards never to post again.

And I think good few posters here will do the same as euphoria will kick in, they ll be booking their flights to German beer gardens, south of Spain or Greece beaches.

Well I wasn't talking to you but it certainly appears that a form of groupthink has taken over this thread entirely and I may as well have been talking to you.

So if the government lift restrictions bar social distancing you're going to bail out to Germany, Spain or Greece? What's that got to do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Of course the Parks Beaches etc will be jammed this weekend, If our leader is allowed go Picnic and have a drink in the Park when were were advised not too, of course people are going to say **** that im doing it aswell
    You can get a lot of people into parks and onto beaches even with the 2m gap. Just being outside doesn't automatically imply bad behaviour and those surveys along with lots of anecdotal reports suggests there is not a widescale lack of compliance. People are allowed to be hopeful and they can do so responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

We are facing a raft of new taxes and charges, a scythe will be taken to social-spending across the board and when the clappy-seals, sitting on their holes watching Netflix finally wake up to it, it'll already be far too late.

clappy-seals:D
    I love it and will re-use. thank you

Cases are not a good indicator with delays lags etc. Look at deaths for a more reliable indicator. All were week 2 April except Spain and Italy.

Are deaths really a good indicator of the peak either though, considering some live for weeks on ventilation, while others pass in just a few days. Deaths is the better indicator of overall impact in the country however. Data on ICU admissions would probably be the best indicator of peak

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    514406.jpeg

That is total confirmed deaths. The steepest area of the slope is where the peak was. Its easier to look at worldometers and the deaths section to see where the peak was. The total confirmed deaths does not give any information about peaks unless you calculate the maximum slope of the curve.

Well I wasn't talking to you but it certainly appears that a form of groupthink has taken over this thread entirely and I may as well have been talking to you.

So if the government lift restrictions bar social distancing you're going to bail out to Germany, Spain or Greece? What's that got to do with it?

Celebrations. Dont you think that after 2.5 months of misery we deserve a holiday? You know there are people on German forums saying the same thing planning their trip to Dublin, Temple bar... no point in going to Spain or Greece in December you know.

But this is all wishful thinking. Last time I checked only thing govt did in relation to the "great plan" is to bring forward horse racing. And shaft IKEA for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Probably most touching thing I read here. So true. But it does get infuriating when breast cancer check and cervical check services been cancelled for the last 11 weeks. So empathy is one thing, but government seems to think that non covid hospital treatments and procedures are non essential, which is the biggest proof of how incompetent they are and have been.

I wont ofc go into "lets give 200,000 people more money to keep them at home than what they'd earn working"

History books will not overlook what happened in this country in 2020. And will, rightfully so, remind me us of this tragedy for years and decades to come.
    History doesn't do tragedy nor this level of minutiae regurgitation, that's for journalists looking to make a buck or people with an axe to grind. For an unknown virus we have got quite a bit right and forearmed and prepared we can get an awful lot more right when we face it or another pathogen into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Wibbs wrote: »
    From my travels and observations around Dublin anyway, things are definitely relaxing, government or not. There's the beginnings of a "rush hour" in traffic in the mornings, more traffic in general and places and businesses opening up on the quiet. Good.

If there is a "second wave" - and I suspect there won't be, or it'll be a small blip, for the summer anyway - we'll see some evidence of it towards the end of the first June fortnight. A lot of this concern, even panic about the second wave comes from the 1918 pandemic, a very different pandemic and a very different virus and very different sets of circumstances.

Thank you finally someone who realizes that the world in 1918 has more in common with the ****ing moon than the world today. I always thought it was an idiotic comparison meant to frighten people.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Celebrations. Dont you think that after 2.5 months of misery we deserve a holiday? You know there are people on German forums saying the same thing planning their trip to Dublin, Temple bar... no point in going to Spain or Greece in December you know.

But this is all wishful thinking. Last time I checked only thing govt did in relation to the "great plan" is to bring forward horse racing. And shaft IKEA for 3 weeks.

Haha the IKEA thing was hilarious. They knew the place would be mobbed so they shafted every homeware shop in the country. They are a clown act.

Are deaths really a good indicator of the peak either though, considering some live for weeks on ventilation, while others pass in just a few days. Deaths is the better indicator of overall impact in the country however. Data on ICU admissions would probably be the best indicator of peak

Yes. We will never know when exactly the peak was but ICU occupation for all European countries was on the decline from around week 2 April. I had it mapped at one stage. Ill dig it out for you if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

The only way a relaxation happens is if we start lobbying government. Unless we are contacting our TDs and putting the pressure on and they put the pressure on Harris the timetable will stay

Whom is it best to hassle regarding the restart of the National screening programme? I am overdue 2 of those and I’m really anxious and annoyed, their helplines are useless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement